Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

"Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League"
KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT. "I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with 100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season. “You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/barcelona-and-real-madrid-would-not-dominate-in-the-premier-league-says-chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-10260077.html

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "privileges" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

Barcelona etc currently have 103-19 in goal-difference (19-0 in the last 5 league matches). and have taken 37 out of 39 points in the last 13.

Meanwhile Chelsea who totally dominates the BPL has taken 27 out of 37 possible points.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually managed Real for 3 consecutive years?

picture credit:liomessi10

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real
Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they
do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at
Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because
there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup
competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT.
"I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with
100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all
season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season.

“You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you
don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a
big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La
Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier
League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/barcelona-and-real-madrid-would-not-dominate-in-the-premier-league-says-chelsea-manager-jose-mourinho-10260077.html

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "priviligies" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

Barcelona etc currently have 103-19 in goal-difference (19-0 in the last 5 league matches). and have taken 37 out of 39 points in the last 13.

Meanwhile Chelsea who totally dominates the BPL has taken 27 out of 37 possible points.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually manages Real for 3 consecutive years?

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes that giants Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League in the same way as they do in La Liga. The Chelsea manager, who won La Liga once in his three year spell at Real Madrid, claims the two clubs would struggle in England because there is too much competition, even from lower league teams in cup competitions.

"I was in Spain, but I didn’t enjoy," he told TalkSPORT. "I didn’t enjoy it because I won a title with a record in Spain with 100 points and 121 goals, but we played only three or four matches all season."

"I lost a title with 92 points, but again we played only four or five matches in the season. “You feel the pressure that you have to win every match because if you don’t you are not champions. You have to win and win and win. But it is a big, big gap between the giants and the others."

"I think the difference between the two leagues [Premier League and La Liga] is huge. Would they [Barcelona or Real Madrid] win the Premier League? Maybe yes. Maybe not."

Considering Barcelona average about 1.05 in odds against the average-weaker teams (meaning that the betting sites believe that Barcelona will WIN 19 out of 20 games against that opposition and STILL have a margin of profit return) I think he might be on to something here. Yes, both Barcelona and Real Madrid are way better than the top teams in England. Note, I'm not arguing this very fact. But when teams have "priviligies" like Barca or Real (You know what I mean right ;) ) it's not weird that either team win year after year.

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually manages Real for 3 consecutive years?

What are your thoughts? Would Barcelona and Real Madrid dominate in the BPL or do you agree with Mourinho who actually managed Real for 3 consecutive years?

Comments
AlexBatak 9 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Oh it's this topic again. Anyone wants some popcorn?

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

bluezz 9 years ago
Chelsea 14 724

the first paragraph is totally different to what mourinho said lol all he said was he didn't enjoy spain because only 3 or 4 teams could actually give him a tough game whereas in england its more competitive and i think everyone knows that but of course la liga is more stronger than the epl
for me real madrid and barcelona would not dominate epl but have higher chances of winning it compared to others...

tuan_jinn 9 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I say they would, at this moment... But it wont last long just becuz Mou would find someways to stop it, either cash it out or tatically stop it.

Back to the interview, I think the translation got lost somewhere, otherwise this is my summary after reading it: Guys, I won EPL this year, and it is freaking hard, it remarkbly difficult compare to Spain, this is the real deal, EPL is... To win here is much more difficult than Spain

• History

I say they would, at this moment... But it wont last long just becuz Mou would find someways to stop it, either cash it out or tatically stop it.

Back to the interview, I think the translation got lost somewhere, otherwise this is my sumary after reading it: Guys, I won EPL this year, and it is freaking hard, it remarkbly difficultcompare to Spain, this is the real deal, EPL is... To win here is much more difficult than Spain

Back to the interview, I think the translation got lost somewhere, otherwise this is my summary after reading it: Guys, I won EPL this year, and it is freaking hard, it remarkbly difficultcompare to Spain, this is the real deal, EPL is... To win here is much more difficult than Spain

Madridista11 9 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

I agree with Mou. There is a HUGE difference between winning the league and dominating it. Teams in the BPL might not be better than the two giants, but one cannot deny that they do pose a threat to their points tally.

In my opinion, out of 10 BPL seasons, Real Madrid and Barcelona would win 6 trophies combined, while Chelsea, City, and Utd will share the remaining. Dominance is when the difference between 2nd and 3rd is 30 points (Barcelona & Valencia, 2012). That ain't never happening in the BPL. 10 points sounds reasonable.

Enjoyneer_RED 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 43 257

^ real madrid have won one la liga title in 7 years with multi million squad and competing with only barcelona, what about if they came to EPL and compete with united, city , chelsea and will face teams like arsenal , liverpool , tottenham, etc . barcelona would be a huge threat to the epl but as @bluezz said would they dominate from the first week till the last one and perform outstandingly, i think not

chooyaochuen 9 years ago
Manchester United 4 226

same crap...... yawwnnn............

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

don't fuckin comment on it then n00b ^

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Atletico and Valencia would be strong contenders, Barça/Real will put Chelsea 12pts behind.
Mourinho is buthurt, 1 trophy in 3 years thats his lowest record...

Im very glad we have CL to shut those stupid claims down, if there is any strenght in England, they should proove it in CL or EL, when i see the 5th Liverpool vs Europe, or the 6th Spurs Vs Fiorentina comparing to the 5th Sevilla, i just have to say that top 5 of Spain are stronger and the strongest in Europe.

So let those stupid claims come, we face in CL = you loose...

Barça VS Man City : 4 games 4 wins, in Spain and England yeah so maybe City has a championship level like Spanish teams...

Madrid VS Liverpool this year : 0-3 in England, 1-0 in Spain without even playing at 100%...

• History

Atletico and Valencia would be strong contenders, Barça/Real will put Chelsea 12pts behind.

Mourinho is buthurt, 1 trophy in 3 years thats his lowest record...

Im very glad we have CL to shut those stupid claims down, if there is any strenght in England, they should proove it in CL or EL, when i see the 5th Liverpool vs Europe, or the 6th Spurs Vs Fiorentina comparing to the 5th Sevilla, i just have to say that top 5 of Spain are stronger and the strongest in Europe.

So let those stupid claims come, we face in CL = you loose...

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

PL this year was very easy to win for Mou, his mind games wont make it more difficult, even top 5 were easy to beat this year with all the rebuilding and problems they got...
He tries to make it look complicated so he can forget his CL compain, and then he will sign from Spain in transfer window :)

Mourinho should stop hating for free, he doesnt like Spain, its alright because Spain doesnt like him, he ruined Clasicos and now he is ruining PL big games VS Arsenal and United so nobody is missing him even neutrals...

He should also stop whining about Barça, he should be grateful he got Fabregas for a decent price while he refused to give any player to Barça even the unwanted for his tactics, he isnt welcome as a coach despite offering his services when he was at Inter, he should forget Barça and Spain and concentrate on winning his easy league at the moment...

• History

PL this year was very easy to win for Mou, his mind games wont make it more difficult, even top 5 were easy to beat this year with all the rebuilding and problems they got...
He tries to make it look complicated so he can forget his CL compain, and then he will sign from Spain in transfer window :)

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

It's good that we've got football expert on the internet that knows better than a manager that has managed teams in Spain/England/Italy with great success and thus should know a thing or two about the leagues..

Also, I don't get the translation got lost part? Have you guys listen to the actual intervieew?

"but we played only three or four matches all season." - Mou just meant that there were few games that offered competativness, which is true? I mean Barca and Real are amazing teams so how could any team beat them fair and square? Hence the usual odds of 1.05.. and hence the 103-19 goal tally.. That's just SICK. They average 1 goal against them every second game.

Meanwhile Chelsea who dominate the EPL has dropped points against Sunderland, Burnley and Newcastle.. I mean meating Stoke away is a game everyone should fear or meeting Crystal Palace in good form with Pardew as captain.. far from sure wins.. Would easily be happy with a point from those games.. Would Barcelona be happy with a point against Getafe? or against Rayo Vallecano? Or in fact against any team other than the top 5?

KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago

also @tiki, when did Mou whine about Barca? and he's not hating, is he? Are you really that easily offended by the truth?

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Probably wrong year to speak after Chelsea dominated whole season alone...

raimondo90 9 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

"Meanwhile Chelsea who dominate the EPL has dropped points against
Sunderland, Burnley and Newcastle.. I mean meating Stoke away is a game
everyone should fear or meeting Crystal Palace in good form with Pardew
as captain.. far from sure wins.. Would easily be happy with a point
from those games.. Would Barcelona be happy with a point against Getafe?
or against Rayo Vallecano? Or in fact against any team other than the
top 5?"

If you consider yourself as one of the best teams in Europe, you do not feel happy about getting a point from a mid table team. That is pathetic. Champions are only happy from wins. Chelsea having trouble against Sunderland? sure, the media works wonders for the EPL.

Each league has strengths and weaknesses. I cannot agree with Mou when he says that Real and Barca wouldnt dominate. The last two CL finals have featured these teams. Real and Barca would easily get 3 points from most games. There are a only 2 or 3 games that would really trouble them.

TheGame 9 years ago Edited
Manchester United 104 1380

I am not sure if they'll dominate, but both of them are better than all the current teams in the PL so I have no doubt they'll win the league. Real Madrid would be up to the physicality and Barca's way of playing makes physicality irrelevant. Not to mention MSN; name me one team in the PL capable of stopping those 3 top strikers for 90 minutes. Chelsea would be their best challengers and that is only with parking the bus. This article is bogus; where does Mou say or even remotely imply that "Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League". "Maybe. Maybe not." is not an assertive response.

• History

I am not sure if they'll dominate, but both of them are better than all the current teams in the PL so I have no doubt they'll win the league. Real Madrid would be up to the physicality and Barca's way of playing makes physicality irrelevant. Not to mention MSN; name me one team in the PL capable of stopping those 3 top strikers for 90 minutes. Chelsea would be the only ones capable and that is still a stretch. This article is bogus; where does Mou say or even remotely imply that "Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League". He just said that he wasn't sure.

I am not sure if they'll dominate, but both of them are better than all the current teams in the PL so I have no doubt they'll win the league. Real Madrid would be up to the physicality and Barca's way of playing makes physicality irrelevant. Not to mention MSN; name me one team in the PL capable of stopping those 3 top strikers for 90 minutes. Chelsea would be their best challengers and that is only with parking the bus. This article is bogus; where does Mou say or even remotely imply that "Barcelona and Real Madrid would not dominate in the Premier League". He just said that he wasn't sure.

DrunkenMonkey 9 years ago
West Ham United, England 16 204

Love these threads.

CroatiaFan123 9 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Nobody can't answer this question perfectly.

• History

Nobody can't answer this question perfectly.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Haha, same topic again and again. Madrid and Barca are much better than any EPL team right now. I believe the point tallies would be the same for both the Spanish giants. The fact that Chelsea is content with getting less than 3 points from any match shows that they do not have the mentality of a winner. And neither do any of the other English teams. You know what else they don't have? The capability of being a winner as well. Win the Champions League or reach the final/semi-final to show that you're a true winner. And I don't mean park the bus to the final and beat Bayern on penalties, I mean play good football for everyone to admire and make it to the semis. Then can you show the rest of the world that you are a strong team. Since no English team has been able to do that since United in 2011, it's hard to believe that mid-table teams from their league can take away points from Madrid/Barca.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I believe @JuanMata10 said this in another thread. The top half of La Liga > the top half of EPL. The bottom half of EPL > the top half of La Liga. I'm more or less with this. The bottom half of EPL are collectively better on average than the bottom half of La Liga. But the top halves are much more skewed. The level of talent is very even in the EPL and the teams don't get ridiculously better as you move up the table. However, La Liga teams just skyrocket in terms of how good they are around the 5th place mark. It should be fairly obvious that the top 5 in La Liga are better than their respective counterparts in the EPL (Barca > Chelsea, Madrid > City, Atleti > Arsenal, Valencia > United, Sevilla > Liverpool).

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Valencia better than United? No way.