Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Bartomeu out in front.
tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

According to an exclusive survey carried out by SigmaDos for MARCA, Josep Maria Bartomeu would win the elections for the Barcelona presidency if they were held today.
The most recent president currently has an eight-point lead over Joan Laporta, who came second, albeit with a comfortable gap separating him from the third-placed candidate, Agustí Benedito. Considering Benedito only picked up support from 2.3% of respondents, he would seem to be out of the race despite there being over two weeks of campaigning to go.

The question is whether or not Laporta (27.5%) is able to close the gap on Bartomeu (35.7%). There are two key factors to consider. The first is the long campaign that is still to run, particularly with the last week likely to be decisive. The second hinges on the undecided voters (24.1%) who are yet to be swayed and could swing the contest.

The two big favourites have defined voting niches. The elections can be considered a generational battle between young and old.
Laporta has young people on his side, those who grew up with him as president and a trophy-winning side under Frank Rijkaard. Bartomeu, on the other hand, has older members' votes as they see him as a more trustworthy candidate.

From Marca.

Former Barcelona president Joan Laporta has announced that legendary club player and manager Johan Cruyff will be joining his election campaign.Laporta, who is aspiring to take the reins of the club again in the upcoming elections, said Cruyff "is motivated, with ideas and drive to do a lot of things".
The aspiring candidate for the Barcelona post attended an event at the Johan supporters' club in Santa Coloma de Gramenet, where Laporta has always been favourably seen.Laporta said it is a "privilege" that Cruyff will be joining him in the electoral campaign. He also received the support of Pep Guardiola a few days ago, though the coach will probably be unable to vote on 18th July.
"I'm very grateful for Pep Guardiola's support. He's already said some wonderful things", added the candidate.Laporta's team, in terms of former Barça players, is starting to take shape. The presidential candidate has also revealed that Enric Masip (handball) will be among those invited to present his plan for the new project.
In addition, Laporta also has the backing Argentine Gaby Cairo (roller hockey), Javi Rodríguez (futsal), Roger Grimau, Audie Norris and Roger Esteller (basketball), as well as the proposed sporting director, Éric Abidal, and former club captain José Ramón Alexanko, who would take charge of La Masia once more.

Marca

Laporta has always been my favourite, he wants Unicef rather than Qatar in the shirts wich is important for me, and specially bring Cruyff there and give la Masia the keys again.

Those who are in charge just won the treble and signed Neymar and Suarez, put Luis Enrique in charge, but they ruined Barça before in many aspects, they were signing the wrong players 3 years in a row, they took charge in 2010 and surfed on the long term work done by the pervious direction, they focused on the marketting and how to make the club richer but till this year, they seemed to have no clue on the sportive management.

Appoint the assistance of Guardiola Tito may he rest in peace was not a good choice since it was a copy of Guardiola, his replacement was very late and kept a top team without a coach for 6 month, then focusing on untransferable players like Thiago Silva or Marquinhos without getting a proper plan B, relying on Messi, bringing the club in scandals, not believing in La Masia, Horizontal stripes playing with the clubs identity....

If Bartomeu wins it wont be a nightmare, the team can still do good in the near future, and we dont know how Laporta will do in charge even if he seems more interested on whats happening on the pitch and has a vision of Football ( Cryjf's one ).

Despite not liking the Qatar label im not against the adds if the contract is very interesting financially, if Laporta ban adds thats 40M lost, it was odd when the adds has started ib shirts with Qatar fondation or Airways, but im kind of used to it, but i still wants to see Qatar out of there.

Also im very sceptical seeing Abidal as a sportive director, i dont know if he is good enough yo handle it, but i would rather see Barça fail under Laporta than Bartomeu, the squad looks on autopilot, players and coach arent affected by off pitch issues so yes Go Laporta !

Comments
Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

It would be nice to see Laporta back. Barca has more identity with Laporta.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Yep, but i dont know what would Abidal be able to do at sporting direction...

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited

BARÇA PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION DEBATE:
Bartomeu comes out swinging.

Josep Maria Bartomeu's fear of debates proved unfounded: he rolled with the punches on Tuesday night. Toni Freixa spoke brilliantly, while Joan Laporta was erratic.

Bartomeu drew first blood and then defended himself creditably
The most recent president caused a stir early on by dubbing Laporta's programme "very simple". He was practically never against the ropes, tempering the Neymar affair through his use of legal jargon, dodging the FIFA ban and defending his record with La Masia through stats. The Qatar issue was where he most suffered. He didn't offer much by the way of new projects, but still came out the winner.

Laporta not aggressive enough to corner Bartomeu
The lawyer warmed up as the night wore on, but wasted time. He cut an assured figure, always smiling and speaking with conviction, but was missing a good plan of attack. His highlight came when comparing the current model to Florentino Pérez's approach.

Agustí Benedito not up to scratch
Debates were supposed to be one of Benedito's strengths: they were key in him getting 8,000 votes in the last elections. However, he lacked spark and looked tired. For much of the time he was a mere spectator while his rivals went at it. His best moment was during the discussion about Qatar.

Freixa won over plenty of new fans
The big surprise. He kept on point, while bringing lots of ideas to the table. He landed a hit when explaining how Bartomeu didn't consult the board about vital decisions and offered a good analysis of the interrupted talent conveyor belt from La Masia and the over-spending on transfers. He ruffled Bartomeu's feathers when associating him with Real Madrid by comparing the club's recent operations to the 'Galáctico' policy.

Marca.

Damn, Laporta lost the debate to Bartomeu, this is very crucial on the result because it influence the socios votes. La Masia is wasted but at the same time im not against seing Turan and Vidal signed, big dilema for fans here.

Well if Bartomeu is elected, despite not being my first choice, he seems different to Rossell, he takes some responsabilities as he was part of the boar before becoming president, but since he got there he did some good job.
Lol The Qatar logo seems like a big deal in the elections, im not against having a sponsor and getting extra-money but they should take another one.
With all my respect to Qatar airways who looks very proffessional structure and one of the best Airways in the world, the word ''Qatar'' is annoying in the catalan shirt, they should look for another sponsor.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Josep Maria Bartomeu's fear of debates proved unfounded: he rolled with the punches on Tuesday night. Toni Freixa spoke brilliantly, while Joan Laporta was erratic.

The most recent president caused a stir early on by dubbing Laporta's programme "very simple". He was practically never against the ropes, tempering the Neymar affair through his use of legal jargon, dodging the FIFA ban and defending his record with La Masia through stats. The Qatar issue was where he most suffered. He didn't offer much by the way of new projects, but still came out the winner.

The lawyer warmed up as the night wore on, but wasted time. He cut an assured figure, always smiling and speaking with conviction, but was missing a good plan of attack. His highlight came when comparing the current model to Florentino Pérez's approach.

Debates were supposed to be one of Benedito's strengths: they were key in him getting 8,000 votes in the last elections. However, he lacked spark and looked tired. For much of the time he was a mere spectator while his rivals went at it. His best moment was during the discussion about Qatar.

The big surprise. He kept on point, while bringing lots of ideas to the table. He landed a hit when explaining how Bartomeu didn't consult the board about vital decisions and offered a good analysis of the interrupted talent conveyor belt from La Masia and the over-spending on transfers. He ruffled Bartomeu's feathers when associating him with Real Madrid by comparing the club's recent operations to the 'Galáctico' policy.

Marca.

Damn, Laporta lost the debate to Bartomeu, this is very crucial on the result because it influence the socios votes. La Masia is wasted but at the same time im not against seing Turan and Vidal signed, big dilema for fans here.

Marca.

Well if Bartomeu is elected, despite not being my first choice, he seems different to Rossell, he takes some responsabilities as he was part of the boar before becoming president, but since he got there he did some good job.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Bartomeu won the élections :(, well they made theri own choice now. I wanted Laporta but good luck Bartomeu.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Not sure what this means for Barca because I haven't followed them recently. How do you think Bartomeu will do as president for a second time?

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Well there was 2 Bartomeu's, the vice president of Rossell and the part time president after Rossell departure. I hated the first and his president management, the second looked good, reactive and doing good choices...

They took charge in 2010 or 2011, they benefitted from the previous board work on sportive work, they made sure to make grow Barça and live in the long term but they completely ignored the squad weaknesses, they should have signed at least a CB and a striker, they didnt for years...

The first time in History i saw a team without a coach for more than 6 months ( RIP Tito ), they took charge to make décisions while they struggled in sportive ones...

This last year and the rebuilding was good, they did the right choice on the coach and signed players Barça needed.

But they got Lucky to deliver in the election year, because if the élections were on last year, they would have got less than 10% votes.

I try to convince myself that Bartomeu isnt Rossell, i dont like whats happening to La Masia ( the youngsters not getting a chance to break through ). But it will sound odd for others that i criticize the board who '' brought '' the treble, even if i think that most of Barça players are in auto-pilot because they know that they cant have a bad season and keep their precious starting place.

Anyway 51% voted for Bartomeu, Laporta got 35%, the socios made their choice. The squad is settled for at least 3 years if they try to keep the atmosphere healthy between players and manage egos and wages fairly.

All he has to do is keeping the club progression, Camp Nou renovation and reducing the debt. As long as Barça has Messi-Suarez in a great form, im not worried about pitch issues...

Laporta would have brought some fresh air and a little more values to the club, Bartomeu isnt the worst club president, its actually the opposite considering other clubs are rulled by buisnessmen.

netsten 9 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

Very interesting to see how politics works in sport today, at least there's a simili-choice, I'm waiting for the Real Madrid election...

tiki_taka 9 years ago

^ That will be explosive, last year Perez would have won easily, this year with all the gates he is linked to, Ancelotti, Casillas Farewell, DDG gate, Ramos. Perez looks in toruble, but he has a big network and load of experience.

It will depend on who will race with him for presidency...

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Perez will win again. His sportive decisions are atrocious, but his business decisions are top-class.