Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

How far is too far?
SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

In wake of the Cavani incident, I have seen many opinions flashing around the internet, but they all involve one main theme - Mr. I'mgoingtostickmyfingerupyourbutt was in the wrong. But as was clear during the game, it was Cavani who was punished for it, not the aforementioned Mr. Now sure, he will probably be banned, lose face, etc etc etc, but the end result was that Chile won, in no small part for the red card to Cavani.
Justice was not served here.

Obviously, soccer/futbol is opening up a little more to replay - see goal line technology, which pretty much everyone agrees is a good idea - but how about red cards? Would it really hurt to have the fourth, (or maybe a fifth?) referee to just quickly look over a replay and find out who is in the wrong? It wouldn't slow down the game, most referee's take at least a full minute or two to check with assistants, listen to players, and consider their own perspective before dishing out the card.

That's the first point I'd like to make.

The second point is this: people have been bringing back old arguments in the Cavani discussion, and one that was brought up was the Suarez incident. Not the biting, but the handball on the line versus Ghana. So I'd like to ask you guys something.

For a moment, forget that Suarez is a racist, cheating, diving piece of garbage. If your team was in the quarter-final of the World Cup, and the game is tied in the 120th minute, and you have the choice to commit a handball to prevent a goal and concede a penalty + red card, or simply allow the goal and have no chance at winning the game and progressing in the World Cup, do you commit the handball?

Now for me, the answer is an obvious yes. I like to think I'm honorable, but I would consider that a tactical foul. What would you guys do? And going back to the Cavani incident, how do you think issues like that should be handled in the future? Hit me.

Comments
Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I'd perform Suarez's handball any day of the week if it was in the World Cup quarterfinal like that. However, his bites are plain stupid and unnecessary. Jara's play-acting was also pathetic and unnecessary, and served to give his team an unfair advantage.

The difference between Suarez's handball and Jara's diving: Suarez was duly punished for his actions, Jara was not. Referee spotted it immediately and sent Suarez off, and rightly so. Gyan's miss afterwards was his own fault. Suarez gave him the opportunity on a plate and he missed. The correct actions were taken by the referee after the handball. It was a gamble that paid off. Jara's diving, however, was a simple act of cheating to give his team an unfair advantage.