Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Sepp Blatter claims Messi didn't deserve Golden Ball 2014
Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

"I think the decision was an incorrect one," Blatter said, per Marca. "I was surprised when I received the decision that had been decided by the committee.

"They told me that they only considered 10 players that played in the final."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2247846-sepp-blatter-lionel-messi-didnt-deserve-the-world-cups-golden-ball

NOW, this is from Marca, and Madrid based newspaper. Knowing how outspoken Blatter is, we'll know if this quote is fake or not judging from his (lack of) response(s) in the coming weeks. If he doesn't say anything, the quote is true. If he speaks out against Marca, the quote is fake.

Comments
KTBFFHSWE 9 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

Bleacherreport is hobby sports journalism. Marca is a shitty unreliable source. Blatter is a corrupt piece of shit. Messi only got the award because of his adidas sponsorship. Blatter just wants to save hiw own sorry ass because everyone already know the truth behind the award.

tuan_jinn 9 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

This is on goal.com and other news now so I think it's official...
http://www.goal.com/en/news/3790/world-cup-2014/2014/10/28/5574031/blatter-messi-didnt-deserve-world-cup-2014s-golden-ball?ICID=HP_BN_4

I really think Blatter shouldn't be the one saying this...

As for the world cup: well he might not be the best but to a lot of other fans, he IS... so do Robben, Kroos, James... Let's not talk about who's better, I will put down some stats:

• Reach the final
  • Top scorers in his teams (4 goals)
  • Most assists
  • Most successful dribbles
  • Most direct intercept as a forward...
  • 90% of his goal came directly from his architect and most of his team's goal came from him.
  • 4 times MOTM deservedly.

He scored against weak teams? ok? then where were other stars?

• Argentina last time in the final was 24 years ago while Germany, Netherlands were all in the final in the last 4 years (12 for Brazil).
  • Argentina won against Netherlands who was surprisingly exceptional in the WC, and even Robben (the most dangerous player in WC couldn't score)... and lost against the invincible Germany in extra time.

His presence on the field alone and when he has the ball already make the opponent shaky and couldn't be so confidient to go forward.

Now, everyone can has their own opinion, but the president said that in public???

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tuan

Where did you get that 'most assists' statistic? He only gave one assist, and that was to di Maria against the Swiss.

Messi had 46 successful dribbles, compared to the next-highest of 29 of Robben.

He created 23 chances, averaging 3.3 per game. Remember, 'chances created' refers to passes that led to a shot. With players like di Maria, Higuain, Palacio, and Lavezzi in the team, a LOT of shots were taken from improbable angles. This statistic does not necessarily reflect a player's creative abilities.

He was, however, outpassed by Manuel Neuer. Neuer completed 244 passes compared to Messi's 242. That says a lot about how 'well' Messi did during the World Cup.

However, statistics aren't everything to determine how good a player is. Did he put in the mesmerizing performances to convince all that he was truly deserving? There is a beauty to the game, and in my heart, Messi didn't win me over with his World Cup performances. Maybe it is because I am so used to his incredibly high standards, but when it comes to being the 'best', the criteria is harsh.

For me, James was mesmerizing in every game he played. He had complete control over the ball as well as his entire team. Mascherano was also brilliant, shutting down every attack before it started. He was also the 'true' captain of the team, as all Messi did was walk around lazily while Mascherano tried to get his team together and hold on to the games. Robben was also excellent, very entertaining to watch. Neuer has already won the Golden Glove, no need to mention him here.

My point being: when judging performances, statistics don't do justice. Lahm is one of the best fullbacks of our generation, probably THE best, but we can't judge that from statistics alone. Neither can you judge that Xavi or Iniesta are two of the greatest midfielders of all-time. Statistics don't do them justice. In the same way, just because a player has moderate or great statistics doesn't mean that he is the best. Messi's key passes and dribbles rates are impressive, but that's all he did during the match. He got the ball once or twice, and tried to dribble past a few guys and either shoot or pass it elsewhere.

liomessi10 9 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

messi had the most man of the match awards.
3rd most goals.
most successful runs.
held the ball longer than any other player

seymorebutts_66 9 years ago Edited
Bayern Munich, Germany 10 422

Messi Should never have got the Golden Ball
Top 5 rated in order on the Fifa list based on matches played, minutes played, goals scored, assists.
1-James Rodriguez ( 5 / 399 / 6 / 2 )___2-Thomas Mueller ( 7 / 682 / 5 / 3)__3-Neymar ( 5 / 457 / 4 / 1)__4-Lionel Messi ( 7 / 693 / 4 / 1)___5-Robin Van Persie ( 6 / 548 / 4 / 0)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Players▴▾Matches Played▴▾Minutes Played▴▾Total Goals scored▴▾Assists▴▾Penalties scored▴▾Goals scored with the left foot▴▾Goals scored with the right foot▴▾Headed goals▴▾James RODRIGUEZ5399621411Thomas MUELLER7682531140NEYMAR5457411130Lionel MESSI7693410400Robin VAN PERSIE6548401301

Top 5 rated in order on the Fifa list based on matches played, minutes played, goals scored, assists.

1-James Rodriguez 5 / 399 / 6 / 2

2-Thomas Mueller 7 / 682 / 5 / 3

3-Neymar 5 / 457 / 4 / 1

4-Lionel Messi 7 / 693 / 4 / 1

5-Robin Van Persie 6 / 548 / 4 / 0

1-James Rodriguez ( 5 / 399 / 6 / 2 ) 2-Thomas Mueller ( 7 / 682 / 5 / 3) 3-Neymar ( 5 / 457 / 4 / 1) 4-Lionel Messi ( 7 / 693 / 4 / 1) 5-Robin Van Persie ( 6 / 548 / 4 / 0)