Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Should UCL have more top 5 league teams?
decentK 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal 38 2896

After seeing the results today, it made me think once again - would it be better that instead of giving so many champions (in lower leagues) a chance, should UEFA give one more spot to for example Serie A, La Liga and BPL?

I personally think that atleast two spots should be given more, 1 for La Liga and 1 for BPL. It was terrible seeing 7-0 and 6-0 results today (I know AS Roma lost 1-7 too, but they showed they can challenge Man City). And I think UCL is all about being a competition, where we can see the Europe's best teams. We could ask that is Sevilla or Everton seriously worse than Bate Borison?

But on the other hand some of the teams outside top 5 leagues like Shakhtar & FC Basel are quite great in UCL & it's always nice to see new teams being decent, like Ludogorets this year (atleast till this day).

What do you think about it? What would be the right thing to do?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

After seeing the results today, it made me think once again - would it be better that instead of giving so many champions a chance, should UEFA give one more spot to for example Serie A, La Liga and BPL?

I personally think that atleast two spots should be given more, 1 for La Liga and 1 for BPL. It was terrible seeing 7-0 and 6-0 results today (I know AS Roma lost 1-7 too, but they showed they can challenge Man City). And I think UCL is all about being a competition, where we can see the Europe's best teams. We could ask that is Sevilla or Everton seriously worse than Bate Borison?

But on the other hand some of the teams outside top 5 leagues like Shakhtar & FC Basel are quite great in UCL & it's always nice to see new teams being decent, like Ludogorets this year (atleast till this day).

What do you think about it? What would be the right thing to do?

Comments
Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I believe that Serie A is a weak league compared to EPL and La Liga. You can certainly give EPL and La Liga teams one more spot, and the EPL will be fine. But the problem with La Liga teams is that they are extremely poor compared to EPL teams, so they have to make up for the funds with quality, and that is not easy at all. Look at poor Athletico Bilbao this season. Last season they were amazing, and now they've gotten 1 point out of 9. It's a miserable campaign for them so far.

Giving an additional spot to the EPL and La Liga is a good idea, but La Liga teams are not financially capable of competing in both La Liga and the Champions League at the same time.

The last place team in the EPL earns more money than the 5th place team in La Liga, just putting this out there.

Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Sevilla and Valencia are doing excellent right now, but Bilbao and Everton are doing garbage. There's no way Everton would survive in the Champions League when Man City, Liverpool, and Arsenal are struggling. Chelsea have an easy group, and despite their thrashing of Maribor they struggled to beat both Schalke and Sporting convincingly. Bilbao are lackluster, and Atletico seem to be slightly on the decline. Valencia are excellent, and Sevilla are pretty damn good right now too (same goes with Southampton).

quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Nope. Teams like BATE, came long way through the qualifications to make it to the group stages. There are always "little" teams which surprise. Look on Ludogorets for example.

Tuanis 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

No, because then the Europa League will become useless. I like it just how it is right now, the CL is supposed to include as many different leagues as possible.

tuan_jinn 10 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Agree with everyone above. I think the question should have been: Should the European Qualification have a pre-qualification like CL has to get rid of all of the even-lower-than-the-3rd-division-team nation like Marino... etc.... otherwise its really unfair and especially in individual records.

Argjent 10 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Kosovo 8 714

Premier League 6
La Liga 5
Bundesliga 4
Serie A 3
France 3
Netherlands 3
Premier League [i think] top 6 teams have to go at CHL.5 first places directly and 6th sure in Play-off round.
PL has amazing teams like Arsenal,Chelsea,Man.Utd,Man.City,Tottenham,Everton,Liverpool so i think they deserve to be in CHL.La liga has Sevilla,Valencia,Villareal etc.Serie A is so weak if we compare with PL or La Liga. Belgium,Portugal,Ukraine,Croatia,Scotland,Turkey,Greece have good leagues too.

• History

Premier League 6
La Liga 5
Bundesliga 4
Serie A 3
France 3
Netherlands 3
Belgium 2
Portugal 2
Premier League [i think] top 6 teams have to go at CHL.5 first places directly and 6th sure in Play-off round.
PL has amazing teams like Arsenal,Chelsea,Man.Utd,Man.City,Tottenham,Everton,Liverpool so i think they deserve to be in CHL.La liga has Sevilla,Valencia,Villareal etc.Serie A is so weak if we compare with PL or La Liga. Ukraine,Croatia,Scotland,Turkey,Greece have good leagues too.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

@Argjent Portuguese league >>> french and dutch league

Argjent 10 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Kosovo 8 714

@Lilywhite look French League has some great teams like PSG,Lyon,Llille,Marsielle etc.Dutch League has Ajax,Psv,Twente,Feynoord etc.And for Portugese League i know it's good,but i know only Porto,Benfica & Sporting there.I Can't say what Braga or Estoril can do in CHL...

• History

@Lilywhite look French League has some great teams like Lyon,Llille,Marsielle etc.Dutch League has Ajax,Psv,Twente,Feynoord etc.And for Portugese League i know it's good,but i know only Porto,Benfica & Sporting there.I Can't say what Braga or Estoril can do in CHL...

quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@Argjent I think 6 teams from Premier League would have been to much.. I think 4 is really okay.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

@Argjent the only reason you say that is because you dont watch it enough... then start watching portuguese league and portuguese teams in Europe. they do much better than french and (ESPECIALLY) dutch

Emrecan_58 10 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

UEFA's system is good for me. They calculate the country points and place the teams based on to this.
But maybe let's say the 5th team from EPL plays a game with the 5th team from LaLiga and whoever wins gets the CL spot. And like this from another countries whose points are close to each other.

KTBFFHSWE 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

I'd say it's good as it is. One could argue that EPL should have another spot in the UCL but that spot would have to be taken from somewhere else. Also, with that many teams competeing in an international cup, focus would be on the cup instead of the league, which always should be the main priority. Usually the worst teams gets defeated in 3 knock out stages before the play-off and group stages.. I mean, there are 76 teams competing in the UCL alone and only 36 of them reach the group stages..

A bigger concern would be to increase the status of the EL instead to decrease the huge gap between the two cups, which I know that UEFA is already trying to do.