Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

What is the most legendary match (THAT YOU HAVE WITNESSED) for your nation.
COYSPURS2008 10 years ago Edited
76 540

We all vary in age, and alot of us follow our favourite national team and have felt or witnessed epic moments that will live on in our memories forever and remind us why we love the beautiful game.

(by the way, in the spirit of the world cup, im changing my national team every time a fellow middle eastern team/muslim team is playing, but my national team is Canada and Jordan through and through.)

I haven't witnessed anything awesome or super memorable as a Canada supporter yet.. as disappointing as that sounds.

for Jordan however it is a much different story.

It will have to be these two matches as my joint favorites.

Jordan vs Australia in Amman for world cup qualifying.

and Jordan vs Japan in Amman also for world cup qualifying.

The legendary draw at Uruguay comes in a close second to these.

The Australia match was epic because Australia is a world class team with European talent and we were touted as huge underdogs for that match. That win was where we started to really believe ourselves and in our ability to fight to the end for qualification.

And Japan for most of the same reasons as Australia (And Japan are literally the strongest team in Asia without question). Japan however have become a huge nemesis of us in the past 10 years or so. We met in the QF of Asian cup 2004 and were eliminated on penalties, then we met at Asian cup 2011 (we didn't qualify for Asian cup 2007) and drew them 1-1 in the group and missed out on a win to a stoppage time equalizer. Then we traveled to the land of the rising sun (in the WC 2014 qualifiers) and got our asses handed to us 6-0. When Japan visited Amman for the first time, we again were not expecting much, but we defeated the kings of Asia and finally got revenge for the three previous matches and our quest for qualification was alive and well at that time. The legacy will continue at asian cup 2015 in Australia this January when we meet Japan AGAIN in the group stage.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

We all vary in age, and alot of us follow our favourite national team and have felt or witnessed epic moments that will live on in our memories forever and remind us why we love the beautiful game.

(by the way, in the spirit of the world cup, im changing my national team every time a fellow middle eastern team/muslim team is playing, but my national team is Canada and Jordan through and through.)

I haven't witnessed anything awesome or super memorable as a Canada supporter yet.. as disappointing as that sounds.

for Jordan however it is a much different story.

It will have to be these two matches as my joint favorites.

Jordan vs Australia in Amman for world cup qualifying.

and Jordan vs Japan in Amman also for world cup qualifying.

The legendary draw at Uruguay comes in a close second to these.

Comments
COYSPURS2008 10 years ago
76 540

I seriously would like to see what the rest of you guys mention for your nation's.

SoccerBoss 10 years ago
Barcelona, Russia 34 804

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I honestly have not heard about most of your matches that you talk about. My most legendary match was U.S.A vs. Ghana, wow, what an awesome match!!!!

Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

To be honest @COYS, our Canadian national team has never been that good.... But that aside, I have never seen Germany win a major tournament in my lifetime. So my favorite match probably has to be Germany 4-1 England or Germany 4-0 Argentina (both in WC 2010).

Lodatz 10 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

England vs Germany in 1990, and in 1996 are two of the best I can remember. Also England vs Argentina in 2002 and vs Brazil that same year.

That, or the 1-5 England victory over Germany in Munich, 2001. ;)

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

France - Brazil 3-0 WC final 1998.
France - Croatia 2-1 WC semi final 1998.
France - Brazil 1-0 WC quarters 2006.
France - Spain 3-1 WC 1/8 finals 2006.
France - Italy 2-1 Euro 2000 final.

Thanks to Zidane.

• History

France - Brazil 3-0 WC final 1998.
France - Croatia 2-1 WC semi final 1998.

France - Brazil 1-0 WC quarters 2006.
France - Spain 3-1 WC 1/8 finals 2006.
France - Italy 2-1 Euro 2000 final.

Thanks to Zidane.

Zakzook 10 years ago
Arsenal, Syria 32 785

I don't know..
do we even play football?
Oh yes I remember. We did not so bad in the Asian cup of 2011. I remember in one game we played against Japan we did not so bad but then ended up losing because of the ref giving a false pen. The ref was guilt edged about the goal he gave to us because of offside or something. It wasn't actually offside because the pass was from a Japanese player but yeah that sums up our international performances. Syria's was much better at a club level especially the club Al Krama

Marcus2011 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

I don't know how to answer this question because I am bandwagonner when it comes to national teams . I support England but I have ethnic, cultural and residential relations to England, Russia, Turkey and USA .

So here is the list .

2002 : England vs Argentina 1:0

• Argentinians were in tears . It was very important match for qualification bid and it was a political match .

2001 : England vs Greece 2:2 - David Beckhams freekick that took England to 2002 world cup . David Beckham redeeming himself after that stupid tackle in 1998 on Diego Simione .

1999 : Russia vs France 3:2 - On France's homeground . Against World Champions and one of the best players of that generation . Against Zidane .

2008 : Russia vs Netherlands 3:1 - Master class performance . Beating Dutch who were favorites to win Euro .

2002 : Turkey vs South Korea 3:2 - There were many other great matches but beating hosts of the tournament , plus we all remember how many dodgy decisions were given to hosts by referees . So it was a difficult match to win . Spain , Italy and Portugal were victims of South Korea.

2008 : Whole Turkey campaign - They were labeled as Comeback kings and indeed they were . Germany were lucky that they were missing 8 key players . Otherwise Turkey would have gone to the final and even win it . Just like Greece did it in 2004 .

2002: USA vs Portugal 3:2 and the whole campaign has been amazing . No one would have ever guessed that USA non football nation would reach semifinal and beating two football powerhouses and giving some really tough match to one of the world's best - Germany .

2009 : USA vs Spain 2:0 Confederation Cup - I think also final with Brazil was great and US was just little unlucky not to win .

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Our recent match vs Spain was great, but nothing comes close to this one.
By the far, our best match ever, beating world champions. The last 20 minutes were like 20 hours, almost got heart attack every Italy attack, but it was worth every lost nerve.

minoas57 9 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Greece 8 155

@quikzyyy slovakia has great players like Stoch,Skrtel,Hamsik,Weiss (I know Stoch and Weiss because the played in the Greek league) anyway.That win was very immportant for your country,I can underastand how you felt when Pepe took the shot.Finally last year I was in the stadium when greece played against slovakia and we won 1-0 with skrtel own goal

• History

@quikzyyy slovakia has great players like Stoch,Skrtel,Hamsik,Weiss (I know Stoch and Weiss because the played in the Greek league) anyway.That win was very immportant for your country,I can underastand how you felt when chiellini took the shot.Finally last year I was in the stadium when greece played against slovakia and we won 1-0 with skrtel own goal

CroatiaFan123 9 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Croatia 3-0 Germany, 1998. Brings back good memories. Also, Croatia 2-1 Netherlands, we won third place with that win.

Oloman 9 years ago
Galatasaray 0 264

For Turkey, There are lots of them. But that was pretty amazing, we scored 3 goals in 15 minutes and came back from 0-2 against Czech Republic. It was Euro 2008.