Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Xavi announces Barcelona exit
quikzyyy 9 years ago Edited
Arsenal 429 9002

Barcelona legend Xavi has announced his intention to leave the club at the end of the season to join Qatari club Al Sadd. The midfielder has been with the Catalans for 24 years, since joining La Masia as an 11-year-old, and has made over 750 appearances for the first team during that time - more than any other player in the club's history.

Although he has featured 41 times so far for Barca in their La Liga-winning campaign, he has been used as a substitute more often than a starter under Luis Enrique.

"I am announcing my departure from the club this season," Xavi told reporters at a press conference on Thursday. "This decision is final and difficult."

"The club offered me a renewal - a very good one - but I had already made my decision. I think it's time to leave Camp Nou now. I'll continue playing at Al Sadd, which is an exciting prospect. I have sign a deal for two seasons, but there's an option for a third. Failure to retire at Barca is not a blot on my career - I want to keep playing but I know I have to play at a lower level. I'll also be able to develop myself as a coach and sporting director in Qatar."

"I was going to leave last summer, but I'm happy I stayed another season," he added. "I've felt useful though it's strange not be part of the XI all of the time. I am very content, I couldn't have asked for a better career than the one I have had. I must thank the incredible treatment from fans and I look forward to saying goodbye to them this weekend. This Barca team has a great chance at completing a treble. We can make history. One couldn't have written a better way to bow out, it's like it was made for me."

In addition to Saturday's Liga game at home to Deportivo La Coruna, Barca have two finals to look forward to in the next couple of weeks.

First up is a Copa del Rey showpiece against Athletic Bilbao before they take on Juventus - who are also chasing a treble - in Berlin's Champions League finale.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

The veteran midfielder, 35, has called time on his 24 years at Camp Nou, describing the decision as "final and difficult".

Barcelona legend Xavi has announced his intention to leave the club at the end of the season to join Qatari club Al Sadd.

The midfielder has been with the Catalans for 24 years, since joining La Masia as an 11-year-old, and has made over 750 appearances for the first team during that time - more than any other player in the club's history.

Although he has featured 41 times so far for Barca in their La Liga-winning campaign, he has been used as a substitute more often than a starter under Luis Enrique.

"I am announcing my departure from the club this season," Xavi told reporters at a press conference on Thursday. "This decision is final and difficult."

"The club offered me a renewal - a very good one - but I had already made my decision. I think it's time to leave Camp Nou now. I'll continue playing at Al Sadd, which is an exciting prospect. I have sign a deal for two seasons, but there's an option for a third. Failure to retire at Barca is not a blot on my career - I want to keep playing but I know I have to play at a lower level. I'll also be able to develop myself as a coach and sporting director in Qatar."

"I was going to leave last summer, but I'm happy I stayed another season," he added. "I've felt useful though it's strange not be part of the XI all of the time. I am very content, I couldn't have asked for a better career than the one I have had. I must thank the incredible treatment from fans and I look forward to saying goodbye to them this weekend. This Barca team has a great chance at completing a treble. We can make history. One couldn't have written a better way to bow out, it's like it was made for me."

In addition to Saturday's Liga game at home to Deportivo La Coruna, Barca have two finals to look forward to in the next couple of weeks.

First up is a Copa del Rey showpiece against Athletic Bilbao before they take on Juventus - who are also chasing a treble - in Berlin's Champions League finale.

The veteran midfielder, 35, has called time on his 24 years at Camp Nou, describing the decision as "final and difficult".

Barcelona legend Xavi has announced his intention to leave the club at the end of the season to join Qatari club Al Sadd.

The midfielder has been with the Catalans for 24 years, since joining La Masia as an 11-year-old, and has made over 750 appearances for the first team during that time - more than any other player in the club's history.

Comments
Aiden_Finland 9 years ago
Real Madrid, Finland 18 1236

HE IS A TRUE LEGEND!

Jimbet 9 years ago
Arsenal, Malaysia 12 1292

wanna see him coach in the near future though. :)

chooyaochuen 9 years ago
Manchester United 4 226

Thanks for the great memories and good luck!

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Most important player of Barça dressing room, one of the biggest clubs Legends and probably the biggest Palmares of a player ever in club and national team, its just a goodbye Legend, see you in few years coaching the first team...

CroatiaFan123 9 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Truly legend. Just wanna see him coach Barcelona team in few years.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

ramaboy10 9 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Why :'(

tdot2barca 9 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

I wish legends remained forever :( Bye Xavi we will miss you so so dearly much :'( </3

tuan_jinn 9 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

True legend,

I love the guy, if you dislike Xavi or Iniesta or Zanetti or Pyuol, or Maldini or Lahm... seriously you have a problem.

Those are the role models to follow.

I hate Qatar in this case because of their oil money they stole a legend a way and use him as a shield for their dumb sh!t corruption...

rightfooty 9 years ago
Barcelona, Indonesia 1 47

Xavi once quote : In football, the result is an impostor. You can do things really, really well but not win. There's something greater than the result, more lasting - a legacy.
See you next time in Barca, legend =)

tiki_taka 9 years ago

tdot2barca 9 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

Assyrian flag spotted at 6:30 in Tiki's video;). Video was making me so sad until I seen that, but nonetheless we will always miss Xavi! He has always been a true role model for all footballers to follow. Visca Barca!

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

One of the greatest midfielders of all time... it's been an honor to watch him play. I hope he ends his career well.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Best Spanish Barça player of all time, most important Spanish player of History.

A 4th CL would be incredible.