Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Zico's best goals
ikoiko 10 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

A definite number 10, here's a compilation of Zico's best goals.

I was looking into the 1978 World Cup, when Mario Kempes scored two in the final against the Netherlands, and went to win not only Argentina's first World Cup, but it was during the so-called guerra sucia (dirty war) in Argentina, so it made for a shady time to win a World Cup on home soil, albeit it was great for the public to focus on football for a month instead of its countries political issues.

Anyway I was looking at the squads for that World Cup and I noticed that mostly all the players on each national team played for a club in their respective country. Truly home-grown talents. It is crazy to think how far football has come, for better or for worse.

This post is really following up on Marcus's post about playmakers. Enjoy one of the greatest to never win a World Cup.

Comments
Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Classic.

I remember a Brazilian journalist once said, "Many people say that Zico is unlucky to never win a World Cup. He's never lost a World Cup match, and he's played in 3 tournaments, but he's never won the trophy. I say that the World Cup is unlucky to not have Zico as its victor". [I paraphrased it]

One of the greatest players in history.

ikoiko 10 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

Ha! Now that's a statistic.

I just recently read a funny quote saying "up until the 1980's, the World Cup should have been called the 'Euro-Latin American Duopoly'" because only one Asian country (Iran) was present in 1978, and up until then, Asia, North America, and Africa were almost nonexistent on the world stage, despite the fact that Asia is the most populous continent. Cool stuff right there.

Iraqi_Madridista 10 years ago
Real Madrid 33 1388

Zico one of the best Brazilian footballers ever. And it a shame he left Iraq :( We still love him <333

And here is the legend celebrating with Iraq!! <3

ikoiko 10 years ago
Arsenal, Spain 53 853

I had no idea he coached Iraq before

Emrecan_58 10 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

@ikoiko it was just 2 years ago :D
And he coached Fenerbahçe for 3 years. Fenerbahçe played Quarter Finals in CL for the first time with him. They won 2-1 in Istanbul but lost 2-0 in England to Chelsea in 2007.
He coached Roberto Carlos in Fenerbahçe that years. Now Roberto Carlos is becoming one :D

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

And he coached Fenerbahçe for 3 years. Fenerbahçe played Quarter Finals in CL for the first time with him. They won 2-1 in Istanbul but lost 2-0 in England to Chelsea in 2007.
He coached Roberto Carlos in Fenerbahçe in that years. Great player and a great Manager. Now Roberto Carlos is becoming one :D

He coached Roberto Carlos in Fenerbahçe that years. Great player and a great Manager. Now Roberto Carlos is becoming one :D

Lodatz 10 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

The greatest Brazilian to never win a World Cup. Absolute legend.

<3