Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

New search and infinite scroll
FootyRoom 9 years ago
36 175

Hi, everyone!

Today we have released two improvements to usability of the site.

Infinite scroll. Before deciding whether we should do it or not we have weighted in advantages versus disadvantages of it. One major problem with infinite scroll is that the back button is broken by default, there are ways to fix it but they are not always easy nor usable. The other is that you have no easy way to jump to the end, middle or some other arbitrary page. However in most cases users seldom need to do that. After all, page numbers hardly mean anything.

Trying to compensate for these two problems we have improved search functionality. Try it out and you will see that it's a little easier to find specific matches now. Yes, it is not perfect but it is still an improvement over the previous one.

We believe that infinite scroll will allow you to more easily browse through the recent content without sacrificing too much. However, if you hate it, let us know. In any case we are listening and want your feedback. What do you think? How can we improve it further?

Comments
tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Very good idea FR, im already getting used to it :), can you do this later for the forum ? Sometimes i spend time on finding older Threads to comeback into a discussion, this could be awesome...
Very useful to avoid wasting time in the highlight sections, nice idea from you guys ^^.

FootyRoom 9 years ago
36 175

@tiki_taka, have you considered using "With Me" or "My Threads" filters? How about using search? Is it helpful?

We played with the idea of adding infinite scroll to forums but thought that maybe it would be a visual overload because of all the text (post titles). If more people think it's a good idea then we will reconsider.

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Yeah, i have tried it, very useful indeed but since we do predictions of future results, if we could get to previous pages quicker than only skipping by 3 pages ( I dont know if its clear my English isnt good ), for example if we could get into page 100 without being obliged to do it manually that would be good.
Thats only my humble opinion, lets wait others contribution and suggestions for the improvements, very good effort for you guys the website keeps improving in a positive way. ^^

JuanMata10 9 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

Thanks for the improvements, guys, they're really helpful, but could you also apply the feature of replying directly to a comment (like in the highlight section) to the forum? Because it's really annoying to use "@randommember" all the time or to follow a discussion that is spread over 7 pages. Don't know how the other members feel about this, but I'd be glad if this was added.

shpalman 9 years ago Edited
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

@FR
thanks guys it looks awesome!

@Tiki (from the other thread)
i totally missed it. ok it may have been just me in the middle of gajillion things+still being awake at this hour, but it indeed needs some more visibility. this thread i mean :D

what do you mean by:
*"*if we could get into page 100 without being obliged to do it manually" ?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@FR
i totally missed it. ok it may have been just me in the middle of gajillion things+still being awake at this hour, but it indeed needs some more visibility. this thread i mean :D

what do you mean by:

@FR

what do you mean by:

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited

No problem mate :) i knew you didnt see it :).
( Im insomniac too, actually playing poker heads ups all the night ^^)

How could i explain it, well imagine you want to go to a discussion happened 3 month ago in a thread actually on page 34 of the forum for example.

Knowing that you can only go to the last pages ( here 224 and 225 ) you will do many clics to reach the thread you want.
Here you can only go from 12 to 16, wait until you get to page 16 than could only go to 20 and so on....
Reaching a discussion happened 2 years ago is even more dificult.

I dont know if its possible, but if FR could make old threads easier to reach that would be awesome, at least for me :) i love to go back and see previous predictions and analyses made month ago...

• History

No problem mate :) i knew you didnt see it :). ( Im insomniac too, actually playing poker heads ups all the night ^^)

How could i explain it, well imagine you want to go to a discussion happened 3 month ago in a thread actually on page 34 of the forum for example.

Knowing that you can only go to the last pages ( here 224 and 225 ) you will do many clics to reach the thread you want.
Here you can only go from 12 to 16, wait until you get to page 16 than could only go to 20 and so on....
Reaching a discussion happened 2 years ago is even more dificult.

CroatiaFan123 9 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Great add, I really like Infinite Scroll. It's useful. Search box is looking better, especially that there are two parts, forum and highlights. I also noticed that in the bottom of highlights there is "Load more" button, not like older where there was page change (like in @tiki's picture).

@tiki I think that it's easy to find old discussion by search. Just need to know the name or parts of post title. Now search is even better, if you write "Barcelona" for example, on right side there is forum and newest discussion. And if it's not there check for "See more results". I think you can easily find right tread. :)

CroatiaFan123 9 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Btw, profile page now looks kinda stranger. Why?

• History

szybkos 9 years ago
Chelsea, Poland U17 0 1

IS is future in my opinion :)

FootyRoom 9 years ago
36 175

@tiki_taka, I understand your concern about going to older threads, however I think it's an edge case, meaning that not many users would do that. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also page "34" does not mean it happened two month ago or 1 year ago. It's just a number that will always change. I'm thinking that maybe if we did a "by date" filter then it would be what you want.

@JuanMata10, that is also a very valid concern. I think of forums as a linear discussion, much like a traditional one. Conversation flows from top to bottom. But like you said, it can be difficult to follow the discussion that is spread across many pages. We'll think about how we can fix this while still maintaining the linear order. Direct reply could be one of them like you suggested. If there are other ideas let us know.

FootyRoom 9 years ago
36 175

@CroatiaFan123, you are using an ad blocker, hence the distorted page.

Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

@FootyRoom Oh, I didn't know that this is because of AdBlocker. No problem.

shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

@Tiki
alright now i get it. if you need to go to a page number which is not displayed you could use the address bar directly, writing like: http://footyroom.com/forum/34/

tiki_taka 9 years ago

Ok ok, guys thanks. I will use the search bar, i was complicating things for no reason.

Eden17Hazard17 9 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Nice bookmarks Croatia

Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

@Eden17 LOL! Actually many of them are great sites. Thanks :)

Eden17Hazard17 9 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Can we have a more modern look in the forums, instead of the plane list. The actual threads are fine, just the homepage of the forum is a bit old.

kuenta 9 years ago
FC Koln, Poland 0 1

awesome add! <3