Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

How did you come to support your club?
SunFlash 9 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

As a North American, it can be tough as a soccer fan. First off, calling it soccer. It's a British term, and we already have a football game here, I can't understand why we get so much flack for it. But secondly, I often get nitpicked a lot for choosing to support a big club, (in this case, Manchester United). I get called all the names that bandwagon fans get called, which can be frustrating at times. So the purpose of this thread is for everyone to explain how they came to support the club they support now. International, domestic, whatever.

I'm Canadian, and as the world probably knows, hockey is the dominant sport here. MANY, MANY kids play soccer, but the thought of playing professionally doesn't even cross the mind, whereas in hockey, most Canadians know which 16-year olds will be superstars thanks to a fantastic junior league. There is very little opportunity or awareness of the professional soccer level, and most of that is due to the lacklustre media coverage soccer receives in Canada, and the United States.

When I was a kid, I played soccer but didn't follow it. It wasn't until I was about 8 or 9, (this would've been about 2006), when I had a Portuguese coach, that I was even aware that the entire sports world basically ran on soccer. Now being Portuguese, my coach was obviously a massive Ronaldo fan, and encouraged me to watch the World Cup that year. I was totally hooked. Being a dual-citizen with the United States, which is my birth country, I supported them until they went out in the group stages I think, and then I supported Portugal until they lost in the semi-final. Watching the final as an unbiased third party who didn't really know any of the players involved, I was struck by the sheer beauty of the game. Portugal had a shootout at somepoint during the tournament, so I was familiar with the concept when the final came down to it, and I just wanted to see more.

It may sound weird to you guys, but as a North American, you grow up with Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Football (the American version - still a huge fan of it) and others, all the leagues for which are entirely based in North America. Therefore, the only time I actually saw other nations get involved was at the Olympics, and again, go easy on me, I wasn't aware that there were dozens of large soccer leagues around the world. I operated for almost a full year after the 2006 WC thinking that there wasn't a place for people like Ronaldo to play outside of the WC. When the coach I mentioned previously told me I was wrong, I went out to find where Ronaldo played. At the time, he played for United.

Now, I wasn't a United fan right away, but there was a very large factor that would ultimately make me one, and that was the Champions League in 2008 that United ended up winning. Now the soccer coverage in North America is abysmal, but various stations do show the later rounds of the Champions League. I was watching the semi-final between United and Barca, and I was just sold on United. When the final came, and they beat Chelsea, I was a United fan forever. I'm more lucky now, TSN, which is the major Canadian TV sports provider does show EPL games now, which I'm able to watch in full HD, which is great. But most of my experiences watching soccer involve less-than-optimal streams online.

I wanted to share my story with you guys, because I think that, particularly in Europe and South America, it's very easy to take your "football" for granted. Canadian and American fans have to go to pretty steep heights to simply follow their favourite team. The vast majority of North American fans I do know support the club they do because it was the only one they ever saw play on TV.

Now, I'm also a fan of the Seattle Sounders in the MLS, and I support them fully as well. I don't think it is bad or inconvenient to support a European team and a domestic team, particularly when they have zero chance of playing each other in a competitive game. Although United did travel down for a friendly once, that was fun.

I just found this site, and I'm very impressed with the collection of highlights on here, and this will certainly be my go-to place to find highlights from leagues that receive zero media coverage here, Serie A and Ligue 1 being good examples. Bundesliga has a fantastic English YouTube channel, so I won't focus as much on those, but again, great job with this site.

So, what are the reasons that you support the club that you do? Was it a player? Country? Coach? Local team? Let's hear it!

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

As a North American, it can be tough as a soccer fan. First off, calling it soccer. It's a British term, and we already have a football game here, I can't understand why we get so much flack for it. But secondly, I often get nitpicked a lot for choosing to support a big club, (in this case, Manchester United). I get called all the names that bandwagon fans get called, which can be frustrating at times. So the purpose of this thread is for everyone to explain how they came to support the club they support now. International, domestic, whatever.
I'm Canadian, and as the world probably knows, hockey is the dominant sport here. MANY, MANY kids play soccer, but the thought of playing professionally doesn't even cross the mind, whereas in hockey, most Canadians know which 16-year olds will be superstars thanks to a fantastic junior league. There is very little opportunity or awareness of the professional soccer level, and most of that is due to the lacklustre media coverage soccer receives in Canada, and the United States.
When I was a kid, I played soccer but didn't follow it. It wasn't until I was about 8 or 9, (this would've been about 2006), when I had a Portuguese coach, that I was even aware that the entire sports world basically ran on soccer. Now being Portuguese, my coach was obviously a massive Ronaldo fan, and encouraged me to watch the World Cup that year. I was totally hooked. Being a dual-citizen with the United States, which is my birth country, I supported them until they went out in the group stages I think, and then I supported Portugal until they lost in the semi-final. Watching the final as an unbiased third party who didn't really know any of the players involved, I was struck by the sheer beauty of the game. Portugal had a shootout at somepoint during the tournament, so I was familiar with the concept when the final came down to it, and I just wanted to see more.
It may sound weird to you guys, but as a North American, you grow up with Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Football (the American version - still a huge fan of it) and others, all the leagues for which are entirely based in North America. Therefore, the only time I actually saw other nations get involved was at the Olympics, and again, go easy on me, I wasn't aware that there were dozens of large soccer leagues around the world. I operated for almost a full year after the 2006 WC thinking that there wasn't a place for people like Ronaldo to play outside of the WC. When the coach I mentioned previously told me I was wrong, I went out to find where Ronaldo played. At the time, he played for United.
Now, I wasn't a United fan right away, but there was a very large factor that would ultimately make me one, and that was the Champions League in 2008 that United ended up winning. Now the soccer coverage in North America is abysmal, but various stations do show the later rounds of the Champions League. I was watching the semi-final between United and Barca, and I was just sold on United. When the final came, and they beat Chelsea, I was a United fan forever. I'm more lucky now, TSN, which is the major Canadian TV sports provider does show EPL games now, which I'm able to watch in full HD, which is great. But most of my experiences watching soccer involve less-than-optimal streams online.
I wanted to share my story with you guys, because I think that, particularly in Europe and South America, it's very easy to take your "football" for granted. Canadian and American fans have to go to pretty steep heights to simply follow their favourite team. The vast majority of North American fans I do know support the club they do because it was the only one they ever saw play on TV.
Now, I'm also a fan of the Seattle Sounders in the MLS, and I support them fully as well. I don't think it is bad or inconvenient to support a European team and a domestic team, particularly when they have zero chance of playing each other in a competitive game. Although United did travel down for a friendly once, that was fun.
I just found this site, and I'm very impressed with the collection of highlights on here, and this will certainly be my go-to place to find highlights from leagues that receive zero media coverage here, Serie A and Ligue 1 being good examples. Bundesliga has a fantastic English YouTube channel, so I won't focus as much on those, but again, great job with this site.

So, what are the reasons that you support the club that you do? Was it a player? Country? Coach? Local team? Let's hear it!

Comments
tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

It may be called soccer where you live, but the whole world call it Football, dont be surprised if you get bantered while calling it soccer.

Welcome to the forum mate, for the club i live in France and my parents used to live in French Cataluna in the south of France, the catalan nation is like the basc country divided between Spain and France, so since i watched Football Barça was the team i support, when Barça was playing there was nobody on my neighbourhood streets, i have many Madrid fans in my family, as Football fanatics and near to Spain there was only Barça and Madrid fans...

decentK 9 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

1st: Welcome to footyroom, hope you'd join the discussions in the forum often, 'cause you sound polite & rather smart
Secondly, very nice story, read all the way through

Thirdly, I want to keep my story very short. I've always loved football, and Arsenal are just the team that is close to my heart and feels right, there isn't any rocket science story behind it, it just felt right and will feel right. Arsenal have morals I respect, family club, Wenger, Henry, Bergkamp, class... respect...

Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

There have been already a couple of threads regarding this topic if you wish to look them out. They have most of the regular user's reasons to supporting their clubs.

Welcome to FR btw..

KhaledAzizJr 9 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Italy 40 610

I knew nothing about football until I started playing the FIFA franchise. I started with FIFA 10 and it was quite neat, so I started exploring all of the clubs and leagues available in the game. Manchester United was very appealing to me because of my ability to understand their style of play and score nice goals, so I decided to pursue them in real life, as well. When I did, I found their tactics beautiful and effective, so I became an avid supporter and plan to remain as one for the rest of my life.

• History

I knew nothing about football until I started playing the FIFA franchise. I started with FIFA 10 and it was quite neat, so I started exploring all of the clubs and leagues available in the game. Manchester United was very appealing to me in the game because of my ability to understand their style of play and score nice goals, so I decided to pursue them in real life, as well. When I did, I found their tactics beautiful and effective, so I became an avid supporter and plan to remain as one for the rest of my life.

liomessi10 9 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

hated football before 2010 but my friend convinced me to love football and to support barcelona. probably woul have supported man united then.

Emrecan_58 9 years ago
Besiktas 149 3375

Political reasons.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

Thank you Tuanis.

CroatiaFan123 9 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

Henry is the reason.

Btw, welcome to FootyRoom.

chelsea8 9 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

i just fell in love with chelsea, it was love at first sight.

JuanMata10 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

Mine is pretty odd when I look back. I believe I was about 5 or 6 years old when I started getting into football, because my uncle was a huge football fan. He didn't support a specific club, he just wanted to see entertaining matches. Anyways, my dad (who doesn't care about football) used to drop me off at his place to watch some football from time to time. The first game I clearly remember is from the 2001/02 season when Chelsea won 3-0 against United at Old Trafford. Also, my favourite colour was blue and my favourite animal the lion (which happen to be in Chelsea's badge, too), so I believe that these factors contributed to why I started supporting Chelsea.

• History

Mine is pretty odd when I look back. I believe I was about 5 or 6 years old when I started getting into football, because my uncle was a huge football fan. He didn't support a specific club, he just wanted to see entertaining matches. Anyways, my dad (who doesn't care about football) used to drop me off at his place to watch some football from time to time. The first game I clearly remember is from the 2001/02 season when Chelsea won 3-0 against United at Old Trafford. Also, my favourite colour was blue and my favourite animal the lion (which happens to be in Chelsea's badge, too), so I believe that these factors contributed to why I started supporting Chelsea.

NovaRuk 9 years ago
Real Madrid/Barcelona, Malaysia 17 741

Haha, I have the same feeling towards football like liomessi10 before 2011. My brother once dragged me into playing PES 2011. After playing that game, gosh, did it felt so entertaining. Then my brother took me to watch the 2010/11 UCL final, Barcelona vs Manchester United. I was amazed by the tiki-taka and tactics of Barcelona that completely outplayed Man United at that time.

Fun fact about me : I also support Atletico Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla and Athletic Bilbao.

Heisinburg 9 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

My mum.

flintloxwood 9 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 0 13

my older brother usually come home with new videos of ronaldinho with joga bonito ,

liomessi10 9 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

@novaruk fifa also had a part in making me support barca

NovaRuk 9 years ago
Real Madrid/Barcelona, Malaysia 17 741

@liomessi10 For me it was PES.

tdot2barca 9 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

I also live in Canada, and I support Barcelona because when I first started taking football seriously Ronaldinho was my idol, and he played for them. :)

expertfootball11 9 years ago
Real Madrid, France 64 2837

Started supporting at age 6 in 2000 (i think ?), got inspired by world legends like Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul ... And even before with Di Angelo. Back when we had a proper squad and a proper coach..

JimBleedsArsenal 9 years ago
Arsenal, England 3 691

when i was very little i used to support teams on the basis of the color of jersey they wore(i liked blue then), but then later i started to follow the teams a bit more and then i got attracted to arsenal, but even then i didnt know the names of many players...but then i saw thierry hennry and got hooked and started learning all of their names....and finally one day my dad bought me a tshirt and it happened to be an arsenal tshirt and i guess that day pretty much sealed me as a gooner....and since then ive been supporting them through greatness and despair !!!!!