Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

“We didn't deserve whistles, at 2 - 1 we didn’t need support”
tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Luis Enrique was angry at whistling from Barcelona fans when the team were losing: “If we don’t run, ok, but the team was trying its heart out”.

"The injury to Iniesta brought everyone down, first for the player himself but also because it’s almost a joke at this stage. It’s another handicap but we’ll show that we’re competitive. My players deserve a huge amount of credit for turning around a very dificult situation", assured Luis Enrique after his team’s 2-1 victory over Bayer Leverkusen that puts them top of Group C.

Barça’s lack of game: "That's football. Sometimes you win with faith, sometimes with heart, and sometimes with great play. Today it was faith that got us through. The team will be strengthened by this win. We won back the belief today. I’m not complaining about the fans but this team deserves more. Most of the fans support us but you could hear whistling. At 2-1 we don’t need the support but at 0-1 we do. Those whistling; don’t. We deserve more than that. Footballers are going to play who need encouragement, not whistling".

Whistling from the fans: “We needed their support today when things weren’t going our way. You can hear the whistling very clearly from the pitch. The credit this team has, it deserves more. This team deserves a higher faith, it deserves credit, unshakeable support. If we don’t run, ok, but the team was trying its heart out. The belief should be there from the fans, belief and support that we need. If we hadn’t won we wouldn’t be group leaders, but I already warned that this team would be very difficult”.

A tough game: "It was a hard night’s work. That’s the second game without Messi because he didn’t play against Las Palmas. We didn’t have our best player for the second time and still got a second victory. It's always tough to overcome the kind of pressure that Bayer put on us tonight. They didn't allow us any easy possession or easy chances".

Injuries: "I don’t know why we have so many injuries at the moment. That’s life. The injury to Iniesta is terrible news, but these are thorns in our side that we have to shake off, we'll show everyone that we can overcome this".

Neymar: “The media created this erroneous idea that other players have to work harder now that Messi's out, so when he comes back they can relax? This is a team, everyone has to give 100% all the time".

Suarez: “Today we saw the attitude that all the players have. The changes gave us some freshness but everyone put in in right up to the final whistle. It’s the same in every game. It’s easier to destroy than it is to create. I’m delighted with the win, I’m going to eat dinner with my family then we go at it again”.

Mistake for 0-1: “We combine man for man with zonal marking. It’s not about pointing fingers. We all make mistakes. You have to focus on the positive, you don’t blame, you encourage. That’s what I almost always see”.

Leaders: “It’s going to be a challenge right up to the final game. This group is complicated despite what they said about it being a handy passage”.

From Marca.

I agree with Enrique, but i think here is that its not a players problem, letting aside the Alves-Piqué-Mathieu hideous form and still making it into XI, while Bartra has been impressive. The Masceran-Busquets pairing in midllefield with an average form Rakitic who make the midlefield loosing any sort of creativity...

The win itself doesnt hide the fact that Barça will suffer in the next months with such a display, sure we' re first of the league and in CL tough group. But silverwares are about consistence and if we cant win the games where we are unlucky in and when the rival is sharp and inform, then from a top team we could turn into a normal team until Messi return and the end of the ban. Mixed feelings between the lack of support they got and the frustration watching that game that the victory only calmed for a short period, without our lion, the two month will be very VERY LONG.

Comments
SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

I totally empathize with Enrique. Barca's problem with its fans is not unique though, look at any other team who has been enormously successful for a long time. Real Madrid, Juventus, Bayern, PSG, etc, all get very poor in-stadium fan participation, because the fans are simply desensitized to the problems the rest of the world has, like, I don't know, losing. I remember United fans used to be like that (and aren't anymore for obvious reasons, wow we fell far) and that was directly due to how successful we had been. As soon as below-elite performances became a week-to-week gig instead of an anomaly, fans adjusted and we went from there. For Barca, my god, you guys haven't had a bad season or CL campaign in probably over a decade.

In summary: Barca's fans don't know how to act while losing to what they deem as "inferior opposition" and trust me, you want it to stay that way. With the exception of Liverpool, the size of a fan's ego is usually directly related to how good their club is.

tuan_jinn 9 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Such a "first-class-club-problem". Everyone should have expected this kind of performance was going to happen when you dont have your best player(s) and you still have to aim for long run success. It happens to ANY TEAM at any given time when their best player(s) injured, especially the kind of magical player like Messi or the mad machine like Ronaldo.

I dont really get these fans (that little group), 1 - 0 down against rather strong CL opponent and that??? Wait untill you loose against some teams like Stoke city or something with 900 crosses then you can start to boo.

Wolfie 9 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Any fans that jeer their team when they're losing are NOT SUPPORTERS.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

^ Perhaps that is explained by the absurd prices for tickets which leads to a large portion of the "real" fans being unable to attend the games. I agree with you though.

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

I agree with both f you, but knowing some players potential and the wages they get, Piqué as an example, if he gets booed it doesnt affect me because the guy is just serial- ''taking it easy'' after each good season. You cant support players who does not seem to have a proffessional behaviour in and out the pitch, specially with the teammates they have. Players like Suarez-Alba-Bartra-Sergi have all my respect, boos started when Piqué started to back pass each time he got the ball in a moment Barça needed to go forward.

Some players need to beon constant urgency to keep performing, once they secure their starting XI place they take it easy and we actually have some of them.

Enrique is right to criticize the lack of support in a key moment, but he is also responsible for it, his team and tactics are really questionable each time. The set pieces were our strenght last year offensively and defensively, this year its the complete opposite we conceded easy ones and i dont reckon scoring one yet, this partof the game just shows how the tactical work isnt on point in a moment where we have all the reasons to confirm last year good season.

I still have mixed feelings, the exigence of Camp Nou is very high, but at the same time in big games, the support is there no matter the result.