Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Manchester United's Next Striker?
TheGame 9 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

We know it is just a matter of time before we sign a new no. 9. Who should we get?

Comments
Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

What I meant about Higuain being inconsistent is that he has barren games with minimal impact, and then has great games. I don't quite remember how many games it was in a row, but he had a massive drought for Napoli this season - coming close to going 10 games without a goal. It was that back injury he picked up just before Mourinho came to Madrid that ruined his career. He was such a promising lad too who was able to reach his full potential due to lack of fitness since that injury.

Dynastian98 9 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Look at Big Benz's stats. <3

Has as many assists as RVP, Cavani, Lewa, and Benteke combined. Highest assists total out of the 5, highest conversion rate, most key passes per game, and highest overall rating.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Look at Big Benz's stats. <3

TheGame 9 years ago

Point well taken +1. Benzema is a beast mate! I was surprised by how many assists he had. I wish we could get him but there is just no way I can see the deal being done given that he is such a good player. Only way he'd come is if Ronaldo plays as a center forward/lone striker under Benitez.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

I'm at risk for looking like a massive fool here, depending on how the season goes, but do we need a big name striker? I mean, I'd rather have a more hold-up style player who can head the ball in the box in addition to spilling it off to the wings for the Di Maria, Depay, Janauzi, Young, and Valencia's of our amazing wings. Outside of Benzema, whose assists have been noted already, none of these guys are that type of striker.

Or am I just reading to much into this.

Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Imo, United doesnt need another top class striker, we are fine with the 3 that we have right now. United doesnt/cant play with two strikers so what we need is someone who knows how to patiently wait on the bench and is able to score goals when subbed in.. The thing is we already have it, Chicharito is a decent sub and we also have our young talent which I praise really high.

If we are getting another striker that is fine but that guy needs to know he'll not be starting therefore I will hope United dont spend much money on the transfer.

TheGame 9 years ago

@SunFlash, since Rooney likes to drop back so often in games, a hold-up playing center-forward will never suit United. We need someone who can run behind defenders (kind of like Chicharito as @Tuanis pointed out).

@Tuanis, but mate you know it is going to happen. We lost two "class" strikers in this transfer window and if Rooney is to play that No. 10 role, we'll need a No. 9. Would you trust him as a lone striker?

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Chicharito played surprisingly well for Madrid in the latter half of the season. Maybe it's time to play him regularly once more?

Tuanis 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Rooney has proven he is more than capable of playing as the only striker. United cant play any formation other than one with 3 up front, Rooney is a waste of talent playing in midfield, and now we have a very populated quality midfield. United is surly going to play with only one striker so Rooney is our guy, if we get a player like Lewandoski who cant be benched in any team in the world then we will add more formation problems for the team. It is very hard already to find a place to play Mata in the starting lineup which is what will happen if another striker comes to the team. A world class striker will obviously be a great addition but an unnecessary one. Other positions are in greater need of new acquisition.

Dynastian98 9 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Rooney only 20 goals away from being Manchester United's highest-ever goalscorer. Ronaldo 11 goals away from being Real Madrid's highest-ever goalscorer. Who would've thought the two old pals would break the goalscoring records for two of the greatest clubs in history in the same season! Incredible! :D

PS. I want Rooney as striker so he smashes Charlton's record this season.

• History

Rooney only 20 goals away from being Manchester United's highest-ever goalscorer. Ronaldo 11 goals away from being Real Madrid's highest-ever goalscorer. Who would've thought the two old pals would break the goalscoring records for two of the greatest clubs in history in the same season! Incredible! :D

TheGame 9 years ago

^Wow, that's incredible. @Tuanis +1. Good point. I have no problems with Rooney playing up front as he works very hard. My only concern is that if he gets injured, then Wilson or Chicharito might not suffice, so I agree that if we were to sign someone we should aim for a mid to high-tier striker instead (Kind of like Loic Remy for Chelsea last year). And you're right with regards to Mata. We can play him as the No. 10 with Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger playing as the two in front of the defense and Rooney as the striker. Ooooooo just the thought of that.....

tuan_jinn 9 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Exactly, it's a waste using him (Rooney) in midfield. Not to mention he would confuse the hell of the normal ACM. He can be our main constant threat up front.

However, I do believe we need world class striker if we can to get anywhere near CL glory. Sometimes we play a bad game and a class striker can save the day. Look at Chelsea a season back as an example.

• History

Exactly, it's a waste using him in midfield. Not to mention he would confuse the hell of the normal ACM. He can be our main constant threat up front.

However, I do believe we need world class striker if we can to get anywhere near CL glory. Sometimes we play a bad game and a class striker can save the day. Look at Chelsea a season back as an example.

decentK 9 years ago Edited
Arsenal 38 2896

I believe Man Utd don't even need a striker if you play Rooney as #9 as you guys suggested earlier & there's no better supersub than Chicharito.

Benzema's assists are not a surprise to me AT ALL. He was a major asset to Real Madrid last season, creating them chances consistently & being the linkup player always when I watched. Whatever you think about Giroud, he's very similar to Benzema in that sense & that's why Wenger likes him a lot - and that's also what many ppl don't see of Giroud, other than those missed chances.

• History

I believe Man Utd don't even need a striker if you play Rooney as #9 as you guys suggested earlier & there's no better supersub than Chicharito.

Benzema's assists is not a surprise to me AT ALL. He was a major asset to Real Madrid last season, creating them chances consistently & being the linkup player always when I watched. Whatever you think about Giroud, he's very similar to Benzema in that sense & that's why Wenger likes him a lot - and that's also what many ppl don't see of Giroud, other than those missed chances.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

Well, LVG did say that he's bringing Chicharito to the US tour to get another look at him, so it's a possibility that he will stay.

tiki_taka 9 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

• History

ashwin1729 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

Most likely an older and experienced veteran who can be a backup to Rooney in case he is injured. We have Chicharito as an impact sub. Depay and Young can play there. IMO we should get Pato. He's cheap. Will not command a huge wage. And can sub in or play as a deputy for Rooney.

TheGame 9 years ago

Is he alluding to Muller?

quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I read something about Zlatan, but he won't be backup striker for sure :)

ashwin1729 9 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

@theGame: In this press conference he said he wasn't talking about a striker. He was talking about a totally different position it seems...Muller will cost us upwards of 100 Mil for sure. And he will start, which means Rooney might drop to midfield, unless Muller plays the RW.

liomessi10 9 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Is rooney going back to everton by any chance?

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lio

That would be a completely illogical move from Rooney. I don't see it happening anytime before 2018.