Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Argentina without the likes of Icardi,Dybala...?
Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Some recent comments from the national manager Sampaoli suggest that the squad won't have some of the best attackers in the world.

How would their ideal team look like?

Comments
tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Do you have some source?

That would be stupid from them. But well they have bigger problem in defends amd central mid though

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

I'm your independent secret source

golazospyingforsource

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

I don't think I ever saw a really good performance from Dyballa in Argentinam. He claimed himself that Messi was taking his spot so that pretty much rules him out. Icardi on the other hand tried hard to fit and do well but he was average. Agüero Will be our number 9 and most likely Higuaín a back up.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

It's a very hard job to pick out the best combination without someone questioning the choices that are made, I think if they don't win the World Cup, Sampaoli is getting sacked.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Argentina’s problem is defense and midlefield. It’s hard to rely on Banega and co, on the wings their best option is Rojo. I would give angel Correa a chance in the attack.
Argentina are the most unbalanced team of WC, but they have the X-factor with them :)

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

@Golazo Well, its pretty much alway how it go with Argentina, they don't really have the tendency to keep a manager who doesn't win them trophy for long. Maybe if he reach the semi, they will keep him but obviously, an early exit is nearly 100% a sack.

@Raimondo For sure, Argentina have tons of option upfront, I personally think Aguero need to start upfront or that he and Gonzalo rotation depending on situation.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Golazo Well, its pretty much alway how it go with Argentina, they don't really have the tendency to keep a manager who doesn't win them trophy for long. Maybe if he reach the semi, they will keep him but obviously, an early exit is nearly 100% a sack.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

uncapped players are to bébés tested : Fabricio Bustos, Maximiliano Meza, Pablo Perez, and Lautaro Martínez, although is without Sergio Aguero due to injury.

Sampaoli is not to be blamed in case of failure, he came after the Albicelest crisis. He has few time to create a «  team with a working formula « Argentina should have anticipated Mascerano, Zabaleta and co aging directly after WC 2014, and focus on the future.
They didn’t and it’s not Sampaoli mistake. Now he has a little time to find a working team. Won’t be enough to achieve wonders, but as I said there is something they have that make everything possible.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@tiki Are you talking about Messi? :D Cause I agree with you if that the case.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

They didn’t and it’s not Sampaoli mistake.

Pretty sure it's his mistake since he had the time to make a transition after 2014, it's 4 years after that so you are not making a case here.
Many eyebrows are going to be raised since I'm sure at least one of either Dybala or Icardi should be in the team pretty much by default.

There is some report saying that Messi doesn't like Icardi and that he stopped the potential transfer of him to Barcelona in order to protect Suarez and Dybala is seen as a new Messi so he probably doesn't like him either since they would compete for the same position but does that mean that none of them shouldn't be on the bench at least, what happens if Aguero doesn't perform, only Higuain there as backup and Icardi that has 22 goals in 24 games is somehow not included?

_Gonzi_ 6 years ago Edited
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

As someone who follows the national team consistently, they don't need Icardi. Higuain and Aguero will always be ahead of him. Both of them can fall back and contribute to play, and they already have chemistry with messi and co. Icardi is a cherry picker, hardly builds play and if the mid isn't performing he is completely isolated. I have seen Higuain drop deeper than Dybala for Juve and create plays. On the topic of Dybala, i had huge excitement every time he stepped onto the pitch and he has failed every time. He looks seriously lost on the pitch unless he is playing his favored secondary striker role. He can't play as an all out 9 and he can't play as a right winger, he just naturally doesn't go out wide. That is why salvio, correa, meza and pavon are all being tried on that right side. We need width on the right. sampa can't just take dybala because he's dybala. the team will have a greater chance if sampa uses previously successful national team players in their natural role or players who play in that position with their club, ex. pavon, correa. if dybala and messi both play, then essentially we're playing with 10 since they both walk on the pitch for extended periods of time. The only successful experience dybala has had on the pitch was when he was put on as a last minute sub beside lavezzi and he sprinted for 15 minutes. If he wants to play he'll have to learn to adapt to messi, he can't play the same role, he has to constantly run wide.

That being said, Icardi has 0 chance of going to the world cup. dybala i'd say has a 60% chance, mostly because he, in my opinion, is the future of the national team and it would be seriously irresponsible to deprive him of the opportunity to experience the atmosphere of a world cup.

The attack is solid. we have the fantastic 4 up top - di maria, messi, higuain/aguero. and if we find a right winger we'll be set (salvio/pavon). Contrary to popular belief, our defense is just as good. i'd actually say we have too much defense. rojo, fazio, funes, otamendi, even masche as center backs is too much. on the right is the invincible mercado. on the left taglia/acuna/rojo will battle it out. We rarely concede in official match games. IF SOMEONE CAN ACTUALLY PROVIDE A GOOD ARGUMENT against argentina having good defense i'd like to hear it. i'm tired of people saying every WC that defense is an issue. TIRED OF IT. we are one of the top 3 best teams in terms of defense. we RARELY concede during tournaments. no one attacks us...not even germany in the final, so argentina are always pressing. the only team who completely destroyed our system is brazil during the last friendly. where coutinho scored an absolute stunner. and this was only because sampa was trying his back 3 approach for the first time. now sampa is reverting to a back 4. with the rise of tagliafico and acuna as a wing back, argentina are more than set. the issue is actually midfield. argentina have experienced midfield so honestly it's not even that big of an issue, however the trick now is to find more creative and explosive players. in my opinion, masche should stay on the bench the entire WC. the mid should be a either biglia/banega and paredes MAYBE. I was disappointed kranevitter was left out, he is exceptional...but i guess sampa sees something i don't. lo celso as an attacking mid might be fun (definitely not as a DM like against RM, that was bad lol). also someone said something about pablo perez up top, that's jokes. bring in enzo and get pablo the heck out of the national team. last note: banega is class. you don't know football if you don't accept that as fact.

• History

As someone who follows the national team consistently, they don't need Icardi. Higuain and Aguero will always be ahead of him. Both of them can fall back and contribute to play, and they already have chemistry with messi and co. Icardi is a cherry picker, hardly builds play and if the mid isn't performing he is completely isolated. I have seen Higuain drop deeper than Dybala for Juve and create plays. On the topic of Dybala, i had huge excitement every time he stepped onto the pitch and he has failed every time. He looks seriously lost on the pitch unless he is playing his favored secondary striker role. He can't play as all out 9 and he can't play as a right winger, he just naturally doesn't go out wide. That is why salvio, correa, meza and pavon are all being tried on that right side. We need width on the right. sampa can't just take dybala because he's dybala. the team will have a greater chance if sampa uses previously successful national team players in their natural role or players who play in that position with their club, ex. pavon, correa. if dybala and messi both play, then essentially we're playing with 10 since they both walk on the pitch for extended periods of time. The only successful experience dybala has had on the pitch was when he was put on beside lavezzi and he sprinted for 15 minutes. If he wants to play he'll have to learn to adapt to messi, he can't play the same role, he has to constantly run wide.

That being said, Icardi has 0 chance of going to the world cup. dybala i'd say has a 60% chance, mostly because he in my opinion is the future of the national team and it would be seriously irresponsible to deprive him of the opportunity to experience the atmosphere of a world cup.

The attack is solid. we have the fantastic 4 up top - di maria, messi, higuain/aguaro. and if we find a right winger we'll be set (salvio/pavon). Contrary to popular belief, our defense is just as good. i'd actually say we have too much defense. We rarely concede in official match games. no one attacks us...not even germany in the final, so argentina are always pressing. the only team who completely destroyed our system is brazil during the last friendly. where coutinho scored an absolute stunner. and this was only because sampa was trying his back 3 approach for the first time. now sampa is reverting to a back 4. with the rise of tagliafico and acuna as a wing back, argentina are more than set. the issue is actually midfield. argentina have experienced midfield, however the trick now is to find more creative and explosive players. in my opinion, masche should stay on the bench the entire WC. the mid should be a either biglia/banega and paredes MAYBE. I was dissapointed kranevitter was left out, he is exceptional...but i guess sampa sees something i don't.

As someone who follows the national team consistently, they don't need Icardi. Higuain and Aguero will always be ahead of him. Both of them can fall back and contribute to play, and they already have chemistry with messi and co. Icardi is a cherry picker, hardly builds play and if the mid isn't performing he is completely isolated. I have seen Higuain drop deeper than Dybala for Juve and create plays. On the topic of Dybala, i had huge excitement every time he stepped onto the pitch and he has failed every time. He looks seriously lost on the pitch unless he is playing his favored secondary striker role. He can't play as an all out 9 and he can't play as a right winger, he just naturally doesn't go out wide. That is why salvio, correa, meza and pavon are all being tried on that right side. We need width on the right. sampa can't just take dybala because he's dybala. the team will have a greater chance if sampa uses previously successful national team players in their natural role or players who play in that position with their club, ex. pavon, correa. if dybala and messi both play, then essentially we're playing with 10 since they both walk on the pitch for extended periods of time. The only successful experience dybala has had on the pitch was when he was put on beside lavezzi and he sprinted for 15 minutes. If he wants to play he'll have to learn to adapt to messi, he can't play the same role, he has to constantly run wide.

That being said, Icardi has 0 chance of going to the world cup. dybala i'd say has a 60% chance, mostly because he, in my opinion, is the future of the national team and it would be seriously irresponsible to deprive him of the opportunity to experience the atmosphere of a world cup.

The attack is solid. we have the fantastic 4 up top - di maria, messi, higuain/aguaro. and if we find a right winger we'll be set (salvio/pavon). Contrary to popular belief, our defense is just as good. i'd actually say we have too much defense. rojo, fazio, funes, otamendi, even masche as center backs is too much. on the right is the invincible mercado. on the left taglia/acuna/rojo will battle it out. We rarely concede in official match games. IF SOMEONE CAN ACTUALLY PROVIDE A GOOD ARGUMENT against argentina having good defense i'd like to hear it. i'm tired of people saying every WC that defense is an issue. TIRED OF IT. we are one of the top 3 best teams in terms of defense. we RARELY concede during tournaments. no one attacks us...not even germany in the final, so argentina are always pressing. the only team who completely destroyed our system is brazil during the last friendly. where coutinho scored an absolute stunner. and this was only because sampa was trying his back 3 approach for the first time. now sampa is reverting to a back 4. with the rise of tagliafico and acuna as a wing back, argentina are more than set. the issue is actually midfield. argentina have experienced midfield, however the trick now is to find more creative and explosive players. in my opinion, masche should stay on the bench the entire WC. the mid should be a either biglia/banega and paredes MAYBE. I was dissapointed kranevitter was left out, he is exceptional...but i guess sampa sees something i don't.

As someone who follows the national team consistently, they don't need Icardi. Higuain and Aguero will always be ahead of him. Both of them can fall back and contribute to play, and they already have chemistry with messi and co. Icardi is a cherry picker, hardly builds play and if the mid isn't performing he is completely isolated. I have seen Higuain drop deeper than Dybala for Juve and create plays. On the topic of Dybala, i had huge excitement every time he stepped onto the pitch and he has failed every time. He looks seriously lost on the pitch unless he is playing his favored secondary striker role. He can't play as an all out 9 and he can't play as a right winger, he just naturally doesn't go out wide. That is why salvio, correa, meza and pavon are all being tried on that right side. We need width on the right. sampa can't just take dybala because he's dybala. the team will have a greater chance if sampa uses previously successful national team players in their natural role or players who play in that position with their club, ex. pavon, correa. if dybala and messi both play, then essentially we're playing with 10 since they both walk on the pitch for extended periods of time. The only successful experience dybala has had on the pitch was when he was put on as a last minute sub beside lavezzi and he sprinted for 15 minutes. If he wants to play he'll have to learn to adapt to messi, he can't play the same role, he has to constantly run wide.

The attack is solid. we have the fantastic 4 up top - di maria, messi, higuain/aguaro. and if we find a right winger we'll be set (salvio/pavon). Contrary to popular belief, our defense is just as good. i'd actually say we have too much defense. rojo, fazio, funes, otamendi, even masche as center backs is too much. on the right is the invincible mercado. on the left taglia/acuna/rojo will battle it out. We rarely concede in official match games. IF SOMEONE CAN ACTUALLY PROVIDE A GOOD ARGUMENT against argentina having good defense i'd like to hear it. i'm tired of people saying every WC that defense is an issue. TIRED OF IT. we are one of the top 3 best teams in terms of defense. we RARELY concede during tournaments. no one attacks us...not even germany in the final, so argentina are always pressing. the only team who completely destroyed our system is brazil during the last friendly. where coutinho scored an absolute stunner. and this was only because sampa was trying his back 3 approach for the first time. now sampa is reverting to a back 4. with the rise of tagliafico and acuna as a wing back, argentina are more than set. the issue is actually midfield. argentina have experienced midfield, however the trick now is to find more creative and explosive players. in my opinion, masche should stay on the bench the entire WC. the mid should be a either biglia/banega and paredes MAYBE. I was dissapointed kranevitter was left out, he is exceptional...but i guess sampa sees something i don't.

The attack is solid. we have the fantastic 4 up top - di maria, messi, higuain/aguero. and if we find a right winger we'll be set (salvio/pavon). Contrary to popular belief, our defense is just as good. i'd actually say we have too much defense. rojo, fazio, funes, otamendi, even masche as center backs is too much. on the right is the invincible mercado. on the left taglia/acuna/rojo will battle it out. We rarely concede in official match games. IF SOMEONE CAN ACTUALLY PROVIDE A GOOD ARGUMENT against argentina having good defense i'd like to hear it. i'm tired of people saying every WC that defense is an issue. TIRED OF IT. we are one of the top 3 best teams in terms of defense. we RARELY concede during tournaments. no one attacks us...not even germany in the final, so argentina are always pressing. the only team who completely destroyed our system is brazil during the last friendly. where coutinho scored an absolute stunner. and this was only because sampa was trying his back 3 approach for the first time. now sampa is reverting to a back 4. with the rise of tagliafico and acuna as a wing back, argentina are more than set. the issue is actually midfield. argentina have experienced midfield so honestly it's not even that big of an issue, however the trick now is to find more creative and explosive players. in my opinion, masche should stay on the bench the entire WC. the mid should be a either biglia/banega and paredes MAYBE. I was disappointed kranevitter was left out, he is exceptional...but i guess sampa sees something i don't. lo celso as an attacking mid might be fun (definitely not as a DF like against RM, that was bad lol). also someone said something about pablo perez up top, that's jokes. bring in enzo and get pablo the heck out of the national team. last note: banega is class. you don't know football if you don't accept that as fact.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Just by watching the last World Cup it's obvious that Argentina did have a good defense it was very hard to score against that team and Otamendi and Rojo played so well they got bought by PL clubs. But midfield is the problem.
Icardi has a bad rep and news rumors say Real Madrid players don't want him in the dressing room and ofc there is that scandal he did as well so maybe he just doesn't fit the team cohesion, but Dybala can sit on the bench no problem.

yep completely agree golazo. like i said, get dybala on the bench, get him accustomed to the WC atmosphere. Icardi, even with all the bad rep, he doesn't fit the NT, we need players who can fall back and create play. Both higuain and aguero can do that. i'd take lautaro over him anyday, the kid has heart.

the best team i have seen so far this capaign
romero
mercado, otamendi, fazio(both rojo/funes injured. but i like him more than both. levelheaded af), acuna(absolute class, try denying this)
biglia, banega or enzo (only bc kranevitter isn't called up. WHY ISN'T HE CALLED UP SAMPA:( )
pavon/salvio(both soo good don't know who to choose), messi (no explanation necessary), higuain(personal opinion), di maria

• History

yep completely agree golazo. like is said, get dybala on the bench, get him accustomed to the WC atmosphere. Icardi, even with all the bad rep, he doesn't fit the NT. i'd take lautaro over him anyday, the kid has heart.

yep completely agree golazo. like i said, get dybala on the bench, get him accustomed to the WC atmosphere. Icardi, even with all the bad rep, he doesn't fit the NT. i'd take lautaro over him anyday, the kid has heart.

yep completely agree golazo. like i said, get dybala on the bench, get him accustomed to the WC atmosphere. Icardi, even with all the bad rep, he doesn't fit the NT, we need players who can fall back and create play. Both higuain and aguero can do that. i'd take lautaro over him anyday, the kid has heart.

romero
mercado, otamendi, fazio(both rojo/funes injured), acuna(absolute class, try denying this)
biglia, enzo (only bc kranevitter isn't called up. WHY ISN'T HE CALLED UP SAMPA:( )
pavon/salvio(both soo good don't know who too choose), messi (no explanation necessary), higuain(personal opinion), di maria

no matter who goes. i will support every player. you can call me biased.

romero
mercado, otamendi, fazio(both rojo/funes injured), acuna(absolute class, try denying this)
biglia, banega or enzo (only bc kranevitter isn't called up. WHY ISN'T HE CALLED UP SAMPA:( )
pavon/salvio(both soo good don't know who to choose), messi (no explanation necessary), higuain(personal opinion), di maria

@tuan_jinn - problems in defense. you can't be serious. read my initial post. the midfield aren't big names but they have more experience in finals than any other team in the last 5 years. denying that banega, enzo and biglia (the trio) and even masche are class is criminal.

@tiki taka - unbalanced??? france and belgium are unbalanced. stop with the bullshit defense issues....or provide facts. look at cup tournaments - the 2 copas and the past WC - if anything argentina are too stable. qualifiers aren't a reflection of how south american teams will perform in cup tournaments. i can't wait till brazil, uruguay, argentina start picking off teams one by one. colombia ehh...they tend to fall apart. peru are really strong too.

@emo - good stuff. but higuain over aguero any day of any year.

• History

@tuan_jinn - problems in defense. you can't be serious. read my initial post. the midfield aren't big names but they have more experience in finals than any other team in the last 10 years. denying that banega, enzo and biglia (the trio) and even masche are class is criminal.

@tiki taka - unbalanced??? france and belgium are unbalanced. stop with the bullshit defense issues....or provide facts.

@tuan_jinn - problems in defense. you can't be serious. read my initial post. the midfield aren't big names but they have more experience in finals than any other team in the last 10 years. denying that banega, enzo and biglia (the trio) and even masche are class is criminal.

@tiki taka - unbalanced??? france and belgium are unbalanced. stop with the bullshit defense issues....or provide facts. look at cup tournaments - the 2 copas and the past WC - if anything argentina are too stable. qualifiers aren't a reflection of how south american teams will perform in cup tournaments. i can't wait till brazil, uruguay, argentina start picking off teams one by one. colombia ehh...they tend to fall apart. peru are really strong too.

raimondo90 6 years ago

I say in our last 6 years defense has been the best thing we have. Our attack seriously looks lost when Messi isn't doing everything. I hate Di María with a passion and I'm pissed off he will be a starter again. This guy just constantly loses balls and misses every single pass/cross in the final third.

@Golazo only correction I have is that this issues aren't Sampaolis responsibility. AFA was in chaos and which lead to Martino quitting when he had a good project going. After that Bauza was a horrendous choice which destroyed the team. Sampaoli Is trying to fix all that.

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

I'd agree midfield is problem, everytime I watch Argentina I can just see that something's wrong in center of the field. They're well covered in attack, great strikers and that makes some fantastic players left out. Defence is above-average both on paper and on the field. Fazio, Rojo, Mascherano and others are good and there are also young players who will probably make a name in the future.

Question for @Gonzi or @rai, is there any realistic chance Cervi makes the squad? I've watched him in UCL and Liga Nos and only reason for him to be left out is stackness of attack I guess. If he has confidence, he is awesome, more frequent Benfica watchers say that he is one of their best players this season.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Gonzi Well, to be fair, I got no problem seeing Higuain start over Aguero in the WC, both of them are class but no doubt Higuain is a bit better, I was talking mostly because of club from where Aguero have been really good at time recently. However, I just hope they also rest Higuain from time to time, especially before the final because thats where he seem to have a harder team imo. He has a really dissapointing record in those games so if he really must start, he need all the energy he can get.

@Raimondo Yeah, for me, Di Maria is a bit of a controversial player, he is good, but he look to me like one that doesn't perform as well under pressure, everytime he was good at a european club, it was in a team that was dominating the league by a decent margin as well. I never was completely impress by his performance. Personally would like to see a younger player start over him as well, would be good for the future.

raimondo90 6 years ago

@Croatian as it stands Cervi has 0 chance to be in the final squad. He has no international caps and I don't think he's even been considered by Sampaoli. Too many players in contention already.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

@Croatian That make sense, Argentina have so many option on those position, especially considering some of them already have international experience. I still think its amazing how Portuguese team manage to get so many talented young player. I wonder how they do it. Scout or great academy?

• History

@Croatian That make sense, Argentina have so many option on those position, especially considering some of them already have international experience.

With respect to what you guys said, I agree. it's too much di maria, but you have to remember that he potentiates messi and has more understanding with him than any other player. Di maria was more influential in bringing Argentina to the WC final than messi. He was just as important. Respecting his history with the NT is very important, we can't over criticize him. Yes it's annoying that he can never really play a final at full fitness, but he's instrumental in getting argentina to the final. Di maria, messi and otamendi are untouchable in the national team. those 3 players make argentina world beaters. i've seen cervi. he won't play this WC, but hes at an age where he could play 2 in the future....that goes for dybala and icardi too. to be fair i don't know much about him. However, after this WC, this era of players will be gone. many will retire and a new age of young players will play the copa america. i'd say, not even one of the players playing the WC will play the 2019 copa america. it will be an all new team.

@emo, i see your points. But as a fan of the argentina NT (and other fans will tell you), aguero has done nothing important. he was injured the 2010 WC, he was a sub on and injured in the 2014 WC. i trust higuain in that role, for me he is one of the top 3 strikers in the world. he is just exceptional in that role and he can fall back. aguero, as many NT fans will tell you, is just okay.

• History

With respect to what you guys said, I agree. it's too much di maria, but you have to remember that he potentiates messi and has more understanding with him than any other player. Di maria was more influential in bringing Argentina to the WC final than messi. He was just as important. Respecting his history with the NT is very important, we can't over criticize him. Yes it's annoying than he can never really play a final at full fitness, but he's instrumental in getting argentina to the final. Di maria, messi and otamendi are untouchable in the national team. those 3 players make argentina world beaters. i've seen cervi. he won't play this WC, but hes at an age where he could play 2 in the future....that goes for dybala and icardi too. to be fair i don't know much about him. However, after this WC, this era of players will be gone. many will retire and a new age of young players will play the copa america. i'd say, not even one of the players playing the WC will play the 2019 copa america. it will be an all new team.

@emo, i see your points. But as a fan of the argentina NT (and other fans will tell you), aguero has done nothing important. he was injured the 2010 WC, he was a sub on and injured in the 2014 WC. i trust higuain in that role, for me he is top 3 strikers in the world. he is just exceptional in that role and he can fall back. aguero, as many NT fans will tell you, is just okay.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Gonzi Fair enough mate, I trust you with this since I mostly only watch Aguero on a club level. And its true I don't remember him scoring that many important club for the National Team. He might still be with Maradona daugther if he did. It also remind me I kind of miss Lavezzi, I know he wasn't the best player but I still think he shouldn't left for China.