Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Argentina without the likes of Icardi,Dybala...?
Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Some recent comments from the national manager Sampaoli suggest that the squad won't have some of the best attackers in the world.

How would their ideal team look like?

Comments
amir_keal 6 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

tuan_jinn

It's only a provisional I think, not confirmed yet. Looks likely, but I think Icardi won't make it. Dybala should have his place though, Juventus title is mainly because of him.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

tuan_jinn

It's only a provisional I think, not confirmed yet. Looks likely, but I think Icardi won't make it. Dybala should have his place though, Juventus title is mainly because of him.

tiki10taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 0 82

I’m supporting France, Then Argentina and finally Spain.
My favorites: Spain, Brazil, France/Germany,.....Belgium.
Both Holland and Italy are out, be careful from African nations specially Egypt, Senegal and Morocco to haunt Portuguese place, everyone rates Nigeria I rate Senegal/Morocco higher.
England have their best form since 98. Should reach quarterfinals at least then hope.

Argentina reaching Semifinals would be already an achievement considering their sloppy mid/defense.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Argentina wins and Messi overcomes Maradona, quote me in late July.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Very optimistic. England will be out in first round. These maggots can only play for their clubs. If Argentina wins World Cup then literally pigs will fly. Egypt has better chances than Argentina. Them argentinians didn't even deserve to be in World Cup

Dynastian98 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Messi's club accomplishments dwarf Maradona's... I don't think Messi needs to win the WC to surpass him, in my eyes. When he retires, he will, most probably, be colloquially regarded as the greatest.

• That being said, unless Argentina figure something out, I think they will be out by the quarter-finals. Especially if they are unfortunate enough to face a team like Spain, France, or Germany very early on in the knockout stages.
  • Also, England is hilariously poor as a team. I love how the English media always ask the question "Do England have a chance?" and English pundits reply "They might if they do this and this...". This nonsense is always happening every bloody tournament, and when the English team gets knocked out all the English media act shocked and disappointed, almost as if they think the likes of Shearer and Lampard are still playing for the national team. The English national team has absolutely zero chance of reaching the semi-finals, much less winning.
  • I also think Portugal might go far, they could be the dark horses this tournament.
  • Germany is still my favorite to win the competition, and gladly so.
  • Brazil and France will be interesting, I'm not 100% sure either of them are good enough to win but I'm definitely not going to bet against them.
  • I also expect very good results from Spain.
  • History

Messi's club accomplishments dwarf Maradona's... I don't think Messi needs to win the WC to surpass him, in my eyes. When he retires, he will, most probably, be colloquially regarded as the greatest.

That being said, unless Argentina figure something out, I think they will be out by the quarter-finals. Also, England is hilariously poor as a team. I love how the English media always ask the question "Do England have a chance?" and English pundits reply "They might if they do this and this...". This nonsense is always happening every bloody tournament, and when the English team gets knocked out all the English media act shocked and disappointed, almost as if they think the likes of Shearer and Lampard are still playing for the national team. The English national team has absolutely zero chance of reaching the semi-finals, much less winning.

I also think Portugal might go far, they could be the dark horses this tournament. Germany is still my favorite to win the competition, and gladly so. Brazil and France will be interesting, I'm not 100% sure either of them are good enough to win but I'm definitely not going to bet against them. I also expect very good results from Spain.

• That being said, unless Argentina figure something out, I think they will be out by the quarter-finals.
  • Also, England is hilariously poor as a team. I love how the English media always ask the question "Do England have a chance?" and English pundits reply "They might if they do this and this...". This nonsense is always happening every bloody tournament, and when the English team gets knocked out all the English media act shocked and disappointed, almost as if they think the likes of Shearer and Lampard are still playing for the national team. The English national team has absolutely zero chance of reaching the semi-finals, much less winning.

• I also think Portugal might go far, they could be the dark horses this tournament.
  • Germany is still my favorite to win the competition, and gladly so.
  • Brazil and France will be interesting, I'm not 100% sure either of them are good enough to win but I'm definitely not going to bet against them.
  • I also expect very good results from Spain.
Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Argentina always struggles in quals, but at the event they are very hard to beat.
They got a good coach and Messi will be rested enough, their defence is solid and attack is one of the best, with Messi playing deeper their midfield will be able to coupe with the opponents mid players.

Last time they were close, took Germany to extra time. This time around they will not fail.

As much as Messi did in La liga as the best player of that leagye in whole history, his failure with the national team still puts him behind Maradona so this year he will win the World Cup.

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Why is Messi a failure with the national team? He's done fairly well for the most part. The only knock against Messi is that he hasn't performed in big games (missed penalty in Copa final, non-existent vs. Holland and Germany in WC, non-existent vs. Germany in 2010 WC). But outside of these handful of crucial games, he's done rather well.

He's helped the team reach multiple finals and has scored buckets of goals for them. I don't think the loss of a final can be blamed entirely upon one player, even if he is your best player. Of course, he is part of the blame, but he shouldn't be singled out. Outside of big-match temperament, I think Messi's Argentina career has been pretty solid.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

That's still nothing compared to Maradona though, watch here his run at the World Cup, one of the best solo performances the World has seen along with maybe Baresi for Italy, if you want to be the best of all time you really need that World Cup:

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Cant agree more @Dyn.

However, there will always be critics and opinions on Messi's national failure. Which to most is the cup itself. A fair opinion though (doesnt necessarily mean the absolute truth).

This year Argentina looks dark, unless Messi perform well and in all crucial game (against big team). As soon as he doesnt perform Argentina is going to look real crap.

But against big team who might figure him out, he needs big help from his teammates... And some ome who can step up... Argentina beside striker does not have any.

England is year in year out has the same overhyped shit and the pundit talks too much... Although this year Kane and Vardy are on top form... Might be interesting

Brazil is scary, so is France...

Im rooting for England though

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Golazo111

That's still nothing compared to Maradona though, watch here his run at the World Cup, one of the best solo performances the World has seen along with maybe Baresi for Italy, if you want to be the best of all time you really need that World Cup:

Klose is a WC legend, but that's pretty much all he's known for, even though he was exceptional at club level.

I think it's true he should aim to get at least one international trophy, but that doesn't take away what he has done in his career. Also in Maradona's era it was a lot easier to attack, there was a lot of development in technology, tactics.... What he did with Napoli and Argentina and stuff was amazing, but having something Messi doesn't mean he is better, especially without a Champions League, and those are easier to win as they are played more.

If we are talking about favourites, Germany are my pick, then Spain, then Brazil.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Also in Maradona's era it was a lot easier to attack, there was a lot of development in technology, tactics....

It's actually the opposite. It's easier to score goals today and stats showed that before it was a lower goal ratio, with all improvements the efficacy is higher, in Maradona's time the defences were maybe one of the best in football history as well.

but having something Messi doesn't mean he is better, especially without a Champions League, and those are easier to win as they are played more.

Well it's the World Cup and the best of all time we are talking about, it's in terms of legacy that Messi needs that as a big argument in his favor, the Brazilian Ronaldo also never won the Champions League but with the World Cup he has a big legacy, so I argue about Messi not being at the levels of Cruyff but above that and the World Cup title would provide that, you can have a lot of benefits in your club with many top players from different countries but to win something for your nation is something very special, Messi was very close 4 years ago and I chose to believe that he does have what it takes to win it.

Marcus2011 6 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Tuan

Then we will need to start England fans support group because emotional damage that we will go through will be incomparable with being out of World Cup like netherlands. At least they stayed home and saved country from being humilated by UNITED STATES OF AMERICA or third world country where they grew up kicking bottle instead of a ball but still play better football than english players. I don't know wtf happens to them when they put on that national jersey but they turn into complete sht!

• History

Tuan

Then we will need to start England fans support group because emotional damage that we will go through will be incomparable with being out of World Cup like netherlands. At least they stayed home and saved country from being humilated by UNITED STATES OF AMERICA or third world country where they grew up kicking bottle instead of a ball but still play better football than english players. I don't wtf happens to them when they put on that national jersey but they turn into complete sht!

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

when comparing with maradona, there is many different ways of looking at it due to the importance of champions league games these days too. I don't care how people want to judge messi, it's in their opinion. but winning the world cup would certainly made him more peaceful. rather than being compared to maradona all his life. there is more pressure for messi to win the WC than neymar or ronaldo. tbf, germany needs xtra time in the last final so it's close. with sampaoli currently, hope is there , he has the experience in 1 leg knockout matches (copa america, WC).

tiki10taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 0 82

non existent vs Holland and Germany ? re-watch his individual highlights...

Actually notscoring isnt enough to rule out a Messi game, at the diferenceof simple poachers... not scoring from a midlefielder who s main role was to feed Higuain and co, which he did numerous times...

nah; Football is more than that, more than stats; more than who scored or who assisted.... Argentina wouldnt have gone past through group stages in 2014 without him, i watched games enough with him and without him to know his impact on rival minds...

He is the Lebron James of Football, to anihilate him, you should play as a team a get 3-4 players focused zonally when he has the ball... That impact is priceless without any stat on his side that alone is a big plus....

When you see how solid is Barca/Argentina are with him, how sloppy without him its not a coincidence, the defensive duty he obliges rivals to do take 60% of their strikeforce, Holland and Germany didnt score for a reason...

tiki10taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 0 82

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KsvqDDiF8M

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jif6FG7zpQ

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

There is 1 big stat that goes against him though, still no goal in the knockout phase in the World Cup is not good enough, I predict he will score this year after the group stage as well.

There are just those football fate things, even Maradona won 1 WC and then lost a Final later, for Messi it will be the opposite as he first lost a WC final.

Diego

Dynastian98 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Occupation of space is a very technical observance, but it should only apply to players who consciously use that to their team's advantage. Messi hardly ever moves off-ball, unlike Ronaldo or Lewandowski, and his occupation of space during those games meant practically nothing because he didn't utilize the attention the defense was giving him. Messi is almost 99% an on-ball player, and when he doesn't have the ball he does almost nothing. It's a fair criticism of him, you can't deny this.

He was garbage against Holland and Germany in the 2014 WC. Played great in the group stages, but that counts for nothing if you don't play well in the three final, and most important, matches of the tournament. Argentina barely skinned through Belgium, Holland, and just lost to Germany. All tight games that were able because of their defensive ability, not because of an isolated Messi up top.

If Argentina want to do well this tournament, they need to feed Messi the ball. They will be, once again, wasting him if they leave him isolated and feed him scraps.

• History

Occupation of space is a very technical observance, but it should only apply to players who consciously use that to their team's advantage. Messi hardly ever moves off-ball, unlike Ronaldo or Lewandowski, and his occupation of space during those games meant practically nothing because he didn't utilize the attention the defense was giving him. Messi is almost 99% an on-ball player, and when he doesn't have the ball he does almost nothing. It's a fair criticism of him, you can't deny this.

He was garbage against Holland and Germany in the 2014 WC. Played great in the group stages, but that counts for nothing if you don't play well in the three final, and most important, matches of the tournament. Argentina barely skinned through Belgium, Holland, and just lost to Germany. All tight games that were able because of their defensive ability, not because of an isolated Messi up top.

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Also... add me so I can post on your wall.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

I would prefer icardi ahead of higuain tbh. anyway why is angel correa from atm is not in instead of meza?