Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Argentina without the likes of Icardi,Dybala...?
Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Some recent comments from the national manager Sampaoli suggest that the squad won't have some of the best attackers in the world.

How would their ideal team look like?

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

@baldgenius So Dybala is in after all but not Icardi, not completely surprised with that. Seem like a good team considering the possibility they had. Also Icardi got very little international experience when compared to Higuain, so it made sense at least in term of experience to take Gonzalo over Icardi.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@baldgenius So Dybala is in after all but not Icardi, not completely surprised with that. Seem like a good team considering the possibility they had.

@baldgenius So Dybala is in after all but not Icardi, not completely surprised with that. Seem like a good team considering the possibility they had. Also Icardi got very little international experience when compared to Higuain, so it made sense at least in term of experience to take Gonzalo over Icardi for me at least.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

Oh guys, we completely forgot but Lanzini won't be playing because he got an injury. Poor guy. :( Seem like its Enzo Perez who is going to replace him.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Dybala will be on the bench at the first game, anything but an easy win vs Island would be a big surprise to me.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Well Messi failed hard once again, I got nothing more to say...

Lodatz 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Personally, I thought Messi had a good game. Of course, having a penalty saved never looks good, but once again if he wasn't on the pitch Iceland probably wouldn't have conceded.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Yep, that penalty from Messi was poorly taken, but Iceland in general played phenomenally against Argentina.

It was a tactical masterclass from them to lock around Mess I throughout the game, the rest of the Argentineans were quiet without the hands of their ace.

I don't understand why some people are complaining about Iceland playing defensively, its not like they have the same attributes on attack as Argentina does, and even Argentina's defence was poor whenever Iceland found a chance to counter attack. They were simply outmuscled.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@iHEART Indeed, its completely stupid to expect a team like Iceland to play against Argentina as if they were egal in strenght, it would be asking to lose. Weaker teams sadly don't have any choice to remain revelant but to play on the defensive.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Messi ran less than the goalkeepers this last game...Maradona said he wished Ronaldo was an Argentinian, Mario Kempes said that Messi left his legacy in Barcelona.

Now his fans will blame Sampaoli even if he did exactly like Messi wanted, if someone needs so many excuses he simply isn't in a real goat discussion.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Golazo Messi never been a player that run around a lot. Generally, this doesn't cause any problem either. In this case, Argentina as a whole flopped. But yeah, Messi wasn't a savior this time around. :(

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Generally, this doesn't cause any problem either.

He never makes runs in the pitch unless he's chasing the ball. It's a huge reason why he has a poor scoring record against top teams in recent years. When he is marked by defenders, he sulks and distances himself from the game. He'll only try to do something on the ball, which is extremely stubborn and insensible.

Messi has played like trash this tournament. Don't apologize for his failures just because his name is Lionel Messi. If you don't do it for Ronaldo or Neymar, don't do it for Messi either. Top players have no excuse for underperforming on a consistent basis.

Pupper 6 years ago
Juventus 0 214

Maradona said he wished Ronaldo was an Argentinian

"Diego Maradona would have liked to see a star of Cristiano Ronaldo's calibre line up alongside Lionel Messi for Argentina's national side."

This Argentina side recently lost 6-1 to Spain, and almost didn't qualify for the world cup.. Only thing that surprised me by yesterday's match was that Argentina were way worse than i already expected them to be.

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

the team selection was absolutely shocking, again. I never counted Argentina as a possible winner, but this is beyond everything I could expect, simply terrible in every possible way.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

"Diego Maradona would have liked to see a star of Cristiano Ronaldo's calibre line up alongside Lionel Messi for Argentina's national side."

Am I reading this correctly? Did he actually tell the tabloids to quote him saying this? If so, he should honestly shut the f*ck up and live the rest of his miserable days away from the media. Honestly, he's contributing nothing to the Argentinian footballing culture but constant moans and comparing Messi with Ronaldo as if it's some kind of destiny. Time not only did him a disservice physically, but mentally. He, and along with other moaning Argentinians, should feel blessed by the gods to have not only Messi, but a whole group of superstars on their side. Asking for a little more is beyond pathetic.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Putting this on the shoulders of any one player is overreaching. Argentina barely qualified. Their FA has been in shambles for decades. Some of their better players didn't even get called up. Yeah, Messi has hardly been anywhere near "world class player" let alone his club form. That being said, it's hardly solely his issue.

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Messi ran less than the goalkeepers this last game

This. He's genius, no doubt, he can allow himself to 'play lazy' at times, he can walk on field and still be able to produce chances or shots, but he simply has to open himself up more. He doesn't have the players he can simply pass to and get goal in Argentina, yesterday he didn't have some worldclass dribbler next to him (take a look at Acuna, Meza, Enzo Perez... - what are they doing in Argentina's starting lineup?). At that moment, any worldclass player would take responsibility, open up, dribble one or two, and then look for best solution.

Messi walked around the box and mostly lost the ball in such times when Croatia was pressing, and Argentina was struggling.

He has to take a look at Isco, Ronaldo, Eriksen, Modrić, Rakitić, Neymar, Hazard and other players who take responsibilities more than him, and that's why they do better at international stage than Messi.

Of course, Sampaoli flopped with tactics, and Argentina's FA, mentality, chemistry inside squad etc. etc. doesn't help Messi. But he doesn't help Argentina either.

For next WC: burn down FA, get different coach, get Pavon, Lo Celso and other players into starting lineup and hope Messi can play atleast a bit. If he can't, go on. Sad to see Argentina this deep in problems.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Messi is doing a Lebron, not taking responsibility and just searching for excuses. Last chance against Nigeria.
It was his birthday and just like he has said that the world "owes" him a world cup Puyol said it as well and that is ridiculous if you want to be the best you need to show it.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

They did it, the dream is still alive.
Rojo was almost a tragic figure but became a hero, I agree with the Var decision he did a header first and did not have any intention of playing with the hand.

Now Brazilian fans can shut up with their chants.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

And so you and Amerr Lol

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Can't wait to see how Messi kicks out France, I'm with you Tiki!

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Messi didn't manage to overcome Maradona, 2006-2018 no goals in the knockout stages of the World Cup, I was very very wrong.

On the other side, Mbappe 19 years old scored twice and won the penalty for his team, amazing player.