Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Arsene Wenger steps down after 22 years
quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

enter image description here

After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season.
I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.
I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.
I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special. I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high. To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club.
My love and support for ever.

Arsene Wenger

Appointed on 1 October 1996, he is the Premier League's current longest-serving manager and has taken charge of a record 823 games.

In 2003-04, he became the first manager to lead a team through an English top-flight season unbeaten. Arsenal team of that year also w the "Best Team" category in the Premier League 20 Seasons Awards.

With 3 Premier League titles, 7 FA Cups, and doubles in 1998 and 2002 (and please win that one last trophy for this guy, he deserves it!) he is ending something special.

End of an era. I think older United fans may know the feel, it feels like part of your childhood just died. Him and Sir Alex, fighting for the glory. When I was kid I was always wondering why is a guy named Arsene, managing Arsenal, if he is owner, or if Arsenal is named after him and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

It's pretty sad feeling knowing it's over, but we all see it coming, this guy still deserves a legend statue, for what he has done not just for Arsenal, but for whole english football. It will be weird to see someone else managing Arsenal.

May the people remember you as a legend.

MerciArsene

enter image description here

Comments
nandaYNWA 6 years ago
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

he should have done it sooner because his legacy is now tainted. the question now becomes who will replace him?

_Pelle_ 6 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6885

^ Agree

respect to him anyways

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

It's tooooo weird to see Arsenal being managed by another manager. But it's time.

He should have stepped down a bit sooner.

His legacy is still there, loved by many people but there has been damages, that's for sure.

I do have the utmost respect for him though. Best of luck!

Eden17Hazard17 6 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Yep, it's going to be really weird to see Arsenal without Wenger next season.

A legacy is a legacy, and he'll go down in Arsenal history for the great things he's done, regardless of the trophy droughts. From a Chelsea fan, simply staying as manager for 22 years, never having a horrific season that gets you sacked is pretty impressive.

Intrigued for next season.

SunFlash 6 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

Literally have never been alive to see anyone else manage Arsenal. This will be different.

Luckily they have the United blueprint of how to f*ck up when moving on from your legendary manager, and (hopefully?) took something from that. Will be interesting to see what happens to Arsenal next season.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Literally have never been alive to see anyone else manage Arsenal. This will be different.

Luckily the have the United blueprint of how to f*ck up when moving on from your legendary manager, and (hopefully?) took something from that. Will be interesting to see what happens to Arsenal next season.

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

This must be so bittersweet for Arsenal fans, it made me bit emotional too lol. He's legend of the game, one of greatest, he had to go earlier but his talent for managing is undoubtely up there with best ever. All the best to him.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

This got me a lot more emotional I tought it would. I wanted it to happen but at the same time, its going to be such change... Still happy he was at least able to announce himself he was leaving, it felt like the right move to let people know from him that he was stopping managing. This man was and will forever be class, no matter if things goes poorly for his team. Hope he keep managing.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

respect, deserve a statue in front of the club. as bad as it gets currently, there has been many exciting arsenal sides under him. Wish all the great former player such as henry, pires, van persie, fabregas would send a video message or visit him to give him a good sent off. as much as wenger out I am, he is the definition of the beautiful football in epl after ferguson. winning europa league is a good way to end the career. 22 years of ups and downs, but it has been a long journey.

legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

Pretty much just agree with everything said above.

He deserves a lot of respect, despite recent underachievement.

I hope he doesn't retire, I think he should try coaching somewhere else outside of the PL.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Undoubtedly the greatest AFC manager! His last few years may have been terrible, but don't let that make you think this guy has been a terrible manager throughout for 1 second. It's emotional, because really it was unexpected.

I was always wondering why is a guy named Arsene, managing Arsenal, if he is owner, or if Arsenal is named after him and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

They were made for each other lol.

trimind 6 years ago
Manchester United, Canada 3 533

Jesus Christ! I know it would come sooner rather than later. Even when I thought it's logical to happen, there is still some lingering feelings inside of me about him.

I have so much respect for Wenger, he's my second favorite manager of all time, personally, after Sir Alex.

He's been a class and the entertaining soccer style is a joy to watch for neutral fans. Especially the magical undefeatable season stood out.

The last few years have not been the best for him and for the club, and I am glad he agrees it's time to step down, not without sad feelings.

One last thing I want to see from Arsenal players and himself is the Europa League Cup. Arsenal MUST fight to WIN it as a parting gift to Arsene Wenger. Winning the cup and allows Arsenal to come back to CL is the best possible gift dedicated to his legacy and the next manager in charge.

It's now or never for Arsenal to win the cup. They got a tough draw against Aletico, but they have the home game to make it happen, and please, Arsenal players, you guys just have to FIGHT for it.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Amir_keal Completely agree.

@trimind Really hope they win against Atletico now. Arsenal player will be motivated at least.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Happy to see Gunners praise legacy of the guy rather than recent results. He changed Arsenal mentality and had a direct impact on PL. Hatts off Arsène.

Aiden_Finland 6 years ago
Real Madrid, Finland 18 1236

Cant think of Arsenal without Wenger he will never be forgotten especially the 2003-04 season where they were known as the invincibles. Next season will be interesting to see where Arsenal are going to finish.