Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Bin Salman buying Manchester United
_Pelle_ 6 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6885

I know this rumour came from The Sun... but what do you think of the Glazers selling the club to the Bin Salman family?

Comments
SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

It came from The Sun, so I don't care to give it any attention.

If it were true however, and happened, then my attention/money/influence in something even as small as broadcasting is helping to prop up some of the worst people and human rights abusers on Earth. I cannot justify that.

I guess I would pay a helluva lot more attention to MLS.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

money talks this days, football is business, as long as the guy is not fake and not end up in debt (like portsmouth)

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Yes, soccer today is a business. And I would prefer to not give my business to a country/group/individual that is responsible for the continuous ruination of the lives of millions of people. Don't get me wrong here, PSG and Man City are disgusting fronts for Qatar and the UAE, but the actions of those countries and influential individuals pale in comparison to those undertaken by the Saudis and more specifically this group.

You can't take issue with the Man City's and PSG's of the world and then ignore it when it happens to your club. I would stop supporting them pretty much instantly, because it's no longer a soccer franchise at that point, it's a front for a (imo) criminal organization.

Ledley 6 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

Guess that would be the final straw for me following Man United in the EPL

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

I'm just hoping it won't happen. I mean, I'm all for football club getting more wealthy but if possible, it would be better if they didn't end up belonging to the kind of people who oppose a lot of valor football actually stand for. :(

Camden91 6 years ago
Chelsea 0 1

Mohammad bin Salman, a man worth around £850bn, is 'interested in United'; If Saudi crown prince was to buy out Glazer family

_Pelle_ 6 years ago

It's not the man himself but his family... Which could include 17 uncles 75 siblings and 162 cousins etc. Those royal families tend to be huge, no jokes.

_Pelle_ 6 years ago

Here's a question though: In all businesses it is really good to attract wealthy investors, except for football clubs... why?

Ledley 6 years ago

Because football clubs are for the people Pelle .. not for the privileged few.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Ledley Indeed, at least, I believe they should be.

_Pelle_ 6 years ago Edited

@Ledley: It's a very good point. But as an argument flawed. If rich investors exclude people from football clubs... why is the vast majority of the professional clubs not owned by the fans/people?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Ledley: It's a very good point. But as an argument flawed. If rich investors exclude people from football club... why is the vast majority of the professional clubs not owned by the fan/people?

Ledley 6 years ago

Owners in the old days used to put more money in than they took out. The vast majority of clubs are not run by the fans because owners are now fattening their pockets with the huge money 💰 owning a club in 2018.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

@sun

Not that i have a dog in the fight and I agree with general profile of new potential owner so I don't support the possibility of take over by him just for the sake of EPL overall. However, one can't help but ask are United fans fine with the fact that Glazers pretty much bought the club on credit card and then put Manchester Uniteds name on that bill, while still paying themselves dividends every month..?

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Marcus

No, they aren't. The Glazers took BILLIONS out of Manchester United. But all they do with it is buy yachts and football teams. As a whole they're very progressive (they hired black coaches in the NFL when no one else was), as well as engaging in philanthropy. They're basically "innocent as you get" rich guys who see Manchester United like an investment. I've got nothing against them as people.

Bin Salman...when his family aren't killing little kids in Yeman they're dismembering journalists who speak out against their regime or torturing and killing women who want equal rights.

This is so far beyond comparable that's it's incredible I even have to say it.

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

If we sell the club and start spending lots of money, then we become city..
If we sack our manager we become Chelsea
If we keep our manager and conform with our performance, we become Arsenal
If we do nothing and keep living of our past glories then we become Liverpool.

"#WeAreUnited
_Pelle_ 6 years ago

@Tuanis: whatever you do, you're doomed 😀

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Tuanis Damn, thats indeed is the definition of being doomed. :U

Ledley 6 years ago

There is a way of owning a club non-for-profit. Barcelona owned by the fans - more than a club. Celtic, the owner foots the bill when club doesnt get UCL revenue etc.

If i remember correctly Liverpool's owners (Fenway) stated that they were to not take money out of the club when they ousted the old American owners while clearing the debt and re-invest any money earnt. I remember how mad they were after the ANdy Caroll deal turned sour they tried to recoup the fee. Then the Premier League got a big TV rights deal.