Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Buffon and his national future
amir_keal 7 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

As you might know, Italy were drawn into a very difficult group alongside Spain. They finished under Spain, which in itself is no problem, seeing the strength of Spain. However, one has to see how Italy has performed in the group.

Before it all begins, Gianluigi Buffon is aiming to expand his already great legacy by becoming the first player in history to have played for six world cups. Currently, Italy has not gotten there yet. They need to win a playoff against one of 7 other second placed teams, so that is certainly achievable.

Let's just say this. This Italy side is probably one of the worst Italy teams in history, perhaps worse than 2010 and 2014. In 2016, they reached the quarter finals of the Euros to sadly lose to Germany in an epic penalty shootout. Even though the players were worse than Belgium and Spain, they still outdone them in the group and the knockout match respectively. The great management skills of Conte, both tactically and man to man allowed that to happen. Many people gave Conte great credit and he got even more credit when lifting the Premier League in his first attempt. He is still highly loved by all Juventus and Italy fans.

Flashforward a year, and all the passion, desire and tactical expression one would expect from an Italian side is gone. Firstly, the game against Spain was a complete tactical flop. 4 4 2 is a very old formation to begin with, and two central midfielders would never work against a team like Spain. Secondly, the players Ventura is choosing. Jorginho for example has been very good for Napoli and surely deserves his chance, but I cannot seem to understand why he is not getting picked.

Even the players that are very good for their clubs. I don't believe that Bonucci plays the same way for Italy as he did for Juventus, and the same for Cheillini. It's like they don't know who they are all of a sudden.

Against Macedonia, I believe it was the players who chose the tactics, which waves the question, why is Ventura even there? A draw to Macedonia is very disappointing, no matter the quality of the Italian side. It also seems that he has lost the trust of his own players, well that might be false but it certainly seems to be the case.

The world cup 2018 already seems weird enough, especially with no Holland and Chile. What are your thoughts on Italy's situation? Will they make it to the world cup?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

As you might know, Italy were drawn into a very difficult group alongside Spain. They finished under Spain, which in itself is no problem, seeing the strength of Spain. However, one has to see how Italy has performed in the group.

Before it all begins, Gianluigi Buffon is aiming to expand his already great legacy by becoming the first player in history to have played for six world cups. Currently, Italy has not gotten there yet. They need to win a playoff against one of 7 other second placed teams, so that is certainly achievable.

Let's just say this. This Italy side is probably one of the worst Italy teams in history, perhaps worse than 2010 and 2014. In 2016, they reached the quarter finals of the Euros to sadly lose to Germany in an epic penalty shootout. Even though the players were worse than Belgium and Spain, they still outdone them in the group and the knockout match respectively. The great management skills of Conte, both tactically and man to man allowed that to happen. Many people gave Conte great credit and he got even more credit when lifting the Premier League in his first attempt. He is still highly loved by all Juventus and Italy fans.

Flashforward a year, and all the passion, desire and tactical expression one would expect from an Italian side is gone. Firstly, the game against Spain was a complete tactical flop. 4 4 2 is a very old formation to begin with, and two central midfielders would never work against a team like Spain. Secondly, the players Ventura is choosing. Jorginho for example has been very good for Napoli and surely deserves his chance, but I cannot seem to understand why he is not getting picked.

Even the players that are very good for their clubs. I don't believe that Bonucci plays the same way for Italy as he does for Juventus, and the same for Cheillini. It's like they don't know who they are all of a sudden.

Against Macedonia, I believe it was the players who chose the tactics, which waves the question, why is Ventura even there? A draw to Macedonia is very disappointing, no matter the quality of the Italian side. It also seems that he has lost the trust of his own players, well that might be false but it certainly seems to be the case.

The world cup 2018 already seems weird enough, especially with no Holland and Chile. What are your thoughts on Italy's situation? Will they make it to the world cup?

Comments
amir_keal 7 years ago

I'm really sorry for the bad description btw lol, but I hope people understand what's basically going on.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

World Cup without Italy wouldn't be complete so I hope they won't have problems but it's not going to be easy even being seeded.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Indeed world cup without Italy would be a disaster. They bring a total different dimension to football.

I hope their tactical choice wont fail them

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

Agree with the rest of everyone, would be an absolute shame if they failed to qualify, normaly, they should be fine if they doesn't decide to suddenly go full stupid, still, anything can happen and I hope they won't too much trouble to qualify. Anyway, they should be in the 4 best seeded team that will play against the 4 weakest one so it should be fine, we'll know exactly which team they might play against in two day. :)

Croatian 7 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Ventura is one of most unqualified managers for job, he is playing system most of his players have never played in, he can't find role for Insigne, he ignores 3atb, he never called up Jorginho...

Italy should fire him. Croatia did it well and had luck on it's side, Italy has better players and any manager with some tactical knowledge and motivation could lead them to World Cup.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Golazo111 + tuan_jinn + Emobot7

2018 world cup already seems weird enough, and all the hype seems to have vanished when the Copa America winners and the 2014 semi finalist failed to make it. I really hope for football's sake that Italy makes it, otherwise people will just continue to question FIFA.

Croatian

Exactly! He scrapped a winning formation, doesn't seem to be big enough to try tactics and even the player lineups are so wrong. Italy FA should fire him even if he messes up the first leg against their opponent and just get Carlo Ancelotti, I'm sure he won't turn down the chance to manage in a world cup.

DChoff 7 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, Italy 2 191

As an Italian it's hard to watch the decline of our national side. However I dont believe this to be down to our players. Buffon is still up there competing with some of the worlds best. We have world class and experienced players such as Bonucci and Chiellini. Our younger players such as Insigne, Immobile, Verratti and Belotti are all extermely promising and have been outstanding for their clubs.

You summed it up perfectly amir_keal when you used the term 'tactical flop'. That is exactly what Ventura is. He is the worst manager in the history of the national team . You are 100% right when you say players like Bonucci and Chiellini dont play the same for Italy and that is all down to the way Ventura sets up the team. I believe that the players have lost all faith in him. Well, the little faith they had in him to begin with. Tactically he hasnt got a clue. That 442 drives me insane. We were made to look stupid in that Spain game. Spain played with 3 Central midfielders and we played with 2. We were already at a disadvantage before we even kicked off. 3 against 2 in midfield against possibly the best passing team in the world! Who sets up a team like that??

The Macedonia game summed everything up. That for me was the most embarrassing result in our nations history. Ventura is a poor coach. In 30 years of management he has not won a single trophy. Why he was given the job is beyond me. We must replace him with Ancelotti as soon as possible or there might not even be a point in going to the world cup.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

As an Italian it's hard to watch the decline of our national side. However I dont believe this to be down to our players. Buffon is still up there competing with some of the worlds best. We have world class and experienced players such as Bonucci. Our younger players such as Insigne, Immobile, Verratti and Belotti are all extermely promising and have been outstanding for their clubs.

You summed it up perfectly amir_keal when you used the term 'tactical flop'. That is exactly what Ventura is. He is the worst manager in the history of the national team . You are 100% right when you say players like Bonucci and Chiellini dont play the same for Italy and that is all down to the way Ventura sets up the team. I believe that the players have lost all faith in him. Well, the little faith they had in him to begin with. Tactically he hasnt got a clue. That 442 drives me insane. We were made to look stupid in that Spain game. Spain played with 3 Central midfielders and we played with 2. We were already at a disadvantage before we even kicked off. 3 against 2 in midfield against possibly the best passing team in the world! Who sets up a team like that??

The Macedonia game summed everything up. That for me was the most embarrassing result in our nations history. Ventura is a poor coach. In 30 years of management he has not won a single trophy. Why he was given the job is beyond me. We must replace him with Ancelotti as soon as possible or there might not even be a point in going to the world cup.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@DCoff Hopefully, the Italian Football Federation realize this as well or it might be difficult to expect anything out of Italy at the moment. :(

DChoff 7 years ago

Unfortunately Emobot7 all they ever seem to do is support Ventura. It's like they are blind to it :/

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

They got Sweden in the playoff.

amir_keal 7 years ago

DChoff

We must replace him with Ancelotti as soon as possible or there might not even be a point in going to the world cup.

I agree, I believe Carlo would get a solid semi final in his first attempt, as long as he avoids Spain, Brazil or Germany and Brazil. It seems that an International stage is worthy for him, since he has achieved so much as a club manager, and he might not be able to manage a day to day management any longer.

Anyways, welcome to FR! I think you will find some interesting topics!

DChoff 7 years ago

amir_keal

Exactly. I think now is the time for Carlo.

Cheers buddy!

amir_keal 6 years ago

All the reasons to be worried have come under effect.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Amir Can't believe I won't get the chance to see Buffon play in world cup. Only time I saw him play for Italy was actually Euro. I'm so sad now. :(

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Well Buffon is World champion and will be remembered like that. Ofc it remains that Champions League title that he doesn't have so maybe all this will make whole Juventus work harder this season.

DChoff 6 years ago

I cant even put into words how devastated I am. I knew this was coming. I said Ventura was a clown and now he's made one massive joke out of us. Seeing Buffons tears monday night was heartbreaking. I can never forgive Ventura for this.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Their tactical choice has failed them... the stone age stubborn tactic... how Insigne wasn't brought in is beyond me...

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Well it's going to be hard to bounce back but hey, France missed the World Cup in 1994 and then won in 1998 so everything is possible.

DChoff 6 years ago

tuan_jinn

Yeah Ventura is from the stone age. We have so many more capable managers than him. He made us look like an old fashioned out of touch team.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@DChoff Stay strong mate, I feel your pain and hope thing will be set right as fast as possible, hopefully, Ventura will be fired ASAP as he deserve and this might serve as a foothold for the Italian FA to change her way and make soem serious improvement. Anyway, I wish all the best to you, all Italian and to Buffon above all else.