Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Buffon and his national future
amir_keal 7 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

As you might know, Italy were drawn into a very difficult group alongside Spain. They finished under Spain, which in itself is no problem, seeing the strength of Spain. However, one has to see how Italy has performed in the group.

Before it all begins, Gianluigi Buffon is aiming to expand his already great legacy by becoming the first player in history to have played for six world cups. Currently, Italy has not gotten there yet. They need to win a playoff against one of 7 other second placed teams, so that is certainly achievable.

Let's just say this. This Italy side is probably one of the worst Italy teams in history, perhaps worse than 2010 and 2014. In 2016, they reached the quarter finals of the Euros to sadly lose to Germany in an epic penalty shootout. Even though the players were worse than Belgium and Spain, they still outdone them in the group and the knockout match respectively. The great management skills of Conte, both tactically and man to man allowed that to happen. Many people gave Conte great credit and he got even more credit when lifting the Premier League in his first attempt. He is still highly loved by all Juventus and Italy fans.

Flashforward a year, and all the passion, desire and tactical expression one would expect from an Italian side is gone. Firstly, the game against Spain was a complete tactical flop. 4 4 2 is a very old formation to begin with, and two central midfielders would never work against a team like Spain. Secondly, the players Ventura is choosing. Jorginho for example has been very good for Napoli and surely deserves his chance, but I cannot seem to understand why he is not getting picked.

Even the players that are very good for their clubs. I don't believe that Bonucci plays the same way for Italy as he did for Juventus, and the same for Cheillini. It's like they don't know who they are all of a sudden.

Against Macedonia, I believe it was the players who chose the tactics, which waves the question, why is Ventura even there? A draw to Macedonia is very disappointing, no matter the quality of the Italian side. It also seems that he has lost the trust of his own players, well that might be false but it certainly seems to be the case.

The world cup 2018 already seems weird enough, especially with no Holland and Chile. What are your thoughts on Italy's situation? Will they make it to the world cup?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

As you might know, Italy were drawn into a very difficult group alongside Spain. They finished under Spain, which in itself is no problem, seeing the strength of Spain. However, one has to see how Italy has performed in the group.

Before it all begins, Gianluigi Buffon is aiming to expand his already great legacy by becoming the first player in history to have played for six world cups. Currently, Italy has not gotten there yet. They need to win a playoff against one of 7 other second placed teams, so that is certainly achievable.

Let's just say this. This Italy side is probably one of the worst Italy teams in history, perhaps worse than 2010 and 2014. In 2016, they reached the quarter finals of the Euros to sadly lose to Germany in an epic penalty shootout. Even though the players were worse than Belgium and Spain, they still outdone them in the group and the knockout match respectively. The great management skills of Conte, both tactically and man to man allowed that to happen. Many people gave Conte great credit and he got even more credit when lifting the Premier League in his first attempt. He is still highly loved by all Juventus and Italy fans.

Flashforward a year, and all the passion, desire and tactical expression one would expect from an Italian side is gone. Firstly, the game against Spain was a complete tactical flop. 4 4 2 is a very old formation to begin with, and two central midfielders would never work against a team like Spain. Secondly, the players Ventura is choosing. Jorginho for example has been very good for Napoli and surely deserves his chance, but I cannot seem to understand why he is not getting picked.

Even the players that are very good for their clubs. I don't believe that Bonucci plays the same way for Italy as he does for Juventus, and the same for Cheillini. It's like they don't know who they are all of a sudden.

Against Macedonia, I believe it was the players who chose the tactics, which waves the question, why is Ventura even there? A draw to Macedonia is very disappointing, no matter the quality of the Italian side. It also seems that he has lost the trust of his own players, well that might be false but it certainly seems to be the case.

The world cup 2018 already seems weird enough, especially with no Holland and Chile. What are your thoughts on Italy's situation? Will they make it to the world cup?

Comments
amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

DChoff + Emobot7

Your wish is my command! I have sacked Ventura!

Although I am also sad about no Chile and mainly no Oranje . It's so sad, honestly. But then I think how can France be pot 2 and Romania pot 1? No offense, but France are tons better.

DChoff 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, Italy 2 191

Aimr_keal + Emobot7

Cheers Guys! Hopefully now we make the right appointment but more importantly we see a change in the way Itialian football is governed. I'd like to see the back of the head of the italian FA Carlo Tavecchio. He is just as much to blame.