Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Bundesliga 2017/18 - analysis and discussion
Croatian 6 years ago Edited
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

enter image description here

Hello guys, how you doing? Today is Friday, came home from work a bit late because there was crash so traffic jam happened. Anyways, putting my problems aside, I decided to write this analysis about current Bundesliga season, since it has been exicting, far better than last season. Also because we don't have much regular Bundesliga watchers on forums (which is really sad), but I hope to make some quality discussion and put insight on what's happening and why is it happening. So let's take a look at table and then we will comment current situation

Bayern Munich is doing fantastic which wasn't so predictable at start of season, Heynckes brought the big change we needed and so far it is working very well - we don't concede much while we also win all our matches (100% win percentage since he came back). Ulreich is possibly biggest improvement, he was really shaky but run of matches made him solid keeper. That same effect came to both Hummels and Boateng who were poor during the start of season, now are back as arguably one of best centerback partnerships. However we are witnessing true transformation of Alaba back to his 2012 form. He is fantastic since Jupp took over, constantly threat on left side and providing actually solid crosses. His partner Kimmich is unbeliveable... I love this guy so much it can't be explained in words. Best rightback in Europe at the moment without much competition. Javi is back where he belongs - CDM and it is only right thing to do. So far so good from him. Robben is still doing very good which was expected from him, on other hand Ribery's injury really may hurt any chance of him being there at Bayern and actually having playtime... meanwhile Coman seems to have replaced him very good, our best player since Jupp took over. Vidal is only notable downgrade ;(

Since people do care about them, Borussia Dortmund is shit. They were never supposed to fire Tuchel, Bosz is good coach but fails miserably with his stubborness. Absurdly high back line is suicide and they got counterattacked a lot of times by average teams or even not-that-fast players. Sad for them because I wanted a bit more competition for Bayern and to test Jupp in big or crucial matches. They have a lot of negatives, and a few of positives, Gotze is back for sure, been one of their best players so far. And Pulisic, absolute gem, ignore cringey Americans and you will see that this guy has potential to be one of best players ever born in North America. His potential is surreal, amongst best in world by his age.

Anyways since I bet most people don't follow Bundesliga, I'll have quick summary of players that were fantastic this season:

Marcel Sabitzer - attacking midfielder or even winger from Leipzig, on level of Forsberg this season, assisted three times and is crucial in their attack.
Jean-Kevin Augustin - famous after that delicious roulette against Porto in UCL, currently doing well in Leipzig. Striker with great finishing and absolutely outrageous ball-control.
Max Meyer - remember him from FIFA13? He was fantastic young attacking midfielder from Schalke, he is still with them but significant role change has happened. Meyer is now, believe it or not, deep-lying playmaker. And you wouldn't think so but he is doing great, aswell as wholed Schalke squad.
Amine Harit - he came to Schalke from Nantes as relatively unknown player but has fantastic start, although he doesn't assist or score much he is always amongst best players on field.
Weston McKennie - third one from Schalke, American who scored on his debut in NT. He plays as CDM but also likes going forward. Strong tackler and fantastic ball control. He is only 19.
Salif Sane - Hannover is suprisingly 5th in Bundesliga and also beated Dortmund 4-2 few weeks ago, and we can thank Sane for it. Actually a defender, he is reason Hannover didn't concede much more.

And of course few more who were good but I am already tired of writing: Vollan, Bailey, Brandt, Havertz (Bayer), Rebic, Haller (Frankfurt), Ascacibar (Stuttgart), Uth (Hoffenheim)...

I wish there was more Bundesliga discussion on forums, hope this will help it atleast a bit. You may also share your questions and I'll do my best with answering them.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

(removed)

Hello guys, how you doing? Today is Friday, came home from work a bit late because there was crash so traffic jam happened. Anyways, putting my problems aside, I decided to write this analysis about current Bundesliga season, since it has been exicting, far better than last season. Also because we don't have much regular Bundesliga watchers on forums (which is really sad), but I hope to make some quality discussion and put insight on what's happening and why is it happening. So let's take a look at table and then we will comment current situation

Bayern Munich is doing fantastic which wasn't so predictable at start of season, Heynckes brought the big change we needed and so far it is working very well - we don't concede much while we also win all our matches (100% win percentage since he came back). Ulreich is possibly biggest improvement, he was really shaky but run of matches made him solid keeper. That same effect came to both Hummels and Boateng who were poor during the start of season, now are back as arguably one of best centerback partnerships. However we are witnessing true transformation of Alaba back to his 2012 form. He is fantastic since Jupp took over, constantly threat on left side and providing actually solid crosses. His partner Kimmich is unbeliveable... I love this guy so much it can't be explained in words. Best rightback in Europe at the moment without much competition. Javi is back where he belongs - CDM and it is only right thing to do. So far so good from him. Robben is still doing very good which was expected from him, on other hand Ribery's injury really may hurt any chance of him being there at Bayern and actually having playtime... meanwhile Coman seems to have replaced him very good, our best player since Jupp took over. Vidal is only notable downgrade ;(

Since people do care about them, Borussia Dortmund is shit. They were never supposed to fire Tuchel, Bosz is good coach but fails miserably with his stubborness. Absurdly high back line is suicide and they got counterattacked a lot of times by average teams or even not-that-fast players. Sad for them because I wanted a bit more competition for Bayern and to test Jupp in big or crucial matches. They have a lot of negatives, and a few of positives, Gotze is back for sure, been one of their best players so far. And Pulisic, absolute gem, ignore cringey Americans and you will see that this guy has potential to be one of best players ever born in North America. His potential is surreal, amongst best in world by his age.

Anyways since I bet most people don't follow Bundesliga, I'll have quick summary of players that were fantastic this season:

Marcel Sabitzer - attacking midfielder or even winger from Leipzig, on level of Forsberg this season, assisted three times and is crucial in their attack.
Jean-Kevin Augustin - famous after that delicious roulette against Porto in UCL, currently doing well in Leipzig. Striker with great finishing and absolutely outrageous ball-control.
Max Meyer - remember him from FIFA13? He was fantastic young attacking midfielder from Schalke, he is still with them but significant role change has happened. Meyer is now, believe it or not, deep-lying playmaker. And you wouldn't think so but he is doing great, aswell as wholed Schalke squad.
Amine Harit - he came to Schalke from Nantes as relatively unknown player but has fantastic start, although he doesn't assist or score much he is always amongst best players on field.
Weston McKennie - third one from Schalke, American who scored on his debut in NT. He plays as CDM but also likes going forward. Strong tackler and fantastic ball control. He is only 19.
Salif Sane - Hannover is suprisingly 5th in Bundesliga and also beated Dortmund 4-2 few weeks ago, and we can thank Sane for it. Actually a defender, he is reason Hannover didn't concede much more.

And of course few more who were good but I am already tired of writing: Vollan, Bailey, Brandt, Havertz (Bayer), Rebic, Haller (Frankfurt), Ascacibar (Stuttgart), Uth (Hoffenheim)...

I wish there was more Bundesliga discussion on forums, hope this will help it atleast a bit. You may also share your questions and I'll do my best with answering them.

(removed)

Comments
Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Emo LOL CL groups: C - Roma, Chelsea, D - Barcelona, Juventus, E - Liverpool, Sevilla, H - Spurs, Real Madrid. The only teams outside of the top 2 of any groups are Napoli and Atletico Madrid, so overall much better compared to Bundesliga teams, after all only Bayern as being super rich is still pushing they are too big to fail as one of the top 3 richest clubs in the world.
Then if you want to say that Premier league is not the best just look at the teams there can be at any moment 3-5 teams capable of winning the league, the best managers come there as well, best stadiums overall, best coverage, that's actually the main reason why Premier league teams didn't make it far in Champions League, because the league is much harder there are no so many easy games.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golazo Well, Roma and Barcelona are certainly performing at their expected if not more (for Roma that is) but Juventus, Real are Sevilla are all underperforming a bit compared to what we should expect of them. Their victory isn't as convincing as it should be and their defeat are sometime by big margin.

As for PL being better in term of stadium and of attracting manager, we all know it is because of money, England is one of the world richest country when it come to football, however, I don't if thats really a good thing for the development of young player. Having so many great player coming all over the world to play for theirs team lead to them not having much freedom to play younger player. There is also the need for a good English manager to rise up, in recent year, no English manager have won the league. On a club level, PL might seem like one of the most competitive league (which I feel it is as well) buts it also hurt their national team. :(

But pherhap I should stop speaking about the PL, after all, this thread is for Bundesliga.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Emo Thx for taking the time talking about stuff at least, I like when people are active.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golazo111 Same, thanks as well for being active and reacting well to certain of my comment, I know I can get harsh at time when trying to moderate but it good to have user who react well to it most of time. Take a load off my mind. Cheer! ;)

Golefty 6 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@Golazo , sorry if i was rude but i found your weak league comment a bit one dimensional, dortmund is in bad form, but as a league i wouldnt say that germany is weak,

Bayern can win CL, no doubt , Jupp did it last time at the helm, i dont want them to win however but it is surely possible, just as dortmund could win europa league, we are out of CL 99.9%, do you think chelsea has a better chance than bayern? they cant even beat roma.... :P

so I see this turning into a which league is the most competitve argurment , and im sure there are dozens of threads dedicated to this exact topic, my stance on this

Then if you want to say that Premier league is not the best just look at the teams there can be at any moment 3-5 teams capable of winning the league,

that is a good argument, but on the other hand a team like leicester can win the league if chelsea,manciy,or manu dont play well which you could take as its a competive league or it is a "weak League" i think it is a bit generous to say liverpool and arsenal have had good run at the league, not since suarez left and becuase wenger stayed put
so maybe its a 3 horse league at best, but i would agree PL is very competitive, if not the most in europe however, and this is the first year in a while tottenham have done well in the group stage, but before we start saying PL is a stronger league in europe then Bundesliga, lets see how the knockout stages go shall we?

When it comes to UCL experience counts, especially in the knockouts

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golefty Kinda hope BVB goes into Europa league and find their form back then. Would be sweet. :) Also, its true that knockout phase are gonna be very interesting and important to judge how every team can perform at their best when its really counting.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Croatian By the way, I meant to ask it but was there any huge flop or serious injury we might not have heard about this season? I know Ribery is out but I haven't really heard if some player lost their form or didn't perform as expected of them. Wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about Leipzig in general as well. :)

Croatian 6 years ago

@Golazo,

So what does that tell you? Inconsistant league, inconsistant teams...if those teams made it in Europe it means they were clearly better than Bayer,Schalke and so on which means that the quality of those other teams was even worse.

It tells me that main teams had worse season and were overrun by smaller and worse teams in the table.

1 super rich club ownes the whole league, no competition. Basically the other poor teams handed you the title already.

And where is problem in that? From league's viewpoint there is obvious problem, but what? Should Bayern just buy from other leagues? It's German team after all.

What did he exactly do that Ancelotti didn't do? If he wins the league that's the default that Ancelotti already did. Other teams being weak is helping Bayern more than anything.

Oh no, not again. He did exactly everything that he had to do, and he did it 20 times better than Ancelotti. If you watched Bundesliga you wouldn't have such conclusions.

@Golefty, Kai is so so underrated. Better than about 95% of English prospects, kid has so much natural talent it is unbeliveable. He was starting at 17, enough said. He and Brandt are doing fantastic so far, I think they can keep it 'til the end of season.

He already scores and assists on regular basis, and has better mentality you would expect from a 18 year old.

@Emo, in general whole Dortmund squad is disappointing but you know that, Freiburg is disaster so far... they are really bad at the moment. I can also say whole Koln, it really is weird how a EL contestant manages to flop so hard this season. Osako, Hector, Bittencourt... all of them are pretty shit at the moment. Werder didn't have strong start so players like Delaney, Junuzovic, even Augustinsson didn't impress me in particular. I will also note that Kramaric didn't really have such a flying start, didn't catch with last season's form but still doing decent. Gnabry didn't do anything notable still though.

About Leipzig. They still use 4222:

----------------------------Mvogo---------------------------
Klostermann-Orban-Upamecano-Halstenberg
-----------------------Keita-Demme---------------------
-------------------Sabitzer-Forsberg-------------------
---------------------Werner-Poulsen--------------------

Gulacsi was replaced by Mvogo who came from Young Boys (Switzerland), their third keeper is Kohn who has great potential imo, should step in first XI if Mvogo gets sold in next years. Their defence is still decent, Orban is captain and his partner is mostly Upamecano who is 18. Compper is still in club, along with Konate who came from Sochaux and isn't playing much because, well, lack of experience. Halstenberg is starter on LB, and Klostermann replaced Bernardo on RB, so Bernardo is currently pretty much first replacement for both fullbacks. Central midfield has destroyer (Demme) and box-to-box (Keita), replacements are Kampl who can play as CAM too, Ilsanker (who is Demme replacement, can play as CB or even RB - although not good there), also young guy named Laimer who came from Salzburg is playing quite a lot. As mentioned before, Forsberg and Sabitzer can be replaced by Kampl and Bruma who is probably looking for more playtime atm. I thought he would play more as even CF or something but Forsberg has been immense. Poulsen and Werner are starting almost all the time but Augustin did pretty well in few weeks with replacing Werner.

They have two fantastic young players who will likely make debuts this season, Abouchabaka - midfielder, mostly CAM or even outside midfielder, amongst best talents in Germany U17. Nicholas Kuhn is part of U17 squad too, striker with fantastic pace. However doesn't even start for young Germans because Arp is quite better (17 year old who scored two goals last month).

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

It tells me that main teams had worse season and were overrun by smaller and worse teams in the table.

In conclusion the league is indeed unstable and weaker as results proved it. Thank you.

Oh no, not again. He did exactly everything that he had to do, and he did it 20 times better than Ancelotti. If you watched Bundesliga you wouldn't have such conclusions.

How 20 times better when he lost mulitple league titles and failed more than Anchelotti? LOL

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Golazo Lets not forget Ancelotti only title win came in a season where Bayern only true rival were a bunch 20 year olds. :P

@Croatian Damn, look like Leipzig could have one of the best team in europe in some years if all of their talent develop well and if they manage to keep them. :O

• History

@Golazo Lets not forget Ancelotti only title win came in a season where Bayern only true rival were a bunch 20 year olds. :P

@Croatian Damn, look like Leipzig could have one of the best team in europe if all of their talent develope what and if they manage to keep them. :O

Croatian 6 years ago

In conclusion the league is indeed unstable and weaker as results proved it. Thank you.

It isn't unstable? It still has money, it still has fans, it still has European spots, it still has constant flow of talents and one of best national teams in world. Just leave the damn thread if you're here only to talk bs.

How 20 times better when he lost mulitple league titles and failed more than Anchelotti? LOL

This should go to hall of fame of dumbest arguments that ever happened on Footyroom. Take your fucking Ancelotti away, he is wasted... 72 year old Heynckes can do better job than him any day of week after being in retirement for years. I don't see reason you hate Heynckes, I don't see reason you defend Ancelotti at all. You're completely biased in this situation and that thread few months ago proved it.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Take your *** Ancelotti away, he is wasted... 72 year old Heynckes can do better job than him any day of week after being in retirement for years. I don't see reason you hate Heynckes, I don't see reason you defend Ancelotti at all. You're completely biased in this situation and that thread few months ago proved it.

And I'm the one that is biased? Maybe you shouldn't open a topic about a league if you're not capable of seeing all the facts about it, not all people are fanboys like you.

Golefty 6 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@golazo hahaha , where are these facts? We are in agreement that some German teams are in bad form....

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Croatian Only reason I could see for Golazo to like Ancelotti is because he managed Chelsea before. And maybe, just maybe he also like him because Robben talked against him and he absolutely resent Robben for what he did against Mexico in 2014 which imo I can understand. Though its propably just because he respect Ancelotti for what he did at so many different club in europe, which really is good work most of the time by the way. However, I do agree he failed to connect with the player at Bayern at thats a shame.

But seriously, could we stop turning every Bundesliga discussion on the forum into a Heynckes vs Ancelotti? Its as boring as a Messi vs Ronaldo discussion. :P

Anyway Croatian, any player in Bundesliga who have the potential to become the target of a huge bid by a big team? Which could make him into a future star player? I know that kind of thinking isn't alway well seen but I do love meself some good star player. :P

@Golefty Thought about BVB performance against Spurs? :(

Golefty 6 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@emobot7 the only thing i have to say is now i have a reason to watch thursday night football :(

amir_keal 6 years ago Edited
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I see anything but bundesliga discussion here. It's all Carlo vs Jupp again.

Golefty

Me too! I never had a reason to watch Thursday football my whole life, but this is the first time I do.

• History

I see anything but discussion here.

I see anything but bundesliga discussion here. It's all Carlo vs Jupp again.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golefty Hopefully, BVB use what left of Dembele sell to buy a world class defender soon. :(

@Croatian Talking about world class defender, I'm kinda worred about Boateng, he's getting less play time because of Sule and Hummels. Hope he won't end up leaving like Benatia. By the way, I feel like Benatia was really under apreciated at Bayern, was he bad or anything? :(

Golefty 6 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

I am just really glad i didnt end up making a thread about Dortmunds chances of winning the Bundesliga

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Even after this round of CL, Bayern only won cause of Tolisso ( Thx Ancelotti lol ), Borussia lost and Leipzig won vs Monaco that sold out this season already...It will be a miracle if any Bundesliga team wins CL.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golazo Lol, lets just hope for your sake it doesn't happen. But seriously, even I have to agree its not going too great for German team at the moment. I just hope those guys find their form back soon. BVB and Bayern especially, I miss seeing those guy dominating.