Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Chelsea sign Borussia Dortmund winger Christian Pulisic for £57.6m
SarriBall 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Italy 8 218

enter image description here

Chelsea have signed Borussia Dortmund wing Christian Pulisic for €64 million (£57.6m).

However, the USA international, whose Dortmund contract would have expired at the end of next season, will not move to Stamford Bridge immediately after the two clubs agreed that the player would remain on loan at Dortmund until the end of the Bundesliga season.

Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said: "It was always Christian's dream to play in the Premier League. That certainly has to do with his American background, and as a result we were unable to extend his contract.

"Against this background, we have decided to accept an extremely lucrative bid by Chelsea, given the low contract maturity.

"Christian Pulisic is a character-perfect player. I am sure that in the coming months he will do everything in his power to bring his high quality to the team and to achieve his sporting goals with his team-mates at Borussia Dortmund."

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Chelsea have signed Borussia Dortmund wing Christian Pulisic for €64 million (£57.6m).

However, the USA international, whose Dortmund contract would have expired at the end of next season, will not move to Stamford Bridge immediately after the two clubs agreed that the player would remain on loan at Dortmund until the end of the Bundesliga season.

Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said: "It was always Christian's dream to play in the Premier League. That certainly has to do with his American background, and as a result we were unable to extend his contract.

"Against this background, we have decided to accept an extremely lucrative bid by Chelsea, given the low contract maturity.

"Christian Pulisic is a character-perfect player. I am sure that in the coming months he will do everything in his power to bring his high quality to the team and to achieve his sporting goals with his team-mates at Borussia Dortmund."

Comments
Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC 157 4232

I hope he proves me wrong but I'm a bit disappointed. We don't even get him til next season.

Unless Eden is off and this is a long term investment given that he's 20, Thorgan Hazard, Fekir or Nicolas Pepe would have been better right now imo,

If Thorgan joins Dortmund soon then I think that they've done the better business, but in Sarri we trust.

• History

I hope he proves me wrong but I'm a bit disappointed. We don't even get him til next season.

Unless Eden is off and this is a long term investment given that he's 20, Thorgan Hazard, Fekir or Nicolas Pepe would have been better right now imo, but in Sarri we trust.

SarriBall 5 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 8 218

He has the pace to break defenses and he has a good vision. With that in mind he is only 20, and this is done for marketing purpose as well. The money might look a lot but not at all, we will get them back in no time.

iHEARTfootball 5 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

...he would have been a fantastic signing for us

trimind 5 years ago
Manchester United, Canada 3 533

Totally agree with Eden17Hazard. It looks like a future investment rather than a solution for Chelsea, and I do hope he proves me wrong, but I think Fekir would be ideal for Chelsea right now (if not then Liverpool will get him!). Thorgan Hazard is more a CAM than anything, but still a quality signing and better option than Pullisic.

Pullisic is still young and like a rough diamond. He should have stayed at Dortmund for 2 or 3 more seasons.

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

This is a good pick up for Chelsea. I was hoping he would stay at Borussia or if nothing else, go to either Man United for my own selfish reasons or Liverpool to reunite with Klopp, but I think he will do well at Chelsea.

He is extremely hard working, loyal, and has some good tools to help the team. While he might not start right away, he will push for a position, making the others work harder. He should also learn from Hazard, whom I respect as a player and person.

Emobot7 5 years ago Edited
538 11432

Wasn't expecting this so soon. Class signing for Chelsea and here hoping as a fellow north americain the move work for both him and Chelsea in the long term. Cheers Chelsea fans! :D

• History

Wasn't expecting this so soon. Class signing for Chelsea and here hoping as a fellow north americain the move work for both him and Chelsea. Cheers Chelsea fans! :D

SunFlash 5 years ago
USA 19 3260

As someone who obviously has a lot invested in Pulisic (being an American) I don't like this at all. If he actually succeeds at Chelsea, great, but Chelsea is not a patient and/or developing club. I would have preferred to see him go literally anywhere else.

That said, he played primarily off the right at Dortmund, and played VERY deep. This to me suggests that he's not designed as a long-term Hazard replacement, since that's been floating around, but instead as a replacement for Willian starting next season. Those are some shoes to fill that I think he actually can, so I'm hoping for the best for him.

Will be weird to be rooting for a Chelsea player...

Golefty 5 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

Yea , Very much agreed @sun, i would have like to see him go to ManU/liverpool where young talent is handled differently but Happy to have him loaned out at BVB for the rest of the season. I wonder how much playing time he actually expects to get at chelsea next year, or if the move to chelsea over other clubs was more lucrative. Dont mean to bash Chelsea here but they have squandered alot of young talents in recent years

Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

@Golefty

We squander young talents who we get for cheap, but whenever we pay big bucks for someone, they get a lot of playing time whether they deserve it or not. It's as if the price tag determines playing time.

We got the likes of De Bruyne and Salah for cheap and they barely played despite their quality, whereas the likes of Bakayoko and now Morata who were really expensive, keep getting playing time even though they don't deserve it.

Golefty 5 years ago Edited
Toronto FC 27 1016

@EdenHazard to be fair Mou could be to blame for KDB and without googling i think he sold Salah to Roma anyways I will be rooting for Pulisic's success, as for the price tag i think it is a great deal for someone who was sitting on our bench most games and is at the end of his contract, Sancho seems to be a much better option and we will have him for 4 years hopefully

• History

@EdenHazard to be fair Mou could be to blame for KDB and without googling i think he sold Salah to Roma anyways I will be rooting for Pulisic's success, as for the price tag i think it is a great deal for someone who was sitting on our bench most games, Sancho seems to be a much better option and we will have him for 4 years hopefully

quikzyyy 5 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

great business by BVB, again!

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

I feel bad for him. Don't think he will make it near the Chelsea first team. If he does congratulations.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Not sure if Chelsea is the right club, he needs a club & a coach that youngsters can be in more games in first team and given more chances.

the_bald_genius 5 years ago
10 1583

expensive, considering how jadon sancho has benched him since. but again investment, I wonder if sarri is trying to make a false 9 system or he is still hoping to sign a proper center forward like icardi.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@baldgenius Actually, Sarri only gave a positive opinion on Pulisic one month ago and he hasn't been involved at all in the negotiation since then, thats what I recently learned. Kinda worrying if you ask me. :(

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Good buisness, if the youngster delivers, Chelsea would win a Huge fan base in the US. Reason why he is overpriced.
Fact that he couldn’t win a starting place at Dortmund is appealing, someone who watch Bundesliga regularly should answer this better than me, I don’t follow them that much.

Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Tiki

It is because Pulisic has no end product. He can dribble past a player or two but then sends in a poor cross or fails to convert a chance. I think it is unlikely that Pulisic will perform well in his first season at Chelsea.

JozeV2 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

@Golefty KDB, Salah etc left because of playing time, when you have someone already better and you are on the semis of UCL against ATL or you already won BPL 1 month before, it means your squad is solid and you can't keep holding back young talented players. Our biggest mistake was to allow other BPL teams to buy them when their development was so huge. We should have made a contract that the teams from England would not be able to buy them only US and a club from another league. We would still probably ended up having to play against them but only in Europe not England.

KDB was having a fantastic season at Wolfsburg and Salah was getting regular minutes at Roma. We could have bought them back despite the price tag but meh we never did that and we paid the price. (Imaginary scenario) Imagine if Barcelona would sell Iniesta and Xavi to another club and RM ended up buying them..Imagine how much history would change.

• History

@Golefty KDB, Salah etc left because of playing time, when you have someone already better and you are on the semis of UCL against ATL or you already won BPL 1 month before, it means your squad is solid and you can't keep holding back young talented players. Our biggest mistake was to allow other BPL teams to buy them when their development was so huge. We should have made a contract that the teams from England would not be able to buy them only US.

KDB was having a fantastic season at Wolfsburg and Salah was getting regular minutes at Roma. We could have bought them back despite the price tag but meh we never did that and we paid the price. (Imaginary scenario) Imagine if Barcelona would sell Iniesta and Xavi to another club and RM ended up buying them..Imagine how much history would change.

Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

@Dyn

Well that was Hazard in recent seasons and under the new system he's scoring and assisting a lot more.

Pulisic is similar in the fact that he tends to play the pass before the assist, but given he's still only 20, I'm sure Sarri can gets a lot more goals + assists out of him.

Golefty 5 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@JozeV2 can a contract actually prevent the future sale of a player to another club in the same league ? i know you can restrict a loaned out player from playing against their own club but ive never heard of that....