Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

England at the World Cup 2018
Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

So unlike the previous years it looks like most people are sceptical about England's hopes of reaching far in the World Cup...I think that it's a very solid team though.

group

It does look like England could pass the group stage, but then again even Costa Rica could put up a fight against England in the past.

The squad is really balanced, attack is strong with Vardy and Kane having 25+ goals per season there is also Rashford and Sterling all good talents.
Midfield that can back them up is also pretty good maybe not as good as some other countries have but Wilshare,Hendersen,Alli,Chanberlain,Dier are solid.
The defense is maybe the weakest part of the team but it's not that bad at all, Walker, Stones are part of the best defense in the league...

How far can England go?

enter image description here

Comments
Lodatz 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Did you watch, Sun?

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago Edited
Manchester United 38 1000

Liar.

Thought you left already

Back to the topic, England played well despite the results. Again, some of the finishing has to be further polished from some of the lads (Lingard, cough), but the England laid a surprisingly fitting composure as a squad throughout the match. I'd like to emphasize again how important Rashford is to the squad, he had a greater impact than Sterling. But this is the first match, so it's still early days.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Liar.

Thought you left already

Liar.

Thought you left already

Back to the topic, England played well despite the results. Again, some of the finishing has to be further polished from some of the lads (Lingard, cough), but the England laid a surprisingly fitting composure as a squad throughout the match. I'd like to emphasize again how important Rashford is to the squad, he had a greater impact than Sterling.

Lodatz 6 years ago

I'd like to emphasize again how important Rashford is to the squad, he had a greater impact than Sterling.

I agree, and I think part of it was that Rashford was more direct. One of the things that has always been a doubt for me in Sterling's play is his confidence in trying to take on defenders. At City he is aided by Guardiola's latest dream-team of intricate passers, which has brought out the best in him, but England are not as technical an XI as that, and maybe need something more explosive.

Rahsford brings that, along with a fearless edge.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago

I agree, and I think part of it was that Rashford was more direct. One of the things that has always been a doubt for me in Sterling's play is his confidence in trying to take on defenders. At City he is aided by Guardiola's latest dream-team of intricate passers, which has brought out the best in him, but England are not as technical an XI as that, and maybe need something more explosive.

Rahsford brings that, along with a fearless edge.

The fearless edge you mentioned is something I (personally) deem a real asset to any player. Rashford's mindset is always about going forward, which is why I value him so highly as a United player. It's something you have or you don't imo. Sterling can be great too, there were several circumstances when he carried his team alone through clever passes and penetrative runs. Both are great, and I hope to see a more positive display overall from England in this campaign.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

speaking about sterling, he can't afford to miss chances/ like that tap-ins in wc, this is not man city where forward players receives an average of 10 or more chances in a game.

DChoff 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, Italy 2 191

I thought Trippier was excellent last night! Up and down the wing non stop. His deliveries were fantastic all game from that wide area. Young on the other hand I think needs to be swapped for a naturally left footed player. He kept having to cut back into his right foot which killed the momentum of the attack.

Lodatz 6 years ago

@DChoff:
I nominate Danny Rose.

legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

@Lodatz
I agree, he should start over Young against Panama.

Also, do you agree that Loftus Cheek should start over Lingard?

Lodatz 6 years ago

@legends16:
I'm not sure, to be honest. I like Lingard, even though he had a poor game in terms of finishing. Between himself and Alli, though, there were lots of chances created, so maybe on another day he'd have scored a couple?

Loftus-Cheek certainly helped change the momentum though when he came on, so, maybe he does deserve the shot. Honestly, I'm not sure enough either way that I'm going to just trust that Southgate is selecting for good reasons.

DChoff 6 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, Italy 2 191

Yeah Rose must play ahead of Young.

legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

@Lodatz

That's fair - England did have a fantastic first half offensively.

I'd maybe bring him on earlier, maybe even after 60 mins because he certainly helped reinvigorate the team. The chance he created where he pulled it back to Rashford who dummied and then Lingard fluffed was brilliant play and should really have given us the goal we needed then.

iHEARTfootball 6 years ago

I beg to differ, Young needs to start against Panama, it's the only way for him to get some confidence (and mainly because I have him as my full back in fantasy team).

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

England was good, bit unlucky with finishing, it could have been 3-0 or 4-0, also have to consider England deserved penalty/ies. Don't see why did Walker do that foul in box, it was beyond stupid.

Maguire was very impressive but Kane showed true captain mentality in biggest moments. England will only improve with future tournaments.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

@croatian, it shows that kyle walker is not a centre back and hopefully he will play in wingback instead. it's not like there is a particularly fast striker/ winger to be aware of/man-marked.

legends16 6 years ago
Chelsea, England 39 783

I agree @the_bald_genius
Also worth taking into consideration though that it was a soft foul and Tunsia were guilty of far worse
Very inconsistent from the ref

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

But seriously, is it me or Southgate manage to make all of those guy enjoy playing together despite them being rival in club football. I dunno, its really remind you of a bunch of youngster who all play in the same academy. I mean, its ain't perfect yet but they certainly feel more like a team than in Euro 2016. What you guys think?

And yeah, Walker should not play as CB, thats ridiculous. The guys has a tendency to make mistake in the box for some reason.

legends16 6 years ago Edited
Chelsea, England 39 783

Agree 100 % emo. Getting the team to gel has always been hard for England, mostly because as you say all the players all play in england, for rival clubs. Southgate seems to have managed to overcome this. He has done a great job with the team so far

• History

Agree 100 % emo. Getting the team to gel has always been hard for England, partly because all the players all play in england, for rival clubs. Southgate seems to have managed to overcome this. He has done a great job with the team so far

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Loftus Cheek And Rushford brough England back into game. Otherwise Tunisia was doing fine and could have even squeezed a goal.

tiki10taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 0 82

Lodatz you are just trying hard to win an argument you cant win, because no matter what reality smashes you back...

From what i have seen from Tunisia game, England are quarter finals contenders only due to an easy draw. they conceded another ridiculous PK, that has nothing with rival diving, they just lack flair and intelligence in dealing with these kind of situations...

Now try to make your usual 2 cents, wont change the display of English nation, nor the score...

Lodatz 6 years ago Edited

@tiki:

Lodatz you are just trying hard to win an argument you cant win, because no matter what reality smashes you back...

Like what, though?

From what i have seen from Tunisia game, England are quarter finals contenders only due to an easy draw.

What about this game gave you that impression? After all, their only shot on target was the soft penalty we coughed up. Aside from that we created multiple chances, especially in the first half, from diagonal play and quick passing. We looked pretty good, although it's hard to look good against a parked bus, as some other teams have already found out this tournament.

they just lack flair and intelligence in dealing with these kind of situations...

It doesn't take much flair and intelligence to run into Kyle Walker's arm, and fall over. I don't know why you keep linking diving with flair. Diving is lying to the ref, not tricking your opponent.

Meanwhile, of course, England didn't get two MUCH stronger penalty calls at the other end. I can fetch the footage of Kane being wrestled to the ground twice, if you'd like? How much did flair and intelligence did it take to wrestle Kane to the ground?

Now try to make your usual 2 cents,

I will indeed question your vague statements about my national team, based upon a game you didn't watch, if they don't match up with the reality of what actually happened in that game, yes.

wont change the display of English nation, nor the score...

Nor will your attempts to denigrate them. They played a good game, and got a deserved 3 points. Just like France vs Australia, although we dominated our opponents to a greater degree.

Maybe France are just QF contenders because they got an easy group?

• History

@tiki:

Like what, though?

From what i have seen from Tunisia game, England are quarter finals contenders only due to an easy draw.

What about this game gave you that impression? After all, their only shot on target was the soft penalty we coughed up. Aside from that we created multiple chances, especially in the first half, from diagonal play and quick passing. We looked pretty good, although it's hard to look good against a parked bus, as some other teams have already found out this tournament.

they just lack flair and intelligence in dealing with these kind of situations...

It doesn't take much flair and intelligence to run into Kyle Walker's arm, and fall over. I don't know why you keep linking diving with flair. Diving is lying to the ref, not tricking your opponent.

Meanwhile, of course, England didn't get two MUCH stronger penalty calls at the other end. I can fetch the footage of Kane being wrestled to the ground twice, if you'd like? How much did flair and intelligence did it take to wrestle Kane to the ground?

I will indeed question your vague statements about a game you didn't watch, if they don't match up with the reality of what actually happened in that game, yes.

Nor will your attempts to denigrate them. They played a good game, and got a deserved 3 points.

@tiki:

Like what, though?

I will indeed question your vague statements about a game you didn't watch, if they don't match up with the reality of what actually happened in that game, yes.

Nor will your attempts to denigrate them. They played a good game, and got a deserved 3 points. Just like France vs Australia, although we dominated our opponents to a greater degree.

Maybe France are just QF contenders because they got an easy group?