Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Football stats
_Pelle_ 6 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6885

So much is nowadays stats in football... so I've been thinking about some things:

Which stat do you think is the most "useless"?
Which stat do you think should be added?
Is there any aspect of the game that is not seen in the existing stats?

Comments
tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Good questions.

Can't come up with something right away but I have them always in the far back of my head.

• Some stats that can depict the impact of holding mid-field or architect
  • Same goes to defenders beside interception.

Some model to project the equivalent to scoring or assisting.

_Pelle_ 6 years ago

One thing that can not be seen in regular stats is the intelligence behind different runs. For example a forward taking a run that opens up a scoring chance for a teammate. Or like when a defensive midfielder runs in such a way to cut off passing angles for opponents.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

Great idea, but yeah, its kinda hard to think of anything on the go like that. Run that create a chance for teammate should definetly count as something though.

Tuanis 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

I think a very useful stat is one of "clear chances missed" But that can be very subjective as to what can be defined as a clear chance.

We should stop looking at stats individually but more into them collectively. A player can have 90% passing accuracy but he might be playing all of the passes sideways or to a very short distance.

Another somewhat useless stat is the total touches of the ball. Why would that even matter if each time a player gets the ball there are a ton of different outcomes?

This is not the best sport to look to much into stats, it's not baseball or basketball and player's performance goes beyond what the stats say. On top of it all, having so many different positions and roles, players are judged differently on the field and stats can't justify a bad or top performance.

A new interesting stat would be chances missed/goals scored. This would only rectify the fact that the players that score the most goals are the ones who miss more clear chances.
.. Honestly, any stats that helps me prove how shitty Lukaku has been so far would be great.
don't even get me started on Alexis and the amount of possessions lost.. sigh...

_Pelle_ 6 years ago

@Tuanis makes some good points... Another problem with stats is that they are heavily relied on when it comes to chosing the ballon dor winner. The "invisible" hard working players, and goalkeepers, are therefore often neglected.

The likes of Buffon, Makelele, Kante, Puyol, Scholes, Maldini, etc. are players that are recognized as great players but seldom collect silverware on an individual level. Their greatness is not translated onto the stats like for example a goalscorers.

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

I'd rather see touches tbh, sometimes I feel a player is ghosting but then I noticed he has had many touches. Other than that, fully agreed with Tuanis. +1

Eden17Hazard17 6 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

It's hard to fit everything into stats but the whoscored.com player ratings after every game are generally quite accurate and indicative of all the little things that don't go on the stat sheet, as I'm guessing a lot goes into the formula to give the ratings.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Eden17 Thats true, I do love whoscored.com as well, it such a great site.

PS: I'm not paid to say this, I swear. :P

Eden17Hazard17 6 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

@Emobot

Yeah, its true. WhoScored brings you live scores, match results and player ratings from the top football leagues and competitions. Their live, in-depth football statistics from the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, Russian Premier League, Brasileirão, MLS, Super Lig and Championship supplies unique and original insights for football fans, sports betting punters, journalists, football managers and players.

😂😂😂

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Eden17 You get me bro. ;)