Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Has Coutinho flopped at Barcelona?
Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

Title said it all, do you think Phil Coutinho is a flop for Barcelona? I believe its a good question, especially considering the amount he was brought for. I might be a bit more critical because of the recent classico but from what I seen, he hasn't done enough yet to confirm he was worth it. Thought?

Comments
Eden17Hazard17 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC 157 4232

I don't think Coutinho is a flop necessarily, but the expectations and demands by fans/media for new expensive players at Barca/Real are so extremely high, it's fair to say he hasn't met those expectations.

Same with Bale. His numbers at Real are the best of his career, and he's helped them win many trophies, but always gets thrown under the bus.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I don't think Coutinho is a flop necessarily, but the expectations and demands by fans/media for new expensive players at Barca/Real are so extremely high, it's fair to say he has met those expectations.

Same with Bale. His numbers at Real are the best of his career, and he's helped them win many trophies, but always gets thrown under the bus.

DarthFooty 5 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1098

I don't consider him a flop, but I do think Barca paid too much. This is on the back of ALL Players are paid too much though. haha

He has shown up in some games and not in others. Factor in, he is a more marked man now that teams have seen what he does. Film is studied and plans are set to counter players, tactics, strategies, so you have to expect some matches that don't shine as bright as others.

I think it his lack of consistency right now that some might consider as a flop, but he is a quality player none the less.

Dynastian98 5 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Let's not compare Bale to Coutinho here. Bale has had many opportunities at Madrid, but is incredibly inconsistent. There is a reason why Zizou preferred to start ASENSIO and Isco in important games ahead of Bale. He frequently spent games just loitering on the wing and missing chances, although he's cleaned that up this season. He had only one great season: 2013/14 when he was healthy and productive. In all other years, he was either unhealthy, unproductive, or most commonly, both.

Bale is also very isolated from the team because he (apparently) still doesn't feel comfortable speaking Spanish, and even failed to attend the recent team meeting/dinner held by Ramos where the entire squad was invited to discuss their struggles this season. A player who doesn't have the respect for the team to join team meetings at night because he wants to sleep by 11.... that's not a player who has respect for the club. Bale has never had his heart in Madrid, and it shows in his performances.

I appreciate Gareth for his 2018 final performance and his 2013/14 season, but everything in between has just been occasional highs and frequent lows. Not to mention that he almost single-handedly lost us the league and the CL in 2014/15 with his horrific finishing and build-up play.

About Countinho, I'm not sure he fits into the lineup of Barcelona. He can't play CM, and he's not going to be a winger when Dembele is healthy. I don't think it's really that he's underperforming much, he's just a poor fit into Barcelona. Barca's best lineup is easily Arthur-Sergio-Rakitic, and then Leo-Suarez-Dembele. There's just no room for an attacking midfielder in their lineup. Coutinho either needs to learn the patience of a CM (which I'm sure is very difficult to do as a natural AM), or outperform Dembele as a winger (unlikely as Dembele raw talent is higher and Coutinho would once again be playing out of position).

Once again, Barcelona's board makes the most questionable decisions with regard to their transfer policy. Should have never bought Coutinho in the first place. Let him throw his tantrums in Liverpool lol.

• History

Let's not compare Bale to Coutinho here. Bale has had many opportunities at Madrid, but is incredibly inconsistent. There is a reason why Zizou preferred to start ASENSIO and Isco in important games ahead of Bale. He frequently spent games just loitering on the wing and missing chances, although he's cleaned that up this season. He had only one great season: 2013/14 when he was healthy and productive. In all other years, he was either unhealthy, unproductive, or most commonly, both.

Bale is also very isolated from the team because he (apparently) still doesn't feel comfortable speaking Spanish, and even failed to attend the recent team meeting/dinner held by Ramos where the entire squad was invited to discuss their struggles this season. A player who doesn't have the respect for the team to join team meetings at night because he wants to sleep by 11.... that's not a player who has respect for the club. Bale has never had his heart in Madrid, and it shows in his performances.

I appreciate Gareth for his 2018 final performance and his 2013/14 season, but everything in between has just been occasional highs and frequent lows. Not to mention that he almost single-handedly lost us the league and the CL in 2014/15 with his horrific finishing and build-up play.

About Countinho, I'm not sure he fits into the lineup of Barcelona. He can't play CM, and he's not going to be a winger when Dembele is healthy. I don't think it's really that he's underperforming much, he's just a poor fit into Barcelona. Barca's best lineup is easily Arthur-Sergio-Rakitic, and then Leo-Suarez-Dembele. There's just no room for an attacking midfielder in their lineup. Coutinho either needs to learn the patience of a CM (which I'm sure is very difficult to do as a natural AM), or outperform Dembele as a winger (unlikely as Dembele raw talent is higher and Coutinho would once again be playing out of position).

Once again, Barcelona's board makes the most questionable decisions with regard to their transfer policy.

Ledley 5 years ago
Celtic, Australia 46 1310

I don't think Coutinho is a flop necessarily, but the expectations and demands by fans/media for new expensive players at Barca/Real are so extremely high, it's fair to say he hasn't met those expectations.

Yeah what is the standard, pass the ball to Luis Suarez ? or score more than Luis Suarez.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

I remembered why I loved you Dyn even though you call me clueless sometime, excellent analysis mate. +1

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

He had a technical edge in PL, in la liga everyone is technical. And he can’t use his signature shot due to lack of space, spanish defenders do not throw themselves and do not give 2 meters so you can shoot from distance comfortably. He should reinvent his football and adapt to the club and Spanish style. Barca are still patient with him tho.

the_bald_genius 5 years ago Edited
10 1583

agree with dynastian his position is pretty much like isco, "not here or there". but guy is definitely a dribbler that can be a great competitor to dembele, to raise the standard of performance. speaking of which, what about malcom? another guy that is great but he is just a copa player.

• History

agree with dynastian his position is pretty much like isco, "not here or there". but guy is definitely a dribbler that can be a great competitor to dembele, to raise the standard of performance. speaking of which, what about malcom? guy is great but he is just a copa player.

srk_rox 5 years ago
Liverpool 5 542

I have watched him closely for 5 years or so when he was at Liverpool.. it was almost like whenever I watched him, he delivered something beautiful. Okay no more praising.. back to being objective.

I personally observed that whenever he played the playmaker role, either the deep lying or the attacking, Liverpool could get the best out of him..

When the ball gets to him, two or three players get attracted to him. Then, he either does that pass-and-run or finds runners in the flanks or dribbles as if there is no one there. To top it up, he will make these look effortless.

Now when you put him in other positions or roles, he will still do the same and it might look silly and foolish, because that(what I described above) is all he knows.

I don't follow Barca games.. So, I don't know much. But, I can sense few things from what you guys write.It looks like Messi is given the role of what Coutinho actually excels at. I am also afraid if Coutinho gets those regular starts in the games. It is more to do with players around him who should understand his play, not the other way around. He does what he does best. Ask him to do anything else, he won't. Probably, I made him look so bad.

Overall, it is at the hands of the manager to get the best out of the players and do what benefits the team. Coutinho is a proven world class player. There is a reason why Barca went for Coutinho but not Eriksen or Bernardo or Gundogan. It's just time, you will see him flourish and do wonders at Barca. I can't think of any other Liverpool player of late, who made me jump out of my seat as Coutinho did

srk_rox 5 years ago Edited
Liverpool 5 542

I could sense negativity about Coutinho everywhere in the social media. I can't understand the reason. To begin with, he is a great individual player. He could be a great team player if used effectively.

I think the manhunting of players, when the team loses has to stop. If a team loses, all the players and the manager has to be blamed. The same applies for the wins.

• History

I could sense negativity in all the answers. I can't understand the reason. To begin with, he is a great individual player. He could be a great team player if used effectively.

I think the manhunting of players, when the team loses has to stop. If a team loses, all the players and the manager has to be blamed. The same applies for the wins.

Lodatz 5 years ago Edited
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

Let's not compare Bale to Coutinho here. Bale has had many opportunities at Madrid, but is incredibly inconsistent. There is a reason why Zizou preferred to start ASENSIO and Isco in important games ahead of Bale.

Oh really? Marco Asensio has played in 120 games for Madrid, and scored 26 times. Gareth Bale has played in 218 games and scored 100. You do the math.

He frequently spent games just loitering on the wing and missing chances, although he's cleaned that up this season.

What, like, scoring a goal every 0.46 games? Find me a list of players with better. I bet it's short.

He had only one great season: 2013/14 when he was healthy and productive. In all other years, he was either unhealthy, unproductive, or most commonly, both.

Again: 100 goals in 218 appearances. Not everyone is Ronaldo.

. A player who doesn't have the respect for the team to join team meetings at night because he wants to sleep by 11.... that's not a player who has respect for the club.

Or a dedicated athlete who wants to get a good night's sleep so as to be fit and ready for training in the morning. You're basically just parroting the sort of thing Marca tell you to shape your reception of Real's transfer policy.

Bale has never had his heart in Madrid, and it shows in his performances.

I'd say it's closer to the truth to say that Madrid never really treated Bale like one of their own, and many Madrid fans were always biased against him because he came from the Premier League. They also thought that Modric was a flop, until someone had the bright idea of playing him in his proper position, so maybe we shouldn't put too much stock in what 'Madrid fans' on the internet have to say about Bale's performances for Los Blancos.

I appreciate Gareth for his 2018 final performance and his 2013/14 season, but everything in between has just been occasional highs and frequent lows.

In addition to those 100 goals, he also racked up 49 assists, over those 218 games. That's 149 g/a, doing all of this from the wing. Asensio has never assisted more than 6 in a season wearing Madrid white.

The ingratitude here is astounding, but plastic is as plastic does, I suppose.

Not to mention that he almost single-handedly lost us the league and the CL in 2014/15 with his horrific finishing and build-up play.

Yeah his 13 goals and 9 assists in the league that year must have been a real let down for you. Thank goodness he scored the winning goals in the 2014 and 2018 Champions League, played the entirety of the 2016 one, and relieved Benzema in the 2017, though eh?

• History

Let's not compare Bale to Coutinho here. Bale has had many opportunities at Madrid, but is incredibly inconsistent. There is a reason why Zizou preferred to start ASENSIO and Isco in important games ahead of Bale.

Oh really? Marco Asensio has played in 120 games for Madrid, and scored 26 times. Gareth Bale has played in 218 games and scored 100. You do the math.

He frequently spent games just loitering on the wing and missing chances, although he's cleaned that up this season.

What, like, scoring a goal in 46% of his games? Find me a list of players with better. I bet it's short.

He had only one great season: 2013/14 when he was healthy and productive. In all other years, he was either unhealthy, unproductive, or most commonly, both.

. A player who doesn't have the respect for the team to join team meetings at night because he wants to sleep by 11.... that's not a player who has respect for the club.

Or a dedicated athlete who wants to get a good night's sleep so as to be fit and ready for training in the morning. You're basically just parroting the sort of thing Marca tell you to shape your reception of Real's transfer policy.

I appreciate Gareth for his 2018 final performance and his 2013/14 season, but everything in between has just been occasional highs and frequent lows.

In addition to those 100 goals, he also racked up 49 assists, over those 218 games. That's 149 g/a, doing all of this from the wing. Asensio has never assisted more than 6 in a season wearing Madrid white.

The ingratitude here is astounding.

Not to mention that he almost single-handedly lost us the league and the CL in 2014/15 with his horrific finishing and build-up play.

Yeah his 13 goals and 9 assists in the league that year must have been a real let down for you. Thank goodness he scored the winning goals in the 2014 and 2018 Champions League, played the entirety of the 2016 one, and relieved Benzema in the 2017, though eh?

What, like, scoring a goal in 46% of his games? Find me a list of players with better. I bet it's short.

I'd say it's closer to the truth to say that Madrid never really treated Bale like one of their own, and many Madrid fans were always biased against him because he came from the Premier League. They also thought that Modric was a flop, until someone had the bright idea of playing him in his proper position, so maybe we shouldn't put too much stock in what 'Madrid fans' on the internet have to say about Bale's performances for Los Blancos.

The ingratitude here is astounding.

The ingratitude here is astounding, but plastic is as plastic does, I suppose.

Lodatz 5 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

@Eden:

Same with Bale. His numbers at Real are the best of his career, and he's helped them win many trophies,

Well naturally. He had a greater technical edge after he moved to La Liga.

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Yea Dynastian you being a bit too harsh on Bale and ungrateful I will say too. Ramos's job as a leader is to make sure everyone fits in the club, and player of Bales magnitude skipping dinners shows lack of leadership on his side. I don't think Ronaldo used to join his dinners much, because Bale just like his idol Ronaldo tries to work hard and improve himself instead of chit chatting about during a dinner. They should be up early talking about performance on the field or stay extra time after the practice.

On Coutiniho:

Why write him off so early? I don't think he is being used correctly in Barcelona and excuse that the league is technical, just lazy argument. In Liverpool team was build around Countinho, now he has to adapt to his new position. I think he needs more control in the midfield by giving him his preferred position but then Barcelona has too much quality to shift things around just for Countinho. It is a dilemma for manager, but send Coutinho to any other La liga team where he will be given the freedom and position, then he will thrive again. I think he is unhappy right now in the team. Spending so much money on such a caliber player seems like impulse buy by Barcelona. They could have waited a year until they have some more room for him in the team or just not buy him at all.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

At Barca, you don’t wait for others to make room for you, you take the place for yourself. Dembele did, Coutinho is having a hard time but he did well in some games. Looks like he lost some confidence but teammates help him. He won’t score screamers as many as he used to because la liga defenders don’t throw themselves that’s a fact look at Bale and Suarez. In PL you have more space than in la liga, the intensity is higher but PL is paradise for technical players due to defenders type of players...

srk_rox 5 years ago Edited
Liverpool 5 542

Now, let's get this straight. 'Football in La Liga is more technical than anywhere else, and the league as a whole consists of teams that have great technical players and play technical football'.
We have to dispassionately deconstruct the arguments that come our way.
Who says these words? :- none other than Real Madrid and Barca fans. No one else in the world believes in these ideas.
What are their motives? :- they want to make themselves feel better than any other football fans in the world..

Being technical, is too much in the good side of the things to say, at the least. Ask them of their opinion about other leagues and we can instantly confirm their condescending ideas and beliefs about other leagues.

England:- "what they play all is counter-attacking football. "
Italy :-. "Defensive football. Can't bang a team for fun"
France:- "is there a league in France".

I still want to emphasize that being technical is all the teams in the world strive to improve day by day.. if we look at the Spanish teams performing in European tournaments, we couldn't sense any technicalities.

Football is all about creating spaces and passing. It has always been and it would always be the same.

When I see La Liga games, the small teams give up around 70 minutes mark, when they play bigger teams.
That is never the case with EPL. If you look at the Bigger picture, it is the wages that is driving the players to perform. And also the onus of securing the top tier football..

Finally, my point is that football is football everywhere. There is nothing to compare among the leagues. A player will thrive in almost all the leagues .

• History

Now, let's get this straight. 'Football in La Liga is more technical than anywhere else, and the league as a whole consists of teams that have great technical players and play technical football'.
We have to dispassionately tear apart the arguments that come our way.
Who says these words? :- none other than Real Madrid and Barca fans. No one else in the world believes in these ideas.
What are their motives? :- they want to make themselves feel better than any other football fans in the world..

Being technical, is too much in the good side of the things to say, at the least. Ask them of their opinion about other leagues and we can instantly confirm their condescending ideas and beliefs about other leagues.

I still want to emphasize that being technical is all the teams in the world strive to improve day by day.. if we look at the Spanish teams performing in European tournaments, we couldn't sense any technicalities.

Football is all about creating spaces and passing. It has always been and it would always be the same.

When I see La Liga games, the small teams give up around 70 minutes mark, when they play bigger teams.
That is never the case with EPL. If you look at the Bigger picture, it is the wages that is driving the players to perform. And also the onus of securing the top tier football..

We have to dispassionately deconstruct the arguments that come our way.

_Pelle_ 5 years ago
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6884

I often see him play as a part of a top-3 attack. I’m not sure if that is his best position.
Barca are heavily Messi dependent and build often their attacks and strategies around him (which is understandable). And I think it somewhat makes a player like Coutinho superfluous. He should play more on an Iniesta role, but is instead having a starting postion that is higher up on the pitch than whats best for him and the team.
Barca should play Dembele more (when healthy) and bring Coutinho further down the pitch. For this however I think Barca needs some kind of Kante-ish DMC.

I don’t think Coutinho is a fail at Barca, although overpaid. I think he hasn’t reached his full potential because of the strategies Barca use plus the players they have at their disposal for the day.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

@srkrox that claims are mostly PL fans and English magazines who pretend having the best players for ages and style. Until they saw their CL results on decline, and still present for the most blinded of them.

If you can’t handle intencity, you can’t succeed in PL. if you aren’t technically gifted, you can’t start even for Eibar. And it has nothing to do with ignorance most of other leagues fans watch PL and top 5 leagues in general.
PL fans discovered that other countries play football the moment they lost consecutively to other leagues so it’s the opposite if you ask me.

Ligue 1 are the first feeder for EPL, Lyon MOnaco and PSG constantly get results vs PL big clubs and yet till now only PL fans of the forum give French Football credit, go on highlights and see the difference...

Coutinho does not have pace, got great vision and passing but his dribbling abilities are limited in la liga, he cuts in the right to make a room for his signature shoot, it isn’t working every defender is waiting for him.

So unless he reinvents his football, Barca are listening to PL offers and more precisely Chelsea who will have 200 mil available this summer.

Marcus2011 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

This thread is about Countinho @tiki. I know it is hard for you to swallow the fact that EPL's bottom team makes more money than any next team after Real and Barcelona... but fact is that your "technical" league doesn't attract football fans. It sucks. I have you know that EPL has been transitioning into very technical side with physicality thus making it even more attractive, fun and unpredictable football to watch. Our record in CL will be better when we stop selling our best players to La Liga.

People only tune to La Liga to watch Barcelona and Real. I my self haven't watched full El Classico since Mourinho and Pep left because it became DULL without the passion, but i am sure people still tune in after all two huge clubs are playing with big players. Also, many EPL player that went to La Liga did more than just fine and actually always are main reasons why you win CL's. So chill Don Quixote your "La Liga is better" campaigns on footyroom doesn't change the facts in the real world.

Now about Countinho, I blame it on Barcelona current management because they quickly found space for Suarez to fit into the team, but apparently can't do the same for Countinho. Makes me think again it was impulse buy and waste of money, and young players career if he doesn't succeed there.

Dembele is playing where he plays best.

• History

This thread is about Countinho @tiki. I know it is hard for you to swallow the fact that EPL's bottom team makes more money than any next team after Real and Barcelona... but fact is that your "technical" league doesn't attract football fans. It sucks. I have you know that EPL has been transitioning into very technical side with physicality still present thus making it attractive, fun and unpredictable football to watch. People only tune to La Liga to watch Barcelona and Real. I my self haven't watched full El Classico since Mourinho and Pep left because it became DULL without the passion, but i am sure people still tune in after all two huge clubs are playing with big players. Also, many EPL player that went to La Liga did more than just fine and actually always are main reasons why you win CL's. So chill Don Quixote your La Liga is better campaigns on footyroom doesn't change the facts in the real world.

I blame it on Barcelona because they quickly found space for Suarez to fit into the team, but apparently can't do the same for Countinho. Makes me think again it was impulse buy and waste of money, and young players career if he doesn't succeed there.

This thread is about Countinho @tiki. I know it is hard for you to swallow the fact that EPL's bottom team makes more money than any next team after Real and Barcelona... but fact is that your "technical" league doesn't attract football fans. It sucks. I have you know that EPL has been transitioning into very technical side with physicality thus making it even more attractive, fun and unpredictable football to watch. Our record in CL will be better when we stop selling our best players to La Liga.

People only tune to La Liga to watch Barcelona and Real. I my self haven't watched full El Classico since Mourinho and Pep left because it became DULL without the passion, but i am sure people still tune in after all two huge clubs are playing with big players. Also, many EPL player that went to La Liga did more than just fine and actually always are main reasons why you win CL's. So chill Don Quixote your La Liga is better campaigns on footyroom doesn't change the facts in the real world.

I blame it on Barcelona because they quickly found space for Suarez to fit into the team, but apparently can't do the same for Countinho. Makes me think again it was impulse buy and waste of money, and young players career if he doesn't succeed there.

People only tune to La Liga to watch Barcelona and Real. I my self haven't watched full El Classico since Mourinho and Pep left because it became DULL without the passion, but i am sure people still tune in after all two huge clubs are playing with big players. Also, many EPL player that went to La Liga did more than just fine and actually always are main reasons why you win CL's. So chill Don Quixote your "La Liga is better" campaigns on footyroom doesn't change the facts in the real world.

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Coutinho is fine, but not on the wing. He is much better at CM.

tiki_taka 5 years ago

@Marcus what sucks is money over results, Betis atm would trash money Chelsea just saying...
want talk trash ? lets do it money doesnt buy success, unless an EPL team wins CL every year, oh waiiit...