Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

hey
onenil 11 years ago
Arsenal, United States 6 91

Glad to have stumbled upon this--I'm a more or less solitary soccer fan (and YES I do call it soccer lol),  and was pondering what the hell my Arsenal would do left back wise against Bayern Munich and found wisdom via  Google here. Vermaelen seems a wise choice; thank god there's a left foot in the center. Watched right before the Invincibles in early 00s (was dating a guy with gunner tats all over his chest), and picked up the habit again when my best friend took up the habit. Can't put it down. My one true love.

I'm a rabid Arsenal fan, and can't stand ManU for all the usual reasons Arsenal fans can't. Now that we're not even in the top four, and they've got that traitor, I'm even more of a hater. Call it rabid dislike and sour grapes. The Yankees of the EPL. Tottenham too (though their away kit is stylin). No problem with the fans though, just the apparatus.

I'm in Portland, Oregon and we have the MLS Timbers. I live about five minutes from the stadium and haven't gone; I just can't get that excited about the MLS, a mediocre team especially. But will be there when Thierry and the Red Bulls show for opening day!! Psyched.

I root for Pirlo and Buffon in Serie A, Cesc and Song (oh how I miss thee!) in La Liga, and no one in particular in the Bundesliga, especially not BM (though Neuer is hot in that Aryan way).  I am a huge fan of Drogba and miss him--glad he'll be back in Europe, at least for now. I loathe Ronaldo, Nani, and Nasri. And of course the Dutch deserter. Big crush on Bruno Alves and think Michu's a slovenly cute, which some people think is weird. And Balotelli entertains.

Other than soccer I'm a fervent fan of good literature--Nabakov, Faulkner, McCarthy, Delillo, Amis II, etc.--and now in my thirties I'm less of a snob and read Stephen King and James Ellroy, too. Love crosswords, acrostics, logic puzzles; dig ska and West Coast punk; am a pretty far leftie.

Was a paralegal and then graduated from law school, but never practiced; don't think I could stand another day working with lawyers and their geekdom and nastiness. But specialized in international human rights, domestic constitutional law and civil rights, and poverty law. Used to speak fluent Japanese; people say my accent is still good, but now have trouble remembering words like "duck" and "kitchen." If you don't use it, you lose it. But do think it's pretty funny how transparent ManU is in trying to get Japanese money by acquiring Kagawa; can still read the banner ads.

Anyway, that's more than enough--sorry!--just glad to be here and hope I didn't offend anyone unduly. Like I said, I am Arsenal forever, whether relegated to npower 2 in three years or winning Barclay's, but I still have mad respect for the dedications others show to their teams.

Comments
Golden 11 years ago
35 693

Welcome! :) Did you see Bruno Alves in the Euros? I was very impressed.

knibis 11 years ago
Valencia, Sweden 181 2500

" But do think it's pretty funny how transparent ManU is in trying to get Japanese money by acquiring Kagawa; can still read the banner ads." so true

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

@Onenil: Welcome! Always nice to have a Goonerette around. It also seems like you've got a good head on your shoulders.
Few tips: #1- you will find good debates on the forums but 90-95% of the highlight comments are written by stupid trolls.  #2- 95% of footyroom is male and so don't be surprised if you get the occasional sexist "what do you know about football" comment. #3- We all have clubs we dislike but try not to rub it in too much. We try to use the forum as a refuge for constructive criticism & foster good discussion.

PS - you reminded me of Ska. My ex used to listen to it all the time. I f***ing hated it :)

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

" 95% of footyroom is male and so don't be surprised if you get the occasional sexist "what do you know about football" comment."

Nah, we just say that to Arsenal fans, period... O;)

*runs and hides*

Footaholic 11 years ago
Arsenal, Egypt 178 2277

@Lodatz: well done hahahaha. FOYS

GunnerAFC 11 years ago
Arsenal, England 47 1026

Welcome :)

Loving the name +1

20ROBINVANPERSIE 11 years ago
Manchester United, England 26 349

hater :P lol

welcome !!