Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

How far will Mo Salah go
Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

So you all know Salah have had a incredible season thus far and I started to wonder how far he would go, what title he would win. For me, he is well on his way to win PFA best EPL player of the season with the performance he currently given. But could there be more? Do you guys think he might win the Golden Boots? And where will he be on the Ballon d'or list? Top 3? Top 10? Higher?

Just to compare his stat in term of goal and assist with the like of Messi and Ronaldo on a club level, you'll already see how impressive it is:

Name | Appearances | Goal | Assist
Salah | 39 | 35 | 10
Ronaldo | 32 | 32 | 6
Messi | 38 | 33 | 14

Seem pretty damn close to me, so what you think? Is Salah on the same level as Messi and Ronaldo this season? Will this last? What will this give him in the end?

Comments
Moonman1738 6 years ago
0 6

He’s been absolutely terrific, and I don’t see any signs of him slowing down. Definitely deserves to be in the Ballon d’or conversation.

tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Reason why I fear Liverpool in CL, they have a Messi in the squad. He does everything, his progression under Klopp is spectacular.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Tiki I know, he fit Klopp style of play so well. Its kind of scary and he is also so good on an individual level, if allowed to be creative, he can pull some crazy stunt. :D

@Moonman I agree, he is terrific atm, hope he keep this up for many year.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

the real test is always champions league. people want to see him perform at the highest level. messi earns his ballon d'or because of performances vs man utd, real madrid, bayern and so on. ronaldo earns his ballon d'or because of performances vs bayern, juventus and so on. off course stats back up the performance, if he can carry liverpool at least to the semifinal, I don't see why he couldn't be in top 3. tbf, neymar has not live up to his expectation at psg. but again, the season is not over world cup is ahead performances against big sides are as important as stats. I don't see him stopping because klopp's tactic suits him well. I predict top 10 because brazil performances will lift neymar again. it is not easy to surpass ronaldo and messi dominance due to their longetivity, something that r9 and r10 are envious of.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

He's at the level of Ronaldo but you can't compare him with Messi since Messi never played in PL.
I would say one thing though, it will be hard to put up these stats next season or any season after that, what he's doing now is one of the best seasons any winger has had in the PL.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

“ you can’t compare him to Messi since Messi never played in PL “

Messi faces the strongest PL teams of each season and has incredible stats against them, I think teams like West Bromwich or Stoke are the lucky ones not to face him not the opposite.

Can’t really understand why you should always go in this kind of comparisons, Ronaldo has more similarities with Harry Kane. Salah is a fast paced dribbler, left footed. His style has nothing to do with Ronaldo’s.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

He's on fire. Its terrifying.

I dont think he is at the level of Messi and Ronaldo yet. Give it another 2 years.

I agree with the Bald_genius, he needs to prove himself against top tier teams in CL to be compared to these guys.

On the side note, he is more like Messi style, drop deep, dribbles, more to the core build up of the goal. While Ronaldo is more of a finisher.

Golazo111 6 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Messi faces the strongest PL teams of each season and has incredible stats against them, I think teams like West Bromwich or Stoke are the lucky ones not to face him not the opposite.

Not comparable like I said, playing for Barcelona in CL against some PL teams is not the same as playing in the PL for a PL team, it's that simple really :)

Ronaldo played in the PL, left a big mark and was the most prolific winger in the league even just being at his second season at 19 years old, just like Salah is becoming now, far more comparable because of their style of play - both Salah and Ronaldo play as wingers in PL but also as strikers - which is why Salah scored so much because any expert won't be able to find a real classic winger scoring so much, so it's much more comparable, many here are too young so they see football only on the surface but if you look deep enough you'll understand, there is youtube for those interested in how Ronaldo played in Manchester United, one hint, he didn't play like he is playing now at 33 years of age :)

Just because old players like Torres or Rooney couldn't adapt their game to their body and fell from the spotlight doesn't mean that Ronaldo was always the same, he adapted his game and that's why he is still breaking records but when he was younger he was running down the wing and cutting inside - exactly like Salah is doing, thus once again, a much more valid comparation :)

You can start comparing Salah to Messi if he does something relevant in CL like Messi did, untill then Messi is far above anyone for a decent comparation except the likes of Maradona which is ofc a debate about who is the best player of all time :)

Can’t really understand why you should always go in this kind of comparisons, Ronaldo has more similarities with Harry Kane.

Not comparable at all but I guess you only see who scores goals, fact is Ronaldo is a far different type of a football player than Harry Kane, he is just 33 years old that adapted his game like I said, while Kane is 24 years old and plays like an advanced forward, which is not how Ronaldo has played for the majority of his career so you're once again, wrong.

Salah is a fast paced dribbler, left footed. His style has nothing to do with Ronaldo’s.

Ronaldo is right footed but has been running down both left and right wing over the years, he was also fast paced and like I said their style of play is very similar they are wingers that play as trequartistas for their team where they cut inside and move into channels along side the rest of their attacking force - Ronaldo had Rooney at his prime + Tevez/Larsson/Saha/Smith and Salah attacks with players giving space such as Mané/Firmino :)

I'm far more advanced in seeing the game compared to you that will always try to discredit/disregard the player that matched your favorite player, you will always be, biased against facts and thus football.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Not comparable like I said, playing for Barcelona in CL against some PL teams is not the same as playing in the PL for a PL team, it's that simple really :)

Ronaldo played in the PL, left a big mark and was the most prolific winger in the league even just being at his second season at 19 years old, just like Salah is becoming now, far more comparable because of their style of play - both Salah and Ronaldo play as wingers in PL but also as strikers - which is why Salah scored so much because any expert won't be able to find a real classic winger scoring so much, so it's much more comparable, many here are too young so they see football only on the surface but if you look deep enough you'll understand, there is youtube for those interested in how Ronaldo played in Manchester United, one hint, he didn't play like he is playing now at 33 years of age :)

Just because old players like Torres or Rooney couldn't adapt their game to their body and fell from the spotlight doesn't mean that Ronaldo was always the same, he adapted his game and that's why he is still breaking records but when he was younger he was running down the wing and cutting inside - exactly like Salah is doing, thus once again, a much more valid comparation :)

You can start comparing Salah to Messi if he does something relevant in CL like Messi did, untill then Messi is far above anyone for a decent comparation except the likes of Maradona which is ofc a debate about who is the best player of all time :)

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I think Messi comparisons with Salah are largely because he's a diminutive left-footed dribbler... His playing style is far more similar to a young Ronaldo than Messi at any point in Messi's career.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

He's been excellent this season, but it is certainly still a breakout year...I find it hard to rate him above the two players who have been producing like this for a generation.

It's always been clear that Salah has talent, but he didn't exactly set the world on fire until he entered Klopp's system...while there is nothing wrong with producing now, it does kind of mark him as a system player...but system player or not he's having a terrific year and if he breaks the EPL scoring record he'll certainly have to be in the conversation for POTY. I still rate De Bruyne, but Salah is making me question that...as for the world as a whole, he'd have to best Messi/Ronaldo in some way. Winning the UCL would make that obvious.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golazo @tiki Question of opinion for me, Salah play on the same side as Messi, dribble a lot and assist his team-mate more often a la Messi however, he also play in the PL, is splendid in his debut season (not counting his time at Chelsea) and generaly play more of a striker/winger hybrid a la Ronaldo. Personally, I think he is a bit of middle point between their two characteristic, got some of their quality and their weakness. For example, he sometime try too much and end up losing the ball. For me, he is just a fantastic player who work well with his current. No doubt he still isn't as formidable as CR7 and as Messi and that he isn't as impressive against stronger team than those two, but still, who know might happen if he keep his form up and continue to reproduce what he is doing in future season?

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Emo Fact is the game is not evolving out of nowhere, like the say goes we are standing on the shoulders of giants.
Meaning that other players with their managers and teams showed how it can be done and how it can be played so it's possible that Salah could out-do what Ronaldo did as his stats are showing and play a more perfect attacking player but one season isn't going to be enough specially since Liverpool won't win much.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Golazo True that my good lad, I gotta say that I'm especially curious to see what happen next season for Salah, that will be a very important part for sure.

@Dynast Oh! Good seeing you here mate, it been far too long since I last saw you on the forum, hope you find the time to keep on dropping from time to time. I really missed you. ;)

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

very far

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Marcus For some reason, when I saw you answered on this thread, I half expected an answer like that. Happy to see I'm starting to get how you think. :P +1

tiki_taka 6 years ago Edited

How stupid is this answer ? really wont answer that.

enter image description here

add 3 goals + 1 assist in the last 2 games vs Chelsea.

why dragging conversation that way each time ? you seriously have a problem with that.

so i dont have the right to say Salah has similarities withMessi ? style, impact, pace ? ok no problem.

• History

How stupid is this answer ? really wont answer that.

enter image description here

add 3 goals + 1 assist in the last 2 games vs Chelsea.

why dragging conversation that way each time ? you seriously have a problem with that.

so i dont have the right to say Salah has similarities withMessi ? style, impact, pace ? ok no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mohamed+salah+the+egyptian+messi+

tiki_taka 6 years ago Edited

the " Egyptian Messi " is his nickname in half of youtube videos and in his country, but i must be the only one seeing similarity, probably im just hating on Ronaldo again somehow....

• History

the " Egyptian Messi " is his nickname in half of youtube videos and in his country, but i must be the only one seeing similarity, probably im just hating on Ronaldo again somehow....

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

You just put a dumb picture there, that shows how both players scored against PL teams, still 1 big diffirence in what I'm talking about, Ronaldo played in PL while Messi didn't so learn to read:

Playing for Barcelona/Real against some PL teams is not the same as playing in PL for a PL team.

Titles of youtube videos really matter, when discussing about his style of play I see, after all you would name all your videos however you want regardless of any objectivity LOL

Even Dynastian knows what I'm talking about:

I think Messi comparisons with Salah are largely because he's a diminutive left-footed dribbler... His playing style is far more similar to a young Ronaldo than Messi at any point in Messi's career.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I disagree with Dynatian on this point. FAR FAR from remotely agree with the Messi part.

But all the great players share similarity. Salah is very similar to young Ronaldo (aka. Ronaldo in Manchester United - which I way prefer). This is true. And what do the 3 share at this point. Drop deep, harrassing defender from the build up, dribbles and do wow on those things.

Then how does that far away to Messi then?

rayrex7 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Croatia 26 797

He is undoubtedly the best PL player this season, but comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo is far-fetched and competing for the Balon D'Or as well. if he wins a trophy? maybe, but now just no. Firminio and Mane deserve credit as well, Firminio is the only forward i know that actually drops deep and defends, he is their best player in the UCL, vs watford, you see Mane dropping deep, making runs and passing to Salah. I'm not taking anything away from Salah, he is their best player, but its more of Klopp using the front 3 as a single unit. Liverpool's midfield is trash, thats why Mane and Firminio drop deep why Salah excecutes it, Salah for me is the best finisher in the team, while Mane is supporting with his passing and dribbling and firmino supports the defense and Midfield. People underrate Firmino especially.

Salah will win the PFA player of season if he goes on in this form, but ballon D'or is a bit far. Well its far for every one and until Now the player deserving he Ballon D'Or is Messi. But just don't compare Salah with Messi and Ronaldo, Kane, Eriksen, Son, KDB, Sane, Firminio, Willian, Fernandinho, DDG, Dembele, all these player s are having a terrific season as well.

Salah is Salah, he isnt the Egyptian Messi or anything, every player plays the way he can, Messi has been doing this for more then a decade and Salah just started to do that cause he has more space in the field. Every player plays what he thinks its best for the team. Ronaldo this season has been dropping deep in the midfield as if as he was Casemiro, he isnt only on the 18 yard box, thats just ignorant people who havent seen any game and just read a lot of football memes.

Salah needs to beat the best to be the best, The Ballon D'Or is still far and he has a chance of winning it, but still to early to decide.

• History

He is undoubtedly the best PL player this season, but comparing him to Messi and Ronaldo is far-fetched and competing for the Balon D'Or as well. if he wins a trophy? maybe, but now just no. Firminio and Mane deserve credit as well, Firminio is the only forward i know that actually drops deep and defends, he is their best player in the UCL, vs watford, you see Mane dropping deep, making runs and passing to Salah. I'm not taking anything away from Salah, he is their best player, but its more of Klopp using the front 3 as a single unit. Liverpool's midfield is trash, thats why Mane and Firminio drop deep why Salah excecutes it, Salah for me is the best finisher in the team, while Mane is supporting with his passing and dribbling and firmino supports the defense and Midfield. People underrate Firmino especially.

Salah will win the PFA player of season if he goes on in this form, but ballon D'or is a bit far. Well its far for every one and until Now the player deserving he Ballon D'Or is Messi.

Salah needs to beat the best to be the best, The Ballon D'Or is still far and he has a chance of winning it, but still to early to decide.