Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Messi returning to the national team?
_Pelle_ 6 years ago Edited
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6885

Argentina Football Association president Claudio Tapia has no doubt that Lionel Messi will return to the national team...

What do you think? Have we seen the last of Messi in the Argentinian jersey or not?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Argentina Football Association (president Claudio Tapia has no doubt that Lionel Messi will return to the national team...

What do you think? Have we seen the last of Messi in the Argentinian jersey or not?

Comments
Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

No matter what happens, he's going to get bashed. Expectations are too high for him (to perform like Maradona), and he frequently disappoints in World Cups. If he plays, he's going to get bashed for not being Maradona. If he doesn't play, he's going to be bashed for being a quitter.

It's a lose-lose situation for him. I say finish the next Copa America and then retire (which is what I think he's going to do).

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

but more importantly, is meza/pavon still starting over dybala? higuain over icardi? mascherano? what's the point of returning if comedy lineup still exist. I think the seriousness of team selection into a tournament is the first step in convincing messi to be back.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

It is medias fault at large for putting him on pedestal as God of football. Some people are morons to feed into this narrative to overhype player then bash him when he doesn't live up to hyped up standards but media feeds and nurtures these morons. I think this sort of publicity has put made more damage to Messi but it can't be that bad. I still can't find a good excuse for how he can continuously underperform so badly and turn into below average player for Argentina. It is not normal at all because Argentina with the right manager is formidable and talented side. Lord Bendtner had more successful performances for Denmark than Messi. Let that sink in for a moment.

Dynastian98 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

It's because Barcelona's tactics and playing style is specifically suited to maximize his potential. So when he is put into a system that does not maximize him, he does not look nearly as good. Very different from players like CR7, Zidane, Maradona, etc. who can excel regardless of whether the tactics suit them or not.

Even with all his talent, Messi still is very much a system-player (kind of like Busquets), except his talent level is so exceptional he has become an all-time great.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

It's because Barcelona's tactics and playing style is specifically suited to maximize his potential. So when he is put into a system that does not maximize him, he does not look nearly as good. Very different from players like CR7, Zidane, Maradona, etc. who can excel regardless of whether the tactics suit them or not.

Algerino 6 years ago
Napoli, Algeria 6 845

I think he will return for the next copa america like dynastian98 said. But not more. He needs a trophy with national team to cement his legacy as maradonas equal in argentina or better.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Dynastian He still got some awesome moment of brillance even with Argentina though. I mean, his goal against Nigeria was a beauty. But otherwise, I completely agree with you. +1.

Golefty 6 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

Messi just trying to be relevent again now that the Ronaldo is gone

jk :P

Champions league hattrick shoulda do the trick

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

That is a very loud claim. You are dismissing him as perfect system player. Therefore, are you saying that if Messi was to play in another league he wouldn't have reached similar heights of success unless the club had perfect system in place for him to fit in?