{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Messi & Ronaldo's scoring gap in the CL's late stages
Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Came across this recently.

Goals only in the CL QUARTERS, SEMIS, and FINAL

Messi, from 2005-12 (Barcelona golden era)

20 games
13 goals
4 assists

Ronaldo, from 2003-12

21 games
14 goals
3 assists

Basically identical records. Here's the disparity now.

Messi, from 2013-18

16 games
3 goals
2 assists

Ronaldo, from 2013-18 (Madrid golden era)

26 games
26 goals
3 assists

The 3 Messi goals were x1 against PSG in 2012-13, and x2 against Bayern in 2014-15 when they won the treble.

Comments
Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

To even compare the Portugal squad to the plethora of talent on the Argentina squad shows your ignorance.

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Neymar has 10 goals in 13 games, I remember bigger moments from Messi, but Neymar was very underrated in his big game performances. If this guy fixed his attitude, what a player he would be.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

@Dynast Sure, there is more talented player and big name for Argentina, but Portugal have a lots of decent one who does very good with their game plan. Sure, I cannot compare the like of Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain, Dybala and Di Maria to the rest of the Portugal squad but thats about it. In last world cup at least, I don't believe Argentina had another player than those and Messi who were obviously above those of Portugal. Now, I'm propably ignorant like you just said but from experience, I haven't heard of any team that can suceed in a world cup without a good midfield or defense.

@Amir Well, we seen player similar to Neymar get more mature with time, there still hope.

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

@golefty

I thought your original argument was "pressure" of playing for Argentina. I like to disagree on this because facts are that Ronaldo's career always has been to bring him down as if he just hyped up player. Messi career was always about how media exaggerate his abilities, elevates him to pedestal even when he played complete garbage and blame others for his failure just like @tiki did with meaningless contributions he made ( END RESULT IS WHAT MATTERS) . I never liked Ronaldo when he played for United, but i begun to notice why and it was because how media, fans and pundits were always antagonizing him. I think it is because of Ronaldo's " go f*ck yourself" attitude to everyone who criticized him.

Also, i understand pressure for Messi to deliver because he is expected to deliver trophies like Maradona, but for god sake Maradona won that cup for Argentina not on his own, but with amazing squad too. Not to mention he cheated to win WC. Messi in Argentina has world class squad, so it is only fair for fans to expect international trophy!

At Portugal they expect it even more because come on it is Ronaldo and he has to win it, not to mention pressure from the media that are waiting like sharks to see Ronaldo fail in Portugal jersey, so they can win the argument about that Messi is better because hard to argue when for club Ronaldo proves he is best in stats and performances. Fact. Messi never got as much heat from media and football fans as much as Ronaldo does, maybe Ronaldo is right, that is because he is good looking rich, arguably greatest player and has gorgeous woman lined up for him.

@emo

Come, what else Messi doesn't have? He was the midfield and defense, and amazingly dived to save volleys for goalkeeper too. He did everything but everyone failed him. Amazing logic. He does everything but somehow he isn't responsible.

@joze

Which Result? What game? please reference

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

Come, what else Messi doesn't have? He was the midfield and defense, and amazingly dived to save volleys for goalkeeper too. He did everything but everyone failed him. Amazing logic. He does everything but somehow he isn't responsible.

What are you on about? I never said Messi did everything. I was just trying to point out that Argentina doesn't have that many incredible midfielders and defenders. They don't have a really good goalkeeper either imo.

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

What are you on about? in 2014 Argentina had most clean sheets in the tournament and their midfield consisting of Di Maria and Lavezzi was brilliantly commanded by Mascherano. Oh yea their goalkeeper was crap too because apparently getting them into the final by pulling incredible saves against Dutch wasn't enough to be a good goalie.

Emobot7 5 years ago Edited
538 11426

@Marcus2011 Well, gonna be sincere, its hard for me to go as far back as 2014, I didn't really follow Argentina in that tournament. :P But then again, like Dynast said, I'm just an ignorant guy who doesn't know much about football so don't worry about what I say too much, I'm just trying to participate but obviously, I still lack a lot of you guys experience before I can actually participate and add to the conversion in constructive manner. :)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Marcus2011 Well, gonna be sincere, its hard for me to go as far back as 2014, I didn't really follow Argentina in that tournament. :P But then again, like Dynast said, I'm just an ignorant guy who doesn't know much about football so don't worry about what I say too much, I'm just trying to participate but obviously, I still lack a lot of you guys experience before I can actually participate and add to the conversion. :)

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

It’s easy to get a clean sheet when you have a player that obliges a whole team to park the bus and close space. Spurs in first leg tried to open play Messi, luckily for them the woodwork was motm.
Im sure Marcus you did not watch Barça game yesterday nor the one before, nor the previous ones...
Just RESULTS !!! And when it goes to PeP RESULTS doesn’t Matter !!! Classic Marcus, no upgrade of opinion for almost a decade lol no matter the RESULTS !!!

I remember few years ago : « i will rate Pep when he delivers in PL « won PL with 100 pts, « City got unlimited budget « 
« Messi should score vs Chelsea «  Done
« Should play without Xavi-Iniesta «  Done
« Should score Vs Buffon «  Done
« Should lead his nation «  World Cup Final almost done
« His quality will drop down once he gets aging «  he is getting more complete.
« Does have a bad weak foot « once he uses it, it goes in but since he got the best left foot I’ve ever seen...

Excuses are loading, but at the end I think things are just getting exciting now with Messi playing the captain role. He will end up with +10 leagues and 5th CL and surely got 2 competitions left in national stage.

_Pelle_ 5 years ago Edited
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6871

A problem Argentina has had is the problem of a manager that can get the best out of the squad... and all the drama around it. As a contrast to that I think Barca has had relatively good management from the coaches and much less drama. This is a major reason that Messi performes better in Barca.

• History

A problem Argentina has had is the problem of a manager that can get the best out of the squad... and all the drama around it. As a contrast to that I think Barca has had relatively good management from the coaches and much less drama.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

A problem Argentina has had is the problem of a manager that can get the best out of the squad... and all the drama around it. As a contrast to that I think Barca has had relatively good management from the coaches and much less drama. This is a major reason that Messi performes better in Barca.

Underrated comment imo. +1 Pelle 👍

Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

He is just the best scorer of the history of his country with one of the weakest Argentina squad

Aguero, Dybala, Higuain, Messi, Mascherano, Tevez, di Maria, Otamendi... clearly one of the "weakest", right? This is probably Argentina's best squad of all-time, especially on the offensive end.

Do you see Juve like a scoring machine due to space created ? Nope.

Those who do not watch football intelligently will not be able to understand. Douglas Costa's goal today against Chievo was just another simple example of Ronaldo creating chaos throughout the opposition's back line through his off-ball movement. If you do not watch them play, do not spew garbage.

Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

elevates him to pedestal even when he played complete garbage and blame others for his failure just like @tiki did with meaningless contributions he made ( END RESULT IS WHAT MATTERS)

Marcus is absolutely right. Whenever Argentina or Barcelona fail, Messi is never blamed - even if he puts in a horrendous performance. Disappeared vs. Germany in the WC final? Blame Higuain. Play poorly in the Copa America final and miss a penalty in the shootout? Blame the squad. Disappear against Juve? Blame the squad. Disappear against Atletico? Blame the marking.

It's only excuses and excuses for Leo Messi. There is no equity in standards when judging Ronaldo vs. Messi. Messi is always given a pass for his meek personality, and Ronaldo is always scrutinized for his brashness.

_Pelle_ 5 years ago Edited
Paris Saint-Germain 156 6871

Whenever Argentina or Barcelona fail, Messi is never blamed

In Barca I could agree that he gets away easily, mainly because of the teams success. But Messi has taken, like everyone else, a lot of blame when Argentina failed in major tournaments... especially from haters to say the least. The memes are countless on his tears after Argentina lost to Chile in penalties just to give an example. And to say "never" is exaggerating.

• History

In Barca I could agree that he gets away easily, mainly because of the teams success. But Messi has taken, like everyone else, a lot of blame when Argentina failed in major tournaments... especially from haters to say the least. The memes are countless on his tears after Argentina lost to Chile in penalties just to give an example. To say never is exaggerating.

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11426

It's only excuses and excuses for Leo Messi. There is no equity in standards when judging Ronaldo vs. Messi. Messi is always given a pass for his meek personality, and Ronaldo is always scrutinized for his brashness.

Will actually concede thats true to a certain level, Ronaldo get a lot more stick than Messi that he doesn't alway deserve, or at least, he doesn't deserve it any more than Messi, thats for sure. Think Ronaldo deserve a break from the football fanbase though, since he seem to have matured a lots in last few years.

tiki_taka 5 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Actually Dynast it’s a great thread because we find different views and everyone tries to give his partition on the subject. There is no action of everyone is agreeing.

As far as I’m concerned, watching them both playing for years, even if I’m a Barca fan I goes for Messi every day, we talk about Messi not surpassing Pele, only on stats and WCs, because « footbalistically « we are watching something that never happened before since Phenomeno ( short period comparing to Messi ).

I respect Ronaldo as one of the best ever, his hunger is unseen. He got 60% shots on target this season with 14 goals in 20 games. With this stat he could have scored 25 already with ZIdane Madrid if his conversion rate was the same. He is having his best season stats aside because in a new year he is overachieving and he got my respect for that.

If Ronaldo leads Juve to CL, he will mark History. It’s fucking unlikely but if he does, his legacy will rest for years. He doesn’t have to, we all saw his consistency and greatness. I always rated him high

tuan_jinn 5 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Aguero, Dybala, Higuain, Messi, Mascherano, Tevez, di Maria, Otamendi... clearly one of the "weakest", right? This is probably Argentina's best squad of all-time, especially on the offensive end.

WHAT??????? best squad?????? I really thought you are better than this @Dyn.

Do you just simply exclude defends and all mids at once and include some good strikers into it so you can downgrade Messi? This is impossible. Argentina undoubtedly had the worst defend and center mid ever in the last 10 years, not to mention, those striker stars are always at the "failed to delivery part" or end of career part.

Both you @Dynastian and @Markus are simply full of hates that really blinded all of your reason... this is gotta be the worst joke ever. He took the most blames in all of the crumbling Argentina. He took blamed on national TV, from Legends from every-freakin-where. The only part that is semi relevant is Barca, but then Barca had so much success and he had so much individual achievement there to be blamed. He did get it in the last few years when Real won the UCL back to back. Read the news guys.

Both Ronaldo and Messi have been under unfair criticisms for their national displays.

Now, Messi is nowhere near god in Argentina, same as Ronaldo, but dont act like the guy doesn't have a clue what he is doing there. I wonder if you or Markus even watch a single Argentina game except the final or the game they failed.

What some of their whole journey then talk. THey wouldn't even be in the WC if it wasn't for Messi. (looked at when he was injured)

• History

Do you just simply exclude defend and all mids at once and include some good strikers into it so you can downgrade Messi? This is impossible. Barca has the worst defends and center mid ever in the last 10 years, not to mention, those striker stars are always at the "failed to delivery part" or end of career part.

Both you and Markus are simply full of hates that really blinded all of your reason... this is gotta be the worst joke ever. He took the most blames in all of the crumbling Argentina.

Now, Messi is nowhere near god in Argentina, same as Ronaldo, but dont act like the guy doesn't have a clue what he is doing there. I wonder if you or Markus even watch a single Argentina game except the final or the game they failed.

What some of their whole journey then talk. THey wouldn't even be in the WC if it wasn't for Messi. (looked at when he was injured)

Do you just simply exclude defends and all mids at once and include some good strikers into it so you can downgrade Messi? This is impossible. Argentina undoubtedly had the worst defend and center mid ever in the last 10 years, not to mention, those striker stars are always at the "failed to delivery part" or end of career part.

Both you and Markus are simply full of hates that really blinded all of your reason... this is gotta be the worst joke ever. He took the most blames in all of the crumbling Argentina. The only part that is semi relevant is Barca, but then Barca had so much success and he had so much individual achievement there to be blamed. He did get it in the last few years when Real won the UCL back to back. Read the news guys.

Both you @Dynastian and @Markus are simply full of hates that really blinded all of your reason... this is gotta be the worst joke ever. He took the most blames in all of the crumbling Argentina. The only part that is semi relevant is Barca, but then Barca had so much success and he had so much individual achievement there to be blamed. He did get it in the last few years when Real won the UCL back to back. Read the news guys.

tuan_jinn 5 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

@Emo:

Ronaldo get a lot more stick than Messi that he doesn't alway deserve, or at least, he doesn't deserve it any more than Messi, thats for sure. Think Ronaldo deserve a break from the football fanbase though, since he seem to have matured a lots in last few years.

This is very true too, Ronaldo has lots of hater also because of his ego. But he doesn't deserve that.

Golefty 5 years ago Edited
Toronto FC 27 1016

Those who do not watch football intelligently will not be able to understand

To even compare the Portugal squad to the plethora of talent on the Argentina squad shows your ignorance.

@Dyanast WTF is with these holier than thou comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion and TBH even tho Argentina has good players they're often a pretty shitty "team", Portugal won the euros,argentina runner up in 2014 wc, and both eliminated at same stage of this WC, Portugal and Argentina both had great games, so i would say the comparison draws merit and you just being ignorant

Both you @Dynastian and @Markus are simply full of hates that really blinded all of your reason
@tuan
thanks for pointing this out, i honestly dont understand why who people who fangirl over Ronoldo think Messi isnt on the same level.

• History

@Dyanast WTF is with these wholier than thou comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion and TBH even tho Argentina has good players theyre often a pretty shitty "team", Portugal won the euros,argentina runner up in 2014 wc, and both eliminated at same stage of WC and Portugal and Argentina both has breat games, so i would say the comparison draws merit and you just showing how ignorant you are

@Dyanast WTF is with these wholier than thou comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion and TBH even tho Argentina has good players they're often a pretty shitty "team", Portugal won the euros,argentina runner up in 2014 wc, and both eliminated at same stage of WC and Portugal and Argentina both had great games, so i would say the comparison draws merit and you just being ignorant

@Dyanast WTF is with these wholier than thou comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion and TBH even tho Argentina has good players they're often a pretty shitty "team", Portugal won the euros,argentina runner up in 2014 wc, and both eliminated at same stage of WC and Portugal and Argentina both had great games, so i would say the comparison draws merit and you just being ignorant

Both you @Dynastian and @Markus are simply full of hates that really blinded all of your reason
@tuan
thanks for pointing this out, i honestly dont understand why who like Ronoldo think Messi isnt on the same level.

@Dyanast WTF is with these wholier than thou comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion and TBH even tho Argentina has good players they're often a pretty shitty "team", Portugal won the euros,argentina runner up in 2014 wc, and both eliminated at same stage of this WC, Portugal and Argentina both had great games, so i would say the comparison draws merit and you just being ignorant

@tuan
thanks for pointing this out, i honestly dont understand why who like Ronoldo think Messi isnt on the same level.

@Dyanast WTF is with these holier than thou comments, everyone is entitled to their opinion and TBH even tho Argentina has good players they're often a pretty shitty "team", Portugal won the euros,argentina runner up in 2014 wc, and both eliminated at same stage of this WC, Portugal and Argentina both had great games, so i would say the comparison draws merit and you just being ignorant

@tuan

JozeV2 5 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

@Dynastian

Did you just say Messi is never blamed? That is ignorance, not emo's comments about Argentina's squad.

Its also ignorant not mentioning headers, penalties, assists, key passes and other valuable info. The post is just numbers and you throw one phrase ''messi and cr7 have the same roles'' when they are completely different athletes. One is a unique talented individual that is shorter than me with a unique skillset and Cr7 is a training product that can also score in the air much easier. If you get what I mean each athlete has his strengths and weaknesses and numbers don't show that.

Since Ronaldo is a big stage athlete why dont you show the el classico stats?
Messi has 26 goals Ronaldo has 18
Messi won 17 of those games and Ronaldo won 8
Messi has 14 assists and he created 68 chances while Ronaldo has only 1 and he created just 15.

If you bother to talk trash at least do it right not with stats that benefit the 1 athlete.

@Marcus

When Messi announced he was retiring from Argentina just remember the results Argentina had without him. Due to my busy work schedule I can't really research or type a wall of text pointing out my opinion but I promise you tomorrow or one of those days I will try to find some time just to discuss since we rarely see our opinions not match, I would enjoy discussing it.

Golefty 5 years ago
Toronto FC 27 1016

@JOseV2

those el classico stats, that is some crazy stuff.