{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Messi & Ronaldo's scoring gap in the CL's late stages
Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Came across this recently.

Goals only in the CL QUARTERS, SEMIS, and FINAL

Messi, from 2005-12 (Barcelona golden era)

20 games
13 goals
4 assists

Ronaldo, from 2003-12

21 games
14 goals
3 assists

Basically identical records. Here's the disparity now.

Messi, from 2013-18

16 games
3 goals
2 assists

Ronaldo, from 2013-18 (Madrid golden era)

26 games
26 goals
3 assists

The 3 Messi goals were x1 against PSG in 2012-13, and x2 against Bayern in 2014-15 when they won the treble.

Comments
Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

@JozeV2 Wow, didn't actually realize how good Messi was in the Classico's. Good share mate. ;)

amir_keal 5 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Messi was the best player in the 2016 final even though he missed the PK. The guy went through huge pressure before, during and after a game to the point he was beaten emotionally and retired. To say he never gets blamed is a complete lie.

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

@tuanis

This is impossible. Argentina undoubtedly had the worst defend and center mid ever in the last 10 years, not to mention, those striker stars are always at the "failed to delivery part" or end of career part

How do you even come to this conclusion is beyond my comprehension? Do you actually took time to look at Argentinas football history and players that Argentina had/have in the last 10 years? Argentina was rated as favorite to win in every major tournament they have played in the last 10 years by media pundits and opposition managers, but what do they know right?

He took the most blames in all of the crumbling Argentina

We aren't in hate, i think I am biased but I look at this with as much balance as I can. He got hate because in some matches he completely disappeared and wasn't showing his individual performance. Buddy, you don't need your team mates to go past one or two players like he does in Barcelona, so that is what Argentina were criticizing him for. Show your performance as individual player.

What some of their whole journey then talk. THey wouldn't even be in
the WC if it wasn't for Messi. (looked at when he was injured)

Now that statement seriously made me reconsider if you watched Argentina in WC. What ignorant statement like shot in the dark hoping I don't have an answer for that because i didn't watch it! Sucks for you but I watched it all and definitely it wasn't Messi's miracle that brought them into final. I suggest to watch it again. If you like to reference some phenomenal performances and how Argentina worried more about not having Di Maria recovering who was playing phenomenally above his usual club performance. Probably, a main reason why they went past Belgium who were favorites to win WC too. This is just one out of many other players who contributed in crucial times to push Argentina into the next stage. It wasn't just Messi in the knockout stages because group stages was complete joke of a teams playing.

@jozeV2

When managers will stop trying to fit the team into Messi's football instead of trying to fit Messi into the team then Argentina will play much better. Argentina isn't barcelona where every one revolves around messi, but also i thought to myself where does he disappear individual performance wise when he puts on Argentina jersey because he will be completely gone like last WC?

Marcus2011 5 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

@amir

No one claims that he never gets blamed. I am saying that he never nearly gets as much blame as Ronaldo IN EVERY TEAM HE PLAYS club or national. He should be able to easily control the pressure after so many years playing pro and being one of the greatest players. Face the pressure or go home staying retired player.

Dynastian98 5 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Joze

You can keep the El Clasico stats, I'll go with the guy who wins you knockout rounds.

JozeV2 5 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 6 214

@Dynastian98

You can also keep your ignorance and just speak of stats like Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless. (Since you an NBA fan)

Just watch how many players are watching Messi and how Bilbao's defense with Valverde as manager works. Literally every 1 or 2 seconds they let players unmarked while Messi continues to do magic. Watch how much space he creates, JUST WATCH. Each ball touch Messi does, makes a Bilbao player focus on him rather than the player he is supposed to mark.

Messi's off the ball movement is reduced for 2 reasons. No Xavi and Iniesta with those world class passes to feed his runs and no pass vision as it was back then. I mean you go on and act like an expert but you forget the most basic rule of football management. You use your player's qualities and strength according to what they are capable of. You can force Arthur to TRY and play like Xavi but he will never be as good as him or feed Messi like Xavi did.

So I will keep my stats but I will bother to back them up, unlike you. I think now you will call it a personal attack rather than recognize how wrong you were. You could actually bother to change my mind or actually do a proper convo with arguments and your opinion but no you will respond like a diva and act like a professor of football when you barely know the basics. Pity no matter if we dislike each other it is always great to exchange opinions rather than give 1 sentence replies and rely on my forum reputation and your admin friends to back you up and make me look like a hater.

@Marcus

Why don't we simply address the elephant in the room? Ronaldo is hated much more than Messi because it is easier to hate him, he is barely a diplomat when talking about himself or what he did(I personally like it), he sounds arrogant, he acts arrogant and he has every right to do it, instead Messi who barely talks or even when he does he is totally more of a diplomat than Ronaldo. That for me plays a major role on what you stated above

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Dynastian98

You can also keep your ignorance and just speak of stats like Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless. (Since you an NBA fan)

Just watch how many players are watching Messi and how Bilbao's defense with Valverde as manager works. Literally every 1 or 2 seconds they let players unmarked while Messi continues to do magic. Watch how much space he creates, JUST WATCH. Each ball touch Messi does, makes a Bilbao player focus on him rather than the player he is supposed to mark.

Messi's off the ball movement is reduced for 2 reasons. No Xavi and Iniesta with those world class passes to feed his runs and no pass vision as it was back then. I mean you go on and act like an expert but you forget the most basic rule of football management. You use your player's qualities and strength according to what they are capable of. You can force Arthur to TRY and play like Xavi but he will never be as good as him or feed Messi like Xavi did.

So I will keep my stats but I will bother to back them up, unlike you. I think now you will call it a personal attack rather than recognize how wrong you were.

@Marcus

Why don't we simply address the elephant in the room? Ronaldo is hated much more than Messi because it is easier to hate him, he is barely a diplomat when talking about himself or what he did(I personally like it), he sounds arrogant and he has every right to do it, instead Messi who barely talks or even when he does he is totally more of a diplomat than Ronaldo. That for me plays a major role on what you stated above

Emobot7 5 years ago
538 11432

Ronaldo is hated much more than Messi because it is easier to hate him, he is barely a diplomat when talking about himself or what he did(I personally like it), he sounds arrogant, he acts arrogant and he has every right to do it, instead Messi who barely talks or even when he does he is totally more of a diplomat than Ronaldo.

This pretty much. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like both now, but before, Ronaldo diva attitude really annoyed me. Only thing now is that I realize a bit more about CR7 circumstance and there is also the fact he matured a lots since I first got into football, for me, he has a much better attitude than a while back. Still, I concede that anyone who focus on first impression will most likely have a better image of Messi than Ronaldo.