Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Real Madrid is the first CL finalist of 17/18
Amerr30 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

So, Real Madrid has now made it three consecutive years in a row.

I don't know if that has ever been done before in the Champions League era. I know that Real Madrid is the only team to have won two back to back titles though.

Yet, after the game in which I nearly stopped breathing, I go on to check the news:

I'm thinking now there will be reports of fantastic defending by Real Madrid, not what they are known for. Navas will be called a GOAT. Bayern will, forever be, in Reals shadow.. going back to that league without any competition whatsoever.

But what do I find, just reading titles?

"Real Madrid was too lucky, and Bayern did everything right."

"Bayern was better, but this competition is special to Real Madrid"

And so on.. so on.. as we were before the tie - so are we after.

I personally don't need the media to know about Real's greatness. It's just.. so obvious that there's a certain feeling out there that the media gives off.. no matter what Real does, they will never be considered the best. That crown is reserved for their special darlings, Barca and Bayern.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I don't know if that has ever been done before in the Champions League era. I know that Real Madrid is the only team to have won two back to back titles though.

Yet, after the game in which I nearly stopped breathing, I go on to check the news:

I'm thinking now there will be reports of fantastic defending by Real Madrid, not what they are known for. Navas will be called a GOAT. Bayern will, forever be, in Reals shadow.. going back to that league without any competition whatsoever.

But what do I find, just reading titles?

"Real Madrid was too lucky, and Bayern did everything right."

"Bayern was better, but this competition is special to Real Madrid"

And so on.. so on.. as we were before the tie - so are we after.

Comments
Amerr30 6 years ago

BTW: Apologies for the title & the content of the post being.. only technically about the same thing.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

The last time Real Madrid lost a European Cup Final was in 1980/81' against Liverpool. Salah is coming for you!

enter image description here

*disclaimer in case Real Madrid actually wins for the 3rd time in a row they become one of the best football generation of a football team that the world has ever seen and we shall not guarantee that Salah is coming for you.

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

First of all the media purposely writes things that are outrageous or polarizing just to get more views.

Bayern were overall better than Real both legs. Reao just pounced on mistakes. Two curcial mistakes in each leg swung the tie and gifted it to Real. Also, the ref didn't help with a clear as day Marcelo handball.
The fact is, Spanish teams both Barca and Madrid are constantly helped in CL and everyone is tired of it. And this won't change until VAR is used.

Don't play the victim because it's the last thing people want to see from Madrid fans. Madrid are in another final while playing way below their standard ever since the Juve second leg. Fortune smiles on Zidane yet again in the CL.

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

@Golazo why would the become the best team in the generation? I feel two trebles along with a sextuple is much more significant that three CL. Especially with how abismal Real were in the League this season. You can't be the best in a single competition and terrible in every other and claim you are the best. That's not how it works.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

why would the become the best team in the generation? I feel two trebles along with a sextuple is much more significant that three CL. Especially with how abismal Real were in the League this season. You can't be the best in a single competition and terrible in every other and claim you are the best. That's not how it works.

3 Champions League titles in a row is unprecedented, along with that Real Madrid had won the league so many other smaller cup titles and supercup titles, give respect where it's due, last season they made history when they defended their Champions League title which nobody did before them since the competition has that name and that was historic enough, if they do it again that means total domination in European football and a big statement of the longevity of a squad.

Fortune smiles on Zidane yet again in the CL.

Seriously Real Madrid by good fortune or not have eliminated Bayern(German Champion), Juventus(Italian Champion), PSG(now French Champion) and yet you think that it's all cause of luck and that they don't play well...
Others are worse, simple as that it's not the fault of Real Madrid that nobody could beat them, every single team needs some fortune, you sound very bitter better go out a bit.

Salahadin 6 years ago
Real Madrid, France 11 554

Hala Madrid hala Madrid
Great game Bayern played like Champions but they faced real the only team which never gives up.

Liverpool is a great match but we will hurt them more than they can. And I have a feeling just a feeling that Roma is gonna pull back.

Real-Roma final

Yvan21 6 years ago
0 440

Playing like this we'll get smacked by whoever makes it to the final lol. Important thing is that Madrid is still alive I guess, but they've gotta do much better in the final. Madrid has always stressed that they aim not only to win, but to win while playing great football.

I guess at the end of the day you can't expect to go through these qualifying rounds, much less a semifinal, without some degree of suffering because you're going up against the greatest teams in Europe. However, if Madrid want that title then they'll have to play much better than they've done since the return leg against Juve. Supposing Liverpool do make it to the final, then I don't see Salah and company missing as many chances as Bayern did in both games.

Oh and time to finally start giving more credit to Keylor. He's saved our butts a lot of times in these games. And why was James even subbed? I felt that after the goal he was fired up and hungry for more.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

To be sincere, I personally think that Real on the contrary deserve to be in the final more than ever, look at who they had to play to make it there, PSG, Juventus and Bayern, all team that are the best of their own domestic league.

Yeah, some may argue that they were controversy in some of the game but for me, its seem like Real got nothing to reproach themselve, they played their game and did their best, reaching a third consecutive final fair and square.

Were they the best team in every leg they played? No. Were they the best team overall? Yes, for me they were.

They were better than PSG overall, better than Juventus in the first leg against them and didn't make as many error as Bayern. So for me and its not completely with joy that I say it (as a neutral, I wanted to see someone else in final), I do think Real deserved to there. Lets just hope the final will be a crackin awesome game. :)

@Golazo By the way, this is hillarious, I do hope Salah is coming for Real, it would be incredible, even if I have my reserve as well to say this is what will happen.

@Yvan21 Some self-critisism is alway's good. Its true that there were time where I thought Real Madrid might get beaten but in the end, the important thing is that you managed to get trough. Hopefully, Zidane will have more time to prepare for the final.

• History

To be sincere, I personally think that Real on the contrary deserve to be in the final more than ever, look at who they had to play to make it there, PSG, Juventus and Bayern, all team that are the best of their own domestic league.

Yeah, some may argue that they were controversy in some of the game but for me, its seem like Real got nothing to reproach themselve, they played their game and did their best, reaching a third consecutive final fair and square.

Were they the best team in every leg they played? No. Were they the best team overall? Yes, for me they were.

They were better than PSG overall, better than Juventus in the first leg against them and didn't make as many error as Bayern. So for me and its not completely with joy that I say it (as a neutral, I wanted to see someone else in final), I do think Real deserved to there. Lets just hope the final will be a crackin awesome game. :)

@Golazo By the way, this is hillarious, I do hope Salah is coming for Real, it would be incredible, even if I have my reserve as well to say this is what will happen.

@Yvan21 Some self-critisism is alway's good. Its true that there were time where I thought Real Madrid might get beaten but in the end, the important thing is that you won. Hopefully, Zidane will have more time to prepare for the final.

Pupper 6 years ago
Juventus 0 214

I don't know if that has ever been done before in the Champions League era.

Capello with Milan (93, 94 and 95) and Lippi with Juventus (96, 97 and 98) have done it before in the Champions League.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Agree with Raimondo in tje best team part. You cant be best team when you are cup special, dispite this is the most precious cup, you need to win domestically as well.

But I do know one thing, we have never seen it and we might not see such a team success in Europe for a long time. Despite also being one of the most controversial runs too.

IMO, this year, saying Real doesnt deserve to be in the final is a bit injustice. Take all the refs issue out of the equation, because fans would never agree all the ways. They might not be the best in all legs, but they stay cool and have done what the champ need to do, winning.

I do think Bayern were better in both legs, but they shot thier own feet, they have themselves to blame. Real seize the opportunities and goes through

Yvan21 6 years ago Edited
0 440

Well Golazo did say one of the best generations of a football team which is completely true if they do win it for a third time in a row. That'd be 4 champions league titles in 5 years. As reference, Barcelona has 5 in their entire history.

@Emobot He can start working on that tomorrow since La Liga is gone. And when are you gonna start supporting a team? lol you gotta suffer like the rest of us :p

• History

Well Golazo did say one of the best generations of a football team which is completely true if they do win it for a third time in a row. That'd be 4 champions league titles in 5 years. As reference, Barcelona has 5 in their entire history.

538 11432

@Yvan I'm starting to think about it more seriously nowaday, I should do another thread about it soon. :)

@Tuan Yeah, you got that right mate. :)

• History

@Yvan I'm starting to think about, I should do another thread about it soon.

@Yvan I'm starting to think about it more seriously nowaday, I should do another thread about it soon. :)

Yvan21 6 years ago
0 440

@Emobot Coo! Choose wisely

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

And why was James even subbed? I felt that after the goal he was fired up and hungry for more.

Same here.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Tough one for Jupp. He put Bayern in a fantastic position to win and his players let him down. It's a bit odd in a tie that Real is involved in, but this felt less about them winning and more about Bayern losing. Get your sh*t together for Liverpool, I'll want to kill myself if they actually win.

Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

That Bayern goalkeeper gave away that goal rather lightly

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

tbf bayern had been more dissappointing this season than last season. but still, it's real madrid with the best squad in the world. doesn't matter blunder or mistakes, this team will punish you, I don't care what the media has to say. it's better to watch tifo football than the media. this bayern side lacks efficiency in the final third, the board should prepare how the team is going to be after robben and ribery retired. it's great real madrid created records in ucl, but perez deserve it after so many trials and errors to be better than barcelona. pellegrini -> mourinho -> ancelotti -> rafa benitez -> zidane. for madridistas, just enjoy the moment like how catalan fans enjoy pep's era.

538 11432

@Sunflash Well, Liverpool still gotta make sure they don't pull a Barca against Roma. But yeah, lets hope for your sake Liverpool don't win CL. :P Not that I would mind personally, but you know, I hate it when your angry my good man. ;) And, it did felt more about Bayern losing than it did about Real winning.

@Marcus No joke, that was rather dissapointing to see.

@baldgenius Yeah, but the Real fan should wait a bit, they're might be even more enjoyment to come if they beat Liverpool. Seriously, if I made a book about this generation of Real Madrid, it would be titled: "How Real Madrid made CL look boring". Well, ok, thats isn't very nice. :P Maybe more something along the line of: "How Real Madrid made CL theirs".

• History

@Sunflash Well, Liverpool still gotta make sure they don't pull a Barca against Roma. But yeah, lets hope for your sake Liverpool don't win CL.

These are some very interesting opinions, I must say. Though I'm not surprised since a different set of rules, a different guidelines to follow to to determine if a team is the best - when the topic is Real Madrid and everyone else.

You see in the quarter final, return leg. Navas completely just gifted Juventus a goal, essentially handed it to them. Without it, Juventus would have never been in that position, causing a penalty in the box to .. keep that position undeservedly.

-- How many people mentioned this? In this forum? Not one, I don't think.

In the game against Bayern Munich, first leg. The goal that Kimmich scored, an inert, motionless stop sign you could find at any intersection could've saved that goal. It was a huuge mistake, as big as Marcelo giving him all that space to begin with. But.. how many people talked about THIS? That the goal they scored were due to a momentary loss off focus.. not brilliance of Bayern Munich.

The fact is, this argument can be made almost at any game, no matter the opponents or the level of football. When one team scores, more often than not, the other has made some kind of a mistake to let that happen. At the same time, an argument can be made that they scoring team pulled off something unexpected? A genius play?

You see, these kind of ridiculous arguments can be made easy. Why go so far to express your bias or double standard this way? Hide it behind a pretend intellectual debate?

If people here can do it, can we really blame the media?

• History

These are some very interesting opinions, I must say. Though I'm not surprised since a different set of rules, a different guidelines to follow to to determine if a team is the best - when the topic is Real Madrid and everyone else.

You see in the quarter final, return leg. Navas completely just gifted Juventus a goal, essentially handed it to them. Without it, Juventus would have never been in that position, causing a penalty in the box to .. keep that position undeservedly.

-- How many people mentioned this? In this forum? Not one, I don't think.

In the game against Bayern Munich, first leg. The goal that Kimmich scored, an inert, motionless stop sign you could find at any intersection could've saved that goal. It was a huuge mistake, as big as Marcelo giving him all that space to begin with. But.. how many people talked about THIS? That the goal they scored were due to a momentary loss off focus.. not brilliance of Bayern Munich.

The fact is, this argument can be made almost at any game, no matter the opponents or the level of football. When one team scores, more often than not, the other has made some kind of a mistake to let that happen. At the same time, an argument can be made that they scoring team pulled off something unexpected? A genius play?

You see, these kind of ridiculous arguments can be made easy. Why go so far to express your bias this way? Hide it behind a pretend intellectual debate?

If people here can do it, can we really blame the media?

The facts are this:

• Real Madrid is the first team to win back to back CL titles
  • Real won 3 of the last 4 CL titles.
    -Real made the final the following year.

They don't need to win to be considered the greatest of a generation. They already have earned the right to be called that when they peformed a feat every great team has been chasing since 1990 but failed.

But you know, obviously, it's better to win :D

Why not put some real distance between themselves, and all the rest? :)

Maaaan, I feel the arrogance juices flowing.. :D

• History

The facts are this:

• Real Madrid is the first team to win back to back CL titles
  • Real won 3 of the last 4 CL titles.
    -Real made the final the following year.

They don't need to win to be considered the greatest of a generation. They already have earned the right to be called that when they peformed a feat every great team has been chasing since 1990 and failed