Ronaldo Wins 5th Ballon d'Or
Pepeee 6 years ago
Arsenal, France 1 52

The greatest of all time.

enter image description here

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11426

@Pepeee TBF, if were talking about ballon d'or, messi also has five, so their both the greatest. But enough of that, let's all agree it was obviously gonna be him who would win it. Of course, the question remain, would he had won it if not for Real winning CL? I don't think so, I hope he thanked his team-mate for the price, cause let not lie, they helped a bit. :D Still congrats to CR7, best finisher in the world atm and pherhap even of all time.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Pepeee TBF, if were talking about ballon d'or, messi also has five, so their both the greatest. But enough of that, let's all agree it was obviously gonna be him who would win it. Of course, the question remain, would he had won it if not for Real winning CL? I don't think so, I hope he thanked his team-mate for the price, cause let not lie, they helped a bit. :D

Pepeee 6 years ago
Arsenal, France 1 52

Why are you asking that question? It's irrelevant. Real Madrid won the Champions League, and Ronaldo was the main reason they did. That's what happened, so it makes no sense asking that question.

Yvan21 6 years ago
0 440

Nothing unexpected about this. Let's see who gets their 6th first :p Also, it's a hypothetical question Pepeee, come on now. Even though this is an individual trophy, the collective achievements do play a big role. Madrid having a really good season pretty much guaranteed his Ballon D'or beyond any doubt. It's tough to say if he would have won it if Madrid didn't have the season they had because he's won it in the past without having won the Champions League or the league title so I'm not so sure what would have happened.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Very much expected, history was made for Real Madrid and CR7 broke so many records...

Pepeee 6 years ago
Arsenal, France 1 52

Saw this picture on Twitter. Super-cool.

enter image description here

ramaboy10 6 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

The greatest of all time.

Drag

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11426

@Pepeee I respect Ronaldo but I won't lie, he is not my favorite player, I'm a bit conflicted about him to say the least. When things go his way, he is an incredible player. However, if thing go against him, he is a bit annoying. I don't know if you saw the game against BVB? He moaned in that game quite a bit despite it not being very important (Madrid already qualified on second spot and BVB not being able to catch them back no matter what). It just that kind of thing that bother me and stop me from apreciating as much as I would like. Don't get me wrong however, I really do believe Messi and Ronaldo are both the 2 greatest of their time and I do believe CR7 is the very best goalscorer in the world.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Eh. Michael Jordan is the indisputable best basketball player of all-time. He was also a gigantic asshole. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Emo you are biased against CR7 so obviously you will find things to complain about.
For you it's annoying that he moaned because that game isn't very important but for others that shows how much passion and will he still has for the game even after winning so much and playing at the highest level with no injuries nor stops for so many years...

raimondo90 6 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Now that they are finally tied I hope they start awarding this trophy to other players especially player who are not just scoring goals. The last 10 years have been so darn predictable and some very questionable.

Pupper 6 years ago
Juventus 0 214

I still don't get it how Ronaldo is tied with Messi.. Just goes to show how silly these awards have become, I guess.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

I dont have a word for these awards anymore. In all fairness in the last 10 years, it has became a popularity contest, or a striker awards.

I stand my point few months back, Ronaldo does not deserve this prize this year, nor Messi nor Neymar. These guys fan are too damn agreesive, there are too little room for proper discussion. Especially when it comes to Messi or Ronaldo.

The much deserving players are pushed down the line due to lower votes because of their position and less popular icon. This has happened time and time again.

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

@Pup

Ronaldo has won four of the last five. As good as Messi has been, particularly that one season that he won it, the last five years have been incredibly ridiculous from Ronaldo. It seems like as soon as he started slowing down a little bit, he became impossible in the UCL.

While Messi's period of domination was incredible, people do like to ignore the modern reality for the (nostalgia?) of that time. Ronaldo isn't as likeable, that's for sure, but the last five years have been one of the most dominant for a single player in all of the history for this sport. When you consider how that this award changed hands literally every year, to just being won by these two, we may not see this ever again when they retire. Let's just sit back and enjoy what we have, and what future generations likely will not. Our children will see these records of dominance and ask us, and I hope we are all able to say "they were the greatest."

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I think the award should have gone either two ways for specific reasons...

1. Messi for consistency throughout 2017 despite lack of success and lack of major performances or...
  2. Ronaldo for major performances and success in 2017 despite recent lack of consistency in La Liga.

From 2008-11 and 2014-16, we can see that Ronaldo and Messi are largely neck-to-neck, and the defining factor for the Ballon d'Or winner was success. The only exceptions were 2012 and 2013, where Messi and Ronaldo (respectively) outperformed the other by a landslide. Seeing that the winner was ultimately decided by who helped their team win the most significant trophies, it should not be surprising to see Ronaldo win his 5th this time around. The decision criteria are just about the same.

Additionally, I believe that the people who are desperately wanting a new winner should have a bit more patience. I still think Messi and Ronaldo are on a plane above the others... it's not just their monstrous goal-scoring prowess. Granted, I do believe that 2010 and 2013 ought to have had different winners, but we should relish the fact that we have witnessed a decade-long battle that has, ultimately, yielded a draw thus far. It is a shame for world-class players like Iniesta, Xavi, Torres, Ibrahimovic, Muller, Kroos, Modric, Ramos, Neuer, Buffon, Casillas, etc. who could have all had a solid chance of either winning or finishing in the final 3 for Ballon d'or... but that just speaks volumes for Messi and Ronaldo's greatness IMO.

I still believe Messi just edges Ronaldo throughout their career, despite what the Ballon d'Ors may say, but it is still very entertaining to watch these two pursue more greatness while they're into their 30's.

For all we know, they might end up as being regarded as #1 and #2 all-time...

Dynastian98 6 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

For those who discredit Ronaldo for his passion and immense self-confidence: grow up. It's quite petty and immature to discredit a man's accomplishments and contributions towards the sport (and as a human being off the pitch) by how you perceive his exaggerated body language on the pitch. This is literally the only reason people dislike Ronaldo nowadays. He's quit the petty play-acting, he's stopped saying arrogant sh*t, and he's stopped being selfish ages ago.

Literally the ONLY reason people discredit him now is because of his body language on the pitch. Unbelievable.

I never see such negativity when Messi wins a Ballon d'Or. It's only when Ronaldo wins that the assholes come running.

• History

For those who discredit Ronaldo for his passion and immense self-confidence: grow up. It's quite petty and immature to discredit a man's accomplishments and contributions towards the sport (and as a human being off the pitch) by how you perceive his exaggerated body language on the pitch. This is literally the only reason people dislike Ronaldo nowadays. He's quit the petty play-acting, he's stopped saying arrogant sh*t, and he's stopped being selfish ages ago.

Literally the ONLY reason people discredit him now is because of his body language on the pitch. Unbelievable.

538 11426

@Golazo Don't get me wrong, I absolutely know that, Ronaldo want to win every game he play and thats great, I respect that. That show that he care. Doesn't take away the fact its not something you like to see anyone does. Yes, I'm biased, yeah, I like Messi better. But I recognise it and I've been doing a lot of effort to change my opinion of Ronaldo and I think that in the future, I'm might apreciate him even more. I just wish people tried to see the positive commentary that I made instead of just the negative. :( Obviously, people just focus on the fact I'm not saying stuff like "the best player ever" or "no one compare", well sorry, I can't say stuff I don't truly believe. :( Btw, I did say I thought Ronaldo was propably the best goalscorer of all time but clearly, this isn't enough to protect me from claim of being obviously bias.

• History

@Golazo Don't get me wrong, I absolutely know that, Ronaldo want to win every game he play and thats great, I respect that. That show that he care. Doesn't take away the fact its not something you like to see anyone does. Yes, I'm biased, yeah, I like Messi better. But I recognise it and I've been doing a lot of effort to change my opinion of Ronaldo and I think that in the future, I'm might apreciate him even more. I just wish people tried to see the positive commentary that I made instead of just the negative. :( Obviously, people just focus on the fact I'm not saying stuff like "the best player ever" or "no one compare", well sorry, I can't say stuff I don't truly believe. :( Btw, I did say I thought Ronaldo was propably the best goalscorer of all time but clearly, this isn't enough to protect me from claim of being bias.

Pepeee 6 years ago
Arsenal, France 1 52

CR will play until he's 40. Anybody who hoped this was the dude's final ball will experience a lot of frustration in the coming years. He's up there with the likes of Ali, Jordan and Bolt already. By the time he calls it a day, most will rate him the greatest athlete of all time.

538 11426

@Dynast So I'm being an asshole cause I'm noting the fact he isn't serene at all and act a bit like child when thing doesn't goes his way and that despite saying he was the best goalscorer in the world atm nevertheless? Well, excuse me, the asshole will shut up when it come to Ronaldo so hopefully it won't be as much as a bother for you guys. ;P

(Hopefully, your weren't actually thinking about me when you used that term, if you did... well, that mean I'm savage asshole cow now. XD)

@Pepeee I don't mind that but I wonder if the same won't be true for Messi, I think the two of them will still be playing at top level for at least a good 5 year and more.

• History

@Dynast So I'm being an asshole cause I'm noting the fact he isn't serene at all and act a bit like child when thing doesn't goes his way and that despite saying he was the best goalscorer in the world atm nevertheless? Well, excuse me, the asshole will shut up when it come to Ronaldo so hopefully it won't be as much as a bother for you guys. ;P

(Hopefully, your weren't actually thinking about me when you used that term, if you did... well, that mean I'm savage asshole cow now. XD)

liomessi10 6 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

Barca need to switch it on now or messi wont go ahead. As an individual player i think messi played better.

Pupper 6 years ago
Juventus 0 214

^Of course Messi was better individually, he had one of his best seasons ever. Couldn't have done anything more to save Barca in CL or to win La Liga (without Messi, Barca would be fighting with Atletico and Sevilla). There have never been a greater difference in terms of individual performances between Messi and Ronaldo for the last 3 years.

This award has turned more into a team performance award than anything else. Ronaldo have played for the best team in the 4 recent years, and have then won 4 of the 5 latest ballon dors. Only exception was in 2015 when Barcelona won the Champions League.

If anything, Modric, Ramos or Marcelo deserved it more than Ronaldo. Hell, maybe even Isco.