Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The Best Centreback Partnership of the 2017-18 Season?
PogbaTekkerz 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 3 92

There have been many great centreback partnerships over the years. Ferdinand and vidic. Desailly and Blanc. Campbell and Toure. The list goes on... But who this season, in the world, has produced a solid, game in game out, effective performance in the heart of defence. I personally cant think of any stand out partnership performers this season, however there are many lone defenders that deserve a mention.

Also, who would you make as a defensive partnership hybrid if you had every defender at your disposal?

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

Thats actually a very good question, obviously, in the few last seasons, we had the like of Pepe and Ramos, Pique and Mascherano, Chiellini and Bonuci but we lost a lot of those partnerships recently.

One notable partnership that deserve some light is Boateng and Hummels from Bayern, those guy won WC 2014 with germany and have combined well since the former BVB captained joined Bayer.

If I could make an hybrid partnership between any defender, I think I would go wih Godin and Ramos, haven't watched much of the former but the guy is the most regular CB in the team with the most clean sheet of the top 5 european team, as for Ramos, this guy is a beast, he rarely ever lose a one on one.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Thats actually a very good question, obviously, in the last seasons, we had the like of Pepe and Ramos, Pique and Mascherano, Chiellini and Bonuci but we lost a lot of those partnerships recently. If I could make an hybrid partnership between any defender, I think I would go wih Godin and Ramos, haven't watched much of the former but the guy is the most regular CB in the team with the most clean sheet of the top 5 european team, as for Ramos, this guy is a beast, he rarely ever lose a one on one.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

This is a hard one because liverpool's defense are rarely tested.
I have to give it to ramos varane.

Golazo111 6 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Chiellini & Benatia
Pique & Umtiti

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

Ramos and Varane in CL
Chiellini and Benatia in Serie A
Pique and Umtiti in La Liga
Boateng and Hummels in Bundesliga
Mourinho and his Bus in EPL (Banter mates, please don't hurt me) XD

amir_keal 6 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Also, who would you make as a defensive partnership hybrid if you had every defender at your disposal?

I don't know if this partnership would work, but I would like to see Bonucci and Ramos next to each other for some reason.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@amir_keal Agreed, that would be great to see! :D When are they making a Southern European All-Star (Liga Nos, La Liga, Série A) vs Northern European All-Star game (EPL, Eredivisie, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga)? That would be as sick as CL final. :U

Yvan21 6 years ago
0 440

Godin and Gimenez or Godin and Savic. I like more the first one because they play together for Uruguay too and that makes it a stronger partnership.

538 11432

@Yvan21 True that, but sadly, Gimenez was injured a bit this season and he didn't play that many game. :(

• History

@Yvan21 True that, but sadly, Gimenez was injured a bit this season he didn't play that many game. :(

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

Boateng and Hummels are obvious one in my mind. Alderwireld and Vertongen are a pair that haven't been mentioned yet, the last few years for sure with them, this year not as much.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Sunflash He did say this season. Thats why I mentioned mostly only Boateng and Hummels. Also, nobody is going to lol at my United joke?

Dynastian98 6 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Varane and Ramos are exceptional. I'm biased, though.

Also never thought Pique has ever formed a decent partnership with anyone since Puyol.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

Well, he technically done a pretty good job in La Liga with Umtiti this season. But yeah, Mascherano and him wasn't a good example when I think about it. XD

PogbaTekkerz 6 years ago
Manchester United, England 3 92

@embot yeh good choice for ramos and godin, however they are both fairly dirty solid defenders...neither with much pace....this is biased but i would add bailly...purely because he seems to have unrealistic speed for a central defender....and i do watch every game he plays obvo:)
one i would actually like to see is alderwierald and Koulibaly....not really watched the latter much...just know hes totally wik and both defenders really appeal to me

thanks for all the posts...keep the suggestions coming:)

Eden17Hazard17 6 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Marcano and Felipe?

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Ramos and Varane
Benatia and Chiellini
Hummels and Sule (better than Boateng this season - sadly Boateng is more in hospital than on field)
Godin and Savić
Mee and Tarkowski (Burnley's system helps them but same could be said about Atletico or Juventus, I think they are really top 6 PL quality)

As for second question, I'd really like to see Koulibaly next to Hummels, both physically strong centerbacks, Koulibaly defo knows how to participate in build-up, and is true rock considering best partner he has in Napoli is Albiol...

@Sun, although Alderweireld had injury against RM I think, still Vertonghen-Sanchez is fantastic duo.

@Eden, my Portuguese mate says Jardel-Dias are better but you can't ask anyone Portuguese because they're filled with bias to the top (talking 'bout top 3 and stuff around them).

Aubameyang 6 years ago
Arsenal, Gabon 3 512

Ramos and varane no doubt about it.

tuan_jinn 6 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Varane and Ramos.

Benatia and Chiellini

Boateng and Hummels

I dont think Pique and Umtiti is a good partnership, not proven yet. They are decent together, and much better than years before. But, It's more of a tactical benefit. They choke as soon as time is hard, or a hard game, or when up front doesn't have enough pressure on the opponent.

538 11432

@tuan_jinn You right, we tend to believe they are because of Barcelona defensive record this season but the truth is that Barca owe that mostly to Valverde and Ter Stegen. The former has done great job defensively for the team and the latter has improved quite a lot this season and has regain his place as the first choice gk in the team.

• History

@tuan_jinn You right, we tend to believe they are because of Barcelona defensive record this season but the truth is that Barca owe that mostly to Valverde and Ter Stegen. The former has done great job defensively for the team and the latter has improved quite a lot this year.