Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Wenger to break Arsenal transfer record!
quikzyyy 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal 429 9002

Long-serving Arsenal director Lord Harris of Peckham insists manager Arsene Wenger will be fully backed by the board again this summer.

Wenger broke the club's transfer record last August when he signed midfielder Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid for £42m.

Lord Harris is adamant Arsenal remain ambition to challenge for the top honours, and he claims there are very few players the club would not be able to afford.

"We want to win. We don't want to be second, we don't want to be third and we don't want to be fourth.
"We will support Arsene with the players he wants to buy. He has always been encouraged to spend."

Arsenal have been linked with former midfielder Cesc Fabregas, who is apparently surplus to requirements at Barcelona.
Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann is another reported target, while Toulouse right-back Serge Aurier is an option should out-of-contract Bacary Sagna leave.

Although Lord Harris refused to divulge the budget available to Wenger, he did confirm the club would be willing to allow Wenger to once more break the club's transfer record.

"We would. It would be easy," Lord Harris said. "There is a lot of paper talk. I wouldn't say it is £100m, I wouldn't say it's £50m and I wouldn't say it's £150m.

"If Arsene has asked for any player then we have always backed him to go and buy. With the exception of Messi, Ronaldo or Bale, we could buy most players."

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Long-serving Arsenal director Lord Harris of Peckham insists manager Arsene Wenger will be fully backed by the board again this summer.

Wenger broke the club's transfer record last August when he signed midfielder Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid for £42m.

Lord Harris is adamant Arsenal remain ambition to challenge for the top honours, and he claims there are very few players the club would not be able to afford.

"We want to win. We don't want to be second, we don't want to be third and we don't want to be fourth.

"We will support Arsene with the players he wants to buy. He has always been encouraged to spend."

Arsenal have been linked with former midfielder Cesc Fabregas, who is apparently surplus to requirements at Barcelona. Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann is another reported target, while Toulouse right-back Serge Aurier is an option should out-of-contract Bacary Sagna leave.

Although Lord Harris refused to divulge the budget available to Wenger, he did confirm the club would be willing to allow Wenger to once more break the club's transfer record.

"We would. It would be easy," Lord Harris said. "There is a lot of paper talk. I wouldn't say it is £100m, I wouldn't say it's £50m and I wouldn't say it's £150m.

"If Arsene has asked for any player then we have always backed him to go and buy. With the exception of Messi, Ronaldo or Bale, we could buy most players."