Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Who is the better Ronaldo: The Brazilian Ronaldo or Cristiano Ronaldo?? :)
DarioUtd 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United 27 493

Well, i am going to go with Mr. Cristiano Ronaldo, because of his long shots and his other strengths that @Amir_Keal mentioned in his thread 'Cristiano Ronaldo'. However, i do realise, that the Brazilian Ronaldo "The Phenomenon" was a lethal striker, a deadly finisher and had many other strengths as well... It was a hard decision to make, but i had to go with Cristiano...

Leave your thoughts and opinions down below... :)

PS. I got the idea from the homepage of FootyRoom - Sorry.. :)

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Well, it is a hard decision to make, but i am going to go with Mr. Cristiano Ronaldo, because of his long shots and his other strengths that @Amir_Keal mentioned in his thread 'Cristiano Ronaldo'. However, i do realise though, that the Brazilian Ronaldo "The Phenomenon" was a lethal striker and a deadly finisher and had many strengths as well... But, as i said, it was a hard decision to make, but i had to go with Cristiano...

Well, i am going to go with Mr. Cristiano Ronaldo, because of his long shots and his other strengths that @Amir_Keal mentioned in his thread 'Cristiano Ronaldo'. However, i do realise though, that the Brazilian Ronaldo "The Phenomenon" was a lethal striker, a deadly finisher and had many other strengths as well... But, it was a hard decision to make, but i had to go with Cristiano...

Well, i am going to go with Mr. Cristiano Ronaldo, because of his long shots and his other strengths that @Amir_Keal mentioned in his thread 'Cristiano Ronaldo'. However, i do realise, that the Brazilian Ronaldo "The Phenomenon" was a lethal striker, a deadly finisher and had many other strengths as well... But, it was a hard decision to make, but i had to go with Cristiano...

Well, i am going to go with Mr. Cristiano Ronaldo, because of his long shots and his other strengths that @Amir_Keal mentioned in his thread 'Cristiano Ronaldo'. However, i do realise, that the Brazilian Ronaldo "The Phenomenon" was a lethal striker, a deadly finisher and had many other strengths as well... It was a hard decision to make, but i had to go with Cristiano...

Comments
ramaboy10 7 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

CR7 is pure goalscorer and a damn good one. He is probably THE best goalscorer of all time... much better than Pele in my opinion. His goal : game ratio in this day and age speaks for itself to be honest. Not only that, the man is a brilliant athlete and now conquered Europe.

I've never seen R9 play live and I've never seen the pure impact he had in games, but from what I've read he was the most feared striker in the world.

DarioUtd 7 years ago
Manchester United 27 493

Yeah i totally agree mate!! So true as well..

I never saw him play live either but i've seen some of the games when he was incredible... there is a game on Legendary Matches when he scored a hat-trick against Man Utd when Real Madrid lost 4-3... Quite unbelievable!! :)

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Hear me out here. I think I made this argument a few years back in some random thread...

If you look at their legacies, it becomes very obvious that Cristiano has accomplished more. Here's what you see with CR7 at age 31 and Ronaldo's full career in Europe (bottom of my comment)... Ronaldo has only won 2 league titles. Moreover, he has never played in a Champions League final, much less won one. He has scored less than 20 goals in the Champions League.... Cristiano himself almost scored 20 in one season twice.

Ronaldo has broken the 30-goal barrier four times, with one of those seasons being his 47-goal season in Barcelona. Cristiano has broken the 50-goal barrier six times in a row - an accomplishment that no one has ever achieved in the history of football. It's not even debatable who is the better goalscorer. That's like comparing Messi with Henry. Henry is a legendary goalscorer, but Messi is just frankly better at getting the job done. Additionally, Cristiano in his prime was considered to be an equal talent to Lionel Messi. Both these speedy bastards could rip defenses apart however they wished to at a moment's whim. But anyone who watched Ronaldo live knows that he was f**king terrifying too.

Now when Ronaldo moved to Italy, the best league in the world at the time, he scored 34 goals in his first season - an outstanding record considering that Serie A was renowned for its defense at the time. He would have progressed even further but those ligament tears absolutely destroyed him. This is something you cannot blame him for at all. This is the reason his stats are so distorted, despite the fact that people consider him to be one of the greatest forwards of all time. If he didn't have the injuries that literally demolished his career, he would have the statistics to back up the talent.

I think only people who have never watched Ronaldo live would be unable to understand why Ronaldo's fans find it difficult to recognize CR7 as having surpassed him in accomplishments. Ronaldo was so damn good that he was almost instantly touted as the man who will surpass Pele. Take that in: surpass Pele. Not 'the next Pele'. The man who will surpass Pele. If not for his injuries, I'd dare say that he genuinely would have. To have all that potential just ripped apart with a few injuries is heart-breaking. CR7 has truly surpassed Ronaldo's legacy, no doubt, but I genuinely believe that, as unstoppable as Cristiano was, Ronaldo was better. Cristiano is the greater player, but Ronaldo was the better talent. You don't get the nickname "The Phenomenon" for nothing.

On a side note, the one place Ronaldo has one over CR is in the international stage. Ronaldo has 15 goals in the WC (former record until my man Klose broke it), two World Cup medals (came second once), two Copa America's (came second once), and a Confederations Cup. Cristiano, no doubt, has had nowhere near the talent that Ronaldo was blessed with during his time with Brazil, but still has a very admirable record with Portugal. His lone trophy, and Portugal's lone trophy, is the Euro, but he has also come second and third in the Euros in '04 and '12, and reached the semi-finals of the World Cup in '06 and finished fourth. Not bad considering he peaked after the Golden Age for Portugal had already retired internationally.

Stats in Europe

Ronaldo

2 League Titles
3 Domestic Cups
2 SuperCups
0 Champions League
1 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
1 UEFA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

vs. CR7

4 League Titles
5 Domestic Cups
2 SuperCups
3 Champions Leagues
2 UEFA Super Cups
3 FIFA Club World Cups

Goals

Ronaldo

Club - 352 in 518
Brazil - 62 in 98
Total - 414 in 616

Cristiano

Club - 506 in 697
Country - 68 in 136
Total - 574 in 733

• History

Hear me out here. I think I made this argument a few years back in some random thread...

If you look at their legacies, it becomes very obvious that Cristiano has accomplished more. Here's what you see with CR7 at age 31 and Ronaldo's full career in Europe (bottom of my comment)... Ronaldo has only won 2 league titles. Moreover, he has never played in a Champions League final, much less won one. He has scored less than 20 goals in the Champions League.... Cristiano himself almost scored 20 in one season twice.

Ronaldo has broken the 30-goal barrier four times, with one of those seasons being his 47-goal season in Barcelona. Cristiano has broken the 50-goal barrier six times in a row - an accomplishment that no one has ever achieved in the history of football. It's not even debatable who is the better goalscorer. That's like comparing Messi with Henry. Henry is a legendary goalscorer, but Messi is just frankly better at getting the job done. Additionally, Cristiano in his prime was considered to be an equal talent to Lionel Messi. Both these speedy bastards could rip defenses apart however they wished to at a moment's whim.

Now when Ronaldo moved to Italy, the best league in the world at the time, he scored 34 goals in his first season - an outstanding record considering that Serie A was renowned for its defense at the time. He would have progressed even further but those ligament tears absolutely destroyed him. This is something you cannot blame him for at all. This is the reason his stats are so distorted, despite the fact that people consider him to be one of the greatest forwards of all time. If he didn't have the injuries that literally demolished his career, he would have the statistics to back up the talent.

I think only people who have never watched Ronaldo live would be unable to understand why Ronaldo's fans find it difficult to recognize CR7 as having surpassed him in accomplishments. Ronaldo was so damn good that he was almost instantly touted as the man who will surpass Pele. Take that in: surpass Pele. Not 'the next Pele'. The man who will surpass Pele. If not for his injuries, I'd dare say that he genuinely would have. To have all that potential just ripped apart with a few injuries is heart-breaking. CR7 has truly surpassed Ronaldo's legacy, no doubt, but I genuinely believe that, as unstoppable as Cristiano was, Ronaldo was better. You don't get the nickname "The Phenomenon" for nothing.

On a side note, the one place Ronaldo has one over CR is in the international stage. Ronaldo has 15 goals in the WC (former record until my man Klose broke it), two World Cup medals (came second once), two Copa America's (came second once), and a Confederations Cup. Cristiano, no doubt, has had nowhere near the talent that Ronaldo was blessed with during his time with Brazil, but still has a very admirable record with Portugal. His lone trophy, and Portugal's lone trophy, is the Euro, but he has also come second and third in the Euros in '04 and '12, and reached the semi-finals of the World Cup in '06 and finished fourth. Not bad considering he peaked after the Golden Age for Portugal had already retired internationally.

Stats in Europe

Ronaldo

2 League Titles
3 Domestic Cups
2 SuperCups
0 Champions League
1 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
1 UEFA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

vs. CR7

4 League Titles
5 Domestic Cups
2 SuperCups
3 Champions Leagues
2 UEFA Super Cups
3 FIFA Club World Cups

Ronaldo has broken the 30-goal barrier four times, with one of those seasons being his 47-goal season in Barcelona. Cristiano has broken the 50-goal barrier six times in a row - an accomplishment that no one has ever achieved in the history of football. It's not even debatable who is the better goalscorer. That's like comparing Messi with Henry. Henry is a legendary goalscorer, but Messi is just frankly better at getting the job done. Additionally, Cristiano in his prime was considered to be an equal talent to Lionel Messi. Both these speedy bastards could rip defenses apart however they wished to at a moment's whim.

I think only people who have never watched Ronaldo live would be unable to understand why Ronaldo's fans find it difficult to recognize CR7 as having surpassed him in accomplishments. Ronaldo was so damn good that he was almost instantly touted as the man who will surpass Pele. Take that in: surpass Pele. Not 'the next Pele'. The man who will surpass Pele. If not for his injuries, I'd dare say that he genuinely would have. To have all that potential just ripped apart with a few injuries is heart-breaking. CR7 has truly surpassed Ronaldo's legacy, no doubt, but I genuinely believe that, as unstoppable as Cristiano was, Ronaldo was better. Cristiano is the greater player, but Ronaldo was the better talent. You don't get the nickname "The Phenomenon" for nothing.

Stats in Europe

Ronaldo

2 League Titles
3 Domestic Cups
2 SuperCups
0 Champions League
1 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
1 UEFA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

vs. CR7

4 League Titles
5 Domestic Cups
2 SuperCups
3 Champions Leagues
2 UEFA Super Cups
3 FIFA Club World Cups

Stats in Europe

Ronaldo

2 League Titles
3 Domestic Cups
2 SuperCups
0 Champions League
1 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
1 UEFA Cup
1 Intercontinental Cup

vs. CR7

4 League Titles
5 Domestic Cups
2 SuperCups
3 Champions Leagues
2 UEFA Super Cups
3 FIFA Club World Cups

Goals

Ronaldo

Club - 352 in 518
Brazil - 62 in 98
Total - 414 in 616

Cristiano

Club - 506 in 697
Country - 68 in 136
Total - 574 in 733

DarioUtd 7 years ago
Manchester United 27 493

@Dynastian98 - Very sorry about that... i searched if the thread had been made before, but it didn't come up... Sorry.
Again, i totally agree... Very good comment, thank you! That's why i went for CR7 over Ronaldo. :)

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Dario

To be honest, I don't even remember what the thread was about. No worries, pal.

DarioUtd 7 years ago
Manchester United 27 493

Oh i see! Phew, i thought i'd upset a Mod!! :)

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Lmao, you don't have to worry about upsetting the mods. We naturally just come to the forum to chill and see what's up. The only time we get serious is in the comments sections of the videos because that's where the comments just turn into cancer.

DarioUtd 7 years ago
Manchester United 27 493

Hahaha!! Sorry, i'm a weirdo!! Lol!! :DDD
Yeah ok!! Well anyway, keep up the good work mate, you are doing a bally good job!! :)

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

Have to agree with Dynast, CR7 is the best one, if only because of his consistency in term of injury. Brazilian Ronaldo sadly had a lot of trouble with injury at one point and its hurted his career in its later stage. Personally, I think both were really great player but its one of those comparison wich is hard to make because both played and suceeded at different time.

@DarioUtd Don't worry about it lad. This is a good thread you made there. ;)

decentK 7 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

R9 for me, it's just a personal preference, I have nothing to back it up.

DarioUtd 7 years ago
Manchester United 27 493

Ok, that's awesome lads!! Thanks a lot!! Your kindness is much appreciated!! :)

Madridista11 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

This one is a tough one for me. Fortunately, I was able to watch the twilight of Ronaldo's career and to me it didn't even feel like he was in decline. The man is one of the more talented players we have ever seen as @Dynastian has mentioned.

To be honest, that's something I always thought about. Not Ronaldo v Ronaldo specifically, more like how would the 90's and 00's players do in today's game. I'll make a separate thread on that one day.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think Cristiano had the better career, but Ronaldo is the better player.

• History

This one is a tough one for me. Fortunately, I was able to watch the twilight of Ronaldo's career and to me it didn't even feel like he was in decline. The man is one of the more talented players we have ever seen as @Dynastian has mentioned.

To be honest, that's something I always thought about. Not Ronaldo v Ronaldo specifically, more like how will the 90's and 00's players would do in today's game. I'll make a seperate thread on that one day.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think Cristiano had the better career, but Ronaldo is the better player.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

CR7 by any metric you want.

Madridista11 7 years ago

@SunFlash Conversion rate? Get yourself out of this one tough guy!

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Madridista11

A lot of Ronaldo's chances were one-on-one's though. Cristiano was out on the wing a lot, so it was common for him to swing in shots from distance in an attempt to score.

SunFlash 7 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

It's a mitigating factor for sure. The highest conversion rate in Europe last season was Pizarro because he simply didn't try anything and scored all of his goals from inside the six yard box.

Of course, Ronaldo was one of the most clinical strikers in history. Not taking that away from him, but Dynastian is right, C.Ronaldo scores 10 or so goals a season just from 30-yard shots and low percentage attempts. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, as ol Jordan used to say.

• History

It's a mitigating factor for sure. The highest conversion rate in Europe last season was Pizarro because he simply didn't try anything and scored all of his goals from inside the six yard box.

Of course, Ronaldo was one of the most clinical strikers in history. Not taking that away from him, but Dynastian is right, Ronaldo scores 10 or so goals a season just from 30-yard shots and low percentage attempts. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, as ol Jordan used to say.

Madridista11 7 years ago

@Both That wasn't a dig at Ronaldo, I was just having fun. But on a more serious note, I think Ronaldo's game IQ is up there EXCEPT for shot-taking if that makes sense.

The thing about players like Ronaldo is that they are given the freedom to roam around the pitch so he isn't restricted to shoot form the wing. @Dyn it is true that as a winger he'd miss more chances but I can argue that also as a winger it is not his job to shoot that many shots. Moreover, Messi started out at the RW and had a better conversion rate, changed into a CF and had a better conversion rate, then came back to his position and STILL has a better conversion rate. Ronaldo at one point was in love with shooting form 30-40 yards out and that has really hurt his shot-to-goal ratio.

@Sun I believe it was Wayne Gretzky who said that but that doesn't matter, it is a very wise statement. I just want you to look at this picture from January of 2016. Look at Cristiano, Messi, and Neymar's stats. All of the 3 are wingers. Yes Ronaldo has more shots on target, but that is expected. I also expect of him to have at LEAST 6-9 more goals but he only has two goals over them. I hope my message is clear. I need to learn how to use fewer words to send a message :)

enter image description here

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

But their playing style and method of shooting are very different. A huge difference between Ronaldo and the others is that he shoots with his head. He's one of the best headers we have ever seen, and headers naturally have a lower chance of going in than shots with your feet. MSN do not head the ball at all (very, very rarely), and most of their shots come in the final third as a natural result of their playing style. They mostly just run up at the goalkeeper, and pass the ball to the team-mate running alongside them for an easy tap-in. Most of MSN's goals are tap-ins, which is their intent in the first place. Hence the better conversion rate than Ronaldo.

The argument for Aduriz is that he's simply a target man. His job is to just stay in the box and poke balls in.

ashwin1729 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

Whatever people say, you can not simply deny the impact of fear factor and respect that the original Ronaldo commanded in opponents, which will never be matched by CR7. CR7 is a freaking robot, no denying in his skill. But there's more to the game than just scoring goals on a daily basis; people remember how you played the big games. UCL group stages these days is a joke with teams of lower caliber qualifying due to UEFA rules. I still remember the jerk scoring a hat-trick against United in Quarter final of 2002 or 2003 UCL-at Old trafford. In the 2nd leg. I don't remember if anyone else did that against Fergie at Old Trafford! That alone should speak volumes of how good he was. He won the game for Real in the first leg of semi final against Juventus...If it weren't for his injury and fitness issues along with Nedved going crazy in 2nd leg at Juventus, Real would have repeated the UCL triumph.

Tell me how well Ronnie does on the big stage, under pressure. Fat Ronaldo was a beast and had a hunger for the big stage. Its like Cantona- the swag and intensity he played with-never the best goal scorer in history, but the impact he had on the game was immense. He changed games for United. That's what Ronaldo was for both Brazil and Inter.

For me, there will always be one Ronaldo, and I will always regret that he never played for Manchester United.

Madridista11 7 years ago

@Dynastian great points you've made there I can hardly disagree. The one thing I'd like to mention is that Ronaldo, no matter his play style, take too many shots that are not needed. With the way things are going, he is actually playing two positions. Adruiz and Suarez were no brought to the argument because as you said they are strikers, so no need to worry about that.

@ashwin well, damn. You have to be one of the few utd fans who feels this way about Cristiano.

For me, there will always be one Ronaldo, and I will always regret that he never played for Manchester United.

I know it isn't your intention, but do you realize how ungrateful you sound? No disrespect to you bro, but Cristiano has done so much for The Red Devils. Is this the exact way you feel, or did I misunderstand you?