Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

World Cup's Europa League
billywalendom 6 years ago
21 186

Anyone heard of a tournament next year with USA, Italy, Netherlands, Chile, and other top eliminated teams are supposed to play? Is it more than just a rumor?

Comments
Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

Here what I found:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4919906/us-soccer-world-cup-holland-ghana-chile/

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42001722

So while it might not happen and there is a FIFA might end up not allowing it, it seem like it isn't only a rumor and there is actually people thinking of making it a reality. Sound promising anyway, wouldn't mind to see it happen, it could be very interesting and a good opportunity to gather some decent amount of fame and glory despite missing on the WC. The winning team would be well seen at least. :D

Edit: Heard the the name as of now was National Invitational Tournament.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Here what I found:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4919906/us-soccer-world-cup-holland-ghana-chile/

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42001722

So while it might not happen and there is a FIFA might end up not allowing it, it seem like it isn't only a rumor and there is actually people thinking of making it a reality. Sound promising anyway, wouldn't mind to see it happen, it could be very interesting and a good opportunity to gather some decent amount of fame and glory despite missing on the WC. The winning team would be well seen at least. :D

Pupper 6 years ago
Juventus 0 214

Just a loser's cup in my opinion. Who would even want to watch that tournament during the world cup? Nothing at stake and would feel like you're watching friendlies. People are barely watching the Confederations Cup as well, for obvious reasons.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@Pupper If the people organising that had any brain, they try and arrange so that tournament take place after or before the WC. It could be kind of a friendly tournament for teams who won't go to the WC, good way to bring some high level football to more people than only those who are going to Russia and for the team participating, its a good chance to try new thing and try new player. I don't see the harm in it. Italy, Netherlan, Chile and USA fan would all watch the tournament with attention and that alone could bring some profit even if its propably won't get half as popular as the WC is going to be. Still, its better than nothing for those team. ;)

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

I would watch it for sure. It's a version of what the NCAA has here in the US with basketball. It's also similar to the Europa League for Euro club teams who don't make the Champions League.

Sure it will be considered a second-tier tournament, but who passes up watching Italy, Holland, Chile, and yes even the US in games like this? It would get lots of TV coverage, especially if they play it before the World Cup. We can get our fix of footy before the big event.

I hope it happens but it currently still is a rumor.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@DarthFooty 100% agree, I really hope it happen, it would be awesome. Let say it happen though, how many team would be invited and what format do you think the tournament would have? :D

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

@Emobot7 We know of the 4 teams already and that could be it's own mini tourney. Each team plays each other and the team with the most points wins the whole thing, (No ties, go to PK's to ensure a winner)

Now, I would love to see invites go to each region and have a tournament of 8 to 16 teams, but out the gate, there might not be enough interest. I would take a 4 team tourney all the same though.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@DarthFooty True, even if was only those four, it would be incredible in itself. Actually, now that I think about it, it would be more similar to the International Champion Cup than to the Europa league when you think about it. :D