Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Best goalkeepers - now and all-time?
nigelpayne 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 15 484

There are a lot of disputes as to who is the best keeper and the official lists keep changing. Manuel Neuer was #1 not long ago now many rate De Gea as better. Where does Buffon fit in? Are any of the keepers today challenging the top elite that has gone before for that #1 spot?

My top 3 right now would be:

1. De Gea
  2. Buffon
  3. Neuer

I can't really comment on the all-time best as I have only been watching football for about 3 years now. Have your say below as to the best keepers today and in all-time. I would have done a poll but I would be bound to miss out some important ones.

Comments
iHEARTfootball 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United 38 1000

I don't want to say that EPL is the best league, but I like to think that it's one of the toughest leagues for any goalkeepers to play in because of the evenly fierce competition of every team in it, so I would say that De Gea being the best PL goalkeeper for a consecutive number of years hold a lot of weight, although I do also think Neuer and Buffon are definitely up there as well.

But honestly, if I were to list up my top 5 goalkeepers in the current era, I would say that the difference between those five goalkeepers are so minuscule to the point of not having this conversation at all.

For example, other than the three mentioned, perhaps it's just me but I think Keylor Navas is also a hell of a goalkeeper too. I honestly don't understand why RM are still bidding for De Gea when they can clearly win the league and potentially the CL with Navas.

In terms of all time? Hard to say, but I'd choose Oliver Kahn.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I don't want to say that EPL is the best league, but I like to think that it's one of the toughest leagues for any goalkeepers to play in because of the evenly fierce competition of every team in it, so I would say that De Gea being the best PL goalkeeper for a consecutive number of years hold a lot of weight, although I do also think Neuer and Buffon are definitely up there as well.

But honestly, if I were to list up my top 5 goalkeepers in the current era, I would say that the difference between those five goalkeepers are so minuscule to the point of not having this conversation at all. For example, other than the three mentioned, perhaps it's just me but I think Keylor Navas is also a hell of a goalkeeper too. I honestly don't understand why RM are still bidding for him when they can clearly win the league and potentially the CL with Navas.

But honestly, if I were to list up my top 5 goalkeepers in the current era, I would say that the difference between those five goalkeepers are so minuscule to the point of not having this conversation at all.

For example, other than the three mentioned, perhaps it's just me but I think Keylor Navas is also a hell of a goalkeeper too. I honestly don't understand why RM are still bidding for him when they can clearly win the league and potentially the CL with Navas.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Best of all time are still considered to be Dino Zoff, Yashin, Banks...But times have changed and there had been many in the recent 20 years that have shown their skill and without a doubt Buffon and Neuer along with Casillas will belong in the greatest-list when they retire.

OnceABlueAlwaysABlue 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 5 211

I don't think Neuer can be rated at the top goalkeeper in the world currently considering the opposition he faces on a weekly basis compared to Premier League or La Liga goal keepers.
My top 3 would be:

1. Buffon
  2. Courtois
  3. De Gea
DarthFooty 7 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

Of all time, I agree with Zoff, Yashin, Khan, and Banks. I will also put Buffon there once he retires. If you think about it, Buffon might take the overall best ever considering he is still a top keeper in todays game. All the changes to the current game and how much he has accomplished outside his domestic league, he would seriously, in my mind, be considered the best ever.

Current best are Buffon, Neuer, De Gea.
I also like Navas, Courtois, Cech, and Casillas.

tiki_taka 7 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Lev Yashin and Dino zohff.
Modern days : Neuer still young but a second World Cup may push him in all time top 3 for me, Casillas and Buffon who both were deserving BO, Buffon in 2006 specially.
Oliver Kahn as a honorable mention.

• History

Lev Yasmin and Dino zohff.
Modern days : Neuer still young but a second World Cup may push him in all time top 3 for me, Casillas and Buffon who both were deserving BO, Buffon in 2006 specially.
Oliver Kahn as a honorable mention.

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

I don't think Neuer is better than Casillas to be honest; much less better than Buffon. Best keepers I have seen are...

1. Buffon
  2. Casillas
  3. Neuer

...with a fine line between each player. People seem to attribute Bayern's dominance to Neuer's excellence, which is not the case. Since he's joined Bayern, he's conceded 68 goals in 69 matches in the CL, in contrast to his record of 105 goals conceded in 187 matches in the Bundesliga (a league Bayern has essentially monopolized). People always point to his Bundesliga accolades when claiming his greatness next to Buffon or Casillas yet shy away from Neuer's meekness in the CL.

That's not a good reflection on a keeper who's compared to Buffon (39 GA in 48 games since Juve's return to CL) and Casillas (39 GA in 49 games with RM since Jose).

There's a couple more people didn't mention for the "greatest ever" conversation. Peter Schmeichel, Edwin van der Sar, Claudio Taffarel, Ricardo Zamora (influential in the early days of football), and Gyula Grosics (part of the "Mighty Magyar" dynasty and the first ever 'sweeper keeper').

• History

I don't think Neuer is better than Casillas to be honest; much less better than Buffon. Best keepers I have seen are...

1. Buffon
  2. Casillas
  3. Neuer

...with a fine line between each player. People seem to attribute Bayern's dominance to Neuer's excellence, which is not the case. Since he's joined Bayern, he's conceded 68 goals in 69 matches in the CL, in contrast to his record of 105 goals conceded in 187 matches in the Bundesliga (a league Bayern has essentially monopolized). People always point to his Bundesliga accolades when claiming his greatness next to Buffon or Casillas yet shy away from Neuer's meekness in the CL.

That's not a good reflection on a keeper who's compared to Buffon (39 GA in 48 games since Juve's return to CL) and Casillas (39 GA in 49 games with RM since Jose).

There's a couple more people didn't mention for the "greatest ever" conversation. Claudio Taffarel, Ricardo Zamora (influential in the early days of football), and Gyula Grosics (part of the "Mighty Magyar" dynasty and the first ever 'sweeper keeper').

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

What Lev Yashin did back in the day was totally unheard of. I similarly would rate Oliver Kahn very highly, his dominance was amazing. However, counting those whom I have seen:

1. Buffon
  2. Cech
  3. Neuer

Those right now:

1. Buffon
  2. De Gea
  3. Neuer
tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Gks rely on their defense at 90%, goals conceded aren't the best way to compare but blocks. Neuer is a monster and his 2014 season was out of this planet, I have never saw that before. But as I said he has still years and years to come he is very young. We can judge at the end probably. Casillas and Buffon Careers talk of themselves, longevity for me is essential in judging a GK.

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

For me:
Buffon
De Gea
Neuer

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

For me :
Scott Sterling
Neuer
Buffon

Eden17Hazard17 7 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

For me :
Willy Caballero
Brad Friedel
Brad Guzan

JuanMata10 7 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

Are we talking about "right now" as in this season or as in the last couple of years?

Madridista11 7 years ago
Real Madrid, Somalia 41 831

@OnceABlueAlwaysABlue Hmm, Neuer proved his excellence in CL and international stages. That has to count for something.

1) Buffon
2) Casillas
3)Neuer

Honorable Mention: Kahn. I fortunately and unfortunately witnessed the end of his career, therefore I have him as an honorable mention. If I had the opportunity to watch him in his prime I'd undoubtedly put him up as the best I've seen.

dr_chelsea 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 1 58

My top 5 during the past few years that I have watched football:

1. Buffon
  2. Neuer
  3. De Gea
  4. Courtois
  5. Casillas
nigelpayne 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 15 484

What about Petr Cech...he's good...or was

dr_chelsea 7 years ago
Chelsea, England 1 58

For me he would be around 5th with Casillas. I agree he used to be awesome but I didn't really watch him in his prime

Gennady 7 years ago
Manchester United 284 3961

Lev Yashin all-time

Buffon now

Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Cech was never anywhere near Buffon or Casillas. Still a very solid keeper in his prime, though.

Also, no one mentioned Sepp Maier! One of "the Axis" along with Muller and Beckenbauer.

• History

Cech was never anywhere near Buffon or Casillas. Still a very solid keeper in his prime, though.

Also, no one mentioned Sepp Maier! One of the axis along with Muller and Beckenbauer.

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

Cech has the most clean sheets in the premier league and his performance in 2012 in ucl was unreal.

chelsea8 7 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

Preudhomme the belgian beast