Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

BREXIT! And the effect it will have on the EPL.
KTBFFHSWE 8 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

enter image description here

What are your thoughts? What will the effect be on EPL? Will it decrease the quality of the league? Even out the revenue to the other top leagues? Decrease the ridicolous amounts of money that EPL clubs have to pay up for players? Decrease demand on new players?

Comments
quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

It will actually make Premier League clubs to pay even more.

While Wenger will be really sad cos he won't sign kids anymore :(

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

I'm not going to comment on the Brexit itself, I simply don't know enough about it to make an informed opinion.

However, it is clear that this is really rough for British clubs. How can one compete to sign prospects if literally every club outside of Britain has TWO YEARS to call dibs? One could argue that maybe British teams should be focusing more on their own academies, but let's be real, City's academy is the in terms of facility/coaching is easily the best in the world yet none of those boys have ever broken into the first team, with the only youth player looking likely to was bought after winning best player at U-18 World Cup.

From an exclusively sporting standpoint, this decision was disastrous.

raimondo90 8 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

From what I have very briefly read, the British economy is taking a dip due to the exit and I believe that will in turn affect the deposition of club to throw out millions on transfers.
I believe this is the FAs opportunity to focus on youth academies throughout England. Lower costs, homegrown talent, better future for England national team.

Argjentt 8 years ago
Real Madrid, Kosovo 1 274

Great decision by UK! Finally.

Dynastian98 8 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I doubt the British politicians particularly care what happens to the EPL with this decision. On a sporting standpoint, I think the EPL will suffer but the English national team will benefit.

liomessi10 8 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

why do we have to leave EU. so close the votes as well. hope it has good effect on country tho. at least the young players under 16 have more chance of going to spain now ;->

Marcus2011 8 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Fantastic news . Finally all those average european players will stay away off EPL and young english players will have more chances to shine . It is great news for the league and national team in the long run !

quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@Marcus don't you think this will make young english players even more expensive? Since the teams will be unable to buy young players from another countries, which can be problem for some teams to acquire enough homegrown players.

KTBFFHSWE 8 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

I agree with dynastian. I think so too. Financial experts are saying that the British GDP is going to decrease with 5% thanks to this, and the pound is already loosing it's value in a rapid paste. It will have an effect on the EPL both in terms of purchasing power, and in terms of the more limited rules regarding free movement of players in Europe.

Marcus2011 8 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

It will be fine . Clubs will start to invest more into their youth instead overpaying . There is no lack of talent in england but lack of attention and nourishment from big clubs

tiki_taka 8 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Congrats Marcus for the indepance day, we votedvoted no in 2005 but our government betrayed us, amazing News for me all the euro sceptikal like me will not be hailed as foolish haters in real Life. Now every nation Will think its possible to escape the Europeen dictatorship, Im really happy for our neighbours, our turn IS comming we are active in France to dismantle the media propagand, they said 70% of French are against lol in 2005 72% were for the exit, And things went from bad to worse. We wont let them influence people.
Well Football remains secondary when we talk about the future of our children...

tiki_taka 8 years ago

I dont think it has a big impact, English buy expensive only because every other club know their budgets, a player like the Villareal youngster could have been worth less if United wasnt able to pay that much, its about speculation there IS no price tag on players, Congrats Britts !! You gave to Spain, Italy And France hope that it is possible while our politicians keep telling us its utopia And a disaster.

Tuanis 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

Well... Like if british players weren't ridiculosuly overpriced enough. Now we will have a collapsed market in a couple of seasons due to this.

The EU players will need to figure out how to get a new work permit in order to keep playing in the EPL. As for the future, if legislation doesn't change then buying young talent would be next to imposible. Buying a player like Martial would no longer be posible, now loans will be way more popular in the league as they will need players to meet requirements for that permit.

Buying a future Martial: Imposible
Building a team like City: Imposible
Developing european youngsters like Januzaj: Imposible
Having foreigner investors in EPL teams: Significantly reduced.

tiki_taka 8 years ago

The new Scholes : possible
The new Keane or Andy cole : possible.

What did Januzaj won for his club ? Whats the point to have a 100% foreign team if they cant even be big cup contenders...

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

@tiki

Here's the basic problem:

Having good academies does not guarantee a rash of good prospects. We can argue about the lack of good game time youngsters are given in top clubs and with good reason. Managers often don't trust teenagers or even young adults in roles that first-team players have held down for years, that is understandable. If Martial doesn't get injured last season and United isn't desperately short on strikers, Marcus Rashford never happens. That's not a failure of the academies, or even a managerial error, it simply represents the risk involved in playing younger players.

But the real area this hurts British football is in the smaller clubs. Buying decent prospects for about 1 mil or less when they're 16-18 is a low risk high reward game that pays out for many clubs across Europe, and England is no exception. Under the FIFA rules, a club cannot buy a player under the age of 18 unless they are being transferred from the same country, and under the European Union trade deals, that includes the EU as a single entity for trade, which includes player transfers.

Let me give you a theoretical example. A British team spots a talented sixteen-year old in a different European country. They monitor the player for awhile, and are impressed. The British team then gets word from the club that owns the player that Real Madrid and other big clubs are sniffing around. To avoid losing this talented young player, the British team pulls the trigger and transfers the now seventeen-year old player to their club.

Turns out, that wasn't a theoretical example. That was Ronaldo, and without the EU, United would not have been able to buy him until he was eighteen, by which time it would have been too late.

The new Scholes, Keane, and Cole are all in academies somewhere in Britain, (probably City's), and simply aren't getting played. That is not the fault of EU. That is the fault of all the fanbases that put so much pressure on their clubs that managers cannot get away with playing young players unless they're living legends like Fergie. Why do you think Real Madrid doesn't put forth any superstars? How come Barcelona could only produce great academy players when they were having a down spell? Why does it seems like so many of the games best players come from teams that are known for their academies, such as Sporting, Porto, Ajax, Valencia, United, etc?

While it's partially because those academies are simply better, it's also because those teams invest in gametime for their youth. How many times have we seen big (or small) clubs poach a youngster from a big team that wasn't getting gametime (see: an infinitely long list that includes Pogba, Morata, and endless others) and that player turns out to be fantastic?

That action is the low-risk high-reward game I was talking about earlier. And British teams have no ability to play it anymore.

So does that then improve the odds of getting young British talent through the pipeline? I don't believe so.

There was a thread in which I listed where all of the clubs that the current English National Team graduated, and I just spent the last fifteen minutes looking for it with no success, so I'm sorry that I can't link it, but what I found was that outside of Southampton, Spurs, and United, almost all of England's squad came from the lower leagues. Vardy didn't graduate at all. So all of these world-class academies in the PL were producing nothing. Is that the fault of the academies, which have more invested in them than almost anywhere else in the world, or the lack of gametime for the young talent? I, personally, would argue the latter.

I also don't see how leaving the EU fixes that. Teams like Arsenal, City, Chelsea, and even United, will all continue to spend vast amounts of money on proven players as opposed to taking the risk on teenagers, unless, you know, you spent millions on the teenager and then have to justify that purchase, cough, Ronaldo, cough. Going back to Ronaldo as an example, if he was just another prospect from United's academy, would we have been willing to wade through his rough first few years? Or did we have to justify the price tag on him? I don't know the answer, but saying his price tag is irrelevant is simply idiotic.

So no, I disagree with you tiki. You can fight an idealistic war against globalization, and in some areas I even kind of agree with you, but in terms of the sport of football, and nothing else, the decision to leave the EU was a complete loss for every club in the United Kingdom.

tiki_taka 8 years ago

If you can't buy under 18 yo, you can buy him and loan him until he get able to play.
Or you can have a feeder club like Chelsea are doing with a Dutch club, I'm not really worried that much about PL clubs, they got enough money and attractivity to succeed, if they can't Brexit won't be the reason why imo.
But I agree with you in many points, nice post.
You are also right about my point, in a way once we talk about real matter, football becomes secondary. ( for me )

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

Fair enough, glad we could find some common ground.