Marcus2011 6 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501
Comments
tiki_taka 6 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

A gift.

Croatian 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 23 1323

Would be foul anywhere on pitch in 95% of cases.

Just that I think that it shouldn't be in 90+3. It was 50/50 call and Vazquez's best option was not to shoot or take down the ball, but to fall when he feels Benatia going all in.

It's 180+ minutes of football ruined by very soft foul.

The real question is would the ref consider it in other situation?

If it happened on other side? If Juventus was leading only 1-0 or 2-0?

There were more fouls that deserved to be penalties through this tournament. Dybala was punished with yellow (and after that red) because of diving but Ronaldo was allowed to flop anytime Benatia had a slight touch on him just because Benatia was yellow carded.

On other hand, Isco's goal was regular.

I still voted yes, because it probably is a penalty and in the end it wasn't unfair to give it. It's just that circumstances drive me nuts and I wish I haven't seen this whole fiasco.

Gigi's reaction also tells a lot.

quikzyyy 6 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

Even if Vazquez was falling after first soft contact it's a pen, Benatia shouldn't have put his leg into his chest, which was the main reason ref blow the penalty. It would be clean goal otherwise, definitely a pen.

Gennady 6 years ago
Manchester United 284 3961

100% penalty.

the_bald_genius 6 years ago
10 1583

penalty is not the controversial ones tbf, buffon sending off is more questionable.

Gennady 6 years ago
Manchester United 284 3961

@the_bald_genius Exactly. Sending Buffon off was not a necessity at all. No matter what he said, ref should have understood how angry he was given the fact that his team received a last minute penalty and was about to be kicked out after the hard work they just did. Yellow card, that's it.

Emobot7 6 years ago Edited
538 11432

I really wish it wasn't but it was, 95% of the time at least. Like quikzyyy said, you cannot argue Benatia put his leg on his chest, thats an instant fault imo. It really leave everyone who saw that game a sour taste because I think a lot of Real Madrid fan would have rather gone trough in over time or with a goal from Lucas Vasquez than from a penality wich Buffon wasn't even given a chance to save. Even them realize its a sad end to one of the greatest European goalkeeper in the world. Benatia for me is to blame and I wish the ref would have given a yellow to Buffon instead of red, but it was fair sadly, even if it seem cruel in the situation. Real deserve no blame in the whole incident but I really respect those that think it wasn't the most enjoyable way to go trough.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I really wish it wasn't but it was, 95% of the time at least. Like quikzyyy said, you cannot argue Benatia put his leg on his chest, thats an instant fault imo. It really leave everyone who saw that game a sour taste because I think a lot of Real Madrid fan would have rather gone trough in over time or with a goal from Lucas Vasquez than from a penality wich Buffon wasn't even given a chance to save. Even them realize its a sad end to one of the greatest European goalkeeper in the world. Benatia for me is the blame and I wish the ref would have given a yellow to Buffon instead of red, but it was fair sadly, even if it seem cruel in the situation. Real deserve no blame in the whole incident but I really respect those that think it wasn't the most enjoyable way to go trough.

DarthFooty 6 years ago
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1099

Was it a PK? Yes. The contact was light, but it was enough and from a position that forces the Ref to make the call. Most replays looks like he really comes into the player, which only enforces the call. I think I saw one angle that shows the contact was pretty light considering, but the leg came around oddly and was pretty high up.

Trust me, I was really wanting Juve to pull this off, but it was a PK in my mind. :(

The Buffon red was very questionable. One angle, it looks like he grabs and pulls the Ref a bit, thus contact can make the Ref burn you. I would have preferred to see a yellow and left him play on. Not that he would have saved that PK since Ronaldo absolutely buried it! Ya never know though. :P

SunFlash 6 years ago
USA 19 3260

If there was an illegal action that prevented a goal-scoring opportunity, that is literally why penalties are in the game. That is what happened here. The only reason it is being discussed is because of the timing, which ofc should not have factored into Oliver's decision whatsoever.

matrix 6 years ago
Arsenal, England 3 268

Why do people care so much about buffon getting sent off? He wouldn't stop Ronaldo arguably the best penalty taker in the world from scoring the penalty.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

Vasquez fell before any contact, and Benatia actually touched the ball. If it was in Barca favor, 90% of people would feel disgraced.
Juventus would have never been given a pen the opposite way, last year against Bayern everybody found an excuse about how Bayern lead got erased Byblos ref in both legs...
it’s okay keep diving until you get what you want, I’m not okay with it, I hate Suarez when he starts looking for contact and I can’t understand how ref could whistle this....

Who has ever seen Buffon insulting a ref by calling him animal ? Never happened in 23 years career...
Anyway Bayern are waiting for their revenge, and refreiing joker has been wasted before Semifinals.

10 1583

@matrix, buffon has more chance of saving the penalty than sczecny, by sending him off, it's basically a one sided decision. referee is suppose to talk to the captain of the team not ignoring and showing his back.

tiki_taka 6 years ago

There is not enough contact to give a penalty," said former LaLiga referee Andujar Oliver on Radio MARCA. "[Mehdi] Benatia even touches the ball."

Eduardo Iturralde Gonzalez, who once gave a very controversial handball to help knock Armenia out of Euro 2012 qualifying, also felt that the contact was 'not enough' when speaking on La Ser.
However, the view across Spain is far from united as Ansuategui Roca backed Oliver's call.

Another retired referee with his own controversial decisions to draw experience from, Graham Poll, gave credit to countryman Oliver for making the call in such a fierce environment.
"Oliver was courageous enough to award a penalty," Poll wrote in Daily Mail.

Even refs can’t agree, for me context is key, knowing extra time is Comming you cannot décide to kill a team compain after a historical result away Vs the champions that was cruel.

Ps : turn tv on Marseille - Leipzig things are getting crazy !!!

matrix 6 years ago
Arsenal, England 3 268

Bald genius szczesny is much younger than buffon and has better chance of saving it compared to buffon grandpa reflexes. And it doesn't matter if buffon had the chance to speak to the referee the referee cannot overturn his decision once he awarded it. What was given must be respected by buffon and not retaliate.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@matrix Experience is more important that relfex for me in penality but yeah, Buffon would have had very little chance of stopping it, CR7 pen was next to perfect. He really got so good at scoring pen. Still, it would have been much more fitting for his final CL game for him to try and stop it. The ref even take that away. :(

10 1583

@matrix, like emo said experience is important in saving pen. buffon had faced the likes of zidane, shevchenko, r9, totti and most certainly cr7 when it comes to penalty, just like edwin van der sar is old at his last season but very reliable at penalty still. the referee did not give a chance for buffon to speak and he is the captain, yellow caution at most. tell me one player that does not talk to referee when his team concede penalty.

matrix 6 years ago Edited
Arsenal, England 3 268

Well if the rest of the juve players like benatia msndzukic pjanić chiellini etc did not harass and beg to the referee maybe buffon would had a chance to actually speak to Oliver. Buffon should be commanding his own players to back off and let him speak 1on1 with the ref but he did even worse than that by swearing at the ref and assaulting him physically

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Well if the rest of the juve players like benatia msndzukic pjanić etc did not harass and beg to the referee maybe buffon would had a chance to actually speak to Oliver. Buffon should be commanding his own players to back off and let him speak 1on1 with the ref but he did even worse tgan that by swearing at the ref and assaulting him physically

10 1583

it's not the first time players complain about penalty in years of ucl matches. yes, buffon could have back his teammate off but still it wasn't a red for trying to get the referee attention.

Emobot7 6 years ago
538 11432

@baldgenius @matrix tbf, its hard to argue since we didn't see well what happened and Buffon said. But from what I heard, there is a chance Buffon might have pushed the ref. In that case, the ref is in his right to give him a red.

matrix 6 years ago
Arsenal, England 3 268

Assaulting ref is a instant red and it was clear buffon pushed Martin. Ronaldo also got reded for pushing ref in the super cup vs Barca