Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The Thread to End All Threads
SunFlash 8 years ago Edited
USA 19 3260

The best league in the world. What does that mean? How do you define that? How can you define that?

This question has been lurking in many of the discussions we've had on this forum recently, so we may as well bring it into the open. I recognize in advance that this topic rises the blood of many (not sure why), so do try to keep it civil in your responses.

Let's have facts and reason prevail over hot-headedness please.

That being said, let's begin.

How do you define "best league in the world?

There are many different ways to do this. Some common ones are:

1) The league that has the best players in the world
2) The league that has the most money in the world
3) The league that has the most competition in the world
4) The league that has the most competition for the title in the world
5) The league that has the most success in European competitions
6) The league that has the most demanding physical requirements
7) The league that is the most fun to watch/follow

I have no doubt you will use these and other methods to attempt to prove your respective league is the best, and then argue over which reason is most valid. To me, this is idiotic, so I will compare and contrast each league based off of every single above definition. Let's start small.

The argument for Serie A as the best league in the world

We have to start somewhere.

In definition 1, the best players in the world are referred too. So how does Serie A fit in there? If we use the FIFA 40-man shortlist (a terrible metric I know, but it works for this discussion) Serie A had 6 players on this list. However, they were all from a single club, Juventus. This somewhat limits the impact of this point, and while plenty of other very good players play in Serie A (Higuain, Pogba, Pjanic, Miranda, Hamsik, etc) they are all basically limited to Juventus and Napoli. Roma, the usual second team in the league for the past couple seasons, doesn't have a single player who it is possible to say is world-class. In addition, no Serie A player has won the Ballon d'or since Kaka in 2007.

Serie A fails by definition 1.

Definition 2 is not up for debate, simply fact. Serie A makes a nice chunk of money, and its owners are well-off, they have decent TV deals, but they are not on the level of Spain and England.

Serie A fails by definition 2.

Definition 3, most competition, don't make me laugh. Although there is a slight possibly Juventus won't win the league this year, they still probably will, and that will make it 5 straight league titles. In addition, the difference in points from first place to last place in Serie A is almost always the largest in all of Europe. Awful.

Serie A fails by definition 3.

Definition 4, competition for the title, just went over that.

Serie A fails by definition 4.

Definition 5, the most success in Europe, is an interesting one. The simple fact that Italy does not have 4 champions league spots, speaks volumes. In addition, because Lazio lost to Bayer in the playoff, only two teams, Juventus and Roma, made it to the CL this season. Of course, last season, Juventus were runners-up, and this season, both teams have made it to the round of 16. However, neither may see the quarter-finals, after getting drawn against Bayern and Real Madrid. Clearly, there is a long way to go for Serie A in Europe, although that is no fault of Juventus.

Serie A fails by definition 5.

Definition 6, the league that has the most demanding physical requirements, is interesting as well. England likes to talk about how physical their league is, but it is not ever close to Serie A, who have more red and yellow cards than any other European league. These are not soft cards either. Diving as it happens in England and Spain in particular is often shunned in Italy, whose national team and overall character is that of a defensive powerhouse. Much of this is opinion, but I'll give Serie A this ahead of the BPL.

Serie A meets the requirement of definition 6.

Definition 7, regarding how enjoyable it is to follow the league, I cannot speak for directly, as I do not watch Serie A. However, boring title challenges are boring. I had hope for it this season, but it now looks like Juventus again. In addition, Serie A has a reputation for being defensively focused and boring, but Shpalman did a convincing argument on that here:
http://footyroom.com/forum/football-talk/serie-a-the-most-boring-league-in-europe-think-again-69980?p=69980
However, the usual lack of a title challenge, coupled with most of the league consisting of lower quality players, means that I can't say Serie A is the best in the world for entertainment value.

Serie A fails by definition 7.

Total points for Serie A 1/7.

The argument for the Bundesliga as the best league in the world

No disrespect to Serie A, but this is where it beings to get interesting, as all the remaining leagues I will be looking at have all of their European spots.

Definition 1, regarding the best players in the world, meets an interesting case in the Bundesliga. On the FIFA 40-man shortlist, the Bundesliga has eight players, (nine technically, if you count De Bruyne). Six of those players are Bayern players, which is fair enough. Other players who come to mind that weren't on the list are Reus, Aubameyang, Hummels, Naldo, Draxler, Chicharito, Robben, Ribery,Douglas Costa, etc. Another aspect to think about is the German national team, who won the world cup primarily with Bundesliga players, with a couple non-major exceptions (remember Kroos did play for Bayern at the time). It certainly gives the Bundesliga a good argument for this definition. I will give them a half point for this, and elaborate why in the conclusion.

Bundesliga partially succeeds the requirements of definition 1.

Definition 2, or the most money, clearly is not won by the Bundesliga. Bayern has lots of money, and Wolfsburg splash around a bit, but I'm fairly certain they spend less than Italy (although I can't find the number to prove that).

The Bundesliga fails by definition 2.

Definition 3, or the most competition, is an interesting one. Really what is being examined here is the overall level of teams in the division. It is hard to directly compare the level of one leagues 10th place team to another leagues 10th place team, so I'll work with the metrics I have, with the help of one tiki-taka:

a team like wolfsburg has actually a top 4 Epl level, that means that if they get smashed often by Bayern it means that if Bayern would be playing in England the league would be a one horse league.
Dortmund or wolfsburg arent to blame if they play in the same league as Bayern (Originally posted on March 1st in the Pep thread)

I think that this is a very convincing point. Bayern is MILES ahead of the rest of the Bundesliga, so it is unfair to use Bayern as the measuring stick for the rest of the league, who have proven their worth when they play other leagues. Good example of that this season is Bayer (4th in the league) knocking Lazio (3rd in Serie A) out of the CL qualifying, or Wolfsburg (2nd) preventing Manchester United (4th) from advancing to the CL knockouts, or Dortmund (7th) smacking around Porto. With the exception of Bayern, the rest of the league is more competitive than any other league.

The Bundesliga succeeds in meeting definition 3.

Competition for a title? Find another league.

The Bundesliga horribly fails to meet the requirements of definition 4.

Definition 5, or the European success, has a case. In 2013, the CL was decided between Bayern and Dortmund. The Bundesliga has been represented in every semi-final since. However, with 2013 being a solitary exception, Bundesliga has played second fiddle to La Liga in both the CL and EL.

The Bundesliga fails by definition 5.

Definition 6, or physical requirements, the Bundesliga is pretty good. A nice winter break, coupled by solid officiating, and a desire to play good-looking football makes Bundesliga tough, but not near the level of Serie A.

The Bundesliga fails by definition 6.

Definition 7, as I've said already, is a matter of opinion. What is fun to watch/follow can vary from person to person. I do watch many Bundesliga games, and I can't say it's ever been depressing. That being said, like Serie A, the lack of a real title race kills the overall vibe of the league. If Bayern weakens, or a challenger to their dominance arises, this conversation could be very different.

The Bundesliga fails by definition 7.

Total points for the Bundesliga: 1 1/2

The argument for La Liga as the best league in the world

Here we go.

Definition 1, the best players in the world, I gave half a point to the Bundesliga because I feel that across their entire league, they have the best players. However, in terms of the best players in the world regardless of team distribution, this is not something that is up for debate. Led by Ronaldo and Messi, the squads of Barcelona and Real Madrid are full of the best players that the world has to offer. Other strong squads such as Ath Madrid, Valencia, and Sevilla also contain world-class players. I don't need to name them, you already know.

La Liga succeeds in meeting the requirements of definition 1.

Definition 2, or the most money in the world, I am going to divvy up. Barcelona and Real Madrid throw around so much money, not only in huge transfer fees (Neymar, Bale), but also stupid ones (Danilo), but it has the biggest wages that the world sees. Although watch out, China is coming for your wages.

La Liga partially meets the requirements of definition 2. The spread of wealth does not exist, but Barca and Madrid make up for that.

Definition 3, or the most competition in the world, is hardly worthy of a spot when it comes to La Liga at first glance. The domination of Barca and Real (10-2 anyone) really hurts any illusion that competition is happening. But much like the Bundesliga, I think that the elites need to be ignored for once. How do the rest of the teams stack up? It's still pretty meh. Sevilla and Valencia get results, with Athletico hanging in there, but the rest of the league has no money, and when they do, they don't spend it wisely. I do think that some of the TV deals need to cut out Barca and Madrid for the rest of the league to get better, but who sees that happening?

La Liga fails by definition 3.

Definition 4, or the title competition, again has a case. The competition between Barca and Madrid is exactly what the Bundesliga lacks. Athletico winning the title recently makes this a very good conversation. La Liga would win this definition, if it wasn't for the crazy title challenges in the BPL.

La Liga fails by definition 4.

Definition 5, or the most success in European competitions is the easiest point in this thread. Who won the CL and EL last year? Barcelona and Sevilla. Who played the CL final the year before? Both Madrids. RIP non-Spainish teams in European competition.

La Liga blatantly struts to win definition 5.

Definition 6, or physical requirements, well....yeah. La Liga players playing in Serie A with that diving would be the love-child between WWE and American football. I'd watch it. With popcorn.

La Liga fails by definition 6.

Definition 7, or the league that is most fun to watch/follow...is again a matter of opinion. I can only speak for myself here. I really enjoy watching the best players in the world, that La Liga has. Watching the Barca-Madrid game is just a rule. However, watching Barca/Madrid play anyone else is 95% likely to be super boring. 10 goals in a game just shouldn't be allowed.

I'll give La Liga a half point for this, because I understand that many people like watching the best players in the world.

Total La Liga points: 3/7

The argument for the BPL as the best league in the world

Definition 1, or best players in the world. On the FIFA 40-man shortlist, there are 4 BPL players, Hart, Aguero, Hazard, and Sanchez. Of those players, only Aguero would walk into any team's starting 11. That speaks volumes for me. I would rather have any of the Bayern/Barca/Madrid squads than a squad composed of any BPL players I wanted.

The BPL fails by definition 1.

Definition 2, or most money. Yes, the BPL has the most money. Actually, they probably don't, it's probably China. Or will be soon. Who knows. What I do know, is that the BPL is completely retarded when it comes to spending its money. United, Liverpool, and Chelsea spend metric fucktons and still won't make the CL. City's oil money can't get them titles ahead of Leicester. Arsenal refuses to spend theirs. What's the point of having money if you can't use it properly?

The BPL doesn't get a full point because of its incompetence. Still, they have tons of money, so they get a half point.

Definition 3, or most competition in the world, I already gave to the Bundesliga. I will, again, elaborate more about this in my conclusion, as it will no doubt tick off BPL fans.

The BPL fails by definition 3.

Definition 4, competition at the top. Look, when we're this far into the season and Leicester are on top, followed by a team that hasn't won in my lifetime, followed by a team that hasn't won in over a decade, followed by a team that's only won the thing twice ever, yeah, this is not even an argument.

The BPL succeeds by definition 4. Seriously, what happened at the top this year?

Definition 5, or the success in Europe...well...let's just say when City is your best chance to win something in Europe, your league probably sucks. I know Chelsea won awhile ago, but that entire team is basically gone. I mean, Terry and Ivanovic are still there, so that a plus (or minus) right? Seriously, Terry/Ivanovic/Cahill/Mikel are the only players left from that team. So don't give me that.

The BPL fails by definition 5.

Definition 6, or demanding physical requirements, is something that is usually trumpeted by BPL supporters. I would've been behind you guys for this point, but the BPL had to let law 18 in. More on that here:
http://footyroom.com/forum/football-talk/understanding-law-18-73953
Look, the LVG falling down in front of the forth official to protest Arsenal's diving was funny and all, but to me it reflected that you can actually get away with that the BPL now. Italy is way more physical, and it's not even close.

The BPL fails by definition 6.

Definition 7, or the league that is the most fun to watch/follow. I am fully behind the BPL on this one. You can watch any game, ANY game, and have no idea how it's going to end. Bornemouth beat United. Last year's dumpster fire will probably be this years champions. Norwich beat United. The game of the season involved Everton. Sunderland beat United. Last year's champions won't qualify for the CL, probably. Southampton beat United. You get the idea. (United beat Arsenal. Had to stick that last one in).

The BPL runs away with definition 7.

Total points for BPL: 2 1/2/7

Final standings:

La Liga: 3
BPL: 2 1/2
Bundesliga: 1 1/2
Serie A: 1

To conclude, I can already see some of the arguments, so let's touch on them before they even happen.

Why did you give the Bundesliga props ahead of the BPL for most competitive?

It's a pretty simple path of logic. The MLS is super competitive, but no one cares because the quality is so low. Therefore it can be concluded that competition only matters when it is going on at a high enough level. The level of play in the Bundesliga is simply higher than the BPL. Bayern miles better than any other BPL or Bundesliga side, but once you get past them, overall, the Wolfsburgs, Bayers, Dortmunds, Gladbachs, and Berlins of the world are simply better than the Liverpools, Uniteds, Arsenals, and Chelsea's of the world. This means that not only does competition happen in the Bundesliga, it happens at a higher level than in England.

Before I hear any of the "Liverpool isn't as good as Gladbach are you nuts!" arguments, keep in mind I've been hearing them for years. And when German teams play British teams, or Italian teams, or Portuguese teams, or anyone except the top level of Spain, really, they win. And since Europe (and international play) is the only metric I have, and it's logical to use it, the facts say Germany's upper table and mid-table clubs are simply better than Britain's. I can't compare the lower ones, obviously, but if Newcastle were to play Hannover, I don't think they'd win. That, of course, is my opinion, unlike the middle and upper tables.

I value X definition over X definition so this whole thread is worthless

Fine, go ahead. I just took all the arguments and lumped them together to create a conclusion. If you want to cherry-pick what I'm saying, whatever makes you happy.

So you think La Liga is the best league in the world right now?

Yes, I do. And I think the BPL needs to watch its back, because the Bundesliga is probably better as well. Having money to spend on players doesn't mean that your team is better than theirs. It should help, but it's not, because the people who are bringing in players for far more than they are worth are idiots.

I'm kind of intrigued to know how the community will receive this. And I swear, read the whole thing before you comment.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.
Comments
chelsea8 8 years ago
Chelsea, Iran 17 2219

No league is the best league, the best league doesn't exist.
There can be one team that is the best and at the moment it's barcelona till a different team wins the ucl. Srry didn't read what you wrote.

Chucksea 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea 5 267

1) The league that has the best players in the world: Definitely Liga

2) The league that has the most money in the world: PL by far, and this summer even more with the new TV deal

3) The league that has the most competition in the world: Arguable, there are a lot of "derby" matches in all of europe's leagues

4) The league that has the most competition for the title in the world: PL... One word: Leicester

5) The league that has the most success in European competitions: I'd say Liga, there are killing it atm.

6) The league that has the most demanding physical requirements: PL. It's known.

7) The league that is the most fun to watch/follow: I'm a Chelsea fan so I follow very closely the PL, and it's amazing. No season is boring. But I think this one depends on which team you support.

In my opinion, the premier league is the most exciting league in the world and therefore the best. You watch football to be entertained and the craziness of this league is exactly what you're looking for. Spanish team are ten times better at playing football, but I think it's quite boring to assume the league is almost over when Barca have a 6 pts avantage over Real or Atleti by December.

I watch Barca for the beauty of the game, I watch the PL for the goosebumps.

• History

1) The league that has the best players in the world: Definitely Liga

2) The league that has the most money in the world: PL by far, and this summer even more with the new TV deal

3) The league that has the most competition in the world: Arguable, there are a lot of "derby" matches in all of europe's leagues

4) The league that has the most competition for the title in the world: PL... One word: Leicester

5) The league that has the most success in European competitions: I'd say Liga, there are killing it atm.

6) The league that has the most demanding physical requirements: PL. It's known.

7) The league that is the most fun to watch/follow: I'm a Chelsea fan so I follow very closely the PL, and it's amazing. No season is boring. I think this one depends on which team you support.

In my opinion, the premier league is the most exciting league in the world and therefore the best. You watch football to be entertained and the craziness of this league is exactly what you're looking for. Spanish team are ten times better at playing football, but I think it's quite boring to assume the league is almost over when Barca have a 6 pts avantage over Real or Atleti by December.

I watch Barca for the beauty of the game, I watch the PL for the goosebumps.

JuanMata10 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

I'm sorry, I didn't read the whole post. I'll come back when I'll have more time at my hands. As for now, I will use the same approach as @Chucksea to add my two cents to the discussion.

1) The league that has the best players in the world: La Liga
2) The league that has the most money in the world: Premier League, obviously.
3) The league that has the most competition in the world: what @Chucksea said
4) The league that has the most competition for the title in the world: I remember someone on FootyRoom sharing the table of the Algerian League, where the 1st and the 20th team were only seperated by 5 points or something like that. So this is probably the most competitive league in the world. In the elite leagues of Europe, it has to be the Premier League, though.
5) The league that has the most success in European competitions: For the last 5 - 7 years La Liga has definitely been more successfull in European tournaments.
6) The league that has the most demanding physical requirements: Premier Leauge, and my Sunday League.
7) The league that is the most fun to watch/follow: is very subjective.

As a Chelsea fan, I obviously follow the PL more than I follow other leagues. However, the football (that admittedly isn't that pretty) in England is not what I enjoy the most about the league. What makes the PL so special to me, is the excitement, the atmosphere and the unpredictability of the fixtures that make it totally different in comparison to other leagues.

Additionally, I also really enjoy the German Bundesliga. As I live in Austria, I am able to receive German TV-channels which makes it much more convenient to follow than watching some shitty streams. If you watch the league games, you'll always be guaranteed a lot of goals and a fantastic atmosphere, which naturally every fan wants to see

Then there is La Liga. In terms of style and footballing ability, La Liga is easily the best out of the bunch. In contrast to the other two leagues, though, there are lot of dull games . The bottom half of the table isn't all that great to be honest, which makes the encounters pretty boring for neutrals in my opinion. The closest I've come to was watching Sporting Gijon versus Real Betis Sevilla because I wanted to see Alen Halilovic and Chelsea loanee Charly Musonda Jr. in action, but that game nearly put me to sleep. Generally, I only watch games in which either of the current top3 is involved in as there is an Austrian website with great streaming quality which I can use (laola1.tv).

Other than that, I don't really follow any league, not even the Austrian League. Sometimes I watch AC Milan games, though, as it is one of my favourite teams.

• History

I'm sorry, I didn't read the whole post. I'll come back when I'll have more time at my hands. As for now, I will use the same approach as @Chucksea to add my two cents to the discussion.

1) The league that has the best players in the world: La Liga
2) The league that has the most money in the world: Premier League, obviously.
3) The league that has the most competition in the world: what @Chucksea said
4) The league that has the most competition for the title in the world: I remember someone on FootyRoom sharing the table of the Algerian League, where the 1st and the 20th team were only seperated by 5 points or something like that. So this is probably the most competitive league in the world. In the elite leagues of Europe, it has to be the Premier League, though.
5) The league that has the most success in European competitions: For the last 5 - 7 years La Liga has definitely been more successfull in European tournaments.
6) The league that has the most demanding physical requirements: Premier Leauge, and my Sunday League.
7) The league that is the most fun to watch/follow: is very subjective.

As a Chelsea fan, I obviously follow the PL more than I follow other leagues. However, the football (that admittedly isn't that pretty) in England is not what I enjoy the most the league. What makes the PL so special to me, is the excitement, the atmosphere and the unpredictability of the fixtures that make it totally different in comparison to other leagues.

Additionally, I also really enjoy the German Bundesliga. As I live in Austria, I am able to receive German TV-channels which makes it much more convenient to follow than watching some shitty streams. If you watch the league games, you'll always be guaranteed a lot of goals and a fantastic atmosphere, which I enjoy a lot.

Then there is La Liga. In terms of style and footballing ability, La Liga is easily the best out of the bunch. In contrast to the other two leagues, though, there are lot of dull games . The bottom half of the table isn't all that great to be honest, which makes the encounters pretty boring for neutrals in my opinion. The closest I've come to was watching Sporting Gijon versus Real Betis Sevilla because I wanted to see Alen Halilovic and Chelsea loanee Charly Musonda Jr. in action, but that game nearly put me to sleep. Generally, I only watch games in which either of the current top3 is involved in as there is an Austrian website with great streaming quality which I can use (laola1.tv).

Other than that, I don't really follow any league, not even the Austrian League. Sometimes I watch AC Milan games, though, as it is one of my favourite teams.

ashwin1729 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

That title though....

ramaboy10 8 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

1) The league that has the best players in the world
2) The league that has the most money in the world
3) The league that has the most competition in the world
4) The league that has the most competition for the title in the world
5) The league that has the most success in European competitions
6) The league that has the most demanding physical requirements
7) The league that is the most fun to watch/follow

1) La Liga
2) Premier League
3) Premier League
4) Premier League
5) La Liga
6) Sunday League
7) Based on who you support.

SternDesSuedens 8 years ago
Bayern Munich, Germany 9 317

This is like xbox vs playstation vs nintendo, or Apple vs Samsung. No point arguing. Just let everyone enjoy their favourite league.

MisterDaniel 8 years ago
Bayern Munich, Croatia 17 92

The "Best League" doesn't exist. No such thing. It's all personal opinion.

JozeMourinho 8 years ago
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

Completely agree with MisterDaniel.

Everyone likes different things in every aspect of life.

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

This was not the response I was expecting, but I'm pleased nonetheless. If this is how you guys feel about, I don't want to hear about it in every other thread and messing up those discussions.

Either way, problem solved.

Dynastian98 8 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

What about technicality? Physicality is only part of the game. Technically, La Liga is miles ahead of other leagues - just how the PL is miles ahead in terms of physicality. That's the reason why La Liga has been killing it in the European competitions recently. The other teams have realized that they lack the financial sustenance to compete against Madrid and Barca, so they improve their technical game. Players are encouraged to make faster and more effective decisions and make more intelligent runs and plays. In return, Barca/Real/Atletico have also been forced to up their game in order to continue to pick up 80+ points every season. Look at competition now. 3rd place Real Madrid is 4 points behind Atletico but also only 4 points ahead of 4th place Villarreal. Obviously Villarreal will never catch up to Real... but would this have been imaginable a few years ago? There are only 11 games to go as well. This is well into the season. Clearly the competition and level of football in La Liga has been flying under the radar for the last couple of seasons - and that's at the bare minimum.

• History

What about technicality? Physicality is only part of the game. Technically, La Liga is miles ahead of other leagues - just how the PL is miles ahead in terms of physicality. That's the reason why La Liga has been killing it in the European competitions recently. The other teams have realized that they lack the financial sustenance to compete against Madrid and Barca, so they improve their technical game. Players are encouraged to make faster and more effective decisions and make more intelligent runs and plays.

DarthFooty 8 years ago Edited
Queens Park Rangers, United States 36 1101

Ok here goes!

This is always a contested topic because it usually includes or excludes someone’s favorite team depending on outcomes. I have enjoyed the discussion and I think that it is fun to compare opinions. At the end of the day though, it is opinion of course. After waiting and reading, here is my opinion now.

I like to consider the strength of a league by its top to bottom competition. Sure money plays a role and the players involved help bring the level up, but when you have one or two teams run away with the league title all the time, for me, I would not consider the league as a whole as strong as others. To be fair, the Spanish system plays favorites to the top two or three teams which helps keep them on top. The German system is similar as well in how they allocate the money from TV rights. Germany is getting better though.

Now I do have a bias to the EPL because I got a firsthand account of how good the level is. While technically not as gifted as say La Liga, or Serie A, the level is high enough. Add in the speed of the game due to the English play style and how physical it is, you have a crazy game environment on the pitch. Once you look at that, and then look at the league from top to bottom, week in and week out, you can surely consider it to be the best in the world.

I have played against German, Spanish, English, and Italian sides. With all due respect to each team, it was more draining playing against English teams. Perhaps it was because we faced more English sides than others and I got up more for games out of country, but if I mix in all aspects, EPL is top in my book.

One thing I forgot to mention and does have an influence is tactics. When studying your opponent before a match, you get to learn strengths and hopefully weaknesses. Each team brings their own style of course but I seemed to play better against German teams because they did not change anything up. Same with teams from Italy, it was one style and a constant formation that we were able to learn and predict. Spain was different as not only could they break us down more technically, they did change up styles a bit.

My team was very direct in play and I am sure we were every bit as predictable as the other teams but the sheer pace of our play, the physical nature, and game plan was more times than not, successful. My experience was years and years ago so athletes today I think are stronger and faster overall. I still believe that the EPL is the top league in the world, outside the Champions League itself.

• History

Reserving a spot for later. :)

raimondo90 8 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

Honestly, the EPL is not as physical as everyone claims. 10 years back it was, now its not so much. I think Serie A is the most physical at the moment but I could be wrong.

Agree with Dy on the technical part of the game, I think its even more important than physical.

Another question I thought of, which league has the better Managers, or produces better managers? That should be considered since a group of world class players will play terrible under a crap manager.

liomessi10 8 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 222 3053

1) The league that has the best players in the world: La Liga anyday

2) The league that has the most money in the world: Everyone knows it's bpl

3) The league that has the most competition in the world: at the moment maybe premier league

4) The league that has the most competition for the title in the world: premier league

5) The league that has the most success in European competitions: La Liga

6) The league that has the most demanding physical requirements: premier league.

7) The league that is the most fun to watch/follow: la liga games. nearly every team has a decent attack and lot's have rubbish defence so ther'es more goals.

Emobot7 8 years ago Edited
538 11435

Stern and Mister Daniel said it best, everyone has is own favorite, despite its bad point. Also, I agree with Raimondo on the manager thing, its really important and you can see it with team who should have more than enough strengh to dominate a league but still fail because of the weakness in their tactic or in its training session. Me, I prefer European League but I don't really have a favorite, even though I have a tendency to follow some more than other. I also think that its easier to start watching a league actively when you have a lot of friend who also enjoy this league. That's why I think we got a lot of people who enjoy the EPL on Footyroom since there is so many fan who are already there that the newcomer end up getting swept in the tendecy and end up becoming fan of the league themselve. Its mostly what happened to me anyway. :D

• History

Stern and Mister Daniel said it best, everyone has is own favorite, despite its bad point. Also, I agree with Raimondo on the manager thing, its really important and you can see it with team who should have more than enough strengh to dominate a league but still fail because of the weakness in their tactic or in its training session. Me, I prefer European League but I don't really have a favorite, even though I have a tendency to follow some more than other. I also think that its easier to start watching a league actively when you have a lot of friend who also enjoy this league. That's why I think we got a lot of people who enjoy the EPL on Footyroom since there is so many fan who are already there that the newcomer end up getting swept in the tendecy and end up becoming fan of the league. Its mostly what happened to me anyway. :D

KTBFFHSWE 8 years ago
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

@rainondo EPL is still by far the most physical league because:

*1. Harcher weather conditions usually do this to football. It's simply just easier to be technical when it's not - degrees.

1. the referees are still more lenient than their counterparts in Europe.
  2. No winterbreak, more cups than other countries (FA Cup) equals more games and worse flexibility for the European cups. This in turn equals rougher play.*

But yes, you're right.. English football is getting more technical. There are no more 'dirty Leeds' teams, al though teams like Stoke comes close.. kicking more legs than balls.

Back to the topic.. I say as I've always said. The EPL is the best league in the world, because that the much higher revenue can attract better players to the regular teams (mid-lower teams). Which explains the reason to why every team can beat every team in the EPL. Again, Barca, Real, Bayern and perhaps even Atheltico are way above the EPL teams in everything. But that's just it, the level of competivness is simply higher in the EPL. People seem to forget that a LEAGUE consists of 20 teams, and not only the top 3 (or 4 - EPL) teams that compete in the champions league. There are numerous reasons to why EPL hasn't performed in the CL, one being that Barca and Bayern etc are much better and the other being the hectic playing schedule. But one thing is for certain, you won't see any 10-2 results in the English league, and Iäm very happy for that.

For example in the FR prediction game, every time Real or Barca are to be predicted, everyone predicts them to win with at least 3 goals, no matter if they play at home or away.

JozeMourinho 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea, Greece 18 1254

^This.

Besides the ''big'' teams of EPL don't get pushed by ref's as much as the Spanish giants.

@Sunflash
Its a great thread lad sorry for ruining it by such reply but I feel it is gonna be like all league vs league threads.

• History

^This.

Besides the ''big'' teams of EPL don't get pushed by ref's as much as the Spanish giants.

Dynastian98 8 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I agree with both Rai and KTB. The EPL is much less physical nowadays, compared to about 8+ years ago, but referees still allow players to get away with a lot more than what La Liga allows. Anyone who watches both leagues can tell this difference easily.

saatvik10 8 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

Please hear me out
Being successful/unsuccessful in Europe is just a phase, which happens to all countries. England is going through an unsuccessful one right now, but it will pass.

But let's get down to the basic here -
As a football fan who likes to watch good matches, will you rather watch Villareal vs Sevilla or Man City vs Man Utd or Fiorentina vs Inter or Gladbach vs Mainz?
All these matches are 4th vs 5th in their respective league tables.
While you are deciding which match to watch, will you care which league has the most money, or the players, or the physicality?
No, you will decide which gives the most entertainment.
Now, let's take 2014-15 epl, when Chelsea won the league pretty much from day 1. Even in this situation, I would rather watch Chelsea vs Leicester (a relegation threatened team that time) than Barcelona vs Cordoba.
I think this makes a pretty much convincing argument in the EPL's favour.

Dynastian98 8 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Saatvik

I think this makes a pretty much convincing argument in the EPL's favour.

No it doesn't. All it shows is that you like EPL more. Just because you like it more doesn't make it the best. Unlike every other member's post in this thread, you have given no facts to back up your argument. Matter of fact, I'm doubting you presented a legible argument at all because everything you wrote is extremely relative.

KTBFFHSWE 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, Sweden 52 2449

He gave plenty of arguments though^. Yes, he was subjective in his approach, but if there's anything we've learnt through the years on this site is that this subject is fairly subjective anyways. I like his answer. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it an invalid argument.

• History

He gave plenty of arguments though^. Yes, he was subjective in his approach, but if there's anything we've been taught through the years on this site is that it's that this subject is fairly subjective.I like his answer. Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it an invalid argument.