Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

VIDEO: Watch Griezmann casually avoid congratulating CL winner Raphael Varane
alferroa 7 years ago Edited
Liverpool, Indonesia 63 178

enter image description here

After winning the Champions League with Real Madrid, Raphael Varane joined France’s training camp. His coach and teammates offered their congratulations and warmly greeted him.

However, Antoine Griezmann who recently committed to Atletico Madrid, who was eliminated by Real Madrid in the semifinals of the CL, was seen to avoid Varane. Griezmann slipped right by Varane without saying a word and later on, as France manager Didier Deschamps led a round of applause at the team meal, Griezmann was the only one seen without clapping and also said something to Varane (which sadly I don’t understand):

Courtesy of a translation from Goal.com At the long table, Didier Deschamps said: "The squad is complete now, with Rafa. Well done, congratulations, he’s a European champion for the third time." Then, the players broke into a round of applause, but Griezmann didn't follow his teammates.

Griezmann replied to his critics by saying “Are you kidding me?!!!”:

However, he was still quickly slammed by people:

Although most people just argue that it's because of Madrid and Atleti's rivalry, one user Tweeted (above) “And are you happy? It’s a lack of respect. You were alone in doing that. You’ve taken a big head, comeback man!”

As Brooks Peck of whatahowler.com said it: “I’m not sure what the players ended up eating at this meal, but Griezmann dumped a whole lot of salt on whatever it was. Some might call this behavior petty or unsportsmanlike, but I’m sure Varane wasn’t bothered by it, so no one else should be either. It’s ultimately just kind of funny that Griezmann would express his simmering bitterness this way.”

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

enter image description here

After winning the Champions League with Real Madrid, Raphael Varane joined France’s training camp. His coach and teammates offered their congratulations and warmly greeted him.

However, Antoine Griezmann who recently committed to Atletico Madrid, who was eliminated by Real Madrid in the semifinals of the CL, was seen to avoid Varane. Griezmann slipped right by Varane without saying a word and later on, as France manager Didier Deschamps led a round of applause at the team meal, Griezmann was the only one seen without clapping and said something to Varane (which sadly I don’t understand):

As Brooks Peck of whatahowler.com said it: “I’m not sure what the players ended up eating at this meal, but Griezmann dumped a whole lot of salt on whatever it was. Some might call this behavior petty or unsportsmanlike, but I’m sure Varane wasn’t bothered by it, so no one else should be either. It’s ultimately just kind of funny that Griezmann would express his simmering bitterness this way.”

Comments
iHEARTfootball 7 years ago
Manchester United 38 1000

Very unprofessional stuff. Probably because he gets rektd by him at the league games, :P

tuan_jinn 7 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

If this is all true, I also find it unprofessional and a bit of a sore loser attitude. I do hope he congratulated Verane privately or in another moment which the camera didn't capture

He didn't have to jump and be super happy about it, but simply congratulate with a smile is what "winner" would do.

alferroa 7 years ago

@iHEART @tuan_jinn

Agreed.. Hopefully Griez congratulated him off-camera or something.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

There was a camera, I understand. Spanish rivalries specially Madrid one are a little special to put the blame on the player. I saw it, and what's more awful is the way nobody wishes the same to Benzema while he was also deserving champ even in social media as if he does not exist anymore...

alferroa 7 years ago Edited

UPDATE TO THE ARTICLE: added some translation of the video and Griezmann's Twitter reaction to it

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

UPDATE TO THE ARTICLE: added some translation of the video and Griezmann's Twitter reaction to it

tiki_taka 7 years ago

Fucking media.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

Well, yeah, Varane is european champion, but so is Benzema. Also, its not like Varane was man of the match in that final. Carvajal and Ramos were the better defender for me. :( So I don't really understand why everyone expect Griezmann to celebrate with him like he won ballon d'or or something. Maybe I'm just being harsh. :P

Marcus2011 7 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

HAHAHA WHO CARES ? I don't understand why does he have to congratulate him anyway on his club accomplishments ? This is national team . And as you see Media spinned it well .

Seriously why no one is remembering Benzema ? shit

tiki_taka 7 years ago

Because they embarrassed not to call him back after being judged innocent...