Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Why Tottenham should be considered title contenders
amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Ok, I don't like Tottenham at all ( had to get it out). That being said, I believe there's a few reasons why Tottenham could surprise many teams and be potential title contenders

Firstly, they have the attacking trio of Eriksen, Alli and Kane. They are all superb players at their best, they can cause problems for any defense in the league, great combination and great chemistry.

Secondly, they are tactical and aware. Mauricio Pochettino and the players have a great relationship. He has been known to break teams confidence, as shown against Chelsea, and nicked the win in an greatly fought performance.

Thirdly, they have a great defense, and in games, they have shown to be great at the back. Greatly composed, and good defense for a potential league winner

Finally, the combination of Wanyama and Dembele. A great midfielding duo, and can potentially win any midfield battle in the league

What do you guys think of Tottenham? Underrated? Overrated? Potential league winners? Leave it all down below...

Comments
saatvik10 7 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

They're 3rd in the league right now, above both Manchesters and Arsenal. Why wouldn't they be considered tile contenders?

amir_keal 7 years ago

Because not many talk about Tottenham, that's why. Even now.

saatvik10 7 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

That is true but if they keep up their form and be in the top positions in March, nobody would be able to ignore them.

Their back 4 is excellent, and in the midfield they have a combination of Alli's pace and Eriksen's creativity plus the powerhouses Dembele and Wanyama. Kane is of course a reliable goalscorer any day.

In Poch they have a great manager who is willing to change his tactics to adapt to different teams and their playing styles.

Their squad is young so they have time on their side.

I don't see why they should be considered any less title contenders than Arsenal, City and even Liverpool.

amir_keal 7 years ago

I don't see why they should be considered any less title contenders than Arsenal, City and even Liverpool.

Yes, I agree with what you say.

DarioUtd 7 years ago
Manchester United 27 493

I would have to say that Tottenham are probably more title contenders than Liverpool are at the moment because Tottenham are solid in defence, midfield and attack, whereas Liverpool aren't the most solid at the back, but they are pretty solid in midfield and attack. It has to be said as well that Tottenham don't slip up against poorer teams like Liverpool (and Man Utd) do.

But we have to remember that there are other teams in the race as well, and as @saatvik10 said - I don't see why they should be considered any less title contenders than Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City (maybe even Man Utd!! - Jokes!! Lol!)

So basically, i agree with what @saatvik10 said 100%. :)

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

Agreed with everything said here. I guess the reason for wich people don't really expect them to suceed is because of their reputation of choking in recent year. You only need to check last year when they not only failed to pursue Leicester but ended up third despite needing very little to remain in second place. Similary, they failed to qualify in the CL group stage. Then again, those two thing could have been the direct result from having a still maturing team as Tottenham have one of the youngest team in the PL. But yeah, if we forget their bad luck (or poor form if you prefer), I agree that they are as good a contender for the tittle than other team who are currently in top four.

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

honestly i've considered spurs too be really competitive and real title contenders. Seems like others just hate to hate...especially the chelsea and arsenal fans. They have young squad. They play more fluidly than arsenal, they were way more consistent than chelsea last season...and they're still in top form...not too far off the league leaders. When lamela returns and sissoko lives up to expectation, they can be deadly.

Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Gonzi Sissoko might never live to the expectation, he is a huge Arsenal fan from what I heard, therefore, he might lack motivation to play for a rival side.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

@Gonzi Sissoko might never live to the expaction, he is a huge Arsenal fan from what I heard, therefore, he might lack motivation to play for a rival side.

@Gonzi Sissoko might never live to the expection, he is a huge Arsenal fan from what I heard, therefore, he might lack motivation to play for a rival side.

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Haha, what I think of Tottenham is that in 2-3 years, if they retain the core of their squad and build on it, they will likely be favorites.

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Well everything is possible we saw Leicester lift the trophy last year, my judgement on the team is that they have a great collective with a couple of great players. World class coach that i followed his spell at Espagnol. The negatives are their inexperience and lack of palmarès winners in the squad. But as I said Leicester won last year. It will depend on other top teams performances, Gatlin has a chance only if Bolt underachieve.
Arsenal in term of potential are stronger on paper, but looking how it's going actually there are high chances that they finish above them.

Being part of top 4 this season would already be an achievement since it's the 2nd time in a row, implementing themselve in the big 4 at the expense of another big club. The rest is bonus.

ashwin1729 7 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

Until Spurs actually win one, I don't really consider them as title contenders. I mean, in the last 20 years, what trophies have Spurs won? Just one Carling Cup and it was a spurs team coached by Ramos when he beat Grant's CFC in 2007 or 2008. Their best team which had both Bale and Modric came 4th and couldn't make it to UCL. 3rd place has been their highest finish, and they choked massively to finish above Arsenal...so while they may have an awesome team, I still don't consider them as a contender unless they can at least lift one trophy. ....May be I will be eating my words at the of the season, maybe they'll have a good FA cup run and may even win the title...but till then, I will maintain my opinion.

To sum it up, until Spurs can change this mindset of people, they will never be the title contenders.

"It's always horrible losing to Tottenham because they make DVDs for the next 10 years of that one victory they had over you"
-Frank Lampard

tuan_jinn 7 years ago Edited
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Good points guys!

They are more or less exactly where they are at on paper and off consider current form. But champ? nah, I dont think so. They will probably choke soon stupidly and fight for 4th :D with us

• History

Good points guys!

They are more or less exactly where they are at on paper and off consider current form.

SunFlash 7 years ago
USA 19 3260

Lodatz warmed me up to the idea and the win over Chelsea warmed me up even more, but I am still having trouble seeing it happening this season. Chelsea are the obvious favorites, but Arsenal hasn't had a lot of problems either. You have to think that at least one of City or United is also going to make a push at somepoint, and United's 8 wins in a row are getting them back to a position where a challenge is possible (after some wrote them off of even top 4 earlier in the season). With all that in mind, I think that Spurs can provide a presence, if not necessarily a challenge - the way I see Liverpool this season is somewhat the same, just waiting for those two teams to slip up in a manner that feels almost inevitable.

Lodatz 7 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

One good reason to consider us title contenders is our fixture list this season. Check it out:

21st January: Manchester City (A)
31st January: Sunderland (A)
4th February: Middlesbrough (H)
11th February: Liverpool (A)

16th February: Gent (A)
23rd February: Gent (H)

26th February: Stoke (H)
4th March: Everton (H)
11th March: Crystal Palace (A)
18th March: Southampton (H)
1st April: Burnley (A)
4th April: Swansea (A)
8th April: Watford (H)
15th April: Bournemouth (H)
22nd April: Leicester (A)

29th April: Arsenal (H)
6th May: West Ham United (A)
13th May: Manchester United (H)
21st May: Hull City (A)

So before we even get to our Ropey Cup tie, we'll have gotten trips to City and Liverpool out of the way, followed by a run of 9 games without another Top 6 team to face until Arsenal. Of course there are potential banana skins along the way, like Leicester, Everton and a 3 games in 7 days period at the start of April, but they're all very winnable fixtures.

With Wenger, Mourinho and West Ham all getting to have a say in how our season ends, that run of 9 games could make or break our season. If we take maximum (or close to it) points, then we will surely in the title race right until the very end. If we don't? Well, then maybe we don't deserve it yet.

I have a feeling either way that this is a very good opportunity for us to take.

COYS

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Lodatz Aim for top 2 at the very least. This seem like a very possible results if you manage a good run. Also, I really think you guys can take out City next week. You have a good momentum for that game and they... well their defense is... I don't know how to describe how poor City defense is.

Lodatz 7 years ago

I think City's defense is still in transition. Pep wants them to play a certain way, and hasn't had a chance yet to get that going the way he likes it. The difference is: at Bayern, he had the luxury of not playing great but still winning.

I definitely agree that now is the perfect time for us to play them, but, I also respect their talent enough to know that they could well come back with a vengeance in their next game. I take nothing for granted until the final whistle!

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Lodatz Well said, this is a good attitude. Nothing is over till it is. ;)

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

The difference is: at Bayern, he had the luxury of not playing great but still winning.

Did you watched his league games ? I did and his team played really well.
I thought facing Bayer Leverkusen twice in CL would change your mind on the German clubs level.

Bundesliga is not as easy as you think, a club like Leverkusen in midtable this season should have helped you to figured it out...

amir_keal 7 years ago

Tiki, they've been far from impressive. Bundesliga is not easy, but is EPL? No. Against Schalke, Madrid and Leverkusen they weren't that impressive if you ask me.

Lodatz 7 years ago Edited

Bundesliga is not as easy as you think, a club like Leverkusen in mid-table this season should have helped you to figured it out...

Meh. Or maybe it shows that to prioritize European football means they will suffer in the league, so before you get too cute you should probably remember that Bayern have won the league the last four seasons in a row, always 10+ points clear of whoever was in 2nd (usually Dortmund). There's no competition to them, which means they can focus on Europe while winning the league with ease (and even when they're not playing that well).

Please don't try and deny it, tiki, just because it's me saying it. We all know it's true. Pep had lots of time at Bayern to get his system right while never being in danger of losing the league. At City, trying to do the same thing... he's in 5th place.

Do the math.

• History

Bundesliga is not as easy as you think, a club like Leverkusen in mid-table this season should have helped you to figured it out...

Meh. Or maybe it shows that to prioritize European football means they will suffer in the league, so before you get too cute you should probably remember that Bayern have won the league the last four seasons in a row, always 10+ points clear of whoever was in 2nd (usually Dortmund). There's no competition to them, which means they, like Juventus, can focus on Europe while winning the league with ease (and even when they're not playing that well).

Please don't try and deny it, tiki, just because it's me saying it. We all know it's true.

Meh. Or maybe it shows that to prioritize European football means they will suffer in the league, so before you get too cute you should probably remember that Bayern have won the league the last four seasons in a row, always 10+ points clear of whoever was in 2nd (usually Dortmund). There's no competition to them, which means they can focus on Europe while winning the league with ease (and even when they're not playing that well).

Please don't try and deny it, tiki, just because it's me saying it. We all know it's true.

Please don't try and deny it, tiki, just because it's me saying it. We all know it's true.Pep had tons of time to get his system right while never being in danger of losing the league, in Germany. At City... he's in 5th place.

Do the math.