Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Will Zidane lift the curse?
Emobot7 7 years ago Edited
538 11432

Will Zidane be the first manager since Arrigo Sacchi in 1990 with AC Milan, to win back to back Champion League Cups? I didn't believed it until I saw Real Madrid yesterday, but seeing how they defeated a strong Bayern side while they weren't even playing at home, its getting harder and harder not to favour them. Considering their record against Atletico Madrid in the CL, I feel like Juventus is the only team who could really endanger them seriously if they do get trough Bayern. What do you guys think?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Will Zidane be the first manager since Arrigo Sacchi in 1990 with AC Milan, to win back to back Champion League Cups? I didn't believed it until I saw real Madrid yesterday, but seeing how they defeated a strong Bayern side while they weren't even playing at home, its getting harder and harder not to favour them. Considering their record against Atletico Madrid in the CL, I feel like Juventus is the only team who could really endanger them seriously if they do get trough Bayern. What do you guys think?

Comments
Dynastian98 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

Juventus seem hungry for the CL title. Their entire squad looks like they want it more than anything. I don't blame them. They've had domestic success for a long time, but it's the European success that has been slipping their grasp over and over. This will be the best chance they had in a while because they're fully capable of going toe-to-toe with Madrid/Bayern and Atletico, and can definitely beat Monaco/Dortmund and Leicester.

@Amir

I guess the gulf of class between a giant like Real Madrid and a upper-mid table team like Arsenal is fairly obvious this season - especially with the Allianz results.

• History

Juventus seem hungry for the CL title. Their entire squad looks like they want it more than anything. I don't blame them. They've had domestic success for a long time, but it's the European success that has been slipping their grasp over and over. This will be the best chance they had in a while because they're fully capable of going toe-to-toe with Madrid/Bayern and Atletico, and can definitely beat Monaco/Dortmund and Leicester.

@Amit

I guess the gulf of class between a giant like Real Madrid and a upper-mid table team like Arsenal is fairly obvious this season - especially with the Allianz results.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Does anyone fear the potential Real Madrid : Atletico Madrid feature?
I feel so bad for Atletico after they lost Champions league twice to their city rivals, that's forever for fans of Real to joke about them so a third time would be too much...

_Gonzi_ 7 years ago
Juventus, Argentina 2 2102

i think the second time was already too much. atletico are not as strong as they were the last 2 CLs, and real madrid are stronger now.(imo comparatively). real would surely win the fixture.

538 11432

@Gonzi Well, Juventus did improve from the season when they lost the final. They also never been a weak team for sure. They are so disciplined too, they are the perfect side to punish team who are in poor form. Juve deserve all the compliment they get in my opinion. Well, unless you compliment their new emblem, that doesn't deserve any praise IMO. XD

@Dynastian Agreed, after Juven beaten Barca, I too had this feeling that they were really going at it this season! Dybala, Buffon, Chiellini, Bonuci, Marchisio, Higuain, Pjanic. So many player who does want that big cup. :D

• History

@Gonzi Well, they did improve from the season when they lost the final. They also never been a weak team for sure. They are so disciplined too, they are the perfect side to punish team who are in poor form. Juve deserve all the compliment they get in my opinion. Well, unless you compliment their new emblem, that doesn't deserve any praise IMO. XD

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

@Emobot7 LOL @ Juve new Logo xD

538 11432

@Golazo I'm sorry but when its no broken, you don't go ahead and break it on purpose. :( Come on Juve, the original one was way better. :D

• History

@Golazo I'm sorry but when its no broken, you don't go ahead and break it on purpose. :(

tiki_taka 7 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Lewandowski is missing with Hummels, at the opposite when Bale is injured, Madrid can field Vasquez or Ascencio who for me are more useful and more compatible to the Madrid 4-3-3.

amir_keal 7 years ago
Arsenal, Netherlands 66 2895

Dynastian98

Yep, the only difference is that momentum played a massive factor in both games. Had Vidal scored that penalty, and Javi Martinez not gotten sent off, the result would have been different. Plus, let's not forget Lewandowski and Hummels were missing, and they both key factors as to why we did lose at Bayern.

If they do play at Bayern and win you, I guess that there is no 'gulf of class'.

Golazo111 7 years ago
Chelsea, Mexico 70 2607

Muller looks underwhelming sure he's working but I think he's still spending credits from his former glory of the past seasons.
With Lewandowski Bayern is a different team, thing can get really bad for Real if they are not careful.

538 11432

@Dynastian Have to say mate, I do think you might be looking Arsenal from a bit too high, they got spanked by Bayern but to be fair, their having one of the worst form I can think of at this time. Its not their talent or player wich is the problem either for me, its their mentality who is completely off. I do believe that even at their best however, they do not rivalize the best RM can offer but its true that momentum can make an huge difference in football and even a team like Arsenal could beat a team like Real Madrid or Bayern if thing did go their way. In sport, everything can happen and I'm not one of those who believe the best team alway's win. Not saying it doesn't take talent and great strategy to win trophy, but even in important game, that sometime won't be enough. :(

@Golazo Yeah, Muller if having a poor season this time around. Then again, its not a terrible one either. Hope he will pull out of it and get back to his usual level soon though. :D

• History

@Dynastian Have to say mate, I do think you might be looking Arsenal from a bit too high, they got spanked by Bayern but to be fair, their having one of the worst form I can think of at this time. Its not their talent or player wich is the problem either for me, its their mentality who is completely off. I do believe that even at their best however, they do not rivalize the best RM can offer but its true that momentum can make an huge difference in football and even a team like Arsenal could beat a team like Real Madrid or Bayern if thing did go their way. In sport, everything can happen and I'm not one of those who believe the best team alway's win. Not saying it doesn't take talent and great strategy to win trophy, but even in important game, that sometime won't be enough. :(

@Golazo Yeah, Muller if having a poor season this time around. Then again, its not a terrible one either. Hope he will pull out of it and get back to his usual level. :D

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Amir

No gulf of class? I'm not sure you've taken a good look at your league position, mate. You're 6th, and we're currently 1st. Forget Madrid, you aren't even close to two of your cross-town rivals.

And sure, keep trying to justify a 10-2 loss.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Dynastian98

keep trying to justify a 10-2 loss

I will, just keep in mind IF Bayern win you, then making fun of Arsenal losing 10 2 would be irrelevant, and keeping in mind the policy of the champions league, Leicester are lower than us, but it doesn't make them better than us.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Amir_keal To be fair mate, if Bayern beat Real by a one goal or two, their fan are still propably say that its not as bad as 10-2, if I would be you, I wouldn't prepare to use that as a way to get back at Real fan. :(

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Amir

Hey buddy, I didn't come at you... you came at me. Don't expect me to sit down and take it if you're firing shots at me and my team. You should really find someone better to take out your frustration on.

amir_keal 7 years ago

Dynastian98

Let football talk. I was trying to establish that Leicester aren't a better team than us through the policy of Champions League. Interesting, and when did I show signs of frustrations here?

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@amir @Dynast We've been off-topic for a while now on this thread, lets stop here and get back to it after the Real vs Bayern game. Let football talk like amir said. :D

Amerr30 7 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

First of all, there is no 'curse' per se.

It's just simply difficult to win this competition back to back. It is extremely difficult to win it once, let alone twice in a row. Reason for this is motivation, willingness, and tiredness.

Once a team wins the competition, I imagine they must feel like they've conquered it all. They are the team to beat, the kings. The ultimate champions. Any coach will find it difficult, if not down right impossible, to motivate his players to the same thing again next year.

Not to mention, every other team that didn't win it will look to bolster their squad. So, to stay on top for the second year in a row will require even the champions to upgrade their team because the opposition will be better. And we all know that champions rarely ever do upgrade, in most cases they actually lose one or two players following a CL success because some players would want a different challenge.

All this combined makes it close to impossible to win the title back to back, with motivation I think being the main factor. Not to mention, being the holder will make every team out there work extra hard in an attempt to be the ones to dethrone you. It's very difficult to maintain that hunger for success in the second year, once you're already on top.

It's not a matter of some magical curse. European football has simply gotten so much better in recent years.

Now, will Real Madrid win it again? It's possible.

If Real do advance to the semi-final, even with a draw, they will firmly be favorites to win the title - as they already are.

I have been following the odds after every match in CL, and there have been some fluctuations recently. Real Madrid was never the favorite, usually with the third best odds. First being Bayern, second Barcelona, and third Real. The fact that Real are the holders had something to do with this, along with Bayern just destroying everyone that got in their way.

For the first time this year, Real Madrid has the best odds for outright winner. It will all come down to Zidane and how well he motivates his players.

Every Real Madrid fan, including myself however, watches this season of Champions League in a .. detached manner. That is what the past 2 decades have conditioned all fans to do. If your team is the holder, you will not win it. It's best to be as indifferent as you can in the competition.

However, this season, if we do advance to the semis on Bayerns expense, it'll be hard not to be excited. We'll easily be the strongest team left. So why not? Zidane and CR are well known history makers.

• History

It's just simply difficult to win this competition back to back. It is extremely difficult to win it once, let alone twice in a row. Reason for this is motivation, willingness, and tiredness.

Once a team wins the competition, I imagine they must feel like they've conquered it all. They are the team to beat, the kings. The ultimate champions. Any coach will find it difficult, if not down right impossible, to motivate his players to the same thing again next year.

Not to mention, every other team that didn't win it will look to bolster their squad. So, to stay on top for the second year in a row will require even the champions to upgrade their team because the opposition will be better. And we all know that champions rarely ever do upgrade, in most cases they actually lose one or two players following a CL success because some players would want a different challenge.

All this combined makes it close to impossible to win the title back to back, with motivation I think being the main factor. Not to mention, being the holder will make every team out there work extra hard in an attempt to be the ones to dethrone you. It's very difficult to maintain that hunger for success in the second year, once you're already on top.

It's not a matter of some magical curse. European football has simply gotten so much better in recent years.

If Real do advance to the final, even with a draw, they will firmly be favorites to win the title - as they already are.
I have been following the odds after every match in CL, and there have been some fluctuations recently. Real Madrid was never the favorite, usually with the third best odds. First being Bayern, second Barcelona, and third Real. The fact that Real are the holders had something to do with this, along with Bayern just destroying everyone that got in their way.

For the first time this year, Real Madrid has the best odds for outright winner. It will all come down to Zidane and how well he motivates his players.

Every Real Madrid fan, including myself however, watches this season of Champions League in a .. detached manner. That is what the past 2 decades have conditioned all fans to do. If your team is the holder, you will not win it. It's best to be as indifferent as you can in the competition. However, this season, if we do advanced to the semis on Bayern expensive, it'll be hard not to be excited. We'll easily be the strongest team left. So why not? Zidane and CR are well known history makers.

If Real do advance to the semi-final, even with a draw, they will firmly be favorites to win the title - as they already are.

Every Real Madrid fan, including myself however, watches this season of Champions League in a .. detached manner. That is what the past 2 decades have conditioned all fans to do. If your team is the holder, you will not win it. It's best to be as indifferent as you can in the competition. However, this season, if we do advanced to the semis on Bayern expensive, it'll be hard not to be excited. We'll easily be the strongest team left. So why not? Zidane and CR are well known history makers.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

@Amerr30 Don't sell the bear pelt before killing it. Even if you do beat Bayern, you still need to win against Juve and Atletico (propable winner of their own match). But I sure understand why Real are considered favorite as of now.

Emobot7 7 years ago
538 11432

Well, after their 3-0 home victory, it hard to imagine Real could lose the semis, seem like they are heading toward a consecutive place in the CL final. Thats crazy if you ask me. :D

Dynastian98 7 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Looks like we might be the first team since Manchester United to have a shot at repeating the Champions League title.