Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

"I would win two or three Ballon d'Ors in the current era." - Rivaldo
shpalman 9 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

Comments
quikzyyy 9 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I really liked this guy, but this stupid call.

SunFlash 9 years ago
USA 19 3260

I don't disagree. Rule changes and an overall weakness across the board in world-class defenders have increased goal scoring tallies for pretty much everyone, and the superstars of the world have benefited.

However, I do strongly disagree with his claim that he would be the best player in the world today. If he couldn't do it then, he couldn't do it now.

raimondo90 9 years ago
Valencia, Argentina 89 2492

The thing is that in modern era there is an emphasis on attacking and goalscoring. That means the standard in defence has lowered a bit. Im not too sure he could realistically compete with Messi and Ronaldo though.

Dynastian98 9 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

He would almost certainly be 3rd best behind Messi and Ronaldo. Strictly speaking, however, he would not be able to emulate their performances or influence. The overall standard of individual defending has dropped, but the overall quality of unit defending has slightly improved with newer tactics/disciplinary methods.

Rivaldo would not be able to match Messi/Ronaldo's statistics because he does not have the skill sets of either. He does not have the positioning or physicality of Ronaldo, nor does he have the technicality and agility of Messi. To put it quite simply: he was a 90's player, not a 10's player. It's difficult to see him thriving in the current atmosphere because the atmosphere he played in was so different, and that resulted in him being a different player.

Marcus2011 9 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

He has a point . Rivaldo won only Spanish La Liga that year and still came ahead of David Beckham who helped United to win treble . We can say that FIFA , journalists and sport representatives were more objective in the past than they are now .

However, I don't think he would have anything this 6 years because goal and assists stats are more important than players ability , techniques and team contribution . That is why Iniesta, Snijder and Xavi never won player of the year . Rivaldo in style was not much different to those players , IMO he was even better , but his stats were not something out of ordinary and that is not enough to win Dor. He was amazing player ,and I would have love to have player like him at Chelsea .

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

He has a point . Rivaldo won only Spanish La Liga that year and still came ahead of David Beckham who helped United to win treble . We can say that FIFA , journalists and sport representatives were more objective in the past than they are now .

However, I don't think he would have anything this 6 years because goal and assists stats are more important than players ability , techniques and team contribution . That is why Iniesta, Snijder and Xavi never won player of the year . Rivaldo in style was not much different to those players and his stats were not something out of ordinary .

tiki_taka 9 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

To score those amount of goals you need a good team to rely on, he was performing with a weaker Barca, but then i dont think he would reach Messi-Ronaldo goal scoring average. Rivaldo was amazing but he had hit his peak very late, he used to be very selfish. Anyway, i think only Van Basten or Phenomeno could pretend to reach those stats in this era, with a little more protection, possession and attacking tactics creating spaces...

tuan_jinn 9 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Nope and nope... Comparing nowaday football and the old time is like comparing apple and what melon?

Having said that, I think it's utter non-sense... I like him, but he wouldn't even be in top 5... (top 10 for sure).