Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Lallana completes move to Liverpool
nandaYNWA 10 years ago Edited
Liverpool, Australia 87 946

LINK: http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/165545-liverpool-complete-lallana-deal

I don't really know how to feel about this. I feel that he was a bit overpriced at $41.7 million (Australian currency)

Couple of things:
-Is he overpriced?
-He does have Premier League experience which will be beneficial
-Is he Liverpool's marquee signing? (hope not)
-Feel sorry for Southampton because all their significant players are being poached by bigger clubs
-Will he be another Carroll?

Anyway, thoughts?

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.
Comments
iamRDM 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 32 202

common price for english players, but no doubt he is quality. good luck to him

SoccerBoss 10 years ago
Barcelona, Russia 34 804

They also bought Lambert, Probably the backup thats going to replace Suarez

TheGame 10 years ago
Manchester United 104 1380

Southampton are really screwed next season.

Heisinburg 10 years ago
Manchester United 67 1516

@SoccerBoss, absolutely no lol

ashwin1729 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

good signing I'd say...
@TheGame: Which deal would you have? AC Milan selling Ibra+Silva for 50 Mil or Southampton making 60 Mil for Shaw+ Lallana....

KingHenry 10 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

suarez to barca seems more and more likely. I expect liverpool to drop in level next season, without suarez maybe, and with the CL fixtures getting in the way of league performance.

Southampton are getting some nice money, if they invest right they can rebuild, and be good again. Probably not as good, but they can remain a good midtable team.

shpalman 10 years ago
AC Milan, Italy 55 2252

29mil € for Lallana? congrats to Southampton i'd say.

decentK 10 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

Like many ppl have said many times. Had Lallana been french/german/spanish etc. his price would be 10m. He was really great last season but I think he's overpriced. I don't believe he'll be new Carroll, he suits Liverpool more. Btw I heard he was Everton fan as a kid : D

I feel bad for Southampton, losing their best players. But I hope they invest the money well. I'd probably put 70% to new signings and 30% to their already brilliant academy.

Lodatz 10 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

^ Maybe French, but not German or Spanish. The latter in particular have become just as over-priced.

Marcus2011 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

A bit ?

I will find 4 "lallanas" in europe for the same value . Just because he is Englishman , his price tag is ridiculous.

Lodatz 10 years ago

...and the same is true of young Spanish players, and to a large extent young German players too.

It would be nice if we could stop picking on the English, in this regard. Hype is everywhere. How much was being asked for Julian Draxler, again? 40m, or something?

Illarramendi was, what, 32m or something?

Isco was 35m, I believe, and Koke is being touted around at upwards of 60m.

Everything is relative, after all.

Marcus2011 10 years ago
Chelsea FC, England 277 6501

Who Would you honestly pick Lalllana over Illarramedi , Draxler or Isco ? I am being realist . Draxler Isco and Illarramedi are also overpriced but at least they have been emerging tallents since their youth . Lallana is a recent discovery based on one season .

Lodatz 10 years ago

Illarramendi had one breakout season, and was then bought for 32m Euros.

Koke has had only two seasons, but I do agree he's done an awful lot with them. But, he's the same price as Cavani? Hrm.

Draxler is basically a German Sterling (not in terms of play, but youthful prospect), and yet he's 40m? He's 20 years old!

Isco cost 35m, even though the only thing he has actually done is get to the Champions League. Not a small thing, but, 35m worth?

C'mon, man. If people are going to harp on about Luke Shaw and Lallana, let's remember that Lambert went for 5m. This is hardly the only place where prices are enormously inflated. Potential is being used as the new yardstick of pricing, and the PL is the richest league in the world; of course our prices are going to be steep, but, they're no more so than the huge-money moves that characterize the plucking of young Spanish and German stars on the rise.

Sheesh, even Deulofeu is set at 25m, at LEAST, and Alberto Moreno is being priced at upwards of 25m too.

This is hardly an 'English only' problem. Maybe it's just the prices of today's game, altogether.

Wolfie 10 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Lallana could not be separated from his BFF Lambert.. ;) But I'm just wondering if Liverpool could have got a better player for that price.. Instead of Lambert I would have gone with Mandzuckic who is 20 mil. Instead of Lallana- Kroos 25 mil and throw in Cambiasso on a free.

TheGame 10 years ago Edited
Manchester United 104 1380

@Ashwin, good point. Although I would like to also point out that money alone did not help QPR avoid relegation. There is just something about having an established potent attack that you can rely on and Southamptom will need time to make it happen with their new players coming in. Lets not forget that they have also lost the architect of their attractive football style, Pochettino. It seems that their entire footballing infrastructure has been dismantled in one summer.

• History

@Ashwin, good point. Although I would like to point out that money alone did not help QPR avoid relegation. There is just something about having an established potent attack that you can rely on and Southamptom will need time to make it happen with their new players that will come in.

@Ashwin, good point. Although I would like to also point out that money alone did not help QPR avoid relegation. There is just something about having an established potent attack that you can rely on and Southamptom will need time to make it happen with their new players that will come in. Lets not forget that they have also lost the architect of their attractive football style, Pochettino. It seems that their entire footballing infrastructure has been dismantled.

@Ashwin, good point. Although I would like to also point out that money alone did not help QPR avoid relegation. There is just something about having an established potent attack that you can rely on and Southamptom will need time to make it happen with their new players coming in. Lets not forget that they have also lost the architect of their attractive football style, Pochettino. It seems that their entire footballing infrastructure has been dismantled.

tiki_taka 10 years ago Edited
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Nice move by Southampton :).
Liverpool seems to be worst than Barça in negotiating, i thought we were the worst :).

• History

Nice move by Southampton :).

Emrecan_58 10 years ago Edited
Besiktas 149 3375

He was really great this season but that money is just too much.
Feel sorry for Southampton but they are like Tottenham.

• History

He was really great this season but that money is just too much.

Dynastian98 10 years ago Edited
Real Madrid 483 7140

@Lodatz

Spanish players are bought based on their buyout clause. Spanish teams intentionally place a ridiculous buyout clause to ensure that they get the most out of their transfers. When looking at realistically bargained transfers, you'll realize that the immeasurably talented Isco was bought for just 27 M Euros, and the equally talented Thiago for even less. Now compare that to Lallana's 29, Caroll's 35+, Shaw's 27.... and you understand that English players are overpriced regardless of buyout clauses. English potential is priced higher than Spanish potential (for what reason I will never understand).

Spanish players are 'priced' on their buyout clause, which will always be ridiculous (Thiago's was 90 M, until certain conditions were not met, and Bayern snatched him for some 22-25 M). Compare that to Sociedad's persistence on Illarramendi's buyout clause, Madrid dished out 32-39 M for Asier.... which is absolutely ridiculous. Carvajal cost 5.5 for Leverkusen, and was bought back with a clause for 6.5. Again, Isco's 27 and Thiago's 22-25 highlight that Spanish players are not priced nearly at the level of English players. Then again, there are the exceptions. Ramos was bought for some 33 M Dollars (equivalence in Euros unknown because this was in 2005), but that was as a 19-year-old, and his transfer and massive success can be pointed to as an argument in favor of the money dished out by United for Luke Shaw.

In case you didn't know, Koke's buyout clause is 60 M, but if he didn't have one, you'd see clubs paying no more than 35 for him (unless your name is PSG or Manchester City).

• History

@Lodatz

Spanish players are bought based on their buyout clause. Spanish teams intentionally place a ridiculous buyout clause to ensure that they get the most out of their transfers. When looking at realistically bargained transfers, you'll realize that the immeasurably talented Isco was bought for just 27 M Euros, and the equally talented Thiago for even less. Now compare that to Lallana's 29, Caroll's 35+, Shaw's 27.... and you understand that English players are overpriced regardless of buyout clauses.

Koke's buyout clause is 60 M, but if he didn't have one, you'd see clubs paying no more than 35 for him (unless your name is PSG or Manchester City).

@Lodatz

Spanish players are bought based on their buyout clause. Spanish teams intentionally place a ridiculous buyout clause to ensure that they get the most out of their transfers. When looking at realistically bargained transfers, you'll realize that the immeasurably talented Isco was bought for just 27 M Euros, and the equally talented Thiago for even less. Now compare that to Lallana's 29, Caroll's 35+, Shaw's 27.... and you understand that English players are overpriced regardless of buyout clauses. English potential is priced higher than Spanish potential (for what reason I will never understand).

Koke's buyout clause is 60 M, but if he didn't have one, you'd see clubs paying no more than 35 for him (unless your name is PSG or Manchester City).

@Lodatz

Spanish players are 'priced' on their buyout clause, which will always be ridiculous (Thiago's was 90 M, until certain conditions were not met, and Bayern snatched him for some 22-25 M). Compare that to Sociedad's persistence on Illarramendi's buyout clause, Madrid dished out 32-39 M for Asier.... which is absolutely ridiculous. Carvajal cost 5.5 for Leverkusen, and was bought back with a clause for 6.5. Again, Isco's 27 and Thiago's 22-25 highlight that Spanish players are not priced nearly at the level of English players. Then again, there are the exceptions. Ramos was bought for some 33 M Dollars (equivalence in Euros unknown because this was in 2005), but that was as a 19-year-old, and his transfer and massive success can be pointed to as an argument in favor of the money dished out by United for Luke Shaw.

Lodatz 10 years ago Edited

@Dynast: But that's just it, isn't it? Because clubs now know that the likes of City, Madrid and PSG will pay those kind of ridiculous fees, that pretty much becomes the operative fee.

Atletico Madrid have said that Koke's price is 60m, because, as you say, that's his buyout clause. That's the only price that really matters, because they are perfectly happy to keep him in the event that no-one will pay it. He's not on crazy wages, and someone will have to fork out a ridiculous fee in order to get him, and so they are sitting pretty.

In England, we don't have buyout clauses (or, at least, they are the rare exception as opposed to the norm). So, when United come in for Luke Shaw, and say: "what's his price?" Southampton have to actually work a price out, instead of simply pointing to his contract. Same with Lallana. And since the buying club has no leverage other than being an attractive prospect, the selling club has no reason to screw themselves over.

And this is not just with English players, either; it's a PL phenomenon, because the PL is the richest league in the world (at present). Tottenham wanted to buy Benteke as recently as last summer, remember? Benteke isn't English, and has not performed to the standard much higher than some of the English players we're talking about, and yet the instant reply from Aston Villa? They wanted 25m (Pounds), minimum, and were prepared to stick it out until they got upwards of 30m. We didnt want to pay it, and so he got a fat new contract instead, to make sure he didn't force a transfer.

That's not much different than Lallana, a player who has lit up the league this season, or Shaw, who was many people's pick for best LB this season, being plucked from a club who has performed a damn sight better than Aston Villa, this season and the last, and to whom these players are their star assets.

In Spain those star assets have pre-established buy-out clauses, making the process lazy and inflated in price. In England they don't, and the inflation takes place in negotiations between buyer and seller. Clearly United felt that Shaw was worth the 30m, and clearly Liverpool felt that Lallana was worth the 25m, and why shouldn't they? Fabregas just returned to the league for 32m, despite having under-achieved at Barcelona, and Modric was purchased from lowly Tottenham for 33m, in the other direction.

Considering Lallana is younger then them both, and costs more then 5m (again, Pounds) less than these two players, 25m is really not a terribly inflated price.

He just seems that way to you because you don't think he is good enough to merit it. ;) You're entitled to that opinion, of course, just as I am entitled to disagree, and Liverpool are entitled to spend their money (although EVERYONE laughed about the Carroll transfer) as they see fit.

The annoying thing about it is that, for some reason, despite the exact same inflation taking place in Spain and Germany, whether it's through negotiations or buy-out clauses, it's only the ENGLISH players that you seem to ever think are over-priced.

Why is that?

(and for the record, I don't see why Thiago deserves to be considered worth more than what was paid for him. He's a fine player, but, is he really that good? I have not yet seen him earn even the price-tag he carried, and the same goes for Isco, though I'm certainly happy to be enlightened if you think you can demonstrate on their behalf)

At the end of the day: English players carry high prices because they league they develop within has high prices. Southampton want 15m for Lovren, and Tottenham want 20m for Sandro. And so, if you get an 18-year old English LB who is competing for best LB in the league, or a 25-year old English creative midfielder who has ripped his way through that league, the toughest there is, then why on Earth wouldn't his price-tag reflect that?

Once again, this all comes down to bias, and the English clubs are perfectly within their rights to apply their own biases within their own damn league. Why is it that you feel YOUR bias against them is justified?

• History

@Dynast: But that's just it, isn't it? Because clubs now know that the likes of City, Madrid and PSG will pay those kind of ridiculous fees, that pretty much becomes the operative fee.

Atletico Madrid have said that Koke's price is 60m, because, as you say, that's his buyout clause. That's the only price that really matters, because they are perfectly happy to keep him in the event that no-one will pay it. He's not on crazy wages, and someone will have to fork out a ridiculous fee in order to get him, and so they are sitting pretty.

In England, we don't have buyout clauses (or, at least, they are the rare exception as opposed to the norm. So, when United come in for Luke Shaw, and say: "what's his price?" Southampton have to actually work a price out, instead of simply pointing to his contract. Same with Lallana. And since the buying club has no leverage other than being an attractive prospect, the selling club has no reason to screw themselves over.

And this is not just with English players, either; it's a PL phenomenon, because the PL is the richest in the world (at present). Tottenham wanted to buy Benteke as recently as last summer, remember? Benteke isn't English, and has not performed to the standard much higher than some of the English players we're talking about, and yet the instant reply from Aston Villa? They wanted 25m (Pounds), minmum, and were prepared to stick it out until they got about 30m.

That's not much different than Lallana, a player who has lit up the league this season, or Shaw, who was many people's pick for best LB this season, being plucked from a club who has performed a damn sight better than Aston Villa, this season and the last, and to whom these players are their star assets.

In Spain those star assets have pre-established buy-out clauses, making the process lazy and inflated in price. In England they don't, and the inflation takes place in negotiations between buyer and seller. Clearly United felt that Shaw was worth the 30m, and clearly Liverpool felt that Lallana was worth the 25m, and why shouldn't they? Fabregas just returned to the league for 32m, despite having under-achieved at Barcelona, and MOdric was purchased from lowly Tottenham for 33m, in the other direction.

Considering Lallana is younger then them both, and costs more then 5m (again, Pounds) less than these two players, 25m is really not a terribly inflated price.

He just seems that way to you because you don't think he is good enough to merit it. ;) You're entitled to that opinion, of course, just as I am entitled to disagree, and Liverpool are entitled to spend their money (although EVERYONE laughed about the Carroll transfer) as they see fit.

The annoying thing about it is that, for some reason, despite the exact same inflation taking place in Spain and Germany, whether it's through negotiations or buy-out clauses, it's only the ENGLISH players that you seem to ever think are over-priced.

Why is that?

In England, we don't have buyout clauses (or, at least, they are the rare exception as opposed to the norm. So, when United come in for Luke Shaw, and say: "what's his price?" Southampton have to actually work a price out, instead of simply pointing to his contract. Same with Lallana. And since the buying club has no leverage other than being an attractive prospect, the selling club has no reason to screw themselves over.

And this is not just with English players, either; it's a PL phenomenon, because the PL is the richest in the world (at present). Tottenham wanted to buy Benteke as recently as last summer, remember? Benteke isn't English, and has not performed to the standard much higher than some of the English players we're talking about, and yet the instant reply from Aston Villa? They wanted 25m (Pounds), minmum, and were prepared to stick it out until they got about 30m.

In Spain those star assets have pre-established buy-out clauses, making the process lazy and inflated in price. In England they don't, and the inflation takes place in negotiations between buyer and seller. Clearly United felt that Shaw was worth the 30m, and clearly Liverpool felt that Lallana was worth the 25m, and why shouldn't they? Fabregas just returned to the league for 32m, despite having under-achieved at Barcelona, and MOdric was purchased from lowly Tottenham for 33m, in the other direction.

Why is that?

(and for the record, I don't see why Thiago deserves to be considered worth more than what was paid for him. He's a fine player, but, is he really that good? I have not yet seen him earn even the price-tag he carried, and the same goes for Isco, though I'm certainly happy to be enlightened if you think you can demonstrate on their behalf)

At the end of the day: English players carry high prices because they league they develop within has high prices. Southampton want 15m for Lovren, and Tottenham want 20m for Sandro. And so, if you get an 18-year old English LB who is competing for best LB in the league, or a 25-year old English creative midfielder who has ripped his way through that league, the toughest there is, then why on Earth wouldn't his price-tag reflect that?

Once again, this all comes down to bias, and the English clubs are perfectly within their rights to apply their own biases within their own damn league. Why is it that you feel YOUR bias against them is justified?

Eden17Hazard17 10 years ago
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Great player no doubt, I'd buy him for about 15M, but the price that Liverpool paid was too high in my opinion. A typical price for an English player. Could have spent that money on Koke, Witsel, Rabiot, or any other player such as Hakan Çalhanoğlu