Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

The Ultimate Comparison : Cristiano Ronaldo vs. Lionel Messi
Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Now let's try to do this nice and fairly. I saw that people liked my Ronaldo vs. Bale comparison in Lodatz's thread about Gareth Bale, so I decided to do one similar to the one I did before. Now, just to get things clear, I am trying to do this WITH NO BIAS. I know it's funny coming from a Real Madrid fan, but please believe me. I have no trouble saying Messi's better. But by how much? Let's find out. Enjoy the post and keep the comments and critics nice and clean gentlemen. ;)

SPEED

Ronaldo - 9.5/10
Messi 9.5/10

Ronaldo is unstoppable when he's been unleashed on a break-away. And Lionel Messi might just be the first player in history to run faster with the ball at his feet than without. Astonishing.

STRENGTH AND STAMINA

Ronaldo - 8.5/10
Messi 7.5/10

Ronaldo has more strength than people credit him for, and like I said before, him sprinting through a full 120 minutes of a match with extra time proves that he has great stamina (Portugal vs. Spain [EURO 2012] and Man United vs. Chelsea [CL final 2008]). Messi has decent stamina (he tends to fade towards the end of a match) but he has great strength. Did you see him riding all those challenges and body-checks from defenders twice his size? He does it with ease.

BALL CONTROL AND DRIBBLING.

Ronaldo - 9.5/10
Messi - 10/10

Ronaldo is a natural born dribbler, one who has every single trick in the book memorized in his head, and can pull them off with devastating results. But Messi is ahead of Ronnie in this area. Not just because Messi is better at dribbling, but because Messi is more productive with his dribbling. He knows how to find space, and his short figure and low center of gravity only helps him in this area. More often than not, Messi rounds up a 40 yard run with either a goal or an assist to his name.

LONG SHOTS

Ronaldo - 9.5/10
Messi 8.5/10

Maybe Lionel doesn't have the quadriceps that Ronnie does on his thighs, but his precision from distance is admired by many. And we all know that Ronaldo is among the best when it comes to long-ranged efforts.

SET PIECES

Ronaldo - 9.5/10
Messi 9/10

Ronaldo and Messi are both brilliant free kick takers and penalty takers, succeeding in both club and national roles, but Ronaldo has the edge here because of the large threat he poses on the receiving end of a set piece.

HEADING

Ronaldo 9.5/10
Messi 7.5/10

A little unfair to the Argentine in this area, but he's relatively good with his head than most people might expect. Remember that Champions League final against Manchester United in 2009? Ronaldo undoubtedly is a monster when it comes to heading accuracy.

FINISHING

Ronaldo - 10/10
Messi 10/10

Unfair to NOT give a 10/10 to anyone who averages 30+ goals per season. Ronaldo and Messi? They've been averaging 45+ for the last three seasons, and after this season, it might just be a 50+ average.

PASSING, CROSSING, AND VISION

Ronaldo - 8.5/10
Messi 9.5/10

Trained in the Barcelona youth academy, Lionel is a fantastic playmaker, proved by him racking up 15+ assists each year and him playing in a "false nine" role rather than a traditional center forward. Ronaldo is also a fantastic passer, although he doesn't use his vision as often. He racks up 10+ assists each year, and is a deadly crosser of the ball. But Ronaldo doesn't get the praise he deserves in this area, considering that while Messi was playing Barca's tiki-taka game from age 13, Ronaldo was playing street football (a sport focusing on individual display rather than team display), and he had to improve his vision under a certain Sir Alex Ferguson, who wouldn't let his star man get away without any assists. Just look at the goal that made it 3-1 in this video. Skip to 0:33.

Consistency

Messi - 20/20
Ronaldo 17.5/20

This is an area where the Argentine clearly excels from, perhaps, any player in history. He consistently puts up displays week in week out, with no gaps in between. Ronaldo is also very consistent, but he tends to miss the occasional match or so without a goal. And sometimes, he can be frustrated by opposition defenders and be less consistent with his displays. Nevertheless, Ronaldo's been notorious for showing up in the big games.

Attitude

Messi - 10/10
Ronaldo 7.5/10

Messi's attitude is something no one should have complains with. He's polite on and off the pitch, and he doesn't lose his head (anymore) when he feels like a decision went against him. Ronaldo tends to walk straight off the pitch when his team loses, and he looks frustrated when playing with his national team, but perhaps he's slowly changing this, as he is considerably less arrogant than when he was with Man United.

Work Rate

Messi - 10/10
Ronaldo 10/10

No complains here. The Portuguese man trains brutally every day to match his Argentine compatriot, who seems to be improving as he goes into his prime. Since Messi seems to always be a step ahead of Ronaldo, you can expect him to train just as much.

And ladies and gentlemen, to sum this up, let's do some math!

RONALDO - 109.5/120
MESSI - 111.5/120

Well, this is just my opinion. I hope you enjoyed the post, and feel free to criticize me. And if you like it, I'll think about making comparisons similar to this one between players everyone wants to compare. Keep clean in the comments below. Cheers ~

Comments
Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

And if I might add

CONTRIBUTION TO TEAM

Ronaldo - 9.5/10
Messi 10/10

And that makes the final results

RONALDO - 119/130
MESSI - 121.5/130

And in percentages, that's Ronaldo raking up 91.5% and Messi raking up 93.5%.

man_utd 11 years ago
Manchester United, South Korea 91 1444

This was actually a really good comparison!
Nice job!

Golden 11 years ago
35 693

Wow. Pretty impressive.

naman93 11 years ago
Real Madrid 82 859

Nice post Dynastian98 ..... Did a good work their.

Some Minor Changes in my opinion .... Feel free to post yours and discuss mine  :)

STRENGTH AND STAMINA**

Ronaldo - 9/10
Messi 7.5/10

BALL CONTROL AND DRIBBLING.

Ronaldo - 8.5/10
Messi - 10/10

LONG SHOTS

Ronaldo - 9.5/10
Messi 8/10

SET PIECES

Ronaldo - 9/10
Messi 8.5/10

HEADING

Ronaldo 9.5/10
Messi 6/10

PASSING, CROSSING, AND VISION

Ronaldo - 7.5/10
Messi 9.5/10

Attitude**
Messi - 9.5/10
Ronaldo 8/10

Work Rate

Messi - 9/10
Ronaldo 10/10

CONTRIBUTION TO TEAM**
Ronaldo - 10/10
Messi 10/10

Keisuke 11 years ago
Chelsea, Japan 0 830

Messi is fast ????

TheTruth 11 years ago
Barcelona, Argentina 5 246

@Dynastian98 WOW i'm impressed! This was really well done. About the set pieces... I think Messi is just a tad better at free kicks. Ronaldo totally dominates in the penalty department since he very rarely misses. About the  Messi's stamina... sometimes it feels like he's just walking but Messi acts when the time is right. I read in an interview to Lampard one time where he was asked how he was different from the time he was younger. Lampard answered that he didn't need to run after the ball as much anymore. That's because he could read the game better now with his experience! I think the same applies to Messi.

@Keisuke It says minute 88 on the video. Add to it the fact that Kaka was a beast back then and Messi was still young and that Messi isn't a defender. Of course Kaka is still a beast player but not like back then.

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Nicely done Dynastian!

@TheTruth, nice to see you took my advice and joined the forums! Welcome!

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Thanks guys! Your positive feedback really helps. =)
I'll see if I have the time to make another Player Comparison. I'll try and do Iniesta vs. Xavi, or Ozil vs. Fabregas, or maybe even a defender like Ramos vs. Pique, or Vidic vs. Kompany.

Lodatz 11 years ago
Tottenham Hotspur, England 150 4992

I'd like to see Suarez vs RVP, if you get time. :)

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Sure :). Although I don't watch EPL as much as La Liga, I'll try. But just warning you, there might be a little bias, but feel free to correct me :). I'll use the same rules as I used here.

Speed
Strength and Stamina
Ball Control and Dribbling
Finishing
Heading
Long Shots
Set Pieces
Vision (and passing and crossing)
Contribution to team
Consistency
and finally Attitude (prepare for the worst Liverpool fans) ;)

BidoneCR7 11 years ago
Real Madrid, England 2 17

Sorry forgot the:

Diving:
Messi 3/10           -> Lets be real, he's bad at it.
Ronaldo 9.5/10    -> 9.5 since he hasnt dive too much lately.

New total:
RONALDO - 128.5/140
MESSI - 124.5/140

Ronaldo wins.

ramaboy10 11 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

^

Chipping

Messi 10/10

Ronaldo 3/10

We can do this all day long...

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@ramaboy

Really? Remember Ronaldo's third goal against Ajax and his first against Dortmund this year? They were both beautiful chips done on the half-volley. Just because Ronaldo doesn't chip as much as Messi doesn't mean he isn't good at it. He just tries it less. But when he does, his success rate is the same as Messi's.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

@BidoneCR7

Do you REALLY want to bring tdot2barca in this conversation by saying the word "diving"? It's not worth it. :P

WayneRooney 11 years ago
Manchester United, Argentina 52 488

@Dynastian98 you forgot Weakfoot

WayneRooney 11 years ago
Manchester United, Argentina 52 488

and this was really good work

tdot2barca 11 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

Bidone you being unfair give Ronaldo at least a 10 

BidoneCR7 11 years ago
Real Madrid, England 2 17

I took 0.5 of since he hasn't done it in a while( 5-6 games or so) so it might be a little rusty. Last years dive vs Valencia was my favorite where he fooled me from the screen(at first). Props at him for not getting booked.

@ Ramaboy, I can go on all day as well. Penalty, tap-ins, hair style, gel used in gr/game, looks, height etc. Ronaldo will always win.

Dynastian98 11 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

So according to Bidone and tdot, DIVING is an important part of the game.

Let's look at it this way. I haven't seen Ronaldo make too much out of a situation since their last meeting against AC Milan in the CL where he made it look like he got shot in the face by Abate, despite Abate's hand just smacking him on the neck. Go ahead, prove me wrong.

tdot2barca 11 years ago
Assyriska FF, Brazil 35 956

There has been MANY softer dives where he just falls over and not clutch his face. But if you wanna see him clutching his face then here:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT9LiX2KzFM
sure the camera angle is far away but you could see the speed of the impact so you can compare that with how long he was on the floor holding his face. Don't get me wrong I really like Ronaldo hes amazing and I know Barcelona players dive too but this is about Ronaldo so lets keep it about him