Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Will the dominance of La Liga end in the following season?
Amerr30 8 years ago Edited
Real Madrid, Bosnia-Herzegovina 56 616

The top 3 teams in Spain have been dominating European Competitions in the past half decade or so. La Liga has produced, in the last 3 years 6 semi-finalists out of the possible 12.

However, this coming transfer window a lot of pundits predict a global shift in powers.

Why?

The English Premier League has signed a TV rights deal worth £5.13 billion that will amount to more than £8 billion in the beginning next season. For instance, Burnley spent more than Ajax last season in the transfer window. They are now financially stronger than Ajax.

That's not the only example though.

Newcastle United took Georginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba from PSV Eindhoven, Anderlecht and Marseille. Sunderland snatched Jeremain Lens from Dynamo Kyiv. Aston Villa grabbed Jordan Amavi from Nice and Idrissa Gueye from Lille. West Bromwich Albion landed Jose Salomon Rondon from Zenit Saint Petersburg.

Southampton signed Jordy Clasie from Feyenoord. Swansea City lured Andre Ayew from Marseille. Stoke City grabbed Xherdan Shaqiri from Inter Milan. Crystal Palace took Yohan Cabaye from Paris Saint-Germain. West Ham United bought Dimitri Payet and Angelo Ogbonna from Marseille and Juventus, respectively. Leicester City signed Gokhan Inler and Christian Fuchs from Napoli and Schalke. Bournemouth signed Max Gradel from Saint-Etienne. Watford got Jose Manuel Jurado from Spartak Moscow.

That was.. last transfer window.

This coming window, EPL clubs will get even more money from the TV rights deal.

Will they start picking apart La Liga clubs? There are a lot of teams in the Spanish La Liga that posses very talented players.

Of course, Real Madrid and Barcelona need not to worry considering their global reach and the fact that they are consistently one of the top earning clubs in the World. However, Atletico Madrid for instance, is not.

Just when Atletico managed break the monopoly of Real and Barca, they are possibly ripe for picking by EPL clubs.

What do you guys think, will the wealth of EPL lure players and talent away from La Liga?

Because, let's face it, there is no way the 'other clubs' of La Liga will be able to financially compete with even lowest placed clubs in the EPL.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

The top 3 teams in Spain have been dominating European Competitions in the past half decade or so. La Liga has produced, in the last 3 years 6 semi-finalists out of the possible 12.

However, this coming transfer window a lot of pundits predict a global shift in powers.

Why?

The English Premier League has signed a TV rights deal worth £5.13 billion that will to more than £8 billion in the next season. For instance, Burnley spent more than Ajax last season in the transfer window. They are now financially stronger than Ajax.

That's not the only example though.

Newcastle United took Georginio Wijnaldum, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba from PSV Eindhoven, Anderlecht and Marseille. Sunderland snatched Jeremain Lens from Dynamo Kyiv. Aston Villa grabbed Jordan Amavi from Nice and Idrissa Gueye from Lille. West Bromwich Albion landed Jose Salomon Rondon from Zenit Saint Petersburg.

Southampton signed Jordy Clasie from Feyenoord. Swansea City lured Andre Ayew from Marseille. Stoke City grabbed Xherdan Shaqiri from Inter Milan. Crystal Palace took Yohan Cabaye from Paris Saint-Germain. West Ham United bought Dimitri Payet and Angelo Ogbonna from Marseille and Juventus, respectively. Leicester City signed Gokhan Inler and Christian Fuchs from Napoli and Schalke. Bournemouth signed Max Gradel from Saint-Etienne. Watford got Jose Manuel Jurado from Spartak Moscow.

That was.. last transfer window.

This coming window, EPL clubs will get even more money from the TV rights deal.

Will they start picking apart La Liga clubs? There are a lot of teams in the Spanish La Liga that posses very talented players.

Of course, Real Madrid and Barcelona need not to worry considering their global reach and the fact that they are consistently one of the top earning clubs in the World. However, Atletico Madrid for instance, is not.

Just when Atletico managed break the monopoly of Real and Barca, they are possibly ripe for picking by EPL clubs.

What do you guys think, will the wealth of EPL lure players and talent away from La Liga?

Because, let's face it, there is no way the 'other clubs' of La Liga will be able to financially compete with even lowest placed clubs in the EPL.

Comments
quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

I think neither Newcastle, Aston Villa or Sunderland will do anything when they can't even survive in EPL...

decentK 8 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

Let's just say for starters, well written - a great topic. Yes, it's "La Liga vs EPL" ish stuff, but you've got a point behind it.

Anyways, I don't think massive things will happen. With Leicester, Tottenham, Man City & (Arsenal/Man Utd) in UCL next season actually nothing will happen.

Real, Barca & Bayern will definitely be there in top 4 (in UCL) and the 4th spot would be between City/PSG/Atleti.
I'd love for Arsenal to get the 1st position in the group stage in the f*cking first place, so we'd get Benfica/Zenit type of team in Round of 16. It would be easy route to top 8 (Quarters). Instead, Arsene will play our 2nd team in UCL because he doesn't give a shit about winning it, but just to make it into Round of 16.

Anyways... England needs 2 or 3 teams into the top 8 to make some kind of progress from last 5 years or so failures.

tuan_jinn 8 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Great topic.

I have a feeling, not yet. The technical differences will still be there. The media will ruin certain EPL players and the money too.

But if they do it right, in 2 or 3 years we will see MU, Chelsea and Liverpool high up there again in CL.

I somewhat thing this whole new money deal might even get the English team itself weaker

quikzyyy 8 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@decent Man, we would choke to Benfica easily, don't forget Monaco..
@tuan Well, EPL teams need much more rest before UCL. With league, FA Cup, Carling Cup players get tired easily. I would let Carling Cup for the teams which don't compete in Europe.. No one takes this cup seriously anyway. Just loosing players cause to play too often and getting injured.

tiki_taka 8 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

Money doesn't make a player run faster or control the ball better, look at Denis Suarez salary compared to Sterling one, they both had a crucial ball at the end, one did the good control and then gave a perfect assist and celebrated it like a goal, the other made a 10 meter control and even if he managed it he would have gone for the goal solo hoping to get a little glory.
I think management matters more than money, and also homegrown developement into professionals : Roman understood it, his Blues youth team is arguably the best youth team atm in Europe but look at the waste, players will be probably been signed with a big salary while you can develop the finest players for free.
In Juve the limit for wages is 6mil euros, and to reach it you should have Buffon Palmares while in City someone who never won even a trophy in his life is signed at 12mil, how can this player get motivated ? Specially if he is 20.

Money if well used is crucial, if well used.

Eden17Hazard17 8 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC 157 4232

Money doesn't guarantee success though. Look at the size of St James' Park and the quality players who call it home — Wijnaldum, Mbemba, Mitrovic, Janmaat, Krul, De Jong, Thauvin, Cabella, Sissoko, Coloccini..... (even though some are on loan), yet they are going down, even under Rafa Benitez, who not so long ago managed Real Madrid.

@Quizkzyyy - I don't think Sunderland will go down. They have a tough schedule but there are only a few things scarier in football than a Sunderland side fighting for relegation. Even scarier now that they have Big Sam. You experienced that last week.

• History

Money doesn't guarantee success though. Look at the size of the St James' Park and the quality players who call it home — Wijnaldum, Mbemba, Mitrovic, Janmaat, Krul, De Jong, Thauvin, Cabella, Sissoko, Coloccini..... (even though some are on loan), yet they are going down, even under Rafa Benitez, who not so long ago managed Real Madrid.

@Quizkzyyy - I don't think Sunderland will go down. They have a tough schedule but there are only a few things scarier in football than a Sunderland side fighting for relegation. Even scarier now that they have Big Sam. You experienced that last week.

SunFlash 8 years ago
USA 19 3260

I agree with Eden. Like I said on my thread about the topic, having money and being incompetent with it does not equal dominance. English teams spend uncomprehending amounts of money compared to other leagues and still can't hit the level of the big four teams in Europe right now.

Dynastian98 8 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

I don't think La Liga will suddenly feel the impact of the EPL's massive bank balances, but they will surely feel it in time. And it won't just be La Liga either. In 2-3 years, all the major leagues will find a depletion in talent because the EPL will have too much money. All that money will lure out the best talent to England.

However, I believe that this will only happen if English teams get their sh.it together. Chelsea, United, City, Arsenal, and Liverpool (and any other top teams) need to succeed in the European front. Sure, they'll have bucketloads of money. But a number of great players want success just that itty bitty bit more than the riches. City have done a good job reaching the semi-final this year, sure, but it's far from a convincing run. If City were to, say, thrash a number of teams on their way to the semi-finals, players would be compelled to join City because they would feel they'd have a good shot at CL glory. At this moment, though, City find themselves as the underdogs out of the four teams. More EPL teams need to reach the quarters and semis, and they must do so in a convincing manner. It's been a long time since an EPL team was considered to be one of the favorites to win the CL. The EPL needs to reach those heights once more to utilize the new funds most efficiently.

Like some people above said, the EPL teams need to spend their money wisely. Even with quality players, the teams need to play quality football. Despite having a solid set of players, it is painfully obvious that the brand of football they sport clearly does not translate into continental success. I don't think a quality team is the issue here. I think that the tactics and the style must change. When the EPL begins to change it's football style to become more technical (and theoretically be more successful in the CL and EL), the other major leagues will feel the full force of the EPL's new deal. Till then the new money won't be as effective (it will still have a massive effect, though).

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't BPL team have a tendency (or a reputation) to overpay for player? Beside, other team are propably not stupid, they are aware of that tv deal. In answer to that, I wouldn't be suprise to see them ask a bit more to the BPL team when those want to buy their player, thinking that they have enough money to buy player at a higher cost. Couldn't that balance thing a bit? Or maybe it could greatly hurt the balance of transfer in other country? I not too sure of the results to be honest.

saatvik10 8 years ago
Manchester United, India 27 540

Imagine you are a player of the top level. You know that clubs like Bayern, Barca, Madrid will pay money for you. And you also know that you have the most realistic chance of CL success with these clubs only. So the only thing that can lure you away from these clubs and to the harsh and hectic Premier League is if the English clubs pay you an exorbitant amount of money.
So, as you can see, English clubs are forced to pay 2-3 times the value of a player if they want to sign him.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

@Saatvik Yeah okay, that make sense for player who are in contact with other big team in europe to be only available for english team if the latter pay a lot of money for the player. That also explain why those team would pay more for some player. At the end of the day though, I think the biggest competition English club have for transfer targert are still other English club who also have a lot of money to recruit. I don't know why but sometime I feel like buying new player is a competition for some of the biggest club in the EPL and they do it as much as to strengen their team than to boost their reputation and show what a strong team they can assemble.

Tuanis 8 years ago Edited
Manchester United, England 86 2310

EPL will be able to compete with La Liga when United recovers its form. Chelsea needs to pick it up as well, and City with Pep is a big mystery. It's not only La Liga being in a great current form but also EPL being in a terrible one. So this process needs a little more time. Maybe a couple of years (seasons) for it to be all more leveled again.

Regarding transfers, that has been talked for a long time in the forum. Barcelona and RM will always have the first call with any players in the world and EPL will get the rest (whatever they don't want) because and economical, historic and current factor that lures any player. With the rest of the teams it's always been like that, EPL with great capability of acquiring players which only help in the local league and contributing with the league being overall better than others.

• History

EPL will be able to compete with La Liga when United recovers its form. Chelsea needs to pick it up as well, and City with Pep is a big mystery. It's not only La Liga being in a great current form but also EPL being in a terrible one. So this process needs a little more time. Maybe a couple of years (seasons) for it to be all more leveled again.

Dynastian98 8 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

The money is nice, but I say this now and I will say it until it happens: the EPL will only truly regain its prestige and honor when it starts to use bloody English talent. There's so many talented youngsters in the nation that never make it to the big stage! How do you expect to run your league when most of the players in your starting XI are foreign? Where's the room for the next Frank Lampard? Alan Shearer? Lineker? Rooney? Banks? There is none. At this rate, Rooney just might just be the last truly great Englishman for many, many years.

Emobot7 8 years ago Edited
538 11432

@Dynastion98 Its funny you say that, I also remarked the exact inverse, there is not a lot of english player who play in other league than the EPL, wich I find a bit strange since there is a lot of player of foreign country in both the EPL and other European league. That not very important of course, it just that your comment made me remember that. About what you were saying, I agree that in recent year, the bigger english club like Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal have been neglecting English talent a bit but, there is still plenty of talented english player in the EPL, maybe not quite as good as the big name you said but still. I don't really think foreign player or local player make a huge difference, I mean even if a team in the EPL had all the best english player in the world, that wouldn't mean much if they didn't had a good manager who could use them or if they didn't a good team spirit. Beside, I believe if we search a bit, we'll find many example of team who found success despite being full of foreign player. However, I also agree that the inverse is also true, we'll find plenty of team who found success while having mostly local player. On a final note, that make me think of Tottenham who have achieved great results this year and have quite a few english player in their team, I'm guessing that the kind of thing you were talking about?

• History

@Dynastion98 Its funny you say that, I also remarked the exact inverse, there is not a lot of english player who play in other league than the EPL, wich I find a bit strange since there is a lot of player of foreign country in both the EPL and other European league. That not very important of course, it just that your comment made me remember that. About what you were saying, I agree that in recent year, the bigger english club like Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal have been neglecting English talent a bit but, there is still plenty of talented english player in the EPL, maybe not quite as good as the big name you said however. I don't really think foreign player or local player make a difference, I mean even if a team in the EPL had all the best english player in the world, that wouldn't mean much if they didn't had a good manager who could use them or if they didn't a good team spirit. Beside, I believe if we search a bit, we'll find many example of team who found success despite being full of foreign player. However, I also agree that the inverse is also true, we'll find plenty of team who found success while having mostly local player. On a final note, you make me think of Tottenham who have achieved great results this year and have quite a few english player in their team, I'm guessing that the kind of thing you were talking about?

tiki_taka 8 years ago
Barcelona, France 367 9768

@tuanis Success leads to attractivity, if tomorrow Barca enters in a cycle of a long struggle no one would want to go there. Fact is that teams should have the ability to develop a player to the next level, buying finished products like '' Suarez " should stay complementary. The starting XI of Barca since 2000 were never made of the 'sexiest' players on the transfer market but youth from la Masia, Sevillan Unknown players outside Spain and some good deals...
I think you can give same players to 2 different teams, the progression and the results won't be the same just like in FIFA, how the club is rulled play a big part.
& I agree with dynast, players like Vardy, Kane or Alli should be at least 20 breakthrough per season instead of one or two, but the English players mentality has changed, I suspected Vardy to slow down once he got his wages up, but he didn't and he is clearly minotary with this kind of mentality. Passion over money could be complicated once we're talking about millions...

Glad to see objective views everywhere here I'm sure PL will comeback stronger, half a season with Klopp gave Liverpool some passion they lacked I think Conte and Pep will manage to bring their teams into competition.

Tuanis 8 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

That is exactly what I said. That attractivity is what keeps players attention focused on only the most reacently successful teams.
Man UTD. could easily build their team out of youngsters from their own production of talent but that would take some time and the team need to be world class right now. When a team performs horribly bad for a season or two the only quick way to the top is buying players and hope for the best.

Emobot7 8 years ago
538 11432

@Tuanis

When a team performs horribly bad for a season or two the only quick way to the top is buying players and hope for the best.

I completely agree with this no matter how superficial this might seem, when a team doesn't click together and deliver the results they should, bringing new face is a good way to change the dynamic and to push the other player to perform better by having competition. It doesn't hurt if you also manage to get a player which manage to motivate the other. On a last not though, I also think that sometime, change can also be done outside of the pitch, a manager, his strategy and mentality can also make a lot of problem for a team if he's not good enough or doesn't adapt well to opposing team.