Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

Battle of 2014's Two Greatest Smartphones
Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

HTC One M8 vs iPhone 6.

Which is better? Reviews and tests show the following.

HTC One M8:

• Better screen (both in screen resolution and IRL experience)
  • Faster processor (heavy, graphic intensive games have been tested on both; M8 scored best)
  • Better user interface (Android Sense 6 beats iOS 8 in almost all aspects)
  • Better battery life
  • Far better sound quality, both the speakers and headphones
  • Supports microSD cards up to 128 GB storage
  • More premium feel to the phone
  • More customazible (advantage if you prefer that)

iPhone 6:

• Better camera
  • More internal storage
  • Touch ID fingerprint
  • Simpler software (advantage if you prefer that)

...Most of us phone enthusiasts know that the HTC One M8 has sold incredibly well after being hailed by journalists and reviewers as the best smartphone of 2014. Looking from these points that the M8 wins in almost every key aspect, I would honestly be surprised if the iPhone 6 were to sell more (or not.. it's Apple).

Comments
ramaboy10 10 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

Holy shit 128GB thats more than a Windows XP PC

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

Yes, let me explain that though.

iPhone is better on internal storage while the M8 (and most other Android devices) is better on external storage.

• iPhone 6 has up to 128 GB internal storage, no SD card.
  • HTC One M8 has up to 128 GB SD card, in addition to 16 or 32 GB internal storage.

So combined HTC One M8 wins, again.

tuan_jinn 10 years ago
Manchester United, Netherlands 198 6912

Im not an Apple fan ever, but Android's phone feel outdated after 1 year because companies produce way too much model every year, like it or not itś iPhone's advantage.

None of the camera from Android's phone would produce the fruitful sweet picture like iPhone despite all those megapixel and software. In this category Apple will always top. Android has jump forward real fast but... just close.

I have seen normal business friends of mine switch to iPhone and feel much happier (more solid), Im not talking about those fan girls.

I still and will still use Android phone (having Xperia Z), but I think specification doesnt mean much at this stage yet.

Wolfie 10 years ago
Inter, Germany 94 1844

Nokia 3310. /thread.

Jimbet 10 years ago
Arsenal, Malaysia 12 1292

i dont like iphone. nor samsung. i'm using sony z2. :)

quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

"Better user interface (Android Sense 6 beats iOS 8 in almost all aspects)"
How is better?
I switched from Android (HTC) to iOS (iPhone 4 & 5) and I'm not even thinking about going back. It's suits me for what I need, I'm not missing anything, no lags, no freezes, no problems (so far).

ramaboy10 10 years ago
Mauritius 285 6463

<3 Android. iOS is for Muggles.

Tuanis 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 86 2310

iOS has by far the better user interface. As quikzyyy said, It runs perfectly and it has everything a regular phone user needs. Also, I think app stores make a huge difference here.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

quikzyyy- Sense 6 has been hailed as the most beautiful and (besides Apple) simple to use UI at the same time to date. Ever tried HTC One M8? doubt it. what a feeling it is. no lag, no freezes, etc.

tuanis- it is subjective, as I wrote. Android is more customazible, iOS is simpler. I would choose Sense 6 over iOS 8 any day because Sense is like everytime you open your phone you get amazed by how beautiful and stunning it looks. also, the HTC One M8 has been hailed as the fastest Android phone ever (in games, no freeze, no lag, freeze, stutter)

tuanis really? App store makes a difference yes, by now having fewer apps. Didnt you know? Android has catched up and are leading in amount of apps and downloads. this happened last year.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Androids-Google-Play-beats-App-Store-with-over-1-million-apps-now-officially-largest_id45680

quikzyyy 10 years ago
Arsenal 429 9002

@Lilywhite
"everytime you open your phone you get amazed by how beautiful and stunning it looks"
I was searching a bit now for a screenshots but I wasn't amazed with anything. If you post something what will be really beautiful I will agree.
"what a feeling it is. no lag, no freezes, etc."
I have never got any lag, freeze with any iPhone I got, can't say that about Android.
Android may be more customizable, not denying that fact, but with more holes, while I don't need to customize anything on iPhone.
If you talk about Android beats App store with more apps, okay. I say quality over quantity, not going to use even 100 of them.

AlexBatak 10 years ago
Chelsea, Italy 204 2707

Apple for the win. All Apple products are by miles better than anyone else. I have iPhone 5s and I think it looks better than iPhone 6 and almost has the same features and I can also download the new iOs 8 which is a huge upgrade. If you have a Macbook and iPhone then you will be amazed by this!

iOs 8 on iPhone + OS X Yosemite is Apple's best systems ever that are connected with each other so whatever you are doing on your iPhone you can finish it at the same time on your mac whether it's a phone call, sms, email etc. and a lot more new features.

Lilywhite 10 years ago
28 468

Quikzyyy, i dont expect you to understand when you haven't held a HTC One M8. The premium feeling and look is the best in the world period.

for your argument about freezing, thats exactly where you miss, android phones of 2014 (One M8, LG G3) arent like Android phones of 2012. Freezing is non existant on the HTC One M8.

@alexbatak, no they arent but I agree they were better 5 years ago. Some need to look up and see that Android has catched up and even gotten better than Apple.

heavenduel 10 years ago Edited
South Korea 18 158

I don't wanna start a flamewar here, but I have to say this.

I have owned both iOS and android devices and I want to say few things regarding some people's comments.

I'm sure most people who say whatever is better haven't really used the rival's product or used very little. I have owned Nexus 5, Samsung devices (galaxy S3/4), iPhones (not the iPhone 6/6 Plus yet), and as for tablets, I have used iPads and a Nexus 7.

I'll start with @tuan_jinn.

"Im not an Apple fan ever, but Android's phone feel outdated after 1 year
because companies produce way too much model every year, like it or not
itś iPhone's advantage."

Companies make many models because the Market demands more. Many young teens/adults change their device once every 3-4 months. I do agree I dislike the fact OEMs tend to do this, but I wouldn't say it is an iPhone's advantage. Most OEMs do release a refreshed flagship product like the Galaxy S5 (805 or aka 'prime') but that is in selective markets (asian markets) so it shouldn't bother you much and the only changes are the CPU usually. Sony's cycle is releasing flagship phones every 6 months, so yeah, that does suck. As for HTC, well.... their flagship is the HTC One, but they do tend to release a high-end product like Butterfly, which can piss consumers but they are released on selective markets so it isn't so bad.... and it is not considered a flagship anyways.

"None of the camera from Android's phone would produce the fruitful sweet
picture like iPhone despite all those megapixel and software. In this
category Apple will always top. Android has jump forward real fast
but... just close."

I agree that the iPhone takes one of the best cameras on a smartphone. Megapixels aren't everything like you said and Pixel size are important too, because you get superior low-light pictures on a larger camera sensor as it attracts more light. iPhone doesn't increase the MP, but they increase the Sensor size, which is great.

iPhones takes one of the best pictures and videos because they are a software-hardware company. They have the best integration of hardware and software which shows in their products. OEMs like Samsung and HTC are Hardware companies and they use Android (google's software) to make their phones so you can argue that their integration isn't as good as how Apple does it. However, Android has caught up significantly and I would say some of those high-end phones are on par with the iPhones camera.

If you seen camera tests between android devices and iPhones, iPhones aren't on top on specific comparison (low-light, outside, video, etc....). However, iPhones do tend to have the best overall pictures/videos, which is why I would say iPhone is overall the best camera smartphone. (unless you include nokia....)
For instance, the HTC One takes one of the best low-light pictures (better than the iPhone for instance), however for outdoor sunlight, the pictures and videos are poor.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

I don't wanna start a flamewar here, but I have to say this.

I have owned both iOS and android devices and I want to say few things regarding some people's comments.

I'm sure most people who say whatever is better haven't really used the rival's product or used very little. I have owned Nexus 5, Samsung devices (galaxy S3/4), iPhones (not the iPhone 6/6 Plus yet), and as for tablets, I have used iPads and a Nexus 7.

I'll start with @tuan_jinn.

"Im not an Apple fan ever, but Android's phone feel outdated after 1 year
because companies produce way too much model every year, like it or not
itś iPhone's advantage."

Companies make many models because the Market demands more. Many young teens/adults change their device once every 3-4 months. I do agree I dislike the fact OEMs tend to do this, but I wouldn't say it is an iPhone's advantage. Most OEMs do release a refreshed flagship product like the Galaxy S5 (805 or aka 'prime') but that is in selective markets (asian markets) so it shouldn't bother you much and the only changes are the CPU usually. Sony's cycle is releasing flagship phones every 6 months, so yeah, that does suck. As for HTC, well.... their flagship is the HTC One, but they do tend to release a high-end product like Butterfly, which can piss consumers but they are released on selective markets so it isn't so bad.... and it is not considered a flagship anyways.

"None of the camera from Android's phone would produce the fruitful sweet
picture like iPhone despite all those megapixel and software. In this
category Apple will always top. Android has jump forward real fast
but... just close."

I agree that the iPhone takes one of the best cameras on a smartphone, but it's harsh to say that iPhone are leaps above (you didn't exactly say that, but the way you said it sounded like that). Megapixels aren't everything like you said and Pixel size are important too, because you get superior low-light pictures on a larger camera sensor as it attracts more light. iPhone doesn't increase the MP, but they increase the Sensor size, which is great.

iPhones takes one of the best pictures and videos because they are a software-hardware company. They have the best integration of hardware and software which shows in their products. OEMs like Samsung and HTC are Hardware companies and they use Android (google's software) to make their phones so you can argue that their integration isn't as good as how Apple does it. However, Android has caught up significantly and I would say some of those high-end phones are on par with the iPhones camera.

If you seen camera tests between android devices and iPhones, iPhones aren't on top on specific comparison (low-light, outside, video, etc....). However, iPhones do tend to have the best overall pictures/videos, which is why I would say iPhone is overall the best camera smartphone. (unless you include nokia....)
For instance, the HTC One takes one of the best low-light pictures (better than the iPhone for instance), however for outdoor sunlight, the pictures and videos are poor.

South Korea 18 158

@quikzyyy
"How is better?
I switched from Android (HTC) to iOS (iPhone 4 & 5) and I'm not even
thinking about going back. It's suits me for what I need, I'm not
missing anything, no lags, no freezes, no problems (so far)."

hmmm, talk about irony, iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 was terrible (I know cause I used it). Lags and freezes everywhere. This problem isn't apparent on the iPhone 5 though. Since you are talking about iPhone 4, I assume u used a 2-3 year old HTC device. I agree HTC weren't that great back then (hardware was great, software is poor), but they improved a lot now. Sense 6 is actually a good Operating system. HTC removed a lot of bloat from their past Sense OS and made it clean and simple. Don't treat past experiences the same for current devices, unless you were using a new device and had these experiences.

I don't wanna surprise you guys but Android is MORE STABLE and LESS CRASHY than iOS.... Want proof? http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-4.x-is-more-than-twice-as-stable-as-iOS-7.1_id54459

Before Android Jellybean era, iOS was more stable than android.... It's a different case now.

• History

@quikzyyy
"How is better?
I
switched from Android (HTC) to iOS (iPhone 4 & 5) and I'm not even
thinking about going back. It's suits me for what I need, I'm not
missing anything, no lags, no freezes, no problems (so far)."

hmmm, talk about irony, iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 was terrible (I know cause I used it). Lags and freezes everywhere. This problem isn't apparent on the iPhone 5 though. Since you are talking about iPhone 4, I assume u used a 2-3 year old HTC device. I agree HTC weren't that great back then (hardware was great, software is poor), but they improved a lot now. Sense 6 is actually a good Operating system. HTC removed a lot of bloat from their past Sense OS and made it clean and simple. Don't treat past experiences the same for current devices, unless you were using a new device and had these experiences.

I don't wanna surprise you guys but Android is MORE STABLE and LESS CRASHY than iOS.... Want proof? http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-4.x-is-more-than-twice-as-stable-as-iOS-7.1_id54459

Before Android Jellybean era, iOS was more stable than android.... It's a different case now.

South Korea 18 158

@Tuanis

"iOS has by far the better user interface. As quikzyyy said, It runs
perfectly and it has everything a regular phone user needs. Also, I
think app stores make a huge difference here. "

It depends by what you mean by a "better User Interface". If you mean by simplicity, then yeah, iOS does have an advantage there.

But if you mean by which OS is a more capable OS, Android is way ahead. Most 'new' software features on iOS has been inspired by Android.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/great-artists-steal-the-ios-8-features-inspired-by-android/

Well, if you mean by visually, I disagree with you on what a better UI is. Before iOS 7, iOS had a visual consistency in them. But now, it is a mixture of mutiple colors, translucent background, and a lack of consistent menu/back/buttons (some are top, while others are on the bottom of the UI). It's sometimes confusing that some apps have a different visual than others, and iOS has been heavily criticized for this reason.

Android used to be terrible at UI, which I fully agree with. However, with the introduction of ICS (Ice cream sandwich), Android has a consistent UI. It's called Holo and nowadays, you see a lot of holo UI on apps. Google later uses Card UI, which shows on a lot of the designs in youtube/google+/ or android's core google apps. Starting with Android L, Google's moving towards Material Design, which they are starting to update on the Playstore, hangouts, etc...

The fact is, iOS lacks a UI consistency while Android does have it. iOS probably improved the UI on iOS 8, but i don't think it's there with android UI yet...

TheVerge explained it better than me, so have a look:

http://www.theverge.com/apple/2013/6/10/4416726/the-design-of-ios-7-simply-confusing
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741724/ios-7-review

@Lilywhite

"tuanis really? App store makes a difference yes, by now having fewer
apps. Didnt you know? Android has catched up and are leading in amount
of apps and downloads. this happened last year."

I included @Lilywhite here because it was relevant to what I was gonna say about app stores.

I'm a iOS/android dev and the first place I would make an app is iOS. Why? iOS app store brings more profit despite the easiness of uploading an app on the google play store.

Android has beaten apple in terms of the # of apps on their respectable stores, but that doesn't say much. Android has less quality apps so numbers doesn't mean much.

Even though I say that, Android did caught up with quality apps (unlikes tablets.....) so unless you want to play trending apps/games like instagram before it arrives to android ,it shouldn't affect much. Android does have some apps iOS doesn't, though that's mainly because of iOS's restriction (third party keyboards, automation, widgets, etc....) Apple is making iOS a bit more open though (third party keyboards now supported on iOS 8), although they need to open it up more for more apps can take advantage of it....

• History

@[Tuanis

"iOS has by far the better user interface. As quikzyyy said, It runs
perfectly and it has everything a regular phone user needs. Also, I
think app stores make a huge difference here. "

It depends by what you mean by a "better User Interface". If you mean by simplicity, then yeah, iOS does have an advantage there.

But if you mean by which OS is a more capable OS, Android is way ahead. Most 'new' software features on iOS has been inspired by Android.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/great-artists-steal-the-ios-8-features-inspired-by-android/

Well, if you mean by visually, I disagree with you on what a better UI is. Before iOS 7, iOS had a visual consistency in them. But now, it is a mixture of mutiple colors, translucent background, and a lack of consistent menu/back/buttons (some are top, while others are on the bottom of the UI). It's sometimes confusing that some apps have a different visual than others, and iOS has been heavily criticized for this reason.
](http://footyroom.com/profile/?id=5282)
Android used to be terrible at UI, which I fully agree with. However, with the introduction of ICS (Ice cream sandwich), Android has a consistent UI. It's called Holo and nowadays, you see a holo UI on apps. Google later uses Card UI, which shows on a lot of the designs in youtube/google+/ or android's core google apps. Starting with Android L, Google's moving towards Material Design, which they are starting to update on the Playstore, hangouts, etc...

The fact is, iOS lacks a UI consistency while Android does have it. iOS probably improved the UI on iOS 8, but i don't think it's there with android UI yet...

TheVerge explained it better than me, so have a look:

http://www.theverge.com/apple/2013/6/10/4416726/the-design-of-ios-7-simply-confusing
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741724/ios-7-review

@[Lilywhite

"tuanis really? App store makes a difference yes, by now having fewer
apps. Didnt you know? Android has catched up and are leading in amount
of apps and downloads. this happened last year."

I included @](http://footyroom.com/profile/?id=11813)[Lilywhite here because it was relevant to what I was gonna say about app stores.

I'm a iOS/android dev and the first place I would make an app is iOS. Why? iOS app store brings more profit despite the easiness of uploading an app on the google play store.

Android has beaten apple in terms of the # of apps on their respectable stores, but that doesn't say much. Android has less quality apps so numbers doesn't mean much.

Even though I say that, Android did caught up with quality apps (unlikes tablets.....) so unless you want to play trending apps/games like instagram before it arrives to android ,it shouldn't affect much. Android does have some apps iOS didn't, though that's mainly because of iOS's restriction (third party keyboards, automation, wiidgets, etc....) Apple is making iOS a bit more open though (third party keyboards now supported on iOS 8), although they need to open it up more like NFC for instance....
](http://footyroom.com/profile/?id=11813)

heavenduel 10 years ago
South Korea 18 158

@AlexBatak

"Apple for the win. All Apple products are by miles better than anyone
else. I have iPhone 5s and I think it looks better than iPhone 6 and
almost has the same features and I can also download the new iOs 8 which
is a huge upgrade. If you have a Macbook and iPhone then you will be
amazed by this!"

Wow, quite a statement.....I'm guessing you haven't used non-apple devices before from the way you are speaking. (Or just an excited apple fan)

Personally, I would say Apple products have the best integration within their products, and that is true without a question.(which I explained above, although I'm guessing no one would read it seeing how long the texts are.....)

The majority of the video is mainly catchup... don't wanna disappoint you but it's true.

There is one thing that piqued my interest and it is Swift (programming language), which is like a mixture of c and Google's Go, but it's actually useful for my case. Apple will likely ditch objective-c and go with swift in a couple of years.

"iOs
8 on iPhone + OS X Yosemite is Apple's best systems ever that are
connected with each other so whatever you are doing on your iPhone you
can finish it at the same time on your mac whether it's a phone call,
sms, email etc. and a lot more new features."

LOL, you sound exactly like one of Apple employees. of course they are Apple's best systems, it's the newest and latest XD

Phone call = great. One of the exciting features for me as well, although my main phone is an android device...(OnePlus One)

Rest of the features.... They exist on other platforms (there are apps/programs that can do this)....(Most email service has this feature built-in.... If you are talking about documents, Google docs has these for years and Microsoft Office has it as well, which was sometime around early 2014 I believe... Apple is late to the party for this part....)

You could argue that Apple is making it easier for people for having the sms integration built-in, and I agree with that. I wish Android had the built-in sms integration as well :( (Currently using an app as a workaround)

billywalendom 10 years ago
21 186

App store seals everything for me. Theres nothing like it

Roy_Guillen 10 years ago
Real Madrid, Brazil 0 3

An iPhone is an iPhone. The end.

netsten 10 years ago
Chelsea, Belgium 44 992

CroatiaFan123 10 years ago
Arsenal, Croatia 66 2775

The best in world are currently:iPhone 6 plus,HTC One M8,Samsung Galaxy S5 and Sony Xperia Z2.I have HTC One M8 and it's great,agree with all that Lilywhite said.I didn't see and hold iPhone 6 Plus,but it's probably good as everybody tells.Anyway,for now HTC M8 is better for me.