Forum
{{ post.commentCount }}

Didn't find anything.

{{ searchResult.errors[0] }}

transfer rumours and sources
KingHenry 10 years ago Edited
Arsenal, France 44 1362

Talking about transfers and transfer rumours is a lot of fun, and it makes the summer and the waiting for the start of the season a lot less boring. But I see people on Footyroom taking stories from sources that are very dubious. I think this is the 3rd summer transfer window I've followed closely, and from talking about it with other fans, you learn about sources, and which ones are legit. So let's try to compile sources, and see together who can and who cannot be trusted. I follow Arsenal so I know mainly about English sources. Fans of other leagues please feel free to contribute and share your knowledge on sources from other countries !

Some sources write what fans call "click bait" articles. The more they get clicks on their article, the more the journalist earns money. So they bait clicks with made up stories and alluring titles. Example : "LIVERPOOL PLANNING A SHOCKING SWOOP FOR VIDAL, POGBA AND REUS". We all know that's not going to happen, but they report it nonetheless and more gulible fans click and read the article. So here is a list of sources that are masters of the click bait strategy :

• The Sun
  • The Metro
  • The Mirror
  • Goal.com
  • Bleachreport
  • The Express
  • The Daily Star
  • The Daily Mail
  • Caughtoffside
  • Yahoo

These are the more notorious ones. And they are just terrible terrible newspapers, written by terrible terrible journalists. There are others that I didn’t think of. Also, any article that cites these as their source should be disregarded, even if the article is from a more reliable newspaper from the list below.

Reliable sources, from least to most reliable :

• The Telegraph. The Telegraph used to be a rather legit source, but I think they changed something at their redaction a few months ago because they seem to have adopted the click bait strategy. Still an okay source, but a lot of their stories are pretty bad these days.

• ESPN. They are an okay source, they write decent articles, but still there is a lot better.

• The Times. Same as ESPN. This is 50/50.

• The Guardian. This is a legit newspaper, when the Guardian reports on a rumour, it means that there is a strong chance that something is actually happening (talks, negociations, etc). So something is probably happenning but don’t believe everything they say yet. Similar to ESPN and the Times, but I rate them a little higher.

• Arseblog. This is specific to Arsenal, I suppose all clubs have their blogs, and their more reliable blogs. Arseblog is very good for arsenal news, they don't talk too much crap, and they're funny, and only relay rumours from good sources.

• L'Equipe. They are a very good source for Ligue 1 related transfer. They are the most read newspaper in France, ahead of newspapers that deal with general news, and their reports are legit.

• Skysports. This is the real deal. Skysports is basically the last source that reports on rumour before it's official. Usually one or two days before the transfer happens they report it and it usually means that it's in the bag.

• the BBC. They very rarely report on rumours, but like skysports if they do, you can trust them. Most of the time they only write articles on a transfer after it's happened, but sometimes they do report on rumours.

Then come the individual journalists. Some of them are well known for their insight in transfers and have big followings on twitter. The transfer window is when they get the most attention.

Here is a list of the ones I know of :

• Ornstein, works for the BBC, this guy knows, he's the best at this. Probably the most well respected source by the premiership fans I know. If you only follow one follow Ornstein.

• Di Marzio, another journalist, reports on a lot of things from a lot of leagues, interesting to follow but not near as trustworthy as Ornstein.

• Sid Lowe, similar to Di Marzio.

• Honigstein is good for most news coming from Germany and the Bundesliga.

• Jeremy Wilson, works at the Telegraph, is usually good or very good.

And to all of that you can add what fans call the ITK (in the know) twitter accounts, random guys that for random reasons have some insight on the transfer dealings of some clubs. This is very random and I won't talk too much about them because I don't trust them. Sometimes they happen to be right, but the word that describes them the best is "random". I have a few that I follow, but do your own list on twitter if you're into that.

That's it, I hope this was useful to most of you, and that thanks to that the transfer window can be more enjoyable for everyone. Of course it's fun to speculate, but it's better when you know who to believe and to trust. And it's fun to get your hopes up but it's even better to get your hopes up only when it's worth it. That way you're less prone to heartbreaks. Please feel free to contribute and get this thread going.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Talking about transfers
and transfer rumours is a lot of fun, and it makes the summer and the waiting
for the sart of the season a lot less boring. But I see people on Footyroom
taking stories from sources that are very dubious. I think this is the 3rd summer
transfer window I've followed closely, and from talking about it with other
fans, you learn about sources, and which ones are legit. So let's try to
compile sources, and see together who can and who cannot be trusted. I follow
Arsenal so I know mainly about English sources. Fans of other leagues please
feel free to contribute and share your knowledge on sources from other
countries !

Some sources write what fans call
"click bait" articles. The more they get clicks on their article, the
more the journalist earns money. So they bait clicks with made up stories and
alluring titles. Example : "LIVERPOOL PLANNING A SHOCKING SWOOP FOR VIDAL,
POGBA AND REUS". We all know that's not going to happen, but they report
it nonetheless and more gulible fans click and read the article. So here is a
list of sources that are masters of the click bait strategy :

• The Sun

• The Metro

• The Mirror

• Goal.com

• Bleachreport

• The Express

• The Daily Star

• The Daily Mail

• Caughtoffside

• Yahoo

These are the more notorious ones. And apart from the Telegraph, they are just terrible terrible newspapers, written by terrible terrible journalists. There
are others that I didn’t think of. Also, any article that cites these as their
source should be disregarded, even if the article is from a more reliable newspaper from the list below.

• The Telegraph. The Telegraph used to be a rather legit source, but I think they changed something at their redaction a few months ago because they seem to have adopted the click bait strategy. Still an okay source, but a lot of their stories are pretty bad these days.

• ESPN. They are an okay source, they write decent articles, but still there is a lot better.

• The Times. Same as ESPN. This is 50/50.

• The Guardian. This is a legit newspaper, when the Guardian reports on a rumour, it means that there is a strong chance that something is actually happening (talks, negociations, etc). So something is probably happenning but don’t believe
    everything they say yet. Similar to ESPN and the Times, but I rate them a little higher.

• Arseblog. This is specific to Arsenal, I suppose all clubs have their blogs, and their more reliable blogs. Arseblog is very good for arsenal news, they don't talk too much crap, and they're funny, and only relay rumours from good sources.

• L'Equipe. They are a very good source for Ligue 1 related transfer. They are the most read newspaper in France, ahead of newspapers that deal with general news, and their reports are legit.

• Skysports. This is the real deal. Skysports is basically the last source that reports on rumour before it's official. Usually one or two days before the transfer happens they report it and it usually means that it's in the bag.

• the BBC. They very rarely report on rumours, but like skysports if they do, you can trust them. Most of the time they only write articles on a transfer after it's happened, but sometimes they do report on rumours.

Then come the individual journalists. Some of them are well known for their insight in transfers and have big followings on twitter. The transfer window is when they get the most attention. Here is a list of the ones I know of :

• Ornstein, works for the BBC, this guy knows, he's the best at this. Probably the most well respected source by the premiership fans I know. If you only follow one follow Ornstein.

• Di Marzio, another journalist, reports on a lot of things from a lot of leagues, interesting to follow but not near as trustworthy as Ornstein.

And to all of that you can add what fans call the ITK (in the know) twitter accounts, random guys that for random reasons have some insight on the transfer dealings of some clubs. This is very random and I won't talk too much about them because I don't trust them. Sometimes they happen to be right, but the word that describes them the best is "random". I have a few that I follow, but do your own list on twitter if you're into that.

That's it, I hope this was useful to most of you, and that thanks to that the transfer window can be more enjoyable for everyone. Of course it's fun to speculate, but it's better when you know who to believe and to trust. And it's fun to get your hopes up but it's even better to get your hopes up only when it's worth it. That way you're less prone to heartbreaks. Please feel free to contribute and get this thread going.

Talking about transfers and transfer rumours is a lot of fun, and it makes the summer and the waiting for the start of the season a lot less boring. But I see people on Footyroom taking stories from sources that are very dubious. I think this is the 3rd summer transfer window I've followed closely, and from talking about it with other fans, you learn about sources, and which ones are legit. So let's try to compile sources, and see together who can and who cannot be trusted. I follow Arsenal so I know mainly about English sources. Fans of other leagues please feel free to contribute and share your knowledge on sources from other countries !

Some sources write what fans call "click bait" articles. The more they get clicks on their article, the more the journalist earns money. So they bait clicks with made up stories and alluring titles. Example : "LIVERPOOL PLANNING A SHOCKING SWOOP FOR VIDAL, POGBA AND REUS". We all know that's not going to happen, but they report it nonetheless and more gulible fans click and read the article. So here is a list of sources that are masters of the click bait strategy :

• The Sun
  • The Metro
  • The Mirror
  • Goal.com
  • Bleachreport
  • The Express
  • The Daily Star- The Daily Mail- Caughtoffside- Yahoo

These are the more notorious ones. And apart from the Telegraph, they are just terrible terrible newspapers, written by terrible terrible journalists. There are others that I didn’t think of. Also, any article that cites these as their source should be disregarded, even if the article is from a more reliable newspaper from the list below.

• ESPN. They are an okay source, they write decent articles, but still there is a lot better.- The Times. Same as ESPN. This is 50/50.

• The Guardian. This is a legit newspaper, when the Guardian reports on a rumour, it means that there is a strong chance that something is actually happening (talks, negociations, etc). So something is probably happenning but don’t believe everything they say yet. Similar to ESPN and the Times, but I rate them a little higher.

Then come the individual journalists. Some of them are well known for their insight in transfers and have big followings on twitter. The transfer window is when they get the most attention.

• The Sun
  • The Metro
  • The Mirror
  • Goal.com
  • Bleachreport
  • The Express
  • The Daily Star
  • The Daily Mail
  • Caughtoffside
  • Yahoo

These are the more notorious ones. And apart from the Telegraph, they are just terrible terrible newspapers, written by terrible terrible journalists. There are others that I didn’t think of. Also, any article that cites these as their source should be disregarded, even if the article is from a more reliable newspaper from the list below.

• ESPN. They are an okay source, they write decent articles, but still there is a lot better.- The Times. Same as ESPN. This is 50/50.

Comments
decentK 10 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

Great that you took time to inform this, because some still don't understand it.

I've also noticed that they also do trap ppl who know that it isn't legit transfer. For example 90% of the dailymail readers don't even read the article, they go just straight to the comments to say to ppl that it isn't legit. Okey, it's great to inform, but that way you just give another click to nonsense story, which makes these idiot writers even more happy.

KingHenry 10 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

@decentK yes I'll confess that sometimes I click those links to have a laugh at the huge shitstorm that is the comment section. And thanks for acknowledging my efforts, it makes me feel gud.

Dynastian98 10 years ago
Real Madrid 483 7140

Bild is almost 100% accurate when it comes to Bayern, and same goes for Marca on Madrid.

ashwin1729 10 years ago
Manchester United, England 10 704

@KingHenry: True, but goal.com has been a little reliable for the past two years...something must have changed.

KingHenry 10 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

@ashwin goal.com also report on stories from skysports or the guardian. Sometimes they happen to be right due to the amount of stories they run. I still think they are a poor source.

Vendetta 10 years ago Edited
Chelsea FC, Egypt 202 3025

Well said. Here is a picture that summarizes what @KH said.

Edit: open image in a new tab if the texts are too small.

• History
Showing previous versions of this text.

Well said. Here is a picture that summarizes what @KH said.

decentK 10 years ago
Arsenal 38 2896

@kinghenry yeah me 2 haha..

@vendetta great pic.

JuanMata10 10 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

@Dyn: What? Bild is not a reliable source at all, it's pretty much the german equivalent to the Daily Mail.

Salahadin 10 years ago
Real Madrid, France 11 554

For Madrid and Barca = Marca
Every club got a paper don't worry.

KingHenry 10 years ago
Arsenal, France 44 1362

@juanmata I agree with Dynastian, from what I've heard from other fans they are trustworthy when it comes to Bayern Munich. Don't listen to the rest of what they say though.

JuanMata10 10 years ago
Chelsea, Austria 17 1696

@KingHenry: I'm from Austria and we're one of Germanys neighbouring countries, so I know which reputation it has in German-speaking regions. Even when it comes to Bayern, they make up sooo much fake rumours that one of them is a lucky hit and may actually be true. Who do you think brought up that 'Navas to Bayern'? Or the "done" deal of Cuadrado to Bayern before Matthias Sammer eventually denied any interested in the player. Trust me, it's safe to say that Bild is the most unreliable source, even for Bayern.